4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #85

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was being sarcastic.
I was referring to all his devices not the imaginary spy camera on full charge..
A person who is not technically sophisticated will leave a trail, search histories and the like and use their own phones, pc's logged to their own addresses.
I very much doubt he left such a trail on any devices because he would have known how to clean it .
Burner phones and the like, now gone like the murder weapon.

Have you been following the LISK arrest—looks like burner phones aren’t as safe as advertised!

I know he purchased a new phone before moving to Pullman. Does anyone know the date for that? I’m wondering how the alleged burner phone lines up with that?
June 2022 per the PCA (Brett Payne's statement):

"On December 23, 2022 pursuant to that search warrant, I received historical records for the 8458 Phone from AT&T from the time the account was opened in June 2022."

I know a fair amount about consumer electronics, but nothing about hunting electronics. But in order for him to access the camera “live”, the camera would have to have either wifi (connected to … some very very close wifi) or a cellular connection ($) onboard.

Now that I type it out, I’m sure such a device exists, but I guess I assumed that deer cams etc just had local storage that people check the next time they’re there.
There are wifi enabled trail/game cameras. It would have to be near enough to a router to connect, or it would be a pointless bell/whistle. Some of them even have an app that allows you to look at your pictures from another location, which is very creepy but convenient for stalkers. Of course, in a residential area, he could also have just installed his own wireless security camera and watched the feed over their internet. That makes me nauseous.

There are wifi enabled trail/game cameras. It would have to be near enough to a router to connect, or it would be a pointless bell/whistle. Some of them even have an app that allows you to look at your pictures from another location, which is very creepy but convenient for stalkers. Of course, in a residential area, he could also have just installed his own wireless security camera and watched the feed over their internet. That makes me nauseous.
Wild Game cameras are really cheap and camouflaged. You put them in trees to watch deer etc on your property from an app on your smartphone.

I don’t see why the killer would do that when he could simply watch them via their TVs, cellphones and computers and any other devices they had. JMO.
Do we have any evidence that BK knows how to do that? I know we've heard rumor that he installed a security camera for a neighbor and used her own password to spy on her. That's pretty darned nervy, but a lot of people could probably do that with her password. It takes a different level of skill to access and use people's own tv's, cell phones and computers to watch them. MOOooo

We've all heard the rumors that KG thought she had a stalker. I don't know for sure where that stems from, but I'm thinking SG maybe said it? And AT said there's nothing connecting BK to the victims (I know this could be word play).

I mean, thinking where the defense might try to go from here, if there was an account(s) communicating with KG (or any of the victims) via SM, that can't be traced back to a real person, or burner phone numbers that can't be traced back to the buyer, and the elantra plate can't be identified in any of the footage, and BK's phone can't be placed in the area on the night of the crime, and there is unidentified male DNA at the CS, then his defense team would definitely try to get the sheath DNA evidence suppressed, imo, because that is the only evidence that we know of that directly links him to being in the house that night. Of course, there could be a lot of evidence we don't know about, as well...

Last edited:
Seems AT&T furnished (some portion of?) the subject data on April 12; that same day, Jennings requested an extension to receive and prepare and inventory; extension granted to May 4 on April 13. Also on April 13, Mowery issued affidavit that the responding data had been received and Inventoried and stored at the MPD; and also Jennings requested order that the warrant and respondent data be sealed. That lady is quick! Order to seal on April 18 effective through June 1.
I don't think there is anything nefarious in that it sounds like checks crossing in the mail...MOO

Given the various non disclosure orders: Would any of the above indicate that there is another round of data already collected and that a similar warrant for the later interval has already been issued and inventoried?

Can't help but wonder....

ETA: C & P at top was deleted
SBM

Got curious so checked through this warrant:
I do not see an ammended warrant so I do not think they extended it to include more information.
IMO you are right about cross checking.

Warrant was signed 3/30
Served 4/3 they have 14 days to return to judge.
Filed motion for extension on April 12 b/c they hadn't received the information yet.
Judge ordered an extension at 10AM 13th
Warrant was returned on 4/13 and it looks like delivered to the Judge by an officer at 3:00.
Order to Seal 4/13
Order to return property 4/18 by officer to MPD.

I am thinking LE didn't realize they had the extension so delivered it to the judge that day? JMO

Edit: Added SBM

I don’t see why the killer would do that when he could simply watch them via their TVs, cellphones and computers and any other devices they had. JMO.
External views which wouldn't necessarily show on those devices - comings and goings, vehicles which may be used by specific people. There was a comment up-thread re unlikelihood of an external camera, as it could be discovered after murders and linked back to the killer. All he would need to do is shoot it from a secreted spot (may or may not have needed a scope and/or silencer.) We know there was a Glock found at his parents' home when he was there. I wonder if he had it with him when living in Pullman.

If he did this on say the early-ish morning of the following day (Sunday) after the killings, many of the residents in the vicinity wouldn't be up and about yet, and may not hear the sound of this occurring, or If they did, wouldn't realise what it was/where it had come from. This may account for surveillance/ring cameras showing his vehicle being back at the location early the following day. (Wonder if LE, or anyone else found the smashed-to-smithereens remains of a (by then untraceable) deercam in the vicinity.) IMO MOO

SBM

Got curious so checked through this warrant:
I do not see an ammended warrant so I do not think they extended it to include more information.
IMO you are right about cross checking.

Warrant was signed 3/30
Served 4/3 they have 14 days to return to judge.
Filed motion for extension on April 12 b/c they hadn't received the information yet.
Judge ordered an extension at 10AM 13th
Warrant was returned on 4/13 and it looks like delivered to the Judge by an officer at 3:00.
Order to Seal 4/13
Order to return property 4/18 by officer to MPD.

I am thinking LE didn't realize they had the extension so delivered it to the judge that day? JMO

Edit: Added SBM
Agreed, the 4/12 and 4/13 steps seem to represent a big effort by Mowery and Jennings caused by Mowery receiving data by E-Mail sometime 4/12 but the data had to be cataloged (their term) so a somewhat different package went to evidence at MPD 4/13 and more or less same time to the Judge. So 10:00 4/13 cataloging and data booking not complete and 3:00 PM was in the hands of the judge; request to seal same day. Lots of traffic on 4/13.

I could also be related to the returns from other warrants, like Google. I believe @jepop has mentioned something along these lines. Was something found in the return from another warrant that indicated the need to look at these specific numbers during those specific dates? IDK.

OK, the returns from a prior warrant could certainly lead to the burner phone numbers... BUT: Did LE know those AT & T numbers were no longer used after 8/1/22 thus the end constraint on the AT&T warrant? And if so: Has LE established there was no use of burners by BK in the interval 8/1/22 to 11/13/22 or is there an additional source of data out there? Is there a corresponding warrant and return that remains under seal at this time? If other burner numbers were discovered I got to believe LE would be all over them as well.
JMO and with all respect.

Agreed, the 4/12 and 4/13 steps seem to represent a big effort by Mowery and Jennings caused by Mowery receiving data by E-Mail sometime 4/12 but the data had to be cataloged (their term) so a somewhat different package went to evidence at MPD 4/13 and more or less same time to the Judge. So 10:00 4/13 cataloging and data booking not complete and 3:00 PM was in the hands of the judge; request to seal same day. Lots of traffic on 4/13.

OK, the returns from a prior warrant could certainly lead to the burner phone numbers... BUT: Did LE know those AT & T numbers were no longer used after 8/1/22 thus the end constraint on the AT&T warrant? And if so: Has LE established there was no use of burners by BK in the interval 8/1/22 to 11/13/22 or is there an additional source of data out there? Is there a corresponding warrant and return that remains under seal at this time? If other burner numbers were discovered I got to believe LE would be all over them as well.
I would also like to know all of this. We don't know for certain those are burner phones, either. I think you're right that there is a lot of information still sealed. We really don't know what is of interest to the case at this point.

Very helpful. Just wonder why we don’t see the car of the door dash driver??

Do you mean why didn’t they include it in the top-down view? If so, that was a simulation and I don’t think the creator had much info available on the DD car.

If you mean the video from the parking lot cam (the headlight flashes), not sure there would be any reason for the DD driver to go that route.

I think BKs technical abilities are being vastly over estimated. MOO of course
ITA! The rate of innovation in technology areas like IoT (internet of things - where there is a huge network of physical objects built with various sensors and tracking devices) is fast and it’s complex. This is the type of advanced technology that LE can potentially tap into for high profile crimes.

To think that BK has some superior understanding and eternally evolving education in this area due to either his undetgrad degree in criminal justice at DeSalles or some sort of home study over the internet is pretty far fetched IMO. A few college courses really don’t cut it IMO.

And to me, this:
“assist rural law enforcement agencies with how to better collect and analyze technological data in public safety operations,”
from his LE internship application is a pretty clear attempt to get information on LE capabilities IMO. So he himself isn’t confident in his knowledge. JMO.

I would also like to know all of this. We don't know for certain those are burner phones, either. I think you're right that there is a lot of information still sealed. We really don't know what is of interest to the case at this point.

There were multiple warrants for numbers with unknown users. I added the Geofence warrants for dating. MOO

Geofence Warrants:

Verizon Geofence Nov 16 (served 17, returned 17) seal reasons: Intimate/Investigative technique Scope 3-5AM
ATT Geofence Nov 16 (served 17, returned 17) seal reasons: Intimate/Investigative Scope 3-5AM

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR29-22-2805/030723 Order to Seal Redact - Verizon Wireless 1.pdf
https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR29-22-2805/022823 Order to Seal and Redact - ATT.pdf

Unknown Users:

Verizon 3 Unknown users Nov 16 (served 17, returned 17) sealed for: Intimate/Safety/Privacy Scope: Aug1-Nov16
T Mobile 2 Unknown users Nov 16 (served 17, returned 18) sealed for: Intimate/Safety/Privacy Scope: Aug1-Nov16

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR29-22-2805/030723 Order to Seal Redact - Verizon Wireless.pdf
https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR29-22-2805/030723 Order to Seal Redact - T-Mobile.pdf

Geofence Warrant:

T Mobile Nov 26 (served 26, returned 28) sealed for: Intimate/Investigative technique Scope 3-5AM

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR29-22-2805/030723 Order to Seal Redact - T-Mobile 1.pdf

Unknown Users:

ATT 2 unknown users March 30 (served 4/3, returned 4/12/13) sealed for: Intimate/Safety/Invest/fair trial
scope: June 23-Aug1

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR29-22-2805/053123 Order to Seal Redact - ATT.pdf

IMO interesting when looking at the dates of the five early unknown user warrants in relation to the geofence warrant dates. Interesting that there are two numbers in this last warrant. JMO

Two Early Completely Sealed
Verizon wireless (Dec 2 seal for int facts/invest tech)
ATT warrant (1/7, seal for intimate facts/invest techniques)

Edit: spelling

Very helpful. Just wonder why we don’t see the car of the door dash driver??
MOO DD driver did not make loop around the Queen Apartments but just drove straight to the north facing front door with its parking area on King Rd.

MOO DD not included by GH because police said approximately 4am. No route provided.

GH does note that likely BK saw the DD at the end of his 3rd loop around the Queen Apartments, then pushed on for a 4th loop via Taylor+Walenta+.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members