Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: GPS

I wonder if the rental car company has a way to track vehicles it rents, regardless of whether the customer pays for the gps service. Maybe that is what Juan has up his sleeve :thinking:

Thank you so much, Katiecoo, PASA, and everyone else who has shared courtroom perceptions with us. I stay up late every night reading them. :seeya:

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

BEfore I answer another question, and without breaking any confidence I will just say, I know there are MORE Perry Mason moments coming. This was just the beginning....lots more. Stay tuned.

Edited to add I don't know WHAT they are, just that they exist from a very very credible source. And I know the color of the folder that contains them. ;)

Is it a BLUE folder?

God that's a good question...I'll ask her anything and everything I, you, any of us can think of! And take notes! lol ANd the Happy Hour is just a *given*. We just need to whisk her out before the nuts get their claws in her, right PASA? And PASA it's not optional for you to be there the day (s) she comes. Got it? ;)

Yes ma'am. I will be there. I'm honored to be included. And the nut is a nut-job to be sure.

I still believe she is doing that on purpose because she wants to jury to see (pointed toward them) how her hand drapes over the cup just like the photo of her sister and it emphasizes, reminds jury there is no bend in her ring finger like that photo. I haven't seen one time where she has picked up that cup with her right hand. I drink with both as I'm sure most of do from time to time..

I drink with both too.. Had to think about it for a minute, as I'm a lefty. :)

I think her cup holding maneuver will have the opposite effect on the jury. They don't look like stupid people to me.

Great post, btw.

I think that GPS thing is interesting also. I believe it's going somewhere, just not sure where. I know he has lots of other info to impeach her on, not that he needs it but it's there.

I also think we've not heard the last of Matt M. I wonder if either side will call him....

One of the ladies on my right said MM was on the defense witness list. I told her I didn't know what if any list he was on.
I then said it didnt' really matter because Juan will turn the defense witness into a witness for the state. She grinned and gave me a thumbs up. :)

Reading this back it sounds snarky, I didn't say it in a snarky way, I promise. :)

I wonder if the rental car company has a way to track vehicles it rents, regardless of whether the customer pays for the gps service. Maybe that is what Juan has up his sleeve :thinking:

Thank you so much, Katiecoo, PASA, and everyone else who has shared courtroom perceptions with us. I stay up late every night reading them. :seeya:

My son's girlfriend bought a new car. One night she was over visiting him and when she went to leave her car was gone!! She called the police to report it stolen only to find out it was repossessed because she was late for her first payment. They had tracked her down using tracker in the car.

Nurmi gave them to her to read before he submitted the as evidence. I didn't catch it but from what I understand JM objected saying something along the lines that she didn't do it so they were irrelevant. Then side bar and next I saw Nurmi got the journal entries in no more mention was made of the letters.

Going over my notes I read "Nurmi trying to get letters in". But for the life of me I don't remember what happened.
I'm sorry. Maybe it will come to me if I rewatch it on YouTube.

KCL, do you have any recollection of the letters?

You're very welcome. You all are the reason I take notes. :)
I stay up way too late every night reading the board. :)

Going over my notes I read "Nurmi trying to get letters in". But for the life of me I don't remember what happened.

I think maybe you meant the suicide letters?

Forgot to say how much I enjoy your posts! I stay up way too late on court nights just to read what you write. Thanks for doing that!

Funny thing, I was just researching that. Yes, and Budget is one of the ones that do use tracking devices. Here's what I was reading:

Which Rental Companies Use Tracking Devices?
Research of the top rental car companies at airports reveals that at least one company, Payless Car Rental, states in the contract that a tracking device may be used. It also states that if a tracking device is used that information will be disclosed at the time of rental. Companies that include GPS with rentals include Avis, Advantage, Budget, Hertz, and Thrifty, to name a few. Keep in mind that although these companies do not offer information of tracking device use, the GPS system on the vehicle can also be used to determine the car's previous whereabouts. The best way to find out if a rental car company is using tracking devices in their vehicles is to ask. This information should be disclosed when approached before rental. Individuals and court systems are beginning to take action against companies that are using GPS in this manner. According to FindLaw, several states have already restricted the use of these tracking devices by rental car companies for this purpose. Please see the listed resources for further details.

Read more: Which Rental Companies Use Tracking Devices? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7611821_rental-companies-use-tracking-devices.html#ixzz2N4QXoYCY

We don't know where she will go after the trial. InSession no longer exists (as we knew it) and so Beth and Jean were let go.

I can't imagine her not getting hired by someone, she's a great journalist.

She's also got some pretty impressive credentials: a 'Seven Sisters' undergrad degree and Fordham law school. Not too shabby!

I believe you were probably referring to the suicide letter(s?) she wrote to her grandmother(?)
I don't think they were allowed in.

