2011.06.07 TRIAL Day Twelve (Morning Session)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JB is really going to use that mistake against the State's case in closing arguments. Its really a shame that happened since it is so inconsquential but ol JB will make alot of hay over it.

Too bad - I was hoping...but at least JA fessed up - not sure what the big deal is except not giving the DT any thing at all that can go to appellate issues once this trial is over. Darn, I wanted the big human sniffer test!

I think it was really unfortunate that JA handed him the wrong can and AV didn't realize it. I think JB would never have known the difference. I'm glad JA was honest and confessed his mistake and AV was honest and confessed his mistake. It makes his testimony stronger in some ways if weaker in others.

:maddening:

Casey laughing it up with Ms. Fryer!

I don't believe JA was being sneaky or a conspiracy...however, I'm worried this will be grounds for appeal. They can't afford the least little question as to the handling of evidence at trial. I personally would hate that kind of pressure.

You remember Karn, she is the "Doc In A Box" person - so she is keying up questions for Baez to ask while he is up - rather than him formulating his own Defense questions...:innocent:
Thanks logicalgirl. Not that I want to hear from her. The one witness she cross examined the first week was enough but seriously if you hire an architect, why would you allow the landscaper to draw up the designs??? Proof of ICA's mental defect I guess.

He is sure going to take advantage of it though...

I hope JB never needs the body farm for another case...EVER

I got a good giggle yesterday when Dr. Vass likened his deposition with Baez to an "inquisition". Made me think of torture racks.

Sheaffer's assessment of sidebar - realization that Dr. Vass could open the can. It's never good that an expert has to get up and say there was a mistake. He feels that this is better for the Defense, but the Jury would have to decide if this compromises the witness's testimony. BS doesn't think it does. The saving grace is that there is so much other testimony from other witnesses that is consistent with the doctor's testimony of the smell.

He doesn't think that he and KB are more State oriented. They are umpires calling balls and strikes and he can't help it if he calls more balls.

What would be the purpose of JA intentionally submitting the wrong can? Cans someone help me out here?

Can't think it was done intentionally, but... it might have caused the can to be opened, if Dr. Vass was asked to smell the can's contents for verification of the right can! (I think - I am not an attorney)

It's not a conspiracy. But it was sneeky. There was nothing unfair about letting Baez question Vaas about the wrong can.

I trust that HHJP knows the law and what is or isn't allowed.

Had to step away for a few minutes and apparently I missed something big?

Who submitted the wrong evidence? Did Vass do something wrong?

Thanks!

JB is really going to use that mistake against the State's case in closing arguments. Its really a shame that happened since it is so inconsquential but ol JB will make alot of hay over it.

Not if he is wise. As you say it is inconsequential. To make much of it, I think he needs a series of similar mistakes so that he can argue that the LE investigation was sloppy.

A small punch by the Defense there. I don't think it will erase all of yesterday's testimony by a long shot but would be better if the mix up hadn't occurred.

:tyou: kathyn :cool2:

(responding to the defense's actions)

Respectfully Quoted

Let him. The jury was there to see it happen and why if the State and Dr. Vass are in cahoots against Casey, would they admit the mistake?

:twocents:

This mistake worries me. May give JB room to show carelessness at lab.

It could. But for me, and for perhaps alot of these jurors, Vass' testimony about the odor from the vehicle is just confirmation of what others have already testified to. In other words, he's not the only one who smelled it. The fact that he tested, and found, chemicals associated with human decomp was just icing on the cake.

So, I don't think the DT had a big win here. JMO

Someone, anyone? Whats the chances of the can still having the smell in it....it worries me that it gets opened and the stench has subsided. To me, that would not be good for the state seeing how this makes light of an oversight and that would make it worse IMO! What do you all think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove