7.0 Earthquake Hits Haiti Hospital Collapses

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And that is exactly what we (American people) and many other generous countries/people are doing. It is so easy for people to sit back and criticize - that's not right, this isn't done fast enough, blah, blah, blah. How does that help? Maybe it's venting. I often do that myself. I applaud every person who is willing to provide aid in any way, shape or form, from any country, at any time and especially the ones who do it quietly without desiring anything in return. There are so many good people like that of which some lost their lives in the earthquake for just being in Haiti trying to lend a hand. I hope there is a special place in Heaven for them as is promised along with the little children.

Honestly, I don't get why so many people can't grasp what a huge undertaking it is to get systems in place over there, to do it safely so there are no needless casualties of the helpers, etc. You really should get your butts over there then and work your miracles - just say'n.
GREAT POST :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

There are many great people Thank God :) and then there are others too :(
Some need to validate their angst to feel justified, but they do grasp that is no easy task,
they just blah, blah, blah.
But like you said so many great people do things in a quite way because it is their heart that
feels rewarded. :)

3 p.m. Update: No new information available at this hour
By Lynn University on January 18, 2010 3:08 PM
Lynn University officials continue to receive reports regarding ongoing search and rescue activities today at the Hotel Montana (Port-au-Prince, Haiti). The university is also receiving regular updates concerning our search team's efforts in the Dominican Republic today. However, no additional details regarding the location or condition of our missing four (4) students and two (2) faculty have become available at this time.

Barring any breaking news, the next update to the alert site ( www.lynn.edu/alert ) will occur at 7 p.m. In the event of breaking news, Lynn will open a conference call line and host a public briefing if necessary. That information will be communicated via the university's media list.

And that is exactly what we (American people) and many other generous countries/people are doing. It is so easy for people to sit back and criticize - that's not right, this isn't done fast enough, blah, blah, blah. How does that help? Maybe it's venting. I often do that myself. I applaud every person who is willing to provide aid in any way, shape or form, from any country, at any time and especially the ones who do it quietly without desiring anything in return. There are so many good people like that of which some lost their lives in the earthquake for just being in Haiti trying to lend a hand. I hope there is a special place in Heaven for them as is promised along with the little children.

Honestly, I don't get why so many people can't grasp what a huge undertaking it is to get systems in place over there, to do it safely so there are no needless casualties of the helpers, etc. You really should get your butts over there then and work your miracles - just say'n.
If not for Americans the world would be a war zone. Americans help create a fair world for humanit. MOO.

3 p.m. Update: No new information available at this hour
by lynn university on january 18, 2010 3:08 pm
lynn university officials continue to receive reports regarding ongoing search and rescue activities today at the hotel montana (port-au-prince, haiti). The university is also receiving regular updates concerning our search team's efforts in the dominican republic today. However, no additional details regarding the location or condition of our missing four (4) students and two (2) faculty have become available at this time.

Barring any breaking news, the next update to the alert site ( www.lynn.edu/alert ) will occur at 7 p.m. In the event of breaking news, lynn will open a conference call line and host a public briefing if necessary. That information will be communicated via the university's media list.

:( :( :(

I do not know what the Israelis are commending but I do know that they were one of the very first to be there, and a plane full of medical and surgeons were sent by the weekend.
I can not even begin to imagine anyone getting to hog anything around anyplace that the Israeli force is stationed. NOP. they are still one of the best Army's in the world. I do know them well, they do not care if Haiti will appreciate the effort or not they are for saving the human spirit in the face of any disaster and they will go anywhere in the world anytime and they have. :) God Bless them.
God Bless everyone who is doing anything at all to help them. and god bless the poor Haitians may they survive this tragedy, and build only one level housing in the future, and come out stronger as time goes by.

Songline, the hogging and the Israeli subject are not connected (it has been explained numerous times on the news that if goods are not distributed in an orderly way, they do not get to all the people who need them). My point is that there are hundreds of roles that need filling in Haiti at this time. I commend the Israeli medical team and am grateful for their timely response. My question and point is - why does their good contribution have to be mentioned in the same breath pointing out what Americans are perceived to not be doing?

My communication skills must be way off due to the responses I'm getting - sorry.

Songline, the hogging and the Israeli subject are not connected (it has been explained numerous times on the news that if goods are not distributed in an orderly way, they do not get to all the people who need them). My point is that there are hundreds of roles that need filling in Haiti at this time. I commend the Israeli medical team and am grateful for their timely response. My question and point is - why does their good contribution have to be mentioned in the same breath pointing out what Americans are perceived to not be doing?

My communication skills must be way off due to the responses I'm getting - sorry.
Americans are doing all they can.
There will always be groups who will find fault with any group if not all the groups. :(
I mentioned them in that post because you did;
Originally Posted by Woe.be.gone
Everyone is frustrated. Israel has done a fantastic job. Are they also commanding the air field? Is their Army (82nd Airborne Div.) providing order and security in order to keep the supplies safe and to get them distributed in a manner so that the fittest don't hog all the goods leaving the weaker (women and children) without? <<Snip>>>

Things that are not getting to certain people are due to transport issues, and communication issues, not due to Americans at all. It is a real challenge. :(
Both communication and transportation are issues that they are ALL working on. The terrain is not an easy terrain to navigate. I hope they well get to everybody.
Hope you did not miss my post # 363. :)

If not for Americans the world would be a war zone. Americans help create a fair world for humanit. MOO.

I didn't miss it songline - just don't want to open another can of worms. :crazy: Thanks for answering.

About 100 flights a day are now landing, up from 60 last week, said the U.S. military spokesman in Haiti, Cmdr. Chris Lounderman. "The ramp was designed for 16 large aircraft," he said. "At times there were up to 40. That's why there was gridlock."
In addition, the U.S. military on Monday staged the first drop of supplies from a fixed aircraft. Flying nonstop from a base in North Carolina, a C-17 delivered 14,500 meals ready to eat and 15,000 liters of water to a drop zone five miles northeast of the Port-au-Prince airport.

I saw o Katie Courics report tonight that the airport is a real mess. Planes are given 2 hrs to unload so that they can keep getting other planes in. It sure seems like chaos.
They said that toothpaste is a huge commodity there, people put it uder their nose to keep the death stench out. :( There is a plane full f medics and supplies getting ready to leave from our area. :)

So....help from alot of places IS trying to get in, you can see from the article what the problems are. They said the Russian plane lied and said they were low on gas so they could go ahead and land. The Chinese plane held up a few because they had a photo op going on, total insanity!

??? I have been on many cruises, and live in south florida...been to Haiti once...only to Labadee...which is a small "private beach" owned by Royal Carribean...only a small number of Haitians are allowed in there to serve the guests, to set up chairs, sell crafts etc..
NO tours outside the "fence" were offered....no one ventured out of the lovely beach area just for the cruisers
it is good for them but just one small area

RCI is already going back to Labadee...it is 100 miles from Port au Prince and not near the earthquake/fault line

but that is about IT for tourists...the other cruise lines do not go there
They did NOT have a "wonderful tourist trade" ...they had ONE cruiseline that had a few ships per week come to ONE small fenced off beach

and no one really vacations there....they had one good hotel I think and it sadly is pancaked.. The Hotel Montana....so sad

a friend/aquaintence of of mine is missing there...he had just arrived from Lynn U with Food for the Poor....Dr Rich Bruno....please pray for a miracle for him

Very little tourism in Haiti....please show a link that says that other cruiselines went there (they didn't) or that many people vacationed there

I know...I live in South Florida and we have "specials" to every island, and can go to any of them pretty cheap and this is where many of the island airlines fly out of ....and no one goes to Haiti unless they were an art/crafts wholesaler or on a "mission" or with some relief agency...
these poor folks were so poor before...the poorest place in our hemisphere...and now it is just devastating

We have a lot of Haitians here, so many people who are looking for lost loved ones...and our kids from Lynn and Rich and the other professor missing
It really is so sad...I don't see how anyone can begrudge them whatever help we can give them, I just pray it is not too late....the misery must be unbearable there

This is so much worse than a hurricane...I have lived thru many of them..I am so happy we don't have earthquakes here
and I feel so bad for these people

I would like someone to show me "travel/tourism" info from Haiti before the earthquake...it just wasn't happening
I myself have been to Cap Haitian on a Royal Carribean cruise, the Dominican Republic too...

Hi...have you been to these islands?? NO one goes to Haiti (except for RCI's private beach day on some of their west carrib cruises)....the airports in the "better off" islands are rinky dink...ie, St Martin, St Thomas..and those are the good islands

I maintain that the best thing to do was to get the Americans out of there asap....for one thing, Haiti had no real sewage/water treatment to start with...it is such a dangerous country that those who venture there go with with a "guide" ...to translate and PROTECT

The "embassy" was in ruins....and vulnerable to a mob angry at USA...
the airport was little and rinky dink to start with...and is in a shambles..

