Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Union crew walked out that morning, it sounds like they used whoever they could find instead. Which makes no sense; you’re either a Union set or you’re not. I don’t know how they could legally have dumped their IATSE contract and gone with amateurs at that point. But maybe the subs were union as well. It doesn’t sound like it from their actions, though.

As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, two of the knowledgeable people said.

One of the producers ordered the union members to leave the set and threatened to call security to remove them if they didn't leave voluntarily.

"Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting," the knowledgeable person said.

The shooting occurred about six hours after the union camera crew left.

Alec Baldwin 'Rust' camera crew walked off the set in protest before the fatal shooting

I'm curious why she was hired in the first place. I think who ever hired her showed a real lack of judgement.
Not only is she very young, very inexperienced (1 previous film) but she was fired from her first film (handing a loaded weapon to an 11 year old I believe). I imagine she was hired for Rust because she would save them money. In the end she may cost them more money than they ever imagined.

Film Crew Members Say The Alec Baldwin Prop Gun Shooting Fits A Pattern Of Safety Shortfalls
BBM
At least two property masters.. said that they turned down the opportunity to work on Rust because of their concerns over how rushed the project was, what they considered to be low-ball pay, and how “flippant” the producers seemed about protocols.

Warnings about the production arose in September when Neal Zoromski, a veteran property master, told one of the producers that he had concerns about how and where they were sourcing props and personnel for the film. On Sept. 20, Row Walters, a unit production manager, reached out to Zoromski asking if he would be interested in joining the Tier 1A feature (that classification means it’s a low-budget production), shooting in Santa Fe starting Oct. 6.. But the low rates, slim staffing, and rushed timeline were red flags, said Zoromski, who has been in the industry since 1989, is a 25-year union member..

“They didn’t seem to be playing it right from the beginning,” he said. “It felt slipshod, and the vibe was that this is a very unsafe situation, and I told them as much.”

In his discussions with Rust producers last month, Zoromski said he inquired about the armorer, since it’s usually the prop master’s job to hire that role, as well as the weapons. According to emails and the call sheet, the prop master had two assistants, one of whom was also the armorer. It was concerning, he said, that the film chose to combine those two roles into one. It compressed that person’s ability to “check the functioning guns, test them, and prepare them for use.” The call sheet also showed that most of the crew members were nonunion, meaning they were likely paid below the standard wage.

Last edited:
As the camera crew — members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees — spent about an hour assembling their gear at the Bonanza Creek Ranch, several nonunion crew members showed up to replace them, two of the knowledgeable people said.

One of the producers ordered the union members to leave the set and threatened to call security to remove them if they didn't leave voluntarily.

"Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting," the knowledgeable person said.

The shooting occurred about six hours after the union camera crew left.

Alec Baldwin 'Rust' camera crew walked off the set in protest before the fatal shooting
I guess Rust Movie Productions, LLC didn't consider their complaints official?

‘Rust’ Production Company To Launch Internal Review After Fatal Accident, Possible Prior Incidents & Camera Crew Walkout – Deadline

Several of those who quit wrote letters of resignation..
“We cited everything from lack of payment for three weeks, taking our hotels away despite asking for them in our deals, lack of Covid safety, and on top of that, poor gun safety! Poor on-set safty period!” After the walkout, “They brought in four non-union guys to replace us and tried calling the cops on us.

The safety of our cast and crew is the top priority of Rust Productions and everyone associated with the company. Though we were not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set, we will be conducting an internal review of our procedures while production is shut down. We will continue to cooperate with the Santa Fe authorities in their investigation and offer mental health services to the cast and crew during this tragic time.

Last edited:
Alec Baldwin Rust Movie Shooting: Inexperienced Producers to Blame? – The Hollywood Reporter

In May 2020, Alec Baldwin and writer-director Joel Souza unveiled an upcoming collaboration, the period Western Rust..

As the investigation delves into who was culpable in the tragedy that also injured Souza, several crewmembers have expressed to The Hollywood Reporter frustration specifically with the film’s producers, a ragtag group of six men who have produced only nine movies combined.

