2011.05.17 Sidebar Thread (Jury Selection Day Eight)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No ynot, court is starting at 8.30 as per Judge Perry, just listened to it again.

Rapunzel,
this is just my opinion.. but they WILL seat this jury here in P-county. Defense strikes are almost up and they have 17-ish left to question.

at the end of court today hhjp said that first thing in the morning the first issue of the day are any backstrikes then they will question 4-5 more.

THEN...at ONE PM... he has the 11 coming back in...

How does this play to everyone after that long sidebar where he gave them leeway and when we heard the defense and state saying they could/are working together?

my vote is that the 12 will be seated tomorrow.. maybe they will hear a few more possible alternates in the afternoon... and than more on thursday... friday will likely be off due to relocation of the jury (or maybe they will still hear alternates on friday and move on saturday). My best guess is opening statements will be on Monday.

this is all moo

I'm with you!

Someone mentioned that they saw the DT's Private Investigator walk into the courtroom today. I hope he isn't prowling around Clearwater digging into these jurors private affairs. That seems so unfair when people are willing to literally give up 2 months of their lives.
On another note, this jury selection has worn me out, I may take a break if I can persuade myself into it.

See youtube above, he was getting all cosy with Elizabeth Fryer.

Rapunzel,
this is just my opinion.. but they WILL seat this jury here in P-county. Defense strikes are almost up and they have 17-ish left to question.

at the end of court today hhjp said that first thing in the morning the first issue of the day are any backstrikes then they will question 4-5 more.

THEN...at ONE PM... he has the 11 coming back in...

How does this play to everyone after that long sidebar where he gave them leeway and when we heard the defense and state saying they could/are working together?

my vote is that the 12 will be seated tomorrow.. maybe they will hear a few more possible alternates in the afternoon... and than more on thursday... friday will likely be off due to relocation of the jury (or maybe they will still hear alternates on friday and move on saturday). My best guess is opening statements will be on Monday.

this is all moo

I hope you are right and pray that you are. Now, if you or anyone else knows, what happens if the DT asks for more strikes??? Will JP give them more???

I hope you are right and pray that you are. Now, if you or anyone else knows, what happens if the DT asks for more strikes??? Will JP give them more???
they will NOT get more strikes.

eta: and they don't have to USE them all either.. the ones that they have... same goes for the state

Did anyone else hear CM talk about the accident theory today when questioning a PJ. I'm feeling more and more that's what they are gonna run with.

I believe NG is just plain lying in part of her intro...she says that the juror who can't be dismissed said that she cannot and will not pass judgement on another person...and ends with we are 24 hours away from opening statements...really?

Didn't this juror said she does not like to judge others?

If she can't judge others then how is she going to be able to judge Casey?
How did she even make the cut? This could cause a hung jury! Why wouldn't JP let the SA strike her? :(

I don't know what took place with that last woman interviewed today, but, from what I remember, Casey was writing little notes like she was on a mission, and shoving them over to Ann F, and I think she even tugged on her sleeve to get her attention.

There was something about this woman that Casey did not like, that's for sure.

I sure hope tomorrow brings an end to this chapter so that the jury can get moved and tucked in at Orlando, and be up for things bright and early Monday morning.
And, may the Lord, or whoever they believe in or pray to, be with them all and hold and support them.

Did anyone else hear CM talk about the accident theory today when questioning a PJ. I'm feeling more and more that's what they are gonna run with.

It seems about the only thing they have to run with. If they went with the abuse theory they would have to admit she did it, but there was a reason.

Mary, I noticed that, and also that the DT asked a couple of jurors what they would think about one side presenting lots of witnesses vs. the other side presenting few.

IMO, they are leaving options open. If they have to, they will put on an "accident" defense; if after the prosecution presents they feel that they do not need to put on a strong defense witness-wise, they will pull a Geragos/Peterson and rest without presenting any wits.

And I notice that you are one of our new posters--so :welcome:

Based on the notes in unexcused thread - here is what tomorrow morning will look like HHJP said 5 in the AM the first number he said was 3283? I have not found that one yet. Maybe he transposed the numbers? Here is the rest from 2-5:

#38 #3310 - Male - no hrdshp; no financial, family or medical concerns; only medical is blood pressure meds; no upcoming plans; will be pd by work
IN - ASKED BACK Running total - 55

#39 #3025 - Female - will be pd for 30 days by work & offer up whatever vacation time she needs; very much wants "to do the right thing"; has 3 dogs - needs to board
HELD - Asked to call boarder and see about discount in boarding and report back

#40 - #3016 - Male - no hrdshp; no financial, family, medical hrdshp; is a teacher, has 3 weeks left; under public school contract will be pd and retain job security; 2 dogs w/ neighbor to watch
IN - ASKED BACK Running Total - 56

#41 #3317 - Female - no hrdshp, financial hrdshp, will not be pd by work; would rely on one parent - other parent unemp - lives with parents; HHJP instructs to inquire with temp agency she works for about having a position for her when done; St. Pete College - not in session for next 2 months; had fun stuff for summer planned - cruise, nothing prepaid; very young and articulate girl!
IN - ASKED BACK Running Total - 57

My sense is that the defense is doing all they can to delay in the hopes that the farther away from the murder we get, the less blood thirsty the public will be.

Right now, we don't even have twelve and of the four coming tomorrow, two look like they have issues with being out on a jury for two months. One will not be paid by her work and will not have a job waiting for her when she returns, and the other will have to use her own vacation pay for this. Thus, we may have only two left to choose from and if either side strikes anybody else, we will likely have to call in more for another day of voir dire.

And then we have to go through the alternates. Not a great source for info, but on JVM, the correspondent there stated they will be given additional strikes for the alternates. So I am worried about delays.

ITA...something changed her mind from her first initial interview and the time she was called back. Was it the magnitude of the case? Was she seeing $$$$ signs??? Just something hinky about her.

I don't think this woman seeing dollar signs, IMO. Instead, I think she was struck by the importance of the case, the magnitude of it and the chance to be part of something so big. I also think she was trying to please the judge and the attorneys.

I'm not sure if they're right or not, but I do not see the need to pointlessly complicate the proceedings. She gets a jury...no jury will be perfect for either side. Just pick 12 people and let's go! What is it about the legal system and making everything a bloated, time-consuming mess?

Would be nice but when you have a long trial like this with two months sequestration, anything can happen. What if someone on the jury gets ill? Or a family member has an emergency? Not to mention if one of the jurors proves to be a crackpot or is ignoring the judge's instructions. What do you want to do then? Stop the trial, go back to the voir dire process and then re-do the trial once a new juror has been seated? We have to have alternates. Life is too unpredictable.

Kimster would respond, but she is too busy starting exactly such a thread right this very minute to post about it! I think it will end up being a Sticky thread.

Great idea Britt! So glad you dove in and joined us! We :heartluv: our posters!

We do have a general question thread already and a legal question thread and we also have threads for all the evidence, videos, jail calls, media links, etc.

If this potential juror now admits she can not sit in judgement what do you think will happen when it comes time for the panel to deliberate and come to a decision. Will she stand up and say she can't take part in the discussion or the jury process? If that's the case, they will bring in an alternate juror. That's why they have alternates. She won't hang the jury if she refuses to sit in judgement. She will be reported to the judge, she will be replaced. We saw it happen with the Scott Peterson case. Problem jurors can be and most often are kicked off a jury. It can make for a longer deliberation but it won't cause a hung jury.
jmo

My biggest concern is that she will not understand what is happening and defer to her sensibilities about who seems nice and judge based on that instead of the facts. Scares me.

just an observation of the interactions today. It seems that DCS was internet watching today and keeping miss anthony informed via notes back and forth.

imo during onr of these exchanges i think that maybe ica found out about her parents lawsuit concerning caylee and it really made her mad. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if the ceo makes her employees release a statement about her feelings regarding the suit. Kind of like her statement about the memorial. all imo.

I can tell you that is very unlikely that a legal professional would risk upsetting the client with information unrelated to the matter at hand, especially when there are potential jurors and cameras present. This is info you give them after a hearing.

