2010.06.21 ~ CNN says focus of investigation not on TH

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weekends presser, LE said they were investigating on different fronts. So perhaps the relative was one of those fronts. Public criminal charges against a minor already out there, so no harm, no foul by LE mentioning it?

Well, that's kind of a given that they look through the family, IMO. It would have come as a surprise to people if the spokesperson had said "no, we've never heard of him" but "yes, we've investigated him" not so much.

I'm with you WHAAAAAT???

And that brings me back to TP's statement. WTH???

:waitasec:

Call me suspicious, but I am starting to wonder if cell pings are truly reliable. We have heard that there are those who DID see her at the school at the time that one article is saying pings showed her on that island. I recall a case where they talked a lot about cell pings and there were experts on. It seems to me that mistakes can be made in this area also.

did she post the pictures of the science fair from her phone?

weren't the pictures posted at 0846?

could they have pinged her in the island area around that time?

((((I am joining this one late... and man is it confusing!)))))

eta: interesting that there are no other kids in the room in her picture.

in one pic of his project taken in the classroom (allegedly) it looks like a child in the background.

IMO LE has no clue what is going on or who is responsible. they are basing most of there searches on step mom's cell phone pings, yet havent found him.

so what if there wrong? then they have spen 18 days chasing there own tails. and kyron might never be found if they are wrong.

Just as in the Cantu case, I believe LE is covering all possible bases. They are tight lipped but appear to be taking this case very seriously and following all angles.

Well, that's kind of a given that they look through the family, IMO. It would have come as a surprise to people if the spokesperson had said "no, we've never heard of him" but "yes, we've investigated him" not so much.

The question about the uncle was the only question answered in the interview, but everything else she would not/could not comment on. This had puzzled some sleuthers.

Call me suspicious, but I am starting to wonder if cell pings are truly reliable. We have heard that there are those who DID see her at the school at the time that one article is saying pings showed her on that island. I recall a case where they talked a lot about cell pings and there were experts on. It seems to me that mistakes can be made in this area also.

It looks like it was just a reading comprehension problem. That article misquoted their sources.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5320286#post5320286"]Were TH and/or Kyron really at Skyline on Friday, June 4? - Page 8 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

The question about the uncle was the only question answered in the interview, but everything else she would not/could not comment on. This had puzzled some sleuthers.
I personally think the only reason LE answered yes to that question is because the person has been arrested/it is public record... whereas their other investigation (direction etc) is not public record and they do not seem to require the public's help at this time/don't need to release additional details to elicit the info from the public.

I agree w/ you. What T said really has me wondering. Why would he make that up? If it is true then why in the world would the teacher mark him absent and carry on if she thought he was in the bathroom or getting a drink of water? Why not check? That right there makes me angry. IF T is right and Kyron was at school for at least an hour then everyone sat and stared at his empty desk all day long and no one questioned where he was??

This thread has mentioned T's (Kyron's friend) recollection of that day. I hope this is the appropriate place to post my question, and am not sure if it has been discussed in other threads. Wouldn't Kyron have to have been with the group and seen by the volunteer for her to have told the teacher that he was no longer with them? If the answer is yes, wouldn't that confirm that he indeed was seen after the SM left? Also, when a child is at school and leaves there is a policy that they have to be signed out, so if they had no record of his SM signing him out, that should have raised concerns also.

Weird thing about that interview...the LE was happy to say that the uncle had been investigated but everything else was no comment.

Nothing weird about it! They were fine talking about this because:

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH KYRON's CASE.

They have made it clear that the goal is to make no mistakes in this investigation. That includes remaining :silenced: about a potential suspect. However, actions are clearly occurring - we see big interest in Terri.

It's a legal thing you guys, we need LE to do this case right if we are to see a perpetrator put behind bars someday.

Sorry, it took me a few minutes to find a link. I bolded it in red for you. This could also be a reason the family did not go public??

http://www.oregonherald.com/oregon/a/20100615a.htm

Speaking to the press, Kyron Horman parents, with tears streaming down their faces, thanked searchers, investigators and the media for keeping the quest alive to find the Skyline School second-grader with the wide smile. They wore T-shirts with Kyron's photo and the word "MISSING" in bright orange.

"Kyron, we love you, we miss you, and we need you home right now," said Tony Young, Kyron's stepfather and a Medford police detective.

"Your school friends and your family, teachers, the staff at your school and the community as a whole has shown how much impact one little boy's smile can have on a community. You mean everything to us, and until you come home, this family is not complete."

thank you - yes, that throws an interesting wrench into it for me
don't know how I missed it after all this time :waitasec:

We have reports Kyron was confirmed to be seen at the school that morning without TH. A few days ago LE released a statement saying TH was the last person to see Kyron. Does this not imply that they know TH had Kyron after the hour he was seen at school without her?

I would not be surprised to learn they have one or more witnesses of TH leaving the grounds with Kyron. Not much has been released about Kaine's whereabouts or involvement.