As with any film, the buck stops with the producers.
They are the men and women in charge of hiring and to whom crewmembers can take complaints.
What’s notable about Rust is that it featured a hodgepodge group with little to no experience in that capacity.

I find myself somehow defending AB again but I think as an actor, experience may actually lead to complacency. If you've done scores of movies before and there's never been a problem, and you've been able to trust every single person giving you a gun, you may not question an AD telling you a gun is cold. If you've only done it once before, and last time it was opened in front of you, you're going to have a lot more questions.

Will be interested to see how they investigate the crew shooting for fun before the incident... that to me should never have happened - and the armorer should've made that impossible. She should be the one fully understanding the risks, with support from the AD and others.

Veteran prop master turned down 'Rust' film: 'An accident waiting to happen'
BBM
Zoromski said he initially asked for a department of five technicians. He was told that "Rust" was a low-budget production and that plans were to use items from a local prop house. He modified his request to have at least two experienced crew members: one to serve as an assistant prop master and the other as an armorer..

But the "Rust" producers insisted that only one person was needed to handle both tasks.

"You never have a prop assistant double as the armorer," Zoromski said. "Those are two really big jobs."

Walters, the production manager, sent Zoromski an email Sept. 24 that read: "We'd really like one of the assistants to be the armorer that can push up on the gunfights and heavy armor days"

Zoromski replied: "Unfortunately, I have to pass on this opportunity.."

Three days later, 24-year-old Hannah Gutierrez-Reed announced on Facebook that she had a new gig on a film in Santa Fe..She'd landed the job as the "property key assistant/armorer" on "Rust"

Last edited:
Well, that clears up how she ended up there-producers were really trying to save a buck. So who ended up being the prop master? I am surprised we haven't heard anything about that person.
And she wasn't only the armourer, she was also assistant to the Prop Master working two demanding positions, handling ALL the props.

An assistant to a mystery boss.

Rust Set Didn't Have a Union Prop Master Working on Day of Alec Baldwin Incident, Says Union
An email by IATSE’s 44 told members on Thursday night that there was no union prop master on set the night Halyna Hutchins was killed

Dear Members,

As many of us have already heard, there was an accidental weapons discharge on a production titled Rust being filmed in New Mexico. A live single round was accidentally fired on set by the principal actor, hitting both the Director of Photography, Local 600 member Halyna Hutchins, and Director Joel Souza. Both were rushed to the hospital. Unfortunately, we lost Sister Hutchins who passed from the wound.

Local 44 has confirmed that the Props, Set Decoration, Special Effects and Construction Departments were staffed by New Mexico crew members. There were no Local 44 members on the call sheet.

On behalf of Local 44’s Officers, Executive Board and Staff, our thoughts and prayers go out to Halyna and her family. We also send good thoughts to Joel and his family for a full recovery.

In Solidarity,

Anthony Pawluc
Secretary-Treasurer
IATSE Local 44

I saw an excellent comment on one article that stated, “If AB was directed to point the gun at himself in a scene, do you think he would have checked/cleared the gun first?”

I wonder how different some comments on this thread would be if this had happened,if he had pointed at his head and pulled the trigger. Would we all be calling out the armourer,the AD, the producers and finally the actor who didn't check the gun? Would this thread be full of sympathy for a dead actor who took his AD at his word (even if he should have checked himself) or would it be full of "Well its sad but it was his own fault for not checking" ?.
I'm not saying he shouldn't have checked the gun,clearly we can all see why he should have, but I can also see why he trusted what he was told.
Until we know how involved AB was as a producer I can't form a proper opinion as to his responsibility for the set as a whole but I don't think it's looking great at the moment.

From your link in the case of the death of 27-year-old camera assistant Sarah Jones and the others injured..

[Director] Miller, his wife producer Jody Savin, producer Jay Sedrish and first assistant director Hillary Schwartz, were charged with involuntary manslaughter and criminal trespass. Miller pleaded guilty on March 9 to the charges, so the edited scene was never shown in court. He was sentenced to two years in prison and ordered to pay a $20,000 fine. Miller is also prohibited from being a director or assistant director for the next 10 years. It the first time in history that a Hollywood director had been held responsible for a death on set.

