2011.06.14 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Eighteen)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears to me CMason deliberately set His Honor up to be upset with the DT....not good for His Honor to not believe anything the DT has to say...poetic of course for ICA but where does it leave the Judge? With such a hostile taste in his mouth..isn't good for he's the one who does the sentencing...Foolish, foolish move on CMason's part...I now believe he should have retired well before he took on this case, just for fun...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

I thought the jury was to determine sentencing, should she be convicted. In this case, isn't the judge merely to protect the judicial process from abuse and confusion? (JB seems hellbent on doing one or the other with every State witness.)

I do not believe the state will rest today.

I believe it will be on Thurs. the 16th of June, the day Caylee died, and I believe they will go out with a bang- Caylee will sing to these jurors, "you are my sunshine"

Caylee will be the last witness in the state's case!

I sincerely hope so. It is so fitting. June 16 SHOULD be Caylee singing for the jury, NOT the defense opening.

Hi Dr. Fessel. That is EXACTLY what I heard and how I interpreted HHJP's statement re ruling on mistrial motions. However, there were many here who disagreed. Did we ever get a lawyer type to answer that question?

Found this. Sounds like what we heard was right. He can look at the verdict and decide if it is fair or grant a mistrial.

TRIAL COURT DISCRETION

 We have previously held that trial courts have broad discretion when ruling on motions for new trial and motions for mistrial.   In Brown v. Estate of Stuckey, 749 So.2d 490 (Fla.1999), we stated:

To summarize, this Court has repeatedly held that the trial judge has broad discretion in ruling on a motion for a new trial on the grounds that the verdict is contrary to the manifest weight of the evidence.   A trial judge has the responsibility to draw “on his [or her] talents, his [or her] knowledge, and his [or her] experience to keep the search for the truth in a proper channel,” and the trial judge should always grant a motion for a new trial when “the jury has been deceived as to the force and credibility of the evidence or has been influenced by considerations outside the record.”   Cloud, 110 So.2d at 673.   The trial judge's discretion permits the grant of a new trial although it is not “clear, obvious, and indisputable that the jury was wrong.”   When a trial judge grants the motion for a new trial, he or she must articulate the reasons for the new trial in the order.

When reviewing the order granting a new trial, an appellate court must recognize the broad discretionary authority of the trial judge and apply the reasonableness test to determine whether the trial judge committed an abuse of discretion.   If an appellate court determines that reasonable persons could differ as to the propriety of the action taken by the trial court, there can be no finding of an abuse of discretion.   The fact that there may be substantial, competent evidence in the record to support the jury verdict does not necessarily demonstrate that the trial judge abused his or her discretion.

Id. at 497-98.   In Ed Ricke & Sons, Inc., we indicated that trial courts possess the same broad discretion in determining whether to reserve ruling on a motion for mistrial.   We recognized that a trial court's evaluation of “judicial economy” is an important factor to be considered by the trial court in exercising its broad discretion when ruling on a motion for mistrial.   Thus, when a motion for mistrial is made, it is within a trial court's discretion to determine whether it is the best use of judicial resources to let the case go to jury to see if the verdict cures the need for a new trial, or whether it is best to rule on the motion at an earlier stage in the proceedings.   But that call remains essentially for the trial court to make from its superior vantage point.   See Castlewood Int'l. Corp. v. LaFleur, 322 So.2d 520, 522 (Fla.1975) (“Mere disagreement from an appellate perspective is insufficient as a matter of law to overturn a trial court on the need for a new trial.   The trial judge ‘was in a much better position than an appellate court to pass on the ultimate correctness of the jury's verdict.’ ”).

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/fl-supreme-court/1193568.html

Wonder why we haven't heard about cell phone pings?

Attachments

• sidebar transcript June 13, 2011  1aa.jpg
    sidebar transcript June 13, 2011 1aa.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 50
  • sidebar transcript June 13, 2011  2aa.jpg
    sidebar transcript June 13, 2011 2aa.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 50
  • sidebar transcript June 13, 2011  3aa.jpg
    sidebar transcript June 13, 2011 3aa.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 50
  • sidebar transcript June 13, 2011  4aa.jpg
    sidebar transcript June 13, 2011 4aa.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 49
  • sidebar transcript June 13, 2011  5aa.jpg
    sidebar transcript June 13, 2011 5aa.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 49

I believe it will be on Thurs. the 16th of June, the day Caylee died, and I believe they will go out with a bang- Caylee will sing to these jurors, "you are my sunshine"

Does she have the book in that video?

