2011.05.18 Jury Selection Day Nine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ms. Fryer - The pace is depriving our client of her due process rights. It is a perceived rush.

They have one peremptory left. That is their problem. They chose to use their prempts early.

This is actually quite a nice way to start the day...I like it! :great:
How's this working for you so far, Mr. Baez......

day 9 with the first juror on the stand for 4 hours! Yeah race, DT lady

This is going on records, and this will be the basis for their appeal. As much as I love HHJP, he has to know that the way he went about this left the door wide open for an appeal.

Sounds to me like he is following precedent and knows what he is doing.

Sound came on just as I heard the comment about abusing their powers....Is she accusing HHJP of this?

She's sailing perilously close to it - she basically stated that he was by insinuation.

HHBP: Name me one incident that I cut any side off, or limited questioning.
Fryer: she said the way he has been doing it isn't under the law.

One thing I am SURE of is that Ms. Fryer may be a good attorney but she does not know more about the caselaw that HHJP. That man is a walking Westlaw reference source. I swear, I have NEVER seen a judge so well-versed on the law.

They're arguing that normally they would get to a higher number of PJ's and then be able to exercise backstrikes. However, HHJP was only letting them get to 12, so, if they wanted to hear from more PJ's, they would be forced to use a backstrike. In other words, as the SA & JB mentioned yesterday, the judge was making them burn backstrikes in order to seat the jury quicker.

I'm still confused as to why HHJP doesn't want to take his time with this, in order to avoid this type of challenge later on.

Thank you, this was very helpful! I think I get it now

Can someone give me the magic alt ____________ key to keep both windows open.

Judge seems pissed now....what a way to set the Judge's day off. Wow, did JB just do this on purpose?

They are just being cry-babies becuase if JB uses his last strike and the very next one up is a young, pretty, educated mom with a 3 yr old that still live with her parents they won't be able to strike her from the jury.

Oh well, too bad so sad........................

Name me one instance where I have cut off any questions from the SA or the Defense at any time? No your Honor, you haven't - and here is HHJP reeling off the appropriate law....

There must be a reason the DT is using Ms. Frye here, none of the other team members want to touch this with a ten foot pole.

This is going on records, and this will be the basis for their appeal. As much as I love HHJP, he has to know that the way he went about this left the door wide open for an appeal.

I must respectfully disagree. he is trying to sequester ASAP in order to protect ICA's right to a fair trial. the longer this goes on, the more poisoned the 12 (or however many) will become.

HHJP knows exactly what they are doing. He's making the record very clear on exactly how the process has been set up. DT complaint that the jury selection is going too fast for them to get a clear picture of the overall panel is whoey. He's gonna set this right. Just wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meowmeowface143