4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO it’s a “No Brainer” that:

(1) The killer wore protective gear during the murders in order to keep their fingerprints, hair, skin cells, bodily fluids (blood sweat and tears), etc. and associated DNA “within” their gear, and the same of the victims “without”.

(2) The killer knew enough and was careful enough after they stabbed the 4 victims to death to then doff their protective gear using the roll-from-the-inside-out method in order to prevent bodily contact with the victims’ blood on the outside of their gear, before dropping their rolled up gear into a plastic garbage bag and/or waterproof dry bag (used on boats to prevent fluids getting on and in gear in wet conditions). They likely wore clean under gloves while they disrobed so nothing would get on the outside of the bag. They may have bagged up the sharp-edged murder weapon with their gear or may have bagged it separately.

IMO, following these 2 basic protocols which are standard operating procedures (SOPs) in many industries that are required in order to maintain a clean work environment and / or prevent the gear covered person from contaminating the environment they’re working in and vice versa so there is no exchange of any materials between person and environment no matter what they’re doing — e.g., handling chemicals or biohazard materials in a lab or clean room or waste management facility, or in this case stabbing 4 people to death in a house — is also widely known to be very close to (but not guaranteed) 100% effective in preventing cross contamination. Especially if the protective body suit is duct taped to gloves at the wrists and booties at the ankles covering the skin completely, and a face mask, hat and/or hood or bathing cap covers the face and head. The whole setup is called an encapsulating personal protective suit, and millions of people wear them every day around the world and don and doff them using these SOPs several times a day for breaks and meals.

In fact, back to the killer who LE says is BK, and his DNA on the knife, IMO:

(3) His DNA could have easily gotten there without his knowledge if ONE TIME during the donning and doffing of his protective gear AND holding the knife sheath at ANY time before, during, and after the murders his clean glove brushed his sweaty brow and a microscopic droplet landed in the snap, or he coughed or sneezed over it, or unsnapped the sheath using what he thought was a clean glove and it had a tiny bit of one of his bodily fluids on it or he had dry skin and a tiny flake drifted off his brow onto the glove before he touched the snap.

(4) After he left the scene with the sealed bag(s) of gear and got into what was likely his plastic sheet covered car interior and trunk, and drove out to wilderness areas and by a river on his way back home, he likely knew enough and had planned enough to dispose of the evidence or hide it out there, never to be found.

(5) After he disposed of the bloody evidence and murder weapon (or hid them) he knew enough and was likely aware enough to realize that there’s always the chance no matter how careful he was that some small smudge of blood or bone fragment or tiny bit of hair could have gotten on him and fallen off in his car or he touched the gear shift or key with an unclean glove, so he detailed it (vacuumed and wiped down surfaces and sanitized the interior and trunk, and washed the exterior including the tires in case dirt from where he parked during the murders could be traced to their neighborhood.

Then he thought job well done, they’ll never be able to find any trace evidence from me in the house or the victims’ on me or in my car, so not in my apartment, I was so careful and followed SOPs to prevent cross contamination.

All MOO with some repeats here that I’ve posted my theories on before based on my work experience and knowledge of the lengths criminals — especially killers who are punished more severely if caught than for other crimes — will go to to avoid getting caught.

He already exhibited behaviors of not wanting to get caught by killing them in the middle of the night slipping in when it was quiet and dark and the people in the house were either asleep or drowsy and on their way to sleep.

So why would he be any less cognizant of the need for stealth and care in not leaving his DNA there or taking the victims’ DNA away with him by wearing protective gear and disposing of the evidence in a remote location and cleaning his car just in case?

I’m very confident he wouldn’t want to be “that guy” who wasn’t ultra careful when he committed the murders if from his college studies he knew about psychology (the study of human behavior), criminal justice (study of how criminals are brought to justice), and more recently at the time of their murders Criminology (the study of crime).

Instead he would go above and beyond like a maniac spinning out to plan and then do all that to dodge LE and go on to admire his aplomb in committing the perfect simultaneous quadruple murder crimes.

So whenever someone doubts he could be the killer without leaving more evidence behind, I say please consider this ^^^^^ .

He was no dummy and he was hell bent on murdering those innocent kids and getting away with it.

Him being careful and not leaving or taking DNA from the crime scene is basic stuff and you can study all about it on the Internet without even going to school for it!

MOO
great post

he was well prepared and had years to research, study, contemplate and plan.

there seems to be some weird dual argument being made in BKs favor.

It’s simultaneously:

BK is a genius criminal justice student who couldn’t have possibly made these many mistakes (car, phone, etc)…

AND

The crime scene and home/car/office was far too clean to have been pulled off by the genius criminal justice student BK. It’s odd that there were no mistakes.

Edit: the reply box was filled with other text when I posted. So deleted it.

Snipped for focus.

In fact, back to the killer who LE says is BK, and his DNA on the knife, IMO:

(3) His DNA could have easily gotten there without his knowledge if ONE TIME during the donning and doffing of his protective gear AND holding the knife sheath at ANY time before, during, and after the murders his clean glove brushed his sweaty brow and a microscopic droplet landed in the snap, or he coughed or sneezed over it, or unsnapped the sheath using what he thought was a clean glove and it had a tiny bit of one of his bodily fluids on it or he had dry skin and a tiny flake drifted off his brow onto the glove before he touched the snap.

(4) After he left the scene with the sealed bag(s) of gear and got into what was likely his plastic sheet covered car interior and trunk, and drove out to wilderness areas and by a river on his way back home, he likely knew enough and had planned enough to dispose of the evidence or hide it out there, never to be found.

(5) After he disposed of the bloody evidence and murder weapon (or hid them) he knew enough and was likely aware enough to realize that there’s always the chance no matter how careful he was that some small smudge of blood or bone fragment or tiny bit of hair could have gotten on him and fallen off in his car or he touched the gear shift or key with an unclean glove, so he detailed it (vacuumed and wiped down surfaces and sanitized the interior and trunk, and washed the exterior including the tires in case dirt from where he parked during the murders could be traced to their neighborhood.

Then he thought job well done, they’ll never be able to find any trace evidence from me in the house or the victims’ on me or in my car, so not in my apartment, I was so careful and followed SOPs to prevent cross contamination.

All MOO with some repeats here that I’ve posted my theories on before based on my work experience and knowledge of the lengths criminals — especially killers who are punished more severely if caught than for other crimes — will go to to avoid getting caught.

He already exhibited behaviors of not wanting to get caught by killing them in the middle of the night slipping in when it was quiet and dark and the people in the house were either asleep or drowsy and on their way to sleep.

So why would he be any less cognizant of the need for stealth and care in not leaving his DNA there or taking the victims’ DNA away with him by wearing protective gear and disposing of the evidence in a remote location and cleaning his car just in case?

I’m very confident he wouldn’t want to be “that guy” who wasn’t ultra careful when he committed the murders if from his college studies he knew about psychology (the study of human behavior), criminal justice (study of how criminals are brought to justice), and more recently at the time of their murders Criminology (the study of crime).

Instead he would go above and beyond like a maniac spinning out to plan and then do all that to dodge LE and go on to admire his aplomb in committing the perfect simultaneous quadruple murder crimes.

So whenever someone doubts he could be the killer without leaving more evidence behind, I say please consider this ^^^^^ .

He was no dummy and he was hell bent on murdering those innocent kids and getting away with it.

Him being careful and not leaving or taking DNA from the crime scene is basic stuff and you can study all about it on the Internet without even going to school for it!

MOO

I totally agree with your first section, but can't let #3 on your list go. I find this very hard to imagine. I don't think there's a single easy way that the DNA got on the use point of the sheath. It's possible Kohberger could *forget* that he touched it, but there's no way that there was enough DNA (from only ONE person) on that use point if he merely wiped his brow nearby. I think we might be disagreeing about what constitutes Kohberger Knowledge, though. And I get your point about how it could have been inadvertent (but my intuition is telling me: he'd used that knife before and never intended to leave any part of it or the sheath behind as evidence). He was totally hell bent on killing people that night - and getting away with it.

My point is that he knew right away he forgot the sheath. He figured that out when he went to implement his "knife disposal" plans and did those intricate actions you so ably to describe (to get rid of blood evidence before getting into the car - and he did it very quickly). He knew he had touched the sheath (probably several - or many - times). He had to have been worrying about DNA on the sheath the entire time he was sorting trash and using someone else's trash bins. IMO. He thought about the fact that he had used his fingers to open the sheath - great way to leave DNA and even if he had gloves on that night, he did not always wear gloves when using that knife. IMO.

I believe he intended to toss the knife and the sheath in the same place.

It's possible he went back the next day (despite his own reasoning telling him that was a huge risk) to retrieve the sheath. It's even possible he went back into the house again. Indeed, it's possible he left even more stuff behind (in house, on property) and that he retrieved some of it, unseen by the same cameras that failed to show him entering the house earlier that day.

Totally agree that he was no dummy (and the ABC Podcast made me think that even more). He was a planner and a studier. He had to be, to cope with his VSS, if for no other reason - and that struggle was real.

Everything else you wrote I agree with 1000%. This was planned out and a mistake was made (per usual with most crimes).

The picture you're painting is of a man who might consider himself superior to or at least able to win a competition with all the "careless" or "non-rational" criminals (who get caught). A really smart, rational criminal will not be caught (thought Kohberger, if what you and I think is true).

I have some theories on how this state of Kohberger's mind might have come about, but I'm still mulling over how to put it down in writing. I believe that what he planned and proposed to himself, in his own mind, to do, turned out to be more difficult that he reasoned or expected. The entire covering up of self and then removing the clothing for disposal (which almost certainly had to be done) occupied his mind. The use of the knife and the way he wanted to approach his target victims also filled his mind.

He forgot the sheath. And I bet that when the sheath receives full study, there will be more of his DNA on that sheath, along with bovine DNA and the DNA of 1-2 other males (it's my understanding the Ka-Bar sheaths are tanned and constructed in one area of Mexico - and the other males' DNA will be consistent with Mexican markers, IMO). The snap itself was machine installed (at the very end of the process - right before non-human involved packaging, IMO).

I totally agree with your first section, but can't let #3 on your list go. I find this very hard to imagine. I don't think there's a single easy way that the DNA got on the use point of the sheath. It's possible Kohberger could *forget* that he touched it, but there's no way that there was enough DNA (from only ONE person) on that use point if he merely wiped his brow nearby. I think we might be disagreeing about what constitutes Kohberger Knowledge, though. And I get your point about how it could have been inadvertent (but my intuition is telling me: he'd used that knife before and never intended to leave any part of it or the sheath behind as evidence). He was totally hell bent on killing people that night - and getting away with it.

My point is that he knew right away he forgot the sheath. He figured that out when he went to implement his "knife disposal" plans and did those intricate actions you so ably to describe (to get rid of blood evidence before getting into the car - and he did it very quickly). He knew he had touched the sheath (probably several - or many - times). He had to have been worrying about DNA on the sheath the entire time he was sorting trash and using someone else's trash bins. IMO. He thought about the fact that he had used his fingers to open the sheath - great way to leave DNA and even if he had gloves on that night, he did not always wear gloves when using that knife. IMO.

I believe he intended to toss the knife and the sheath in the same place.

It's possible he went back the next day (despite his own reasoning telling him that was a huge risk) to retrieve the sheath. It's even possible he went back into the house again. Indeed, it's possible he left even more stuff behind (in house, on property) and that he retrieved some of it, unseen by the same cameras that failed to show him entering the house earlier that day.

Totally agree that he was no dummy (and the ABC Podcast made me think that even more). He was a planner and a studier. He had to be, to cope with his VSS, if for no other reason - and that struggle was real.

Everything else you wrote I agree with 1000%. This was planned out and a mistake was made (per usual with most crimes).

The picture you're painting is of a man who might consider himself superior to or at least able to win a competition with all the "careless" or "non-rational" criminals (who get caught). A really smart, rational criminal will not be caught (thought Kohberger, if what you and I think is true).

I have some theories on how this state of Kohberger's mind might have come about, but I'm still mulling over how to put it down in writing. I believe that what he planned and proposed to himself, in his own mind, to do, turned out to be more difficult that he reasoned or expected. The entire covering up of self and then removing the clothing for disposal (which almost certainly had to be done) occupied his mind. The use of the knife and the way he wanted to approach his target victims also filled his mind.

He forgot the sheath. And I bet that when the sheath receives full study, there will be more of his DNA on that sheath, along with bovine DNA and the DNA of 1-2 other males (it's my understanding the Ka-Bar sheaths are tanned and constructed in one area of Mexico - and the other males' DNA will be consistent with Mexican markers, IMO). The snap itself was machine installed (at the very end of the process - right before non-human involved packaging, IMO).
It's quite possible that he carried the knife in the sheath with the snap function unused. Just slipped it in there.
his single source dNA was there from before the night of the killings.
Snap could have been a tad stiff and he didn't need to use it, he only had to walk a few feet before pouncing upon his first two sleeping victims.

One last thing before I turn in early.

I think BK spent years planning for the moment he entered the house, the crime, and his departure. And a fraction of the time planning out the initial stalking and approach to the crime scene.

I bet he canvased that route onto King’s Rd 100 times but outright missed some cameras and assumed others wouldn’t be on at that time of night. I bet that he thought if his phone only pinged in Pullman in the general vicinity of his apartment that the time that it was turned off would go completely unnoticed.

He vastly overestimated his understanding of today’s technology and current FBI/NSA/CSA investigative techniques that are only found in white papers or not at all. The outdated and rudimentary Digital Forensics Certificate likely only helped create this false perception of his technical abilities. In classic Dunning Krueger form

The DNA is strong on its own. But ultimately it will be technology that will be his undoing. I’m expecting a long trail of digital evidence. The 2 prepaid phones LE asked about, the very specific questions they asked Snapchat, and the digital forensic evidence that they will likely extract from his computer(s) and his Google account.

Phone evidence goes with the car evidence. No way to explain away the phone evidence of his own phone pinging on cell towers in conjunction with the car that looks like his.

Was someone else using his phone? No. Or there would be an alibi. Defense still refuses to give prosecution the alibi the prosecution is entitled to.

Gee, I wonder why that is?

Well, again, we come to the question of accurate triangulation when there is 8 miles distance between Moscow and Pullman. Maybe the same cell towers service both. I played with "find my phone" function. Depending on the day, I could see my phone in my house, in the neighborhood, or in the next town. Maybe there is some other way to determine the cell phone's position precisely. But unless I am explained what it is, I am skeptical.

Ethan Chapin. Ethan's Smile has partnered with glassybaby for a special fundraiser for scholarships.

With all things Ethan, we feel honored to have partnered with glassybaby on this special fundraiser. All the proceeds of “Ethan’s Smile” will go directly to the Ethan’s Smile Foundation. The Chapin family plan to use their Foundation to grant as many scholarships as possible in the Skagit Valley and beyond. In addition, glassybaby will also donate $3 per glassybaby to the University of Idaho Vandal Scholarship Program in memory of the four that were lost in the November 2022 tragedy.

Ethan’s Smile glassybaby will be packaged in a magnetic hinged box and will include a candle and circle card. Also, a reminder that glassybaby are individually hand-blown works of art and can vary widely. There will be no returns/refunds as this is a fundraiser.

Shipping is available, $12.50 per glassybaby. Items will ship Tuesday, August 8th directly from glassybaby's warehouse.

edit add pic

Last edited:
Well, again, we come to the question of accurate triangulation when there is 8 miles distance between Moscow and Pullman. Maybe the same cell towers service both. I played with "find my phone" function. Depending on the day, I could see my phone in my house, in the neighborhood, or in the next town. Maybe there is some other way to determine the cell phone's position precisely. But unless I am explained what it is, I am skeptical.

I'm confident the FBI will provide a cell phone expert to testify at BK's trial. An FBI cell phone expert testified at Patrick Frazee's trial and he's right where he belongs.

JMO

@TL4S said Bryan's phone was only 1/2 mile from the King Rd residence. Many say he was innocently going shopping the 11 times he was in Moscow before and after midnight but how many shopping areas are just a 1/2 mile away and also open past midnight?

@TL4S Post:

...... Per the warrants, LE requested cell data from within a half mile of the King road house, so it isn't just like his phone was within the entire cell tower's range, in any direction, 12 random visits to Moscow. He was within a half mile (using sectors and distances, they can narrow it down a lot).