At the close of the jury selection for today, HHMP stated that we would begin tomorrow morning at 6:30am with potential jurors number 3131; 3283, 3310, and 3025. I checked out the potential jury thread and found the preliminary background of these four potential jurors:

#18 - #3131 - Female - has London vacation and house scheduled for July 14th (HHJP stated "we'll be done by then”); works for school board, equipment dept manager; will be paid for only 15 days - needs supervisor approval for additional time. Asked to check with school board about job and pay.

#25 - #3283 - Male - expressed financial hardship; works in medical industry; will not be paid but not sure how long. Instructed to call employer and ask about pay for extended period. Instructed to call about compensation, and reported back after lunch that he will be paid by work.

#59.- #3310 - Male - no hardship; no financial, family or medical concerns; only medical is blood pressure meds; no upcoming plans; will be paid by work

#39 - #3025 [FONT=&quot]- Female - will be paid for 30 days by work and offered to use whatever vacation time she needs; very much wants "to do the right thing". She has 3 dogs that need to be boarded. HHMP asked her to call the boarder and see if there's a discount in boarding and report back. [/FONT]

This list is slightly different than the one up top. Two jurors are the same, one which seems to have a hardship, wanting to use vacation time to do this thing, the other is okay and of the two that are different from the first list, neither 3131 nor 3283 seem like good bets based on the lack of pay for jury service. So, I remain concerned about delays.

I'm ready for this thing to begin. It is very stressful for all of us who have waited for almost three years for justice. Also, I have to plan my work schedule and don't want to miss opening statements live!!!! Darn!

I don't know what took place with that last woman interviewed today, but, from what I remember, Casey was writing little notes like she was on a mission, and shoving them over to Ann F, and I think she even tugged on her sleeve to get her attention.

I sure hope tomorrow brings an end to this chapter so that the jury can get moved and tucked in at Orlando, and be up for things bright and early Monday morning.
And, may the Lord, or whoever they believe in or pray to, be with them all and hold and support them.

I didn't see all of that, but I DID see the expressions on KCs face and I agree with you that she did NOT like this woman at all...

And the DT axed her...

How did she even make the cut? This could cause a hung jury! Why wouldn't JP let the SA strike her? :(

I guess because they didn't question her enough and the state didn't raise the question of hung jury before in the challenge. They could not strike and the DT isn't going to strike her...kind of funny but it seems she is the only one that is safe...LOL

My sense is that the defense is doing all they can to delay in the hopes that the farther away from the murder we get, the less blood thirsty the public will be.

Would be nice but when you have a long trial like this with two months sequestration, anything can happen. What if someone on the jury gets ill? Or a family member has an emergency? Not to mention if one of the jurors proves to be a crackpot or is ignoring the judge's instructions. What do you want to do then? Stop the trial, go back to the voir dire process and then re-do the trial once a new juror has been seated? We have to have alternates. Life is too unpredictable.

(POST CLIPPED FOR BREVITY)

That certainly brings the OJ trial to mind for me...can't recall the exact number of jurors that were excused during the trial but seem to recall it was more than one or two? (One for having laptop in hotel room...writing book)

I don't think she said she wouldn't...she said she did not like to do so. I think she told the judge she would and could, when he persisted with questioning.

And, may the Lord, or whoever they believe in or pray to, be with them all and hold and support them

BBM. That was one of the sweetest posts I have seen in a while!

(POST CLIPPED FOR BREVITY)

That certainly brings the OJ trial to mind for me...can't recall the exact number of jurors that were excused during the trial but seem to recall it was more than one or two? (One for having laptop in hotel room...writing book)

On JVM they were talking about that and said that 8 jurors were replaced! That's crazy!

I don't think she said she wouldn't...she said she did not like to do so. I think she told the judge she would and could, when he persisted with questioning.

Exactly. The judge "rehabilitated" her.

I'm trying to figure out why I thought the alternates could not be struck and now JP is saying they can be struck.
Does he mean that if either side does not use up all of their strikes then they are allowed to use them on the alternates?

I have missed much since I have been at work. Could someone please tell me who Elizabeth Fryer is ? Thanks in advance

Did they determine that jurors would smell the decomposition odor from the car? NG just said that they would be required to do this, and I wasn't sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member