I saw where you said..."get a phone and water" at the airport and let injured Haitians on the plane...well there are no working phones in Haiti right now....there would not necessarily be water at the airport..
and frankly the Americans there could be in grave danger

These are college kids, retired people doing good deeds like Rich...missonary workers...they are not able to fight off a mob...not to mention that cholera, disentary, etc are on the way with the amount of dead, decomposition, contaminated water

It might "feel good" to say "let them on first"...but that could be a disaster

I am all for helping Haiti....I am participating in a fundraiser, and have donated....I also know Haitians here and I see their frustration and their efforts to help their poor homeland

but it does NOT help Haiti to have US Citizens die needlessly there...our obligation is to get them out of there

otherwise NO one will ever go back there to work, volunteer, and no one will or should go on any of these missions

remember....there was NO "tourism" trade in Haiti..any one there was there on business, mostly misson/volunteer business

I hate to argue but I find that this is a place where people can confuse "feelings" with "facts"....ie, the idea that Haiti somehow "mismanaged" it's "tourist trade" ....

there was NO tourist trade (other than that one private beach)...NO one went there for "pleasure"....

As for the idea that Haitians who somehow are here legally could have brought over their relatives....our immigration policy has been against them (hence their anger at the Cubans)

anyone who lives down here has seen countless sad stories of Haitians trying to get here...on rafts, rowboats...dying in the attempt...washed up on beaches only to be shipped back (no "dry land" policy for them like we have for Cubans)...or being cut off by coast guard and shipped back to Haiti

Dom Republic is doing more surgery cause they have better roads...if they can get them out of Haiti and over there they can get to a hospital that are full to the brim it seems..

the problem is that the airport was small and not great to start with, it has damage...there are not many traffic controllers (? lost in the quake?)....it is a logistical nightmare

and yes...I am glad the students were taken to the Canadian embassy and given food and water...they were there to help the Haitians and should be out of there first IMHO

I have been to islands where they have armed guards keeping the tourists safe on the all inclusives (Jamaica) or at the ports (Belize etc)...and those are "tourist" spots....Haiti was NOT a tourist spot (and I am still waiting for anyone to back up the idea that it was)

Can you imagine if americans who "gave up their seat" are in the shattered airport when /if an angry crowd decides to go there to look for food?? Scary

the US needs armed troops, search and rescue people (guarded by armed troops) and tons of medical people (guarded by armed troops)

Hopefully they will be able to get more people to the hospital ship we sent..that will be a big help I hope

Please don't misquote me Logical. You didn't read anything in my posts about phones at the airport or anything about the tourist trade or immigration.

That wasn't my argument.

I'm entitled to my opinion and I stick by what I said. The medical relief could have been faster and people have died needlessly. I think in the days to come this will be more evident.
The embassy was not in ruins. If you read my post, I was speaking about the Canadian embassy. Not everything is about Americans you know.

I myself have been to Cap Haitian on a Royal Carribean cruise, the Dominican Republic too...

Yes...Cap Haitian IS Labadee ...the private beach where Royal Carribean visits a few times per week during winter season (when their ships are not in Europe or Alaska...then it is less)....I have also visited there

However...they employ about 200 Haitians...NO one else can enter, the beach is ONLY open for RCI cruisers when they are in port ..other than that it is empty

I have posted a about that private beach...that is the ONLY place cruisers come in...and they do not venture out of the area....there was NO tourism in Haiti and that is my point

I have more than "proved" that by links, facts and statistics

There are only 5 restaurants in the whole country listed on Trip advisor for instance...their forum is "void" of posts except for people on RCI cruises and some missionary/aid workers (who hire "guides" to translate and protect them)

Visiting Dom Republic is not Haiti...same island, different country.

are you aware that for some years RCI didn't even call Labadee "Haiti"?? Some cruisers have visited there and didn't even know they were in Haiti LOL

the past few years they list it is as Labadee Haiti...or Labadee Cap Haitian Haiti

however..it is a sanitized version of Haiti I do think...and 200 workers does NOT make a "tourism" industry

Haiti had virtually NO tourist industry...you can google it. Even Lonely Planet doesn't seem to be able to advise going there as a tourist. It was very dangerous....the water/electricity was bad / diseases rampant...people need shots and stuff to go there on a "mission". airport a mess, no regular buses,

Lina earlier you said and I quote : "Ummm, they Did have a wonderful Tourist Trade from Cruise ships alone, let alone the people that fly to Haiti as a vacation destination. Cap Haitian and Port- Au-Prince are frequent ports of call for many cruise ships...

Sorry but I don't think you can back that up....200 people on one small beach is NOT a "wonderful Tourist trade"....NO cruise ships ever called at Port au Prince....and to say "all the people that fly to Haiti as a vacation destination".. I am sorry...but hardly anyone went there as a "vacation destination"....our govt had travel warnings...people had to hire guard/guides....there were only a few hotels...the "best"...Hotel Montana...had 143 rooms

that is NOT a tourist industry and it was not "wonderful"..it was sad and it is sadder now

again...Cap Haitian is "Labadee".....it gets a few RCI cruise ships per week in winter, less in summer

Port au Prince never had cruise ships

I am willing to look at any link or proof that anyone can post to show me that Haiti had a "tourist" industry beyond the lucky few who work at Labadee...and most of them probably support a ton of relatives JMO

Visiting Dom Republic is not Haiti...same island, different country.
I am well aware that they are two different countries that share the same island. Both are poor, both rely on tourism and cruise ships. It was that way even back when I was there. The tourists bought many wooden items that the natives made and clothing that was made by the natives- these people were NOT RCI staff! I still own a couple of things we purchased when we were there- Haiti. My parents still have a big wooden statue they had shipped back home. People go there for the beauty of the area (not because they want to ignore the poverty) and the warm water of the Dominican Republic's beaches. I still remember how wonderful it was!

Woe: I don't think I am venting. It is my honest opinion and it is my own frustration.
Just because there is criticism does not mean someone is sitting on their butt just putting down every person over there helping.

I donated the first day. I am not a surgeon or a doctor or an engineer.
My particular skill set is not one that is required at this time but I am told may be in the very near future and I am ready to go if needed. However, that doesn't mean I will not be crticizing the situation. Should we just have sat back and shut up and been grateful for what we got in Katrina? No.

I applaud everyone's efforts but we have to learn from our mistakes in each disaster, people are dying for no good reason. Why is it ok for journalists to be analyzing the medical relief effort and being critical but a WS poster gets blasted for it? Are you watching the news, it is being reported by doctors who are there helping and they are expressing the same frustrations, but that's ok because they're there?

This board is for opinions, you don't always have to agree but we should respect each other's opinions.

I am well aware that they are two different countries that share the same island. Both are poor, both rely on tourism and cruise ships. It was that way even back when I was there. The tourists bought many wooden items that the natives made and clothing that was made by the natives- these people were NOT RCI staff! I still own a couple of things we purchased when we were there- Haiti. My parents still have a big wooden statue they had shipped back home. People go there for the beauty of the area (not because they want to ignore the poverty) and the warm water of the Dominican Republic's beaches. I still remember how wonderful it was!

<sigh>

Neither "rely" on cruise ships as very few visit Dom Rep.. mostly Costa..
Carnival will soon have one ship calling 1x a week for a few months in Dom Republic

Dom Republic has built it's tourism around all inclusives (there are NONE in Haiti)....it has some that cater to US ...some that cater to Europeans and many that cater to Hispanics....lots and lots of Miami spanish speaking people, Cubans etc go to Dom Republic...they have resorts with salsa, their food etc, beautiful resorts

Yes it is all wonderful...all the islands are wonderful...but facts are facts

of all the islands Haiti was the "low man on the totem pole"...the poorest place in the western Hemisphere...racked by years of corrupt leaders, civil strife...UN troops....huricanes and storms....a storm that would maybe flood our patios will devastate Haiti and they had 4 last year alone

they have highest rate of infant mortality....no sanitation to speak of...
rich people rely on generators (as does Labadee FYI)

I feel like I have more than posted facts and proof...if YOU feel that one little beach with 200 workers who come there a few times a week in winter is a "thriving tourist industry" then so be it...I am sorry but I don't

the entire "tourism" industry of Haiti is that ONE beach...the lucky 200 people who made those little wooden carvings and braid your hair and get tips to carry your chairs

RCI brings its own staff on the island to serve the drinks and the bar-B-que

they have 200 Haitians who work there...the lucky ones...who get paid tips and get paid for their "crafts" and stuff..these people are highly "vetted"
by RCI...most speak some english...they are "trustworthy"...they have no criminal record...they are fingerprinted, and wear little photo badges...they are the only ones allowed on the beach

the Domincan republic's tourism and economy is not related to Haiti's lack of tourism

Please don't misquote me Logical. You didn't read anything in my posts about phones at the airport or anything about the tourist trade or immigration.

That wasn't my argument.

I'm entitled to my opinion and I stick by what I said. The medical relief could have been faster and people have died needlessly. I think in the days to come this will be more evident.
The embassy was not in ruins. If you read my post, I was speaking about the Canadian embassy. Not everything is about Americans you know.

YOu did say that you would prefer your child "sit at the airport" ...the airport is a shambles...right now they have 100 planes going in and out, US air controllers *military...running it

it would be impossible and dangerous for US students/etc to sit there...

you also said that the planes going in there should have had relief supplies in them...but they did

every country got their people out of there....not just the US...have you seen the pics of us citizens on the military plane?? some had to fly in them to get back

the country of Haiti is devastated....and that is a fact, NOT an opinion I am not a doctor, nurse or anything..the best thing for someone like me, the students, probably you, was to get out....just being there might cause unhappy people to storm the airport or something...and they would also be in the way

I respect "opinions" that are opinions...but some things are just facts

Again...have you been to the islands?? they all have rinky dink airports...I have not been to Haitis but I have spoken with friends who went there (for humanitarian reasons NOT tourists)...and it was awful to begin with

I can only imagine it is a real mess now and so busy
the right call...and the only call..was to get the Americans (and other non haitians) out of there and home to their own countries

they are on the verge of a massive health problem...it was vital to get our people out of there before the health problem..and possible civil unrest...start

and yes....just being "Americans" they might have been in danger sitting in an ruined airport...

the real problem now will be the diseases in a country that is so poor and vulnerable>>>

With basic health care and sanitation all but destroyed, and millions of survivors likely left homeless, unchecked infectious disease and contamination will pose a threat to survivors. "In the weeks to come, we may have huge issues with public health," says Pino Annunziata, who is coordinating the emergency response for the World Health Organization in Geneva. "This will be a major concern."

It doesn't help that even on its best day, Haiti is a public-health disaster. It is one of the poorest countries on earth, with only 1 in every 50 Haitians holding a steady job. No Haitian city has a public sewage system, and less than half the population has any access to drinking-water services. Malnutrition is rampant, nearly 200,000 people live with HIV or AIDS, and just half the childhood population is vaccinated against basic diseases like diphtheria. The quake will make it all unimaginably worse.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1953379_1953494_1953675,00.html

Cholera...dysentary...malaria.....a never ending stream of sadness

Do you have some special powers or something? :waitasec: If you do, how can I help?
Woe...that's not really nice ;) Gozgals is not unkind it does not need to go this way. JMO
We actually all have some special powers in very different ways. :)

I find it very hard to believe that anyone would think that the Haitians or anyone for that matter would choose to live in the conditions they have been living under. Maybe they would choose to not be totally "westernized",but they certainly would like to have sanitary conditions and a working infrastructure. Obviously the corrupt government has held back the monies that have been sent over there,in order to keep their people down so they can stay in power. I feel that as horrific as this event has been,maybe its a chance for the wonderful people of Haiti to build something better. The eyes of the world are on them,and hopefully out of the ashes a good and honest government will rise to make Haiti a better place.

GREAT POST. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes the eyes of the world are watching and I hope the Haitian people will have better then they have had.
but I think once we have saved them, and helped heal them, and feed them their government will be no different then what it has been. JMHO but it is not the natives fault so the world has to step in right now. Clinton says we can rebuild Haiti, OD I hope he is right, but can the government change? well in that lies an entire different conversation and MO is I doubt it.I doubt it

Anderson Cooper reporting that physicians with Doctors Without Borders have been rerouted and could not land in Haiti. Yet, a politician was able to get in today.

Hmmn.

About 100 flights a day are now landing, up from 60 last week, said the U.S. military spokesman in Haiti, Cmdr. Chris Lounderman. "The ramp was designed for 16 large aircraft," he said. "At times there were up to 40. That's why there was gridlock."
In addition, the U.S. military on Monday staged the first drop of supplies from a fixed aircraft. Flying nonstop from a base in North Carolina, a C-17 delivered 14,500 meals ready to eat and 15,000 liters of water to a drop zone five miles northeast of the Port-au-Prince airport.

I saw o Katie Courics report tonight that the airport is a real mess. Planes are given 2 hrs to unload so that they can keep getting other planes in. It sure seems like chaos.
They said that toothpaste is a huge commodity there, people put it uder their nose to keep the death stench out. :( There is a plane full f medics and supplies getting ready to leave from our area. :)

So....help from alot of places IS trying to get in, you can see from the article what the problems are. They said the Russian plane lied and said they were low on gas so they could go ahead and land. The Chinese plane held up a few because they had a photo op going on, total insanity!
Thanks for this report I had been gone much of the day and you just put a smile on my face, :)
:blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back