I'm also thinking that the DT will say that they're not ready to present their case on Thursday. They were probably originally banking on the SA wrapping up on Friday with the possibility that court would be in recess until Monday, June 20. Whatever the case, I don't expect them to be prepared on Thursday. jmo

I think it would have a bigger impact to end tomorrow. Caylee was captured on video for the last time on June 15th, 2008. Play the video tomorrow and then allow the defense to begin their case on June 16th. That is when Casey ended Caylee's life... that should be the day when she is forced to explain... even though it is all lies... and I do not think the jury will appreciate that.

I also believe that Casey murdered Caylee intentionally, but in order to get a murder conviction, the State doesn't really have to prove that it was intentional. Using chloroform on a baby is aggravated child abuse and if I remember correctly, if that child dies from the abuse, it is murder. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that applying chloroform to a two-year-old child's face could cause death. She knew Caylee could have died... and did it anyways. It's murder.

The same thing with the duct tape. Placing three long pieces of duct tape over a two-year-old child's face is aggravated child abuse. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that applying duct tape to a child's face could cause death. She knew it could cause death and did it anyways. It's murder.

I actually believe that the defense's theory on what happened is what is going to prove that Casey murdered Caylee intentionally. The State doesn't have to do anything to prove it because Casey is still lying about the events of what happened. I think the jury is going to come to the conclusion that Casey is even more evil than I gave her credit for. And that she is hellbent on lying until the bitter end... no matter who she continues to hurt.
But did the jury understand the chloroform evidence?

I do because when I heard of I researched it, but the jury doesn't have that luxury, and already we have people here who think it's new technology and would toss that evidence. Someone here even stated she'd toss it because Dr Vass didn't collect the samples in a "clean room". On one hand it bothers me because clearly Dr Vass is a scientist and would have used a clean room if one was needed, so I don't think us lay people know better how to do it than the leader in the field; OTOH, I certainly respect her right to an opinion and her willingness to express her doubts and, IMO, it's a little window into what some on the jury may be thinking.

No it doesn't take a rocket science to draw those conclusions regarding the duct tape and chloroform; just us who already believe it happened that way.

The jury may not.

And please let me be wrong!

so the state only has this one last witness that we're waiting on? I think since we know so much we feel like they're not including everything, hopefully the jury has enough. I was hoping for something juicy that we haven't see/heard yet but we didn't get that.

what is the following schedule like? Does the SA do their closing after this or at the very end?

Of all the witnesses for the State, Does anyone know what the purpose was, of putting Mallory on the stand??

K, I think it would be great if they would put on the photo bucket person to show the pictures had been dumped and the the tatoo guy about the tatoo.

What were the dates on those ???

Unfortunately they can't prove who dumped the pictures and that tattoo guy is a Casey is a great mom, fun person etc. kind of guy.

Besides, the tattoo could be misconstrued as a tribute to Caylee...who wants that.

I thought the ping evidence would be coming in though...

I SO hope this happens! I can't listen to little Caylee singing, 'you are my shunshine' without bawling my eyes out. (It's so endearing the way she couldn't properly form the word 'sunshine yet.) Gad, my eyes are welling up even as I type this. Such a precious little girl - a precious life lost.

I hate Casey Anthony with every fiber of my being.

Has anything been said about the tape being rare or different from most duct tape?

Not yet ... maybe the Shurtape expert, the duct tape manufacturer of Henkel brand is being flown in today to testify about that??

We still don't know who the last state witness is? Could it be Casey's childhood friend, Kia (I think that's her name). JVM was speculating it would be her.

:dunno: can someone please answer this?

I wouldn't say the State hammered it home,but the witness who saw the residue was very credible,IMO. This wasn't "The Casey Anthony Murder Case" to her,it was just a piece of duct tape she was processing.

I'm also thinking that the DT will say that they're not ready to present their case on Thursday. They were probably originally banking on the SA wrapping up on Friday with the possibility that court would be in recess until Monday, June 20. Whatever the case, I don't expect them to be prepared on Thursday. jmo

If that is the case, JBP might just blow a gasket!! I think he has just about had it with the DT!!:banghead::loser:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz