4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #94

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AT has a tough case.

Deep down, she knows he did it. All she can do is question the heck out of all of the prosecution's evidence.. trying to get it thrown out if possible.

She is a Defense attorney and reportedly a good one.

She will try as much as she can to get a win with a poor hand she was dealt. The prosecution has a full house 3 K's and 2 Q's.. and she was dealt a 2,3,7 8 and 10. She is going to bluff, acuse the defense of malfeasance with every details possible.

But in the end, when the cards are laid down... her client will lose

AT has a tough case.

Deep down, she knows he did it. All she can do is question the heck out of all of the prosecution's evidence.. trying to get it thrown out if possible.

She is a Defense attorney and reportedly a good one.

She will try as much as she can to get a win with a poor hand she was dealt. The prosecution has a full house 3 K's and 2 Q's.. and she was dealt a 2,3,7 8 and 10. She is going to bluff, acuse the defense of malfeasance with every details possible.

But in the end, when the cards are laid down... her client will lose
I understand our system of justice- every defendant deserves a defense, but doesn't it bother you that, let's say the attorney knows her client is guilty (as do many defense attorneys know their clients are guilty), and yet they try to get their guilty client acquitted! isn't this sort of twisted justice?

I understand our system of justice- every defendant deserves a defense, but doesn't it bother you that, let's say the attorney knows her client is guilty (as do many defense attorneys know their clients are guilty), and yet they try to get their guilty client acquitted! isn't this sort of twisted justice?
That's a common, and thought-provoking concern. And I've known cases where I felt the same way--how could the defense actually defend the perp?

But, then I have to remember it's our fundamental principle that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and the defense is tasked with holding the prosecution to a strong burden of proof.

If defense attorneys did not vigorously defend their clients, it could lead to a system where the accused might be unjustly convicted.

Like you, at times, I find it challenging to accept, but in the end, I think the system helps prevent wrongful convictions. I've often wondered if defense attorneys find it hard to defend some clients.

RSBM. There’s definitely something unusual about BK’s phone data. It’s possible that his phone was left far from the victims' house or that he was messing with the GPS and settings. BK's defence team has phone records showing his GPS location as somewhere else. While this doesn’t necessarily mean those readings are accurate or truthful, they are technical enough to be used in court. Hopefully, the case will require more solid evidence proving that BK was physically present at the stated locations, not just relying on these phone readings.
Yeah, I tend to think BK's DNA on the knife sheath will do that.

jmo

The defense cross-examines the prosecution witnesses and may or may not call their own witnesses or only call a couple witnesses.

Prosecutors need to prove their case, while the defense only has to show there’s reasonable doubt their client committed a crime. And defense lawyers don’t necessarily need to call different witnesses to knock holes in a prosecutor’s case.

The burden is on the prosecution, and it’s a high burden.

2 Cents
I agree, but I believe the State has the evidence. AT is just doing her job and making as much noise as possible.

JMO

NewsNation/May 2023: "According to Dateline, Kohberger reportedly bought a KA-BAR knife and sheath in April 2022 from Amazon before he moved to Pullman, Washington, to attend university."

From CourtTv/Sept 2023: "Investigators served one of the search warrants to Amazon on May 10, and said there was reason to believe that activity on the site from March 20-30, 2022 and Nov. 1-Dec. 6, 2022, may hold clues to the murders. The warrant specified 'all detailed customer click activity pertaining to knives and accessories'..."

I still find this point a little "iffy" and wish I could find it more widely confirmed. They were reporting this back in May 2023 shortly after the warrant to Amazon was served. Does anyone know if this is an absolute definite on this Amazon purchase of the knife?
No, it was suggested on the Dateline special from 'sources', but with the gag order in place I don't think any official 'evidence' or results of the subpoenas has been released.

JMO

Yes, It does bothers me a little to some extent. But defense attorney's do not really ask their clients directly if they are guilty or not.... just ask specific enough general questions about alibis etc in order to get info for lines of defense.

And what if their client is lying to them and are really innocent? I guess the lawyer can say to themselves that is is really up to to court to prove guilt regardless.

What he has seen so far, he said, appears to be "exculpatory" to Kohberger.

If this is true, it seems like it would be data placing him elsewhere so why was this not used for his alibi defense?
People in this line of work have years of experience being VERY careful in their choice of words. Very much like politicians, which is not intended to be complimentary, LOL. A lot of this is just theatre to them. They are creating an impression they want the public/potential jury pool to have. We shall eventually learn whether the impression is real or an illusion. IMOOooo

Yes, It does bothers me a little to some extent. But defense attorney's do not really ask their clients directly if they are guilty or not.... just ask specific enough general questions about alibis etc in order to get info for lines of defense.

And what if their client is lying to them and are really innocent? I guess the lawyer can say to themselves that is is really up to to court to prove guilt regardless.
They have a job to do and we must have Defense Attorneys in order for the Judicial Process to work.

AT is a dogged, determined professional trying to keep her client off Death Row. BK's entitled to a vigorous and competent defense. He is absolutely getting that here in spades.

I personally believe BK is guilty and will be found so, but I'm glad that AT seems to be limiting a lot of appellate issues with the bonus of making a name for herself. ;)

moo

I get it but it still bothers me: I am sure there are murderers out there because a case could not be proven, so the perp was turned back out to society----only to commit more crimes

I get it but it still bothers me: I am sure there are murderers out there because a case could not be proven, so the perp was turned back out to society----only to commit more crimes
Probably. But many people think Benjamin Franklin got it right. I know I do. He said "It is better a hundred guilty persons should escape than one innocent person should suffer." And we certainly know innocent people HAVE been convicted. It's quite likely some have been put to death. Even if I didn't agree with Franklin, I'm not sure what possible alternative there could be if, as you say, "a case could not be proven." Send the person to prison anyway?
MOO

She is deliberately trying to lock him down into admitting that the evidence shows BK did not use Hwy 95 South of Moscow so then it will look like he is lying in front of the jury if he says something different.

2 Cents.
I didn't notice that before. Great observation.

That could very well be exactly what she was trying to do!

NewsNation/May 2023: "According to Dateline, Kohberger reportedly bought a KA-BAR knife and sheath in April 2022 from Amazon before he moved to Pullman, Washington, to attend university."

From CourtTv/Sept 2023: "Investigators served one of the search warrants to Amazon on May 10, and said there was reason to believe that activity on the site from March 20-30, 2022 and Nov. 1-Dec. 6, 2022, may hold clues to the murders. The warrant specified 'all detailed customer click activity pertaining to knives and accessories'..."

I still find this point a little "iffy" and wish I could find it more widely confirmed. They were reporting this back in May 2023 shortly after the warrant to Amazon was served. Does anyone know if this is an absolute definite on this Amazon purchase of the knife?
IMO, they served a warrant to Amazon to find out if BK had purchased a knife and sheath and when that returned nothing, they decided to see if he was looking at various knives on Amazon and maybe purchased the knife and sheath elsewhere. IMO, both Amazon searches came up empty.

In Idaho, hunting is so popular that they are ranked 5th for issuing the most hunting licenses in the US. The fact is, most hunters always carry a hunting knife. And the hunting knives are very much present among the population of Moscow and the UofI, which even has a backcountry hunter and angler club.

With the prevalence of hunting in the area, IMO it is more likely he would steal someone's knife as opposed to buying one.

All JMO.

IMO, they served a warrant to Amazon to find out if BK had purchased a knife and sheath and when that returned nothing, they decided to see if he was looking at various knives on Amazon and maybe purchased the knife and sheath elsewhere. IMO, both Amazon searches came up empty.

In Idaho, hunting is so popular that they are ranked 5th for issuing the most hunting licenses in the US. The fact is, most hunters always carry a hunting knife. And the hunting knives are very much present among the population of Moscow and the UofI, which even has a backcountry hunter and angler club.

With the prevalence of hunting in the area, IMO it is more likely he would steal someone's knife as opposed to buying one.

All JMO.
But if he stole someone's knife, then their DNA would have likely also been on the sheath, especially if it had been owned and used for some time.

MOO

I didn't notice that before. Great observation.

That could very well be exactly what she was trying to do!

Juries hate inconsistent stories, like a defendent gives LE 3 different stories. AT is smart to try to tie down LE to a specific detail then discredit them before the jury if they back track.

There will need to be clear maps, these roads are confusing.

This camera caught this car at this time, next the car is seen here....

Here is a photo of BK's car it didn't have a front license plate....Etc....

2 Cents

Absolutely @ilovewings . DNA years later and IGG have established that this is very true. :(
And also, I have read of several cases where the criminal was eventually identified decades later & had led a spotless life after even a committing a horrific crime.

Justice still must to be served, but the above serves to remind me that we are all so much more complex than the worst thing we may have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member