AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 1 Feb 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for all of you...

I am surprised that reporters have not tracked down at least one member of his family for a statement. Is it typical for families to not have anything to say about a cases like this with so much speculation? Is it typical to not have any information about a family even if they refuse to make a statement? I know we can't search families and I wouldn't, but I was just curious.

A family friend (spokesperson) has spoken for the family to the press.

ETA the link: http://articles.ktuu.com/2012-03-16/samantha-koenig-case_31202918

“No one has met him we don't know who he is we don't know what association he has with anybody, we don't know why he would take samantha if he did take Samantha,” Michelle Tasker , a Koenig family spokesperson, said in a statement.

Tasker said his arrest does not change much for the Koenig family as their focus remains on finding Samantha.

These may not be Sam's cards, they could be another missing person's cards or a deceased person's cards that he obtained fraudulently. If they were related to another missing or deceased person, it would establish a pattern of behavior. The link could be the behavior not actually Sam...

With the exception that - why would LE say that having possession of another missing person's cards or another deceased person's cards makes him a suspect in the disappearance of Sam? Why would another person's cards make LE say this “He may only be a witness in that, or he may not be involved in any way except using these credit cards, or he may be a suspect,” said Lieutenant Dave Parker. “The fact that he was in possession of these items and he has acted in certain ways makes him a person of interest in the disappearance.” KWIM? How would they jump to POI in Sam's disappearance with the use of another person's card/s?

With the exception that - why would LE say that having possession of another missing person's cards or another deceased person's cards makes him a suspect in the disappearance of Sam? Why would another person's cards make LE say this “He may only be a witness in that, or he may not be involved in any way except using these credit cards, or he may be a suspect,” said Lieutenant Dave Parker. “The fact that he was in possession of these items and he has acted in certain ways makes him a person of interest in the disappearance.” KWIM? How would they jump to POI in Sam's disappearance with the use of another person's card/s?

I agree.

And IF he did have her cards and other possessions of hers, and he is giving them no explanations for having them, wouldn't he be charged with her kidnapping? How else would he get them?

I guess he could say he found them in the trash..but is that believable?

I guess he is not visible in the hut video.

I'm stuck on the fact just two weeks ago the lead detective said he believes Samantha is alive.

"I'm privy to the details of the investigation, and I believe that she's alive," Markiewicz said.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/03/08/2360227/police-say-they-believe-samantha.html#storylink=cpy

He doesn't say he's hopeful she's alive, he says he believes she's alive.

I think when all is said and done, we'll find out LE is searching for Samantha not only because she's endangered, but other reasons too.

A family friend (spokesperson) has spoken for the family to the press.

ETA the link: http://articles.ktuu.com/2012-03-16/samantha-koenig-case_31202918

“No one has met him we don't know who he is we don't know what association he has with anybody, we don't know why he would take samantha if he did take Samantha,” Michelle Tasker , a Koenig family spokesperson, said in a statement.

Tasker said his arrest does not change much for the Koenig family as their focus remains on finding Samantha.

I apologize for not being clear...I meant IK's family, not Sam's.

Highlighted your last question :)

Because of the evidence found in the car (not including the c/c)

From my initial understanding Samantha had this job at the coffee place for 3 months, before that it had been a while since she worked. Still wondering how she had over $1000 in her account.

Lt Dave Parker has given us information before that led us to believe something different.

If the reporters are reading this, someone start listening during interviews. To clear this up all they had to do was ask "So what you are saying is that the credit cards were Samanthas?"

His other behaviours could have been cleared up with "You mean by driving to Texas" .... quote hunting never tells a story :(

I guess he could have her permission to use her cards, but it's not my opinion he even had her cards. For all we know, the only evidence is a receipt from a credit card purchase he made at CGE on the night she disappeared. MOO I just don't think this is the guy.

Lord knows I've been wrong before. :blushing:

I was thinking along the lines of behavioral profiling. If IK was using another missing persons credit cards, that would link him to another missing person. Sam went missing, so IK, being known to use another missing persons credit cards, who happens to be in the area when Sam goes missing may be suspected. But, they can't directly link him, just the credit card fraud and the behavior of happening to be in possession of another missing persons credit cards...I have heard of cases where people are arrested because they happen to be in certain areas at certain times when crimes happen. That's what I was thinking...hence the vague and ambiguous statements from law enforcement. The link is people missing were this guy goes and the credit card fraud is what drew attention to him?

I'm stuck on the fact just two weeks ago the lead detective said he believes Samantha is alive.