LE has stated this is an isolated case and no other kids are in danger (therefore you can rule out stranger abduction). They have stated this is now a criminal investigation (therefore you can rule out Kyron wandering off on his own). They have stated TH was the last person to see Kyron. They have released a questionaire about TH. They gave her a second polygraph. LE is living in the house.

Blind Freddy can see what happened and where the focus is on.

Yesterday I came home to find LE all over the neighborhood and that they had come to me house and asked if someone had run in there. Concerned, I asked some police down the street if there was any need for concern. They said no, it was just a minor traffic accident. The next day I learned that LE had gone to the neighbor whose front door faces my back door. The knocked and asked her if anyone ran in there. She did not open the door fully but peered out and said no. They then asked her to let them in so they could check to make sure no one was holding her in the house at gun point. They were going through the neighborhood with night-vision goggles. Sounds like more than a minor traffic collision. But, if they mislead residents about potential danger and something happens, they could get a lot of flack. It does happen - like going after the wrong person and refusing to admit they were wrong even when a killer is still loose, etc. Trying to keep down possible panic. Not saying this is the case here. I trust LE so far.

I have a hard time accepting that the SM has anything to do with the disappearance. My reasonings are these;

1) If she intended to do him harm it would have been a lot easier for KH to "disappear" while out playing, or walking to the bus stop or home from the bus stop. I don't think she would try to pull off a scheme where the two of them were together in a very populated public place. Too many unknowns, no guarantee there would be oportunity to "remove" the child without being seen. Too risky.

2) Haven't heard anything about any sort of dissagreement, tantrum, or other episode that would make her suddenly want to do him harm and just get lucky that there was no-one to witness the two of them leaving together.

I could be way off but I think if they are focussing on her it is to eliminate her as a suspect.

That link doesnt work for me...but in any case because they said websleuthers IMO doesnt mean they mean Websleuths.com. It could be anyone sleuthing the case on the Web.

But that does not mean LE's admonition is not seriously relevant to our site. I have observed some crazy rumours cited as fact here and several hurtful statements against TH that I think are unwarranted. For what it's worth, I am not saying she's not involved or is involved. Not enough facts straight from LE yet for me.

thinkofwicker - welcome to websleuths!

fyi - we can't copy & paste from blogs

we can only paraphrase & include a link, as long as it is a blog we are allowed to link to

you might want to edit or delete that post

Here's the thing, SM may or may not be lying. What if she sets her watch fast? My husband does that all the time and confuses me.:waitasec:

Any LE investigator is not going to just swallow anybody's statement when something as important as a missing child is at stake. Whether she set her watch fast or not, believe me, LE has investigated every movement she made that day. They will have looked at the camera, they will have looked at the time-stamp on the upload of the photo. They know exactly when the photo was snapped, and exactly when it was uploaded. That would just be part of an even basic investigation.

iirc, the sf pictures were posted at 1 something, and there are other children in other shots of his project, 1 with a little girl in the background and another of a friend with the friend's sf project. Since sm reportedly arrived at the school around 8:15, she could have been on Sauvie Island by 8:45. However, she supposedly told LE she was watching Kyron walking towards his classroom at 8:45. Her cellphone pings seem to contradict her.

I hate to harp on this, but we do not know if her cellphone pings contradict her being at the school. We know some unidentified persons who were not involved in this investigation say there is a problem with her cellphone pings.

SofIa I have a question that maybe you can answer. There was a press conference the other day and some people on one of the threads ive read said that at the end someone ( Maybe LE not sure) said that TH phone pings werent where she was meant to be) when they thought the microphones werent on or something. Do you know if this true or a rumour please?

Rumor, IMO. I have read several people saying that a reporter asked a question after the PC was over, but before cameras were turned off. I have read one person say they believed LE was informing media that there was a problem with the cellphone pings. I believe this poster may have mis-heard, because it is simply impossible for me to believe that WW would rely on unidentified LE officials who are NOT involved in the investigation if the sheriff or anyone who IS involved in the investigation had out & out informed them of any problem with the pings.

If she left earlier for some unsavory business, wouldn't one think that she would admit to LE what that business was?

What could be worse than people thinking she did something to the missing child?

Every trip to the grocery store, the bank, the gym, whatever , a percentage of the people will think that she's a killer.

Her little daughter will not be welcome at most people's homes.

Even those that want to believe her innocent will not trust her around their children, I would imagine.

Why won't she tell if there is another explanation for the cell phone pings?

I agree that it would make sense to be truthful to LE even if what you had to say was unsavory. It would be ridiculous for a person to not know and fully expect LE to check out one's story in a case like this. (I know people DO lie to LE, but how dumb that is!!)

Terri may not have made any public comments about her cellphone pings, but why would she?

IMO, this is about LE keeping TH from lawyering up.

SM is an idiot if she has not retained a lawyer. We, as citizens of USA, are guaranteed the right to retain counsel to represent our interests.

This is not directed to you, SuziQ, but I really hate the term "lawyering up" because it implies that only guilty persons retain legal representation. And that is just not true.

I read here last night that she did not have her cell phone with her when she went to the bus to pick him up. I thought that was a strange thing to do.

But it would account for why she was not the one calling the school and 911.
She may or may not have had it with her, I don't know.. just read it here last night.

Can you point me to where you read that? I haven't seen that before, and I'm curious to see if there is a link to back up that she did not have her cell phone with her.

I don't think it would be strange at all to walk to the end of one's driveway without a cellphone.....heck, I NEVER take my cellphone with me to walk to the end of my driveway, or when I go out of the front door to check the mail! So I wouldn't find it odd at all that SM didn't have her phone on her, I'm just wondering if it is a verified fact that I can add to my list.

BTW, my understanding is that the bus is equipped with a communications system on-board, so the driver was able to quickly contact the school to find out if Kyron had missed the bus, etc.

This thread has mentioned T's (Kyron's friend) recollection of that day. I hope this is the appropriate place to post my question, and am not sure if it has been discussed in other threads. Wouldn't Kyron have to have been with the group and seen by the volunteer for her to have told the teacher that he was no longer with them? If the answer is yes, wouldn't that confirm that he indeed was seen after the SM left? Also, when a child is at school and leaves there is a policy that they have to be signed out, so if they had no record of his SM signing him out, that should have raised concerns also.

This also bothers me quite a bit. If the teacher thought that Kyron went to the bathroom or to get a drink of water why not send the sub / volunteer to check on him and verify where he was seeing that she was leaving the room anyway???

Back at the beginning it was speculated that Kyron may have been waiting at the door for someone to pick him up for an appt. I have NEVER known a school where you did not have to sign the students out. I have NEVER heard of a student waiting for a parent and just going out to get in the car. Regardless of whether or not the visitors had to sign in, the students would have been required to be signed out by a parent or authorized caregiver before they could leave.

It really bugs me that LE will not tell us what they have learned from the school, especially after T's statement. Not only are they making SM look bad, they are making the teacher, the sub / volunteer, secretary, and the school in general look bad as well as negligent. How can anyone in that area feel that their kids are safe w/ a 7 year old boy missing and no details?

I tend to believe that there is a grain of truth in what T has said. It really scares me to think that, if this did happen, that the teacher and the sub / volunteer would just go on as usual w/out trying to locate Kyron or at the very least check w/ the office if he was signed out.

I am so frustrated by so much guarded silence. If it helps to find Kyron I could understand; but, it has been almost 3 weeks now. It terrifies me to think that LE may have no idea or are not any closer to the answers from day one. I really really hope they know what they are doing. Otherwise, they have alienated the public and people will quickly lose interest when all they get is "no comment". That would be a huge injustice for little Kyron! :banghead:

I have a hard time accepting that the SM has anything to do with the disappearance. My reasonings are these;

1) If she intended to do him harm it would have been a lot easier for KH to "disappear" while out playing, or walking to the bus stop or home from the bus stop. I don't think she would try to pull off a scheme where the two of them were together in a very populated public place. Too many unknowns, no guarantee there would be oportunity to "remove" the child without being seen. Too risky.

2) Haven't heard anything about any sort of dissagreement, tantrum, or other episode that would make her suddenly want to do him harm and just get lucky that there was no-one to witness the two of them leaving together.

I could be way off but I think if they are focussing on her it is to eliminate her as a suspect.

Respectfully, I disagree. The REASON one would use the school is to take the focus off of them. It would inject many players into the mix, on purpose. If the disappearance is in your yard or a few blocks up at the bus stop, etc then it NARROWS the pool of potential suspects.

To your second point, I doubt there was a scene made. It would have defeated the purpose of disappearing virtually unnoticed.

Respectfully, I disagree. The REASON one would use the school is to take the focus off of them. It would inject many players into the mix, on purpose. If the disappearance is in your yard or a few blocks up at the bus stop, etc then it NARROWS the pool of potential suspects.

To your second point, I doubt there was a scene made. It would have defeated the purpose of disappearing virtually unnoticed.
that makes complete sense to me. Dropping off at school, taking some pictures... throws a bunch of stuff into the mix as well to further deflect suspicion.

IMO, this is about LE keeping TH from lawyering up.

I hope they have a lawyer.

For the record I do not know if they are using legal counsel however I do know that they have access to it.

Nachtigal, Eisenstein & Associates provides legal counsel and representation for clients in Hillsboro, Oregon, and nearby communities throughout the Portland, Oregon, metro region, including Beaverton, Tigard, Forest Grove, Oregon City, Aloha, St. Helens, Scappoose, Gresham, McMinnville, Tualatin and Wilsonville, Oregon

Some of the employers that have an employee legal plan are:

Intel
Nike
Genentech
RadiSys
Washington County
Hillsboro School District
PGE

http://www.neaesq.com/PracticeAreas/Pre-Paid-Legal-Plans-Employee-Benefit.asp

http://www.neaesq.com/CM/Custom/TOCCriminal-Law.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.