“It was a very big deal because...in California, they're invincible,” said Brunswick Assistant District Attorney John Johnson. “It showed that directors and producers… can be held responsible if a crewmember dies… We take life seriously here in South Georgia, and we also take death seriously too.”

Jay Sedrish and Hillary Schwartz also pleaded guilty to with involuntary manslaughter and criminal trespass charges and each were sentenced to 10 years probation. As part of the plea deal for Miller, charges against Savin, who had pleaded not guilty, were dropped.

The below quote is spot on. Producers and Directors can get these crazy ideas and god forbid someone tells them no.

Just in watching movies I have seen and thought, how in the world did they talk an actor, or stuntman, to do these scenes?

“It was a very big deal because...in California, they're invincible,” said Brunswick Assistant District Attorney John Johnson. “It showed that directors and producers… can be held responsible if a crewmember dies…

If that dude is surprised, it would appear he wasn't paying attention.
Yeah he doesn't address the incident with the child. There's no way he didn't know about that. He was clearly impressed by her potential but there's no doubt she was still very green. And she went on to do exactly what he said would not be safe - take a dual props assistant/armourer role on her next movie. BBM

Though Reed is the daughter of a veteran armorer respected throughout the film industry, "The Old Way" — a Nicolas Cage western that was shot over four weeks in Montana in August — included so many gunfights that prop master Jeffrey W. Crow insisted producers hire a person to specifically focus on armory.

"I told them there was no way any person could do props and armory on a gunfighter movie safely because there were too many guns," recalled Crow, who supervised Reed on "The Old Way." "All the armorers I know and tried to bring in were working already, so I left it up to producers. I had never heard about Hannah until I was informed she would be my armorer, but my skepticism of her initially, about her lack of experience, was allayed after I’d worked with her."

Peer of 'Rust' gun handler expresses shock: 'I'm surprised any of this happened on her watch'

Ah! I finally found this thread! I have wondered for days why we weren't discussing this sad case. Now, to catch up with everything y'all have already discussed. Silly me. :cool:
Rust director looks distraught as he is seen for the first time since fatal set shooting | Daily Mail Online
Souza is also the writer, in collaboration with Baldwin.

Alec Baldwin on Upcoming Western, ‘Rust,’ Croisette Memories and a Near Miss with Marion Cotillard – The Hollywood Reporter

You’re credited as a having helped conceived the idea with Souza. How did that come about?

Joel read a story, which was basically the answer to a question: who was the youngest person ever to hang in the American West? And the answer was a very young kid, I think he was 13 or 14. But literally a boy. We don’t have anything to do with the particulars of that case, but that was the seed of where Joel was going with this revenge drama.

How are your gun slinging and horse-riding skills?

They’re always at the ready. I’m an actor of the old school. So if you read my resume — my motorcycle riding, my French, juggling, my horseback riding, my gunplay — is all right at my fingertips at all times.

Last edited:
I guess Rust Movie Productions, LLC didn't consider their complaints official?

‘Rust’ Production Company To Launch Internal Review After Fatal Accident, Possible Prior Incidents & Camera Crew Walkout – Deadline

Several of those who quit wrote letters of resignation..
“We cited everything from lack of payment for three weeks, taking our hotels away despite asking for them in our deals, lack of Covid safety, and on top of that, poor gun safety! Poor on-set safty period!” After the walkout, “They brought in four non-union guys to replace us and tried calling the cops on us.

The safety of our cast and crew is the top priority of Rust Productions and everyone associated with the company. Though we were not made aware of any official complaints concerning weapon or prop safety on set, we will be conducting an internal review of our procedures while production is shut down. We will continue to cooperate with the Santa Fe authorities in their investigation and offer mental health services to the cast and crew during this tragic time.

The people that walked off are saying they reported gun safety concerns. Rust Productions is saying they were unaware.

Records of those communications will be very important to the investigation. Some of the concerns, such as hotel accommodations, pay, and commuting time may have been negotiable items.

Weapons safety, ALL SAFETY - should never have been optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia