2011.06.30 TRIAL Day Thirty-two (Afternoon Session)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newbie and certainly not a legal brain, but what is the difference between the jury looking at a photo of say blood spatter evidence coupled with testimony from a blood spatter expert and a can of "odor" coupled with an odor experts testimony? Or even hearing a recording that is verified by an expert? Those situations do not seem to make a juror a witness to me. Isn't one sense just as good as another? Or am I just way off base?

Well, I am not a biologist :crazy:, but I think that the sense of smell is processed differently than say vision. The real issue is that the smell itself is not being presented as evidence. For a photo, the photo is presented and testimony is given to explain what it is. Same for a recording. In order to validate a smell to the jury, IMO, they would have to bring a fresh corpse in and let the jury smell what the example dead body smells like for reference so that they can know that the smell in the can is the same. (This is what one of JA's examples did. They brought fresh marjuana in for the jury to compare the smell with.)

Not sure if anyone is going to see this post.

I have a question. Now that HHJP has ruled that the jury is not permitted to smell the contents of the can, in what manner is HHJP going to insure that the jury knows that they cannot smell the contents? If they do open that can and smell it, mistrial for sure. HJJP needs to tell the jury before they begin to deliberate, correct?

Will the can be included with all of the other evidence, when it comes time for deliberations? Even though the ruling was made no doubt "in an abundance of caution" and/or that the defendant cannot cross examine a can nor a juror, I presume that HHJP when reading the instructions to the jury, will add that they are not permitted to open the can? This is the first time that I can remember a piece of evidence having an instruction similar to this. I have some issues with memory though.

ICA does not want to read her dad's suicide letter...surprise surprise (sarcasm)

wait!! or is she reading sideways?

Taking a break. I do not wish to read a private letter from some one contemplating suicide.

Can't believe that ICA finds this all so amusing.....

I hope the jury saw ICA burst out laughing....unreal.

I don't think State will call CA back to stand. No need to do so. DT shouldn't either but who knows with JB.

What are the Home Depot videos?

No one knows for sure. They were mentioned, I think back in May. Many think it may be surveillance camera images of KC purchasing ingredients for chloroform.

Mark Lippman came back to courtroom and sat next to George. Cindy stayed in hallway. #CaseyAnthony -jfell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
70DaysofSilence