"I'm privy to the details of the investigation, and I believe that she's alive," Markiewicz said.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/03/08/2360227/police-say-they-believe-samantha.html#storylink=cpy

He doesn't say he's hopeful she's alive, he says he believes she's alive.

I think when all is said and done, we'll find out LE is searching for Samantha not only because she's endangered, but other reasons too.

True but that was before they made an arrest and did not find Samantha with the possible suspect, it seems...they kind of backed off that statement a bit since and now don't really say one way or another what they think.

True but that was before they made an arrest and did not find Samantha with the possible suspect, it seems...they kind of backed off that statement a bit since and now don't really say one way or another what they think.

I read on her facebook page that he still has to go before the grand jury to see if other charges will be filed. Maybe it's the ambiguous statements from LE or sloppy reporting, but I think the whole case is flimsy at best. They sure don't seem to be in any hurry to bring him back to AK. Next month? REALLY?
imvho

http://www.ktva.com/home/top-stories/Suspect-or-Person-of-Interest-143836966.html

So far Keyes has only been named a suspect for access device fraud for using someone else's credit or debit card. But when it comes to the kidnapping itself, police say Keyes is not a suspect right now.

“He may only be a witness in that, or he may not be involved in any way except using these credit cards, or he may be a suspect,” said Lieutenant Dave Parker. “The fact that he was in possession of these items and he has acted in certain ways makes him a person of interest in the disappearance.”

Whoa. Wait. What ?

I read on her facebook page that he still has to go before the grand jury to see if other charges will be filed. Maybe it's the ambiguous statements from LE or sloppy reporting, but I think the whole case is flimsy at best. They sure don't seem to be in any hurry to bring him back to AK. Next month? REALLY?
imvho

Again, I haven't followed any other cases this closely but it blows my mind that it could be THAT long before they get him back to AK and the family has any sort of information. I don't really understand why it would take that long.

imvho

They did say it can take up to a month - it really shouldn't. They just say that to cover themselves but if he was closely linked and had the information they needed to get Samantha home I think he would be back there now.

he may well be in the air somewhere as we speak ;) errrr type lol

imvho

In one of the videos posted (can't find it now) a woman with the Tex. Attorney General's office said they wouldn't exactly say when they would transport IK for security reasons.

I really think they are just trying to contain info for now...JMO-so they come off sounding super-awkward.

Whether he's involved or not, Keyes' life is ruined and his family is at risk for retaliation.

"Whether you're a suspect or a person of interest, it's a label that's tough to get rid of. “Once you’re labeled as a person of interest you might as well hire an attorney because you are now unofficially the suspect, and in the eyes of the public officially the perpetrator,” said Butler. It’s a tag that he says could put someone in harm’s way. “John Doe is a suspect, even John Doe as a person of interest, you’re going to take some heat, you better watch out for your welfare and the welfare of your family,” said Butler.

http://www.ktva.com/home/top-stories/Suspect-or-Person-of-Interest-143836966.html

He has a right to a speedy trial, but a not a speedy extradition I guess. Does Texas have charges against him besides the traffic ticket? I assume AK is paying for his keep while he's in TX. People don't sit in jail for free.

Excuse if I seem a smidge frustrated. I can't imagine what the families are going through.

Whether he's involved or not, Keyes' life is ruined and his family is at risk for retaliation.

"Whether you're a suspect or a person of interest, it's a label that's tough to get rid of. “Once you’re labeled as a person of interest you might as well hire an attorney because you are now unofficially the suspect, and in the eyes of the public officially the perpetrator,” said Butler. It’s a tag that he says could put someone in harm’s way. “John Doe is a suspect, even John Doe as a person of interest, you’re going to take some heat, you better watch out for your welfare and the welfare of your family,” said Butler.

He has a right to a speedy trial, but a not a speedy extradition I guess. Does Texas have charges against him besides the traffic ticket? I assume AK is paying for his keep while he's in TX. People don't sit in jail for free.

Excuse if I seem a smidge frustrated. I can't imagine what the families are going through.

No, I agree. I think that it might have been wise either to have waited to announce he'd been arrested until after his extradition or to state that they had evidence sufficient enough to call him a POI. As it is, they can't label him a suspect/POI and so everyone is just left to speculate about his involvement because they're not sharing any real information. If he indeed played no role in SK's disappearance, they're doing him an enormous disservice here, and as you say, his life will be ruined.

(Note that I don't wish to sound as though I'm defending IK at SK's expense. I just don't know what evidence they have to definitively connect him to her abduction.)

OK, I admit I have not been in this thread much recently. I am mostly following Hailey Dunn developments. So what is going on with IK? Is he now NOT a suspect anymore? Are they backing off him? I am confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbod153