4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #85

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. If it was done, it wasn't because BK hacked in.

One doesn't need to hack into DD to send DD to someone else. You can send people food (deliver to an address other than your own). I've done it many times to treat my adult children to a nice meal on special occasions.

I have no clue or even a vague theory about why Kohberger would do this, unless of course, he has bizarre fantasies about what he's doing. Maybe he seems himself as a kind of Avenger, whose killings are somehow Just and that the victims are to have a last meal (but it's plainly addressed to Xana, as we saw in the crime scene photos). If he was mainly trying to kill Xana, why did he go upstairs? Maybe we all have the timeline wrong, but with DM seeing someone leave the house from the direction of Xana's room, it seems really unlikely.

Another reason Kohberger could have done this (remembering he would have needed to use his phone) is to get another car on video but that seems really odd and, well, stupid to me.

And he would have had to do it about 30-40 minutes before 4 am, judging by the Jack In the Box delivery times on DD. Maybe a bit more. When did Kohberger turn off his phone? Can't remember now.

IMO.
His phone went off or into airplane mode at 2:47am in Pullman and came back on at 4:48am near Blaine, ID.

Illegally Intercepted Elec. Communications?
At first I believed this story...published on May 28, 2023,
There are only 20 Criminology PhD students at WSU....
And 13 Criminology Master's students at WSU....
Eliminate the males and it would be easy for LE to find out which female student made this claim.

I thought that LE would surely investigate and charge BK with whatever they discovered that he did to the security camera system he set up in her apartment...

snipped for focus @Bathazar Interesting. BTW, thx for including links & sources.

I did not watch that Dateline episode. Did it explicitly state that the woman was WSU Crim'y student? Or a WSU student? Was she interviewed for the show? On camera?

No time ATM to watch whole show. What min. marker or part of the show? If anyone knows, TiA

[ETA: Like you said, wouldn't conviction on that offense have been "something" before BK's trial on murder charges?
Tho not admissible until penalty phase of murder trial,IIUC.]

Last edited:

There are only 20 Criminology PhD students at WSU. Doctor of Philosophy in Criminal Justice and Criminology | The Graduate School | Washington State University
And 13 Criminology Master's students at WSU. Master of Arts in Criminal Justice and Criminology | The Graduate School | Washington State University
Eliminate the males and it would be easy for LE to find out which female student made this claim.

I thought that LE would surely investigate and charge BK with whatever they discovered that he did to the security camera system he set up in her apartment.

In Idaho:
"Illegally recording, intercepting or disclosing oral, wire or electronic communications is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison and as much as $5,000 in fines. Idaho Code Ann. § 18-6702. Violation of the state's video voyeurism laws carry penalties of up to five years' imprisonment and $50,000 in fines."

So basically, if LE found anything to prove the woman's allegations, LE should have charged BK with what he allegedly did and, if convicted on those charges, in his murder trial he would face the jury as a convicted felon.

But that hasn't happened so far.
Interesting. I interpret this completely differently. I wouldn’t think that LE would waste limited time and resources pursuing an illegal recording charge when they are preparing to go to trial for a quadruple homicide. Especially since BK is still pursuing his right to a speedy trial. I honestly can’t think of a single reason why LE would do that. They probably wouldn’t even be able to bring up previous convictions.

Yep. Your phone is constantly polling for available WIFI connections that are broadcasting. These WIFI networks are identified by their SSID. Not all WIFI networks broadcast their SSID but most do. I have 1 of mine turned off and a guest one turned on.

When the phone sees a broadcasting SSID it sends a little data packet (mac address, maybe phone name) as a hello to it to see if it gets something back and if it's truly available. This happens even if no attempt is made to connect. This is the same 'Ping' concept that you hear about on cellular networks. Ping and latency (the amount of time it takes your PING to reach the source and to return to you) tells you all sorts of cool things about someone and how far they are or in what general area they are in. Wifi, Bluetooth, Cellular, pretty much any radio wave.

Wifi polling used to be a very battery intensive feature so it was always advised to turn your WIFI off when not in use. And before WIFI became super common on airliners the default Airplane Mode behavior was for WIFI to turn off. But that's no longer the case with the evolution of the Airline industry AND WIFI technology. So now your phone is constantly listening for networks it might recognize so it can auto connect. As I mentioned before some retailers use this to track movement inside of their stores. Apple is randomizing WIFI mac addresses to try and prevent this.

Thank goodness BK didn't have an iPhone.

You can pretty much exchange the words WIFI for Bluetooth and most of the info above will remain true.

Edit: Make no mistake about it..the retailers that are using WIFI for this purpose are exploiting it and acting nefariously. Hence Apple's work in this field to randomize and anonymize their phone users. They are also doing this with Bluetooth. It's a cat and mouse game. I've read some scientific white papers where researchers were able to fingerprint and identify a phone merely by the unique electrical signals they were emitting. Which is inherent in minute otherwise imperceptible manufacturing differences. How do you beat that?
Great stuff, thanks @schooling!

There's a new to me interloping offer from software minders to always go for a private VPN (virtual private network) when using wifi.

I assume it's a good way to go, grabbing a VPN whenever on wifi, but I haven't been comforrable going for it.

Maybe I'm a control freak?

What do you think?

TIA

Interesting. I interpret this completely differently. I wouldn’t think that LE would waste limited time and resources pursuing an illegal recording charge when they are preparing to go to trial for a quadruple homicide. Especially since BK is still pursuing his right to a speedy trial. I honestly can’t think of a single reason why LE would do that. They probably wouldn’t even be able to bring up previous convictions.
MOO if the Idahoan whose rights and privacy were violated did not make a complaint to the police, they might not pursue. Perhaps they have talked to her.

Last edited:
It's a message forum. You share an idea then the idea might get push back. It's nothing personal or against you. So if I'm one of those folks, my apologies.

The only time I jump on this theory is when people try to attribute magical hacking abilities to BK and DoorDash. When the theories shared go against everything about how zero day exploits work. Who the biggest players in it are. How much they go for on the blackmarket. How security research works. Or how DoorDash's technology would not even be capable to provide a backdoor to do what some people imply BK did. Or how a breach like this would be treated inside of a software company. And how it would be impossible to hide, particularly since DD is a publicly traded company with a responsibility to shareholders.. even with the gag order in place that all still stands true.

It's just a fundamental misunderstanding of how technology works, how software companies work, how software is built, the checks and balances in place, the tools available to internal folks etc. And no matter how many times I share...people totally ignore it and inevitably attribute magical hacking abilities to BK.

Is there something nefarious with the DD timing? Maybe. But IMO it has nothing to do with hacking of any sort.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

LOL I agree, I doubt there was some kind of hacking of DD too.

I did wonder for a while if BK had made the order to that address but I think it's been confirmed X made it herself. Anyway, something odd I can't quite get there with, just a hunch I suppose which has no basis.

There are only 20 Criminology PhD students at WSU. Doctor of Philosophy in Criminal Justice and Criminology | The Graduate School | Washington State University
And 13 Criminology Master's students at WSU. Master of Arts in Criminal Justice and Criminology | The Graduate School | Washington State University

I thought that LE would surely investigate and charge BK with whatever they discovered that he did to the security camera system he set up in her apartment.

In Idaho:
"Illegally recording, intercepting or disclosing oral, wire or electronic communications is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison and as much as $5,000 in fines. Idaho Code Ann. § 18-6702. Violation of the state's video voyeurism laws carry penalties of up to five years' imprisonment and $50,000 in fines."

So basically, if LE found anything to prove the woman's allegations, LE should have charged BK with what he allegedly did and, if convicted on those charges, in his murder trial he would face the jury as a convicted felon.

But that hasn't happened so far.
IANAL, but since Pullman is in Washington, wouldn’t the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) apply rather than Idaho Code?

The streaks in the kitchen are not blood. The proof of this is in photos on FNd which we are not allowed to link here, but there are photos that show the kitchen BEFORE CSI moved things around to dust the cabinets - the table is still clear (except for a stack of red plastic cups), yet there is evidence tape on the window and there were no "blood" streaks on the cabinet by the refrigerator.

KG's bedroom was above the kitchen - that is where Murphy was found unharmed. No one was killed in that room. If blood had seeped downstairs from MM's room, it would have seeped into DM's room, not the kitchen. MM's room was separated from KG's room by the staircase and MM's room was directly over DM's room. The blood on the outside is from XK's room.
So we agree?

Great stuff, thanks @schooling!

There's a new to me interloping offer from software minders to always go for a private VPN (virtual private network) when using wifi.

I assume it's a good way to go, grabbing a VPN whenever on wifi, but I haven't been comforrable going for it.

Maybe I'm a control freak?

What do you think?

TIA
Private VPN is good in 99% of cases. But the really weird thing about Personal OpSec (operation security) is that the more you do to protect yourself the more identifiable and easier to track you ultimately are. And that's because the somewhat unique combination of privacy tools you decide to use start's to help form an even more unique profile of you. Think about it like wearing sunglasses to disguise your face and stay low key and then deciding that you're going to wear a hat and a trench coat too.

LOL I agree, I doubt there was some kind of hacking of DD too.

I did wonder for a while if BK had made the order to that address but I think it's been confirmed X made it herself. Anyway, something odd I can't quite get there with, just a hunch I suppose which has no basis.
MOO maybe you feel this way because the DD order seems unusual, while I think its just standard that many post party evening out students would order throughout the early morning hours.

The find they have no food they want in the house, hungry so DD.

Last edited:
MOO maybe you feel this way because the DD order seems unusual, while I think its just standard that many post party evening out student would order throughout the early morning hours.

The find they have no food they want in the house, hungry so DD.
I think it is simple like you say, munchies start up and you order food.

I would have to check the time but I think DoorDash surprised him and this could be why he was seen driving by the house 3 times. He was waiting for the "coast to be clear."

I don't think he would think ahead of time that DoorDash is going to show up at 4:00am. I think he chose 4:00am because he thought there would be no coming and going to the house that late.

Hacking into DoorDash (as has been previously mentioned) makes no sense, drivers use their own phones and BK wouldn't know a resident would order food at 4:00am.

2 cents

I was listening to the most recent episode of Your Own Backyard (Kristin Smart murder podcast), and apparently (I want to say Los Angeles?) isn’t bothering to bring charges against convicted murderer Paul Flores for his other videotaped rapes and CSAM. Even though that might help guarantee that he never gets parole.

Extreme example but this topic made me think of it.

Today while reorganizing my closet I noticed the bottom of one of the pairs of my runnings shoes. A pair of New Balance 990s. The upper part of the sole has a distinct diamond pattern.

I've now seen 2 or 3 pictures of BK pre murder. In each one he's wearing a pair of New Balance.

I'd have to imagine that LE knows by now the actual model of sneaker the killer (BK) likely wore. Even if they don't have the physical sneaker. But just thought I'd share t'his interesting observation.

Illegally Intercepted Elec. Communications?

snipped for focus @Bathazar Interesting. BTW, thx for including links & sources.

I did not watch that Dateline episode. Did it explicitly state that the woman was WSU Crim'y student? Or a WSU student? Was she interviewed for the show? On camera?

No time ATM to watch whole show. What min. marker or part of the show? If anyone knows, TiA

[ETA: Like you said, wouldn't conviction on that offense have been "something" before BK's trial on murder charges?
Tho not admissible until penalty phase of murder trial,IIUC.]

It didn't reveal who she was but the PhD candidates who are TA's share the same office and she was described as a co-worker or colleague. She lived one building over from Kohberger's apartment - same complex. I can't remember how I found that out (probably Dateline), so, JMO.

It's not an unusual prosecution strategy. In the Casey Anthony Case, she was charged with and convicted of check fraud in the months leading up to her murder trial: Casey Anthony found guilty of several check fraud charges

I believe previous convictions can be brought up at the sentencing hearing. In the case of BK, should LE get evidence that BK really did what this co-worker claims, then trying him for that case and getting a felony conviction could be used in the sentencing part of the murder trial to show the jury that he has done these sorts of things in the past (spying on women) and the behavior escalated to the point of murder. This is why investigators were trying to figure out if BK had been involved in any similar crimes in Pennsylvania. But it seems they have come up empty so far.

All IMOO.

BK. "Helping" Co-Worker/Colleague. But Illegally Intercepted Elec. Communications?
It didn't reveal who she was but the PhD candidates who are TA's share the same office and she was described as a co-worker or colleague. She lived one building over from Kohberger's apartment - same complex. I can't remember how I found that out (probably Dateline), so, JMO.

@Balthazar Thx for your response. Makes sense now.

Last edited:
s-l1200.jpg

Of course. We agree on most things.

BTW, the latent print was a Vans shoe print. Those shoes have a comparatively flat sole and a diamond pattern that is specific to Vans.
The PCA says 'Vans-style" or something like that, I believe. Mine look sort of like the picture above (those do not belong to me). But the diamonds on my 990s are not that detailed and a lot less complex (flat diamonds, no diamond within a diamond pattern grooved pattern). When I get back upstairs I'll try and take a picture or two.

Also, I'm aware that Van's are known for their sole's that are completely made up of diamond patterns.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member