Zodiac Killer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
To note-The 50th anniversary of Cheri Jo Bates murder was last week.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/c...ing-Zodiac-Killer-muders/stories/201612180033

In November, more than two dozen cold-case investigators convened in Oakland to learn if a new Pittsburgh-based tip in the case was worth pursuing. Did a handwriting sample of a northern California man, submitted by his suspicious daughter, match that of the Zodiac Killer? They wanted to know.

Nationally renowned handwriting expert Michelle Dresbold of the East End told them there are so many similarities, many of them quite unusual, in what she could compare between the handwriting samples of the Zodiac and the father that further investigation is definitely warranted...

The amateur sleuths are members of Pitt’s Students Conquering Cold Cases club. Ms. Dresbold’s presentation was their last meeting of the fall semester. Their first meeting of the spring semester will be Wednesday, when they’ll resume examining the Zodiac case and others.

The members, who must meet certain academic and other criteria, plan careers in law, law enforcement and similar fields, and hone their analytic skills in tackling unsolved cases.

Mike Mageau identified Arthur Leigh Allen has the shooter

Mike Mageau identified Arthur Leigh Allen has the shooter

22 years after the incident and having previously maintained that he only had "impressions" ,due to his injuries, trauma and the fact that the Zodiac shined his flashlight into his face. At the time of the murder,
he also described a much smaller man than Allen.

He also, by that point, had a history of substance abuse.

I've been wondering. First we have the 13 hole postcard. Then on the next card, the halloween card in 1970, we see there are 13 eyes looking from the trees. Then the next letter in the beginning of March of 1971 had mentioned "peek through the pines" (Sierra Club card). Obviously something is going on with searching around trees and the number 13 (number of victims claimed). Maybe around that location of the Sierra Club is where some of his remaining victims were buried or is where the killer lived?

Wondering if there is a connection between the Sierra Club and Donna Lass. I know it has to of been looked into before. I just think if genuine letter it is important. Probably the closest we will get to knowing his whereabouts or a victim's whereabouts during 1971.

Just a strange fact I look up missing persons often and figured I would look up who went missing after or before Z sent the letter in March 22, 1971. For the "Peek through the pines" letter in March, I found on the national list of missing persons that:

One missing person listed right before the letter was from California
and the 2 missing people next on the list after the letter was sent were from California.

One of the 2 missing after the letter was sent was a young man Hitchiking to San Fransisco from the desert area in CA.

Could Z have anything to do with these 3 missing? If the killer started in Oroville on a killing spree with Michael then maybe he continued on to Sarcamento and then down to San Bernardino, only to head back up to San Fran are to leave Michael's body somewhere on the trip back up? Just an idea. I think it is strange that right before and after the letter is sent the people missing on the list are all CA.
Michael Duane Burnett Missing since March 17, 1971 from Oroville, Butte County, California
Denise Kathleen Anderson Missing since April 13, 1971 from Sacramento, Sacramento County, California
Michael Lee Pickering Missing since April 16, 1971 from Victorville, San Bernardino County, California

Just a strange fact I look up missing persons often and figured I would look up who went missing after or before Z sent the letter in March 22, 1971. For the "Peek through the pines" letter in March, I found on the national list of missing persons that:

One missing person listed right before the letter was from California
and the 2 missing people next on the list after the letter was sent were from California.

One of the 2 missing after the letter was sent was a young man Hitchiking to San Fransisco from the desert area in CA.

Could Z have anything to do with these 3 missing? If the killer started in Oroville on a killing spree with Michael then maybe he continued on to Sarcamento and then down to San Bernardino, only to head back up to San Fran are to leave Michael's body somewhere on the trip back up? Just an idea. I think it is strange that right before and after the letter is sent the people missing on the list are all CA.
Michael Duane Burnett Missing since March 17, 1971 from Oroville, Butte County, California
Denise Kathleen Anderson Missing since April 13, 1971 from Sacramento, Sacramento County, California
Michael Lee Pickering Missing since April 16, 1971 from Victorville, San Bernardino County, California

Quite a geographical area covered there. Anything is possible, but I have always been skeptical of adding victims, including Lass and Bates. It is also quite possible he was exaggerating his numbers. We will surely never know.

Quite a geographical area covered there. Anything is possible, but I have always been skeptical of adding victims, including Lass and Bates. It is also quite possible he was exaggerating his numbers. We will surely never know.

I might be willing to look further, but I likely won't find any connection. I do agree he seemed to exaggerate his numbers. If I do find any connections I will likely keep them between myself and LE.

Did Z's DNA ever light up in cases other than the cases he claimed? His DNA had to have been inputted into CODIS. Maybe much evidence from crimes so long ago is gone or insufficient? I can't imagine he didn't have more victims than the ones we know of. Then again, if he killed himself or was killed while committing a crime back in the day this could account for no further links to any attacks. hm.

Prime suspect in Cheri Jo bates is bob Barnett

http://www.zodiackiller.com/BatesUpdate2.html

but his DNA didn't match did it? He wasn't even dating Cheri at the time either. I'm not sure if Z killed Cheri or if it was just some looney over in Riverside, but I wish her case was solved just to have that justice no matter who murdered her. That poor girl :(

Have to wonder if Z went around at times taunting the relatives of murder victims and LE even if it wasn't his crime. The letter writer didn't say they killed Bates - they just said she "had to die". Then later when LE thinks maybe he wrote the letter he decides to also try and take credit for the crime (Rather than just claim he wanted to mess with her dear sweet dad and police by sending a mean letter).

I might be willing to look further, but I likely won't find any connection. I do agree he seemed to exaggerate his numbers. If I do find any connections I will likely keep them between myself and LE.

Did Z's DNA ever light up in cases other than the cases he claimed? His DNA had to have been inputted into CODIS. Maybe much evidence from crimes so long ago is gone or insufficient? I can't imagine he didn't have more victims than the ones we know of. Then again, if he killed himself or was killed while committing a crime back in the day this could account for no further links to any attacks. hm.

If the DNA matched other cases, I am pretty sure we would have heard about it.

I am not an expert on this case, although it has fascinated me since I was a kid when the crimes were happening and I was terrified, although I lived in So. CA and the crimes, of course were in No. CA.
My geography wasn't real strong then.

However, my basic theory is not that he was killed or imprisoned, although that is certainly possible. I think he was a Dennis Rader/Gary Ridgeway type. Lived a basically normal life with a family and was probably never suspected by anyone of being the Zodiac.

Part of the reason I believe that is that his identity has not yet been revealed and it is almost certain that he is dead, and I think it is quite likely that his family found evidence of his identity after his death.

I think considering his ego and taunting of the police and press, it is almost certain he kept souvenirs, that someone would have found upon his death. Family would have motivation to cover it up.

If the DNA matched other cases, I am pretty sure we would have heard about it.

I am not an expert on this case, although it has fascinated me since I was a kid when the crimes were happening and I was terrified, although I lived in So. CA and the crimes, of course were in No. CA.
My geography wasn't real strong then.

However, my basic theory is not that he was killed or imprisoned, although that is certainly possible. I think he was a Dennis Rader/Gary Ridgeway type. Lived a basically normal life with a family and was probably never suspected by anyone of being the Zodiac.

Part of the reason I believe that is that his identity has not yet been revealed and it is almost certain that he is dead, and I think it is quite likely that his family found evidence of his identity after his death.

I think considering his ego and taunting of the police and press, it is almost certain he kept souvenirs, that someone would have found upon his death. Family would have motivation to cover it up.

These are cases of missing persons... therefore they have not been found yet and their cases are still being investigated. They also likely do not have DNA in the system for those cases as the bodies with evidence have never been discovered. That is why I am interested in persons of interest who were long forgotten in these cold cases.

I do believe he might have kept souvenirs. That is why, if he did kill himself long ago or die, I am confused that nothing was found. Maybe he trashed his mementos even at a certain point. Who knows - he could have been mentally ill and eventually medication helped him get himself together and "start a new life".

Wouldn't it be interesting if he were just a sweet old man who had unchecked split personalities in his youth? I doubt that is the case, but hey you never know.

Where in SoCal did you grow up? Would be interesting to be alive during the time of these crimes. They are before my time, but I care for the victims as if they were murdered today.

Zodiac seems to have been a many faceted killer and terrorist. It is pretty certain that he made a few specific attacks which he claimed and verified with extra information in his writings. Some of those letters included pieces of one victim's shirt.

But he also seems to have made claims of other attacks which were not verified and also others which were later proven to have been committed by someone else. At some point he stopped sending pieces of the shirt, but analysts believe that his hand writing can be identified as being the same.

Zodiac enjoyed taunting the police, the families of his victims, and the entire population of the San Francisco Bay area.

At one point, Zodiac stated that he would be committing murders which he would not claim and some which would be made to look like accidents. Some of his letters would continue to keep an increasing "count" of murders like a score card.

There are many theories about who Zodiac might have been or what motivated him. It is possible that he continued to kill, but it is certain that he wished to continue with his threats and terrorizing.

Zodiac seems to have taken one or two "breaks" between writings and many theories have been offered as to the reasons for them. He might have left California for a time, might have been imprisoned for a time, or might have had some other reason.

Wanted to hear from people on their opinions regarding the Zodiac killer case,as far as theories,suspects,etc. Put this in the cold case thread,since after 40 years,there have been no arrests.

Out of the known suspects I rate Richard Gaikowski as the best suspect.

-Dan

I always thought it is interesting that when you look at the police report from the crime scenes back then they would indicate where the victim was shot in the crimescene with a "gunsight" symbol - the same symbol the zodiac used. This has always made me wonder if the zodiac could have actually been a cop and maybe he used the symbol as a way to mock the very scenes he created. To mock those symbols on the police reports that each indicated a "shot" at the victim. OR maybe he once was in the police force and became disgraced and using the symbol was a big shot at LE. Just an idea.

attachment.php

Attachments

• HermanRoadsherriffmap1.jpg
    HermanRoadsherriffmap1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 319
I always thought it is interesting that when you look at the police report from the crime scenes back then they would indicate where the victim was shot in the crimescene with a "gunsight" symbol - the same symbol the zodiac used. This has always made me wonder if the zodiac could have actually been a cop and maybe he used the symbol as a way to mock the very scenes he created. To mock those symbols on the police reports that each indicated a "shot" at the victim. OR maybe he once was in the police force and became disgraced and using the symbol was a big shot at LE. Just an idea.

Completely agree with you there. Clearly some resentment/bitterness towards established authority and society based on the taunting/mocking behaviour they displayed. A game with the 'experts'. But then again this could be any functioning psychopath with a parking ticket that harbours extreme resentment based on what the rest of us would have passed of as 'bad chance'....

Definite resentment towards life, however; possibly somebody in a medium/low wage earning role that has been passed over for promotion/advancement or failed in education even though; in their own minds they happen to think they're a genius....

This was a way to 'prove' to the world they were smarter than the rest of us. . .

Team? Yup. Zodiac Pedophile Father and his Son. I believe both still alive. Both share the same name . different middle name. Father is a doctor. Son a ex crackhead turned methhead. I find it hard to believe they still have not been caught.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back