I read at another site that they were used to track speed, location, and whether they were driven accross state lines. It said the info is downloaded after the car is returned. They are especially interested if a car has a lot of unexplained miles on it, or is returned with damage. Wonder if the missing floor mats and excessive mileage threw up a red flag at Budget?

http://www.elliott.org/power-trip/some-rental-companies-keep-tabs-on-their-drivers/

I love that his name has taken on so many variations of new words (e.g., mind-nurming :laugh:, nurmambic pentameter :silly:, nurm things up :yesss:, nurming :clap:, nurmified :giggle::giggle:, etc.). How many others am I missing?

How about... "the Nurmi-berg Trials"?

:seeya:

I think I read somewhere that Nurmi tried to get taken off the case but the court wouldn't allow him to. Is that right? So he's just stuck with her whether he wants to be or not?? Thanks in advance.

I would love an answer to this question...

I am a few pages behind... so I apologize if it is answered before I reach this point...

However... It would give me a small bit of sympathy for Nurmi if it was not his choice to take on this trial..

JMO

I came on late to this case but do remember from following another one here that gps tracking in cell phones was available with some type phones. It could track as long as the battery was still in the phone. If taken out, no.

It's probably the car rental but just thought about the cell phone tracking. The case was Haleigh Cummings that happened in Feb. 2009.

eta, here's an article dated 2006 re: gps tracking and cell phones.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6097216

Same here, and I'm just getting caught up. I think Jodi claims she had to turn off her phone because she forgot to bring her charger with her, and didn't want use up the battery. I'm pretty sure she did not want that phone pinging off towers near TA's house. Seems like I've heard you have to actually remove the battery to stop the pinging. I maybe wrong. In that case, if she removed the battery, she was doing more than conserving battery, she was covering up premeditated murder.

Nurmi gave them to her to read before he submitted the as evidence. I didn't catch it but from what I understand JM objected saying something along the lines that she didn't do it so they were irrelevant. Then side bar and next I saw Nurmi got the journal entries in no more mention was made of the letters.

Unless those jailhouse suicide letters from 2008 contained a confession (which they did not, I'm sure) the jury is over it. I have lost count how many times she said she was preparing her suicide but never did it. A narcissist would NEVER take their own life. The comment she said about taking her life in jail "I was getting my affairs in order", was hysterical. What affairs? She had nothing, and no-one.
Thanks for the courtroom updates ladies. Enjoy your 5 days off from trial.

When Juan said (paraphrasing) "Would it surprise you to know Walmart has no record of a return of a gas can on that day." The courtroom was electrified. It is hard to explain, but we (KCL, KDDJ, DDJ-guest, and, myself) were shaking when we left the courtroom.

I am so glad to hear you say that! On a different site I said the trial was over after that question and her answer. She turned to the jurors and said, in the same calm voice she's used all along, "Considering that I returned it, that would surprise me." Actually she said it twice using the exact same words.

I bet when jurors are interviewed after the trial, they'll say that moment sent chills up their spines. They knew at that point they were looking into the eyes of a monster.

I'm interested to see if future reports from the courtroom say the jurors seem to have lost interest, as I expect they have heard all they need to hear. Anything else - especially from Arias/Nurmi/Wilmott - is a waste of time.

P.S. This was my first post here after lurking a while. Thanks for all you do.

I read at another site that they were used to track speed, location, and whether they were driven accross state lines. It said the info is downloaded after the car is returned. They are especially interested if a car has a lot of unexplained miles on it, or is returned with damage. Wonder if the missing floor mats and excessive mileage threw up a red flag at Budget?

http://www.elliott.org/power-trip/some-rental-companies-keep-tabs-on-their-drivers/

It would be really interesting if these chips also log start and stop GPS locations, which could lead the State to where the gun and knife (and rope, if you believe there was one) were dumped. I'm an IT person and IMO it would be very simple to program the collection of minute bits of data like that. Walking in with that gun in rebuttal would truly be a Perry Mason Moment! :great:

Welcome bsk! Love this site and these people. Have actually been on here since Scott Peterson's trial and KCL was one of my heroes.

PASA, How are the Courtroom personnel? The Clerk's, Bailiffs and Deputies. I know from experience how close they all become and how observant they are of regular Court Watchers. When I was a Bailiff we had a group of Court watchers that were retired and came to Court everyday to observe. Sometimes attorneys would even ask for their opinion about how things were going and about what they thought about certain witnesses, etc. Is there that type of relationship happening in this Court?

Also usually the Prosecutor and their staff would take very good care of the victim or their families. Ie, warning them when something graphic was about to be shown and making sure they were not harassed by the defendant or their family. Is that going on too?? Just curious and thank you for being our eyes and ears on the inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayabusa1300