2011.06.30 TRIAL Day Thirty-two (Afternoon Session)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SIDEBAR #11 (2:21-2:26)

HHJBP: Okay, who will be the state's witness? Alina Burroughs.

JA: First witness will take 30 seconds. Second witness will be Michael Vincent and his examination of State's Exhibit 322. His testimony will be that the odor in the can will be the same as that in the trunk, but with less intensity.

JB: I think the court needs to evaluate what this is in rebuttal of.

JA: Furton's statement that the odor in the trunk came from the trash. I feel the Jury is going to want to smell the evidence. As they passed around the garbage, one or two of the jurors smelled it. They are going to want to do it and we are going to need to determine how to do that and part of the predicate is that the smell in the can is the same as the car. Doesn't know if the Court will allow them to smell. Obviously the testimony is permissible, but doesn't know if the court wants to address the next issue.

JB: Dr. Furton was asked specifically if he had smelled the trash or the carpet.

JA: The defense going to concede that the odor in the car came from the trash? We know they won't.

HHJBP: How many witnesses did you put on that said it was human decomp?

JA: At least 4 or 5. Each witness was cross examined vigorously. I anticipate the defense is going to continue to convince the jury that the smell came from the garbage.

HHJBP: Isn't that a jury question since you have had Furton say it was not and a fair number on the other side saying it was human decomp. Dr. Vass who smelled it and it was the odor of decomp and his testing also said that. Trying to figure out what it rebuts.

JA: It rebuts the direct testimony that the odor is from the trash. What are we going to do when the jury asks to smell the can.

HHJBP: Do you want the jury to open the can up in the jury room and smell it?

JB: I would ask the court to review Huff and Clark.

JA: Huff issue - a single juror gaining experience with an item and telling other jurors what it is. These cases do not hold for the proposition that the jurors can't use their sense of smell on the evidence. I can find no legal support for the proposition that they can't. Decker v Knowles involving a situation where the jurors on their own during deliberation smelled some marijuana evidence that was placed before them and the question was whether or not it was improper. The partial holding of the court was that the jurors use of smell was not improper. Washington v Fairbanks - a case in which the issue was the prosecutor in a marijuana case - issue about officers testifying that the odor of fresh marijuana had an odor they could recognize. The prosecutor brought in a bag of fresh marijuana as a demonstrative exhibit - the court indicated this was appropriate. There are legions of cases from the twenties and thirties involving prohibition where juries were permitted to smell and taste. He can't find anything that would prohibit the jury from smelling it. If they want to, then they each must smell it individually to avoid Clark. Mike Vincent's testimony...

JB: JA did not understand jury instructions. Your Honor told the prosecutor if they wanted to do this, then they would need specific case law to do it. We have an unusual situation. The court was clear during jury selection what the jury was and had instructed the prosecution to provide something and they did not. Now they want to try again. The first time in the State of Florida the Jury should smell something and become witnesses to the smell of decomp. He does not know which jurors know the smell of decomp. We can't start changing the rules. Also, under the Fairbanks case, the Defense opened the door and there is no such situation in this case.

HHJBP: The Court raised this issue in jury selection and the Court called everyone's attention to Smith v State - a 1948 decision - where they said - the question is not a new one. It has been before this court a great many time and has been a cause of reversal over a long period of time. The court of criminal appeals condemns the practice of having the jurors smell or taste whiskey because it calls upon them to become witnesses and when a juror stated during deliberation that it smelled like whiskey - that becomes new evidence received. Also Decker v Knowles and that there was a case out of the Supreme Court of New Mexico - which said you could do it and it was a case dealing with the smell of alcohol, commonly known as whiskey/beer which was traditionally within the realm of beer or alcohol would smell like. There are two cases in Florida that have sort of dealt with this issue - jury experimentation. The latest case comes from the Florida Supreme Court - Lynch v State - a case that was a death 3851 case presided over by O.H. Eaton. The defense found fault with Judge Eaton of going back and looking at an item of evidence which was a Glock weapon and the Judge was trying to see if what the firearms expert was consistent with his manipulation of the weapon. The Court drew a narrow distinction because it was a non-scientific conclusion. In Lynch there was a site - Castillo v Vision Health - talking about so-called jury experimentation. Trial court did not abuse discretion in a med-mal case when a surgeon left fragments of sponge in an eye in allowing a deliberating jury to replicate a demonstration done by a defense expert in trial in which an expert had placed a sponge in water to show how the sponge expanded. What they concluded was that a demonstration of a demonstration in court, was not new evidence.

If the jury is allowed to go back and open up a can, why would they be doing that? (SIT DOWN JA - I'M NOT FINISHED TALKING) Are we asking them to determine if it is trash or the scent of a decomposing body when in Jury selection there were about 3 or 4 potential jurors who had smelled the odor. He can't remember if any of those are on the jury. How would the Defense be able to cross examine that particular juror or determine what sway that juror would have on the other jurors. To permit them to smell and the one who had experience to say that was the odor of decomp would be new extrinsic evidence and would violate ICA's due process rights and 6th amendment right.

The Court finds that evidence will not go back to the Jury even though all items of evidence are supposed to. The Court will exercise it's discretion and will not allow any smell test by jurors. There has been ample testimony - cutting edge/voodoo testimony.

The testimony of Detective Vincent is not rebuttal and will not be permitted.

LDB: e could introduce some photos and documents and then deal with the issue with the Gentiva records for the balance of the day and take care of that in the morning.

I agree leave the can out. Don't push.......

Really agree.. The jurers have heard over and over about "the smell"..
I'm sure that they won't ask ... Right now, "if you get my drift".. it smells plenty bad in their minds... and can stay right there in the can!!

when HHJP said "voodoo science", ICA looked up towards JB as if to say "hey... we could have used THAT in my defense... "

:floorlaugh:

[/C
JA proposes to ask Mike Vincent re: SA #22 -= metal can...they opened it ....the odor is the same odor just not as strong....

JB court needs to evaluate what it is in rebuttal?
JA - winston testifed odor did not come from the trash..
when we passed around the garbage one or 2 of them smelled it....smell in the can is same smell in the car...dont know ifwe will be permitted to allow them to use ofactory senses...don't know but ...still on rebuttal issue...Dr. Furton said noting to rebut ...odor from car came from the trash...that is what they will rebut...Dr. Furton.....we plan to rebut that the smell was not from trash

HHBp - how many witneses you put on testified not trash....

JA 4 or 5....many of those witnesses smelled...include most recent GA ....I believe jury will want to smell the can....

HHBP is it up to jury to smell when wyou have had all these people testify and Dr. VAss it was human decomp....and even his test saidconsistent with human decompl...
what does that rebut? to me it doesn't rebut anything

JA what are we going to do when jury asks to smell it

HHBP do you want the jury to open the can up and smell it Mr. Baaaeeezzz? X2

Huff
JA when you have a single juror and tell opinion to others....we shouldn't do that...those cases dont hold the proposition the jurors cannot use an ofactory sense ....I cna't find a single time case law doesn't allow it....Decker vs. Knowles....

this case involves a situation where jurors on their own during deliberation....smelled mariuana evidence before them and there wasa question of the court was whether that was proper....partial holding of the court...jurors use of ofactory sense was not improper..ingrid vs. texas....

next case washington vs. fairbanks...court of appeals of WA...prosecotor in a Marijuana case...the odor of fresh marijuana had a distinct odor they recognized....let me giv eyou the case that I am talking about.....

in Fairbanks prosecution brought in a bag of fresh marijuana as a demonstrative exhibit...to allow jurors to smell what it smelled...court approved it was appropraite....there are legions of cases during 1920 and 1930 jurors were allowed to smell and even taste liquor....jurors may ask - they could use sens of sight, hearing, touch and smell...
if they do ask...can's be passed to them and they each smell it....avoid problem of one juror smelling and telling the others....

ofactory sense is no less sense or not....

limited testimony will e that it will smell the same just less intesne

JB - if they wanted to do this will have provide case law...doesn't mean getting a case from California or Guam...this is not a 701.1...

court was clear....he had instructed to provide something ....here @ end of trial they want to try again....nothing Mr. ashton has presented that should give that evidence to court....first time in FL jury has become a witness to smell human decomposition.....I dont know if Juror # 1 has become ?....do we have 6 or 1 I don't know....prejudice @ this opint.....can't change rules mid game....can't provide case law on point at end of day right @ end of trial hope judge will change his mind...authority...

JB add another opint...under fairbanks case the DT opened the door....not the case here....SA had ample witnesses come and testify about the smell....again they are attempting to make these jurors witnesses...also another case.

the court raised this issue when in jury selection...court called attention smith vs. state of texas...1948 decision from criminal court of appeals...question not a new one been before this court great many times...and cause of reversal over a long period of time... cour of appeals stop having jurors to stop smell or taste whiskey....a juror who said it smelled or tasted of whiskey...new evidence received....that was the case I told you bout....also told you about case of Decker ves Knowles,,case from supreme court of new mexico...said you could do it...case deal with smell of etol...commonly known as whiskey beer...traditional within realm of ordinary as to what beer or adult alcoholic beverages smell like....2 cases in FL...dealt with this issue and label jury experimentation....latest case is Lynch vs. state fl...pg 47 ....case presided over by Juris OHE...dt found fault with judge...since he was was trier of fact glock weapon and judge eton tried to see if firearms expert with the weapon.....court drew ...non-scientific conclusion....

cite from court dist court of appeals....Castio vs. vision health and surgical center....discussed jury experimentation...head note trail court did not abuse discretion in med malpractice when surgeon left sponge in patients eye....allow jury to replicate a DT exhibit @ trial...where expert placed sponge in water show how sponge expanded...replication of a demonstratoin in court....not new evidence in court...\

If jury is allow to go back and open can...are we allowing them to become witnesses....sit down Mr. Ashton....you determinebased on own senses whether trash or scent of decomp body....in jury selection there were 3 or 4 said they smeled odor....I can'tremember whether juror survived the selection of this jury....how is it that that particular juror have or sway the other jurors....one jury may have had 3experience say that is it...the odor of deomp...the intrinsic ....would deny her 6th amend right to confront her juror to cross examine that jury...therefore that particular item will not go back with the jury...I am well aware of the ....all evidence will go back....judges are not supposed to be potted plants....what Mr. Baez would call cutting edge if on SA side and voodoo science if on DT side...witnesses were subject to cross exam what they thought that odor was....

the testimony from Mr. vincent is not rebuttal and therefore court will not allow his testimony...

any further

LDb - bring jurors in ....take care of brief testimony and let you hammer out those issues..anyone need a break? 5 min break...

OLOR]

HHJP treats JA like the OLDER child. You know the one that always gets into trouble and you should know better.

Sit down Mr. Ashton, I am not finish. Mr. Ashton, I apoligize and HHJP says I know?

But how many times has JB interupted HHJP and nothing said to him.

I hope you're right. It makes me sad when Ashton is treated like that. He is so brilliant and passionate.

HHJP said earlier if she takes the 5th then all of her testimony will be stricken!:great:

I would love to see her take the 5th. Heck it keeps her in the news. More people would talk about that than ICA not taking the stand.

When I was an EMS Supervisor, I had an admin password, and could access and "log in" "log out" any of 200+ employees, as well as see their computer activity. That is where I see HHJP heading with the "fabricating evidence" comment, as more than one person possibly could access their terminal/timeclock/etc.

Without the original HDD's to examine, it is relying on backed up data on another computer... is their a 100% gaurantee that that data is all now true and accuate? and if it's discovered that it's presented not exactly as the original, that would be evidence fabrication and the possibility of getting the entire case be thrown out. SAO is willing to risk that?? foolish IMO. jmoo

I do not see the entire case in danger of being thrown out over this pending testimony. And I do see the importance of the SA wanting to object to Cindy's version of events in the computer searches. I think it is very important.

Wow if it is not bad enough that they have to live with the images they have seen during the trial, I can't imagine trying to live with the memory of the smell. There was an article recently (cnn?) on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with jury members in gorey trials. I'm glad it was not let in.

I know! I hear in some cases the jurors end up having to go into therapy. They see and hear some horrible things in some cases.

I think I would be forever affected by seeing the actual skull picture with the duct tape stuck to the hair. That would affect me for quite a while. IMO. That would be very hard to have seen.

KBelichWFTV: Chief Judge will not allow Vincent to testify.. Says it's not rebuttal.. Ample evidence already presented about smell in car [via Twitter]

The smell evidence, IMO, is no different than any of the photographic evidence that has been introduced. The photographic evidence can be interpreted, just as the smell in the cans is subject to interpretation.

It is no different than any of the *expert* witness testimony.

but what if a juror was color blind or legally blind? I'm not sure how that is handled in any case.

I'm glad they didn't allow the smell test..what if one of the jurors thought they knew the smell of decomp and after they smelled it they said "that doesn't smell like it to me". That would be bad for the State

I am still in shock that the Jurors did not do a "jury view" of the site where the remains were found. I think that really helps Jurors understand testimony when it is later presented in trial. JMHO.

HHJP rules on smell of decomposition in the can:

If the jury opens the can and smells it, what would they smell it to determine? Are we making them witnesses? Are we asking them, Can you determine based on your own senses to say it is the scent of a decomposing body?

In jury selection, 3 or 4 said they already smelled the odor, but I can't remember which ones. How would the defense be able to question that one particular juror and know what impact that one juror will have on other jurors?

In my estimation the new extrinsic evidence would deny ICA her 6th amendment right to confront witnesses against her because she would have no ability to question that member of the jury.

We will not allow any smell test by jurors. There has been ample testimony, cutting edge or voodoo science, depending on which side you're on, on Mr. Baez side it's voodoo science, we have had ample evidence from several witnesses as to what the testimony was (and what the can smelled like).

We will not permit Mr. Vincent's testimony.

My suspicion is that Casey is reading either (1) Baez closing statement or (2) instructions to the jury

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member