Then SG mentioned that BK's phone had been close enough to "touch" their wifi/bluetooth. IMO, that's enough to toss out any suggestions that he was just going shopping or whatever. He was right there, 12 times, mostly late night or early morning hours............

Again, I was responding to a post that asked what if there's no other evidence. My comment was suggesting there IS evidence or else it's been cleaned by him or someone else.

And yes, I still believe that it's improbable that he used his car after and managed to clean all the nooks and crannies to pass a complete FBI disassembly of the car.

I have no idea what you mean by having it both ways.
You’re suggesting it would be possible for someone (BK or someone else) to clean up a murder scene and leave nothing but one of the perpetrator’s DNA on the snap of a knife sheath, but not possible for BK to have committed the crime and cleaned up all evidence of having done so out of his car. Doesn’t make sense.
Either it’s possible for BOTH someone to clean the crime scene to the point where only a small area of touch DNA was left AND BK to be able to clean his car (or cover with plastic) to the extent as to to prevent any blood/ DNA transfer.
OR neither is possible.
You can’t say one is possible but the other entirely impossible. So if you believe that BK (or another person) could have cleaned the crime scene so thoroughly that nothing else else was left, then you need to also concede that he COULD have done the same to his car. That’s what I mean by can’t have it both ways.

You’re suggesting it would be possible for someone (BK or someone else) to clean up a murder scene and leave nothing but one of the perpetrator’s DNA on the snap of a knife sheath, but not possible for BK to have committed the crime and cleaned up all evidence of having done so out of his car. Doesn’t make sense.
Either it’s possible for BOTH someone to clean the crime scene to the point where only a small area of touch DNA was left AND BK to be able to clean his car (or cover with plastic) to the extent as to to prevent any blood/ DNA transfer.
OR neither is possible.

I disagree with your premise. It IS possible to clean up a crime scene so that no evidence is left and/or to prepare for a crime scene so that no evidence is left. Though evidence of cleaning may be left.

At the same time, I agree with the "experts" on the car:

This was also discussed many threads ago and many of us were confident there would be some evidence in the car.

You can’t say one is possible but the other entirely.

Sure I can. It's my opinion.

So if you believe that BK (or another person) could have cleaned the crime scene so thoroughly that nothing else else was left, then you need to also concede that he COULD have done the same to his car. That’s what I mean by can’t have it both ways.

No, I don't. Please don't tell me what to think. I'm allowed my own opinion.

MOO.

Does anyone think that we will ever find out in what manner the suspect became first acquainted with these victims?

I am guessing that the answer to this lies in what other information the prosecution has on BK or in the defense portrayal of his whereabouts the night of Nov 12/13.
From the Defense objection to Protective Order: 6/22/23 page 3 paragraph 2

There is no connection between Mr. Kohberger and the victims.

IMO the pertinent Search Warrants (tik tok twitter tinder snap etc) would have been added to the motions to compel if the D hadn't received those items in discovery.
JMO
@TL4S said Bryan's phone was only 1/2 mile from the King Rd residence. Many say he was innocently going shopping the 11 times he was in Moscow before and after midnight but how many shopping areas are just a 1/2 mile away and also open past midnight?

@TL4S Post:

...... Per the warrants, LE requested cell data from within a half mile of the King road house, so it isn't just like his phone was within the entire cell tower's range, in any direction, 12 random visits to Moscow. He was within a half mile (using sectors and distances, they can narrow it down a lot).

Then SG mentioned that BK's phone had been close enough to "touch" their wifi/bluetooth. IMO, that's enough to toss out any suggestions that he was just going shopping or whatever. He was right there, 12 times, mostly late night or early morning hours............
The 0.5 mile geofence warrant was for all records between 3-5 am Nov 13th. BKs phone was turned off. And there is no 6th Ammend reason given for sealing this warrant. This is the only ATT geofence warrant for 0.5 mile that I see. It is possible he had another phone that came up in this warrant, but why no 6th Ammend then?

I keep seeing this posted and am curious if there is another warrant you are aware of that shows BK within 1/2 mile of the residence?

1688090294917.png
1688090369863.png

edit: typo and added distance
ETA IMO

Last edited:
I disagree with your premise. It IS possible to clean up a crime scene so that no evidence is left and/or to prepare for a crime scene so that no evidence is left. Though evidence of cleaning may be left.

This was also discussed many threads ago and many of us were confident there would be some evidence in the car.

MOO.
What the experts found in the car is going to be very important evidence in addition to the DNA. I wonder if the map leads to where BK disposed of the knife.

JMO

They took a door panel, seat cushions, headrests, a seat belt, a visor, and brake and gas pedals from the car, according to court documents unsealed earlier this month. Police also seized hiking boots, a shovel, goggles, gloves, floor mats, a band aid, maps, documents, and other items from the vehicle.

MOO.
So it’s possible to do it in a giant house but not a car? That’s what I’m asking.

I have a very, very hard time believing that some maniac killed 4 people in the dark in 15 minutes and left no other evidence behind except for touch DNA on a sheath. For me, that falls under the impossible category and would suggest that either he isn't the one or he or someone else cleaned up the crime scene.

JMO.
The level of clean up to remove dna would have been detectable. I doubt a quick swish w a cloth or a vacuum would do it and anything done would show in the bloody scene .

The killer was highly protected I’m sure .
Neither , hair nor fingerprints nor other dna were found apart from the sheath

What the experts found in the car is going to be very important evidence in addition to the DNA. I wonder if the map leads to where BK disposed of the knife.

JMO

They took a door panel, seat cushions, headrests, a seat belt, a visor, and brake and gas pedals from the car, according to court documents unsealed earlier this month. Police also seized hiking boots, a shovel, goggles, gloves, floor mats, a band aid, maps, documents, and other items from the vehicle.

Precisely. And if they didn't find anything, that will also be very important. JMO

I think LE and the DA are confident and that is why this is a death penalty case. We won't know of all the evidence until trial.

Let's hope so, considering the defense has already said in official court filings that there was no victim DNA found in his car.

From the Defense objection to Protective Order: 6/22/23 page 3 paragraph 2

There is no connection between Mr. Kohberger and the victims.

IMO the pertinent Search Warrants (tik tok twitter tinder snap etc) would have been added to the motions to compel if the D hadn't received those items in discovery.
JMO

The 0.5 mile geofence warrant was for all records between 3-5 am Nov 13th. BKs phone was turned off. And there is no 6th Ammend reason given for sealing this warrant. This is the only ATT geofence warrant for 0.5 mile that I see. It is possible he had another phone that came up in this warrant, but why no 6th Ammend then?

I keep seeing this posted and am curious if there is another warrant you are aware of that shows BK within 1/2 mile of the residence?

View attachment 431919
View attachment 431920

edit: typo and added distance
ETA IMO
I must have mixed up the warrants, but when I posted that originally, my thought was that when LE says BK was utilising the same cellular resource as the King Rd house, I strongly believe they have a much closer range with the phone pings than what many people seem to think they are capable of. Jmo. The geofence warrant proves they can narrow down to a half mile, at the very least.

Then we have the SG statement about BK's phone "touching" their wifi/bluetooth. Imo, this all hints to LE pinpointing his location on those 12 previous times to close to the King Rd house and not just any random place in Moscow within the entire tower range. He was in the area for almost an hour on the night he was pulled over, which happened right after he moved from one cellular resource to another, my guess is from one sector to another. What was he doing near the King Rd house for an hour? After what happened in that house, I'm not buying that he was shopping, getting tutored, visiting a girl, etc... all late night or early morning hours.

Cellular pings are significant evidence, from cases I've seen go to court. Imo, he was stalking that house.

I wasn't just talking about DNA. I was talking about all evidence.
Your post made me recall the handprint on the slider and the swab taken from the kitchen window. MOO

JMO

D objection to protection order:

There is no explanation for the total lack of DNA evidence from the victims in Mr. Kohberger’s apartment, office, home, or vehicle.

The level of clean up to remove dna would have been detectable. I doubt a quick swish w a cloth or a vacuum would do it and anything done would show in the bloody scene .

The killer was highly protected I’m sure .
Neither , hair nor fingerprints nor other dna were found apart from the sheath
Agree, forensics would have detected a clean up and the timeline is too tight.MOO

There are multiple search warrants that are sealed completely. The 1122 King Road search warrant is sealed. We do not know everything LE found in the house. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper