Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hours before Alec Baldwin shooting, crew walked off set to protest safety conditions

... Most troubling to Jay, “There was one day the actress was aiming it at her head. He didn’t want to do safety meeting! It took a person from another department demanding the meeting to finally hold it. It shouldn’t be like that. It should be first and foremost safety.”

In another distressing example, Halls wanted to film a scene with pyrotechnics while the person authorized to set it alight was suffering from a medical emergency. “We had to do a fire effect, but you have to do a fire safety card that allows you to work with pyrotechnics. That person was having a medical emergency in the parking lot. [Halls] said, ‘Yes, it’s very tragic, we hope he gets better, can you just light this pyrotechnic?’ Looking at me in props. No, I’m not trained in that. A man is outside in an unknown condition having seizures. Finally, the fire safety officer said, ‘No, absolutely not, we will be waiting until we get a person that’s licensed to do this.'” ...

WOW. Asst. Director Dave Halls is a nasty piece of work. Yeah, I'll say it - in my view, sociopathic. 100% JMO.

This is insane.

Alec Baldwin's Rust film 'will NEVER be finished' after shooting leaves cinematographer dead | Daily Mail Online

49579135-10125827-image-a-6_1635096443737.jpg

Although Alec Baldwin (pictured), who fired the fatal shot, will likely be named in upcoming lawsuits, whoever loaded the gun will be the most likely to face criminal charges

49512687-10122791-The_difference_between_live_rounds_and_blanks_is_the_tip_of_the_-a-43_1634980657908.jpg

The difference between live rounds and blanks is the tip of the cartridge where the lethal bullet is contained is not there on a blank. Sometimes they are replaced with cotton or paper. Dummy bullets, unlike blanks, look like ordinary bullets but aren’t meant to contain the metal bullet tip either

49532637-10122791-The_gun_that_fired_the_fatal_shot_was_a_vintage_style_Colt_revol-a-42_1634980657908.jpg

The gun that fired the fatal shot was a vintage-style Colt revolver, (pictured) DailyMail.com has exclusively learned

On Saturday, it was revealed by TMZ that Colt pistol in question had previously been used recreationally for target practice by crew members. Sources claim that some of the set's crew would go off for target practice using real bullets, and some believe that a live round from those sessions found its way into the barrel of the gun used on set.

Another source told TMZ that live ammo and blanks were being stored in the same area on set, offering another possible explanation as to how a bullet was fired from Baldwin's Colt.

TinEye search shows the bottom photo to be a stock photo of an actual Colt Third Model Dragoon Percussion Revolver, Serial Number 12406. Almost certainly NOT the firearm used in the incident. The "Daily Wail" strikes again.

The armorer on the set of Rust where Baldwin killed cinematographer pictured at her home | Daily Mail Online

I know I shouldn't be judging her on the way she looks, but if you were just involved in a very tragic accident, in which you may bear much of the culpability, I can't imagine why she'd wear the shirt she's wearing.

You know the photographers are going to find you, but your choice is to wear a shirt with a drawing of a nude woman in bondage?

I know it’s not my place to judge her clothing, but IMO it speaks to a certain recklessness and lack of judgment.

'Rust' actor says filming movie felt 'life-threatening'

“But some of the other actors … were double- and triple-checking our weaponsafter the armorer gave them to us, whether they were cold or hot,” he said.

Still, Hudson defended rookie armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed, insisting the 24-year-old ex-model had been “doing a fantastic job” while “pressed for time as much as she was.”

“I even overheard Joel Souza, the director, praise her a couple of times for being as safe as she was and as consistent — and speedy, too, keeping up with the rushed schedule,” he said of the director, who was also injured in the shooting.

The armorer on the set of Rust where Baldwin killed cinematographer pictured at her home | Daily Mail Online

I know I shouldn't be judging her on the way she looks, but if you were just involved in a very tragic accident, in which you may bear much of the culpability, I can't imagine why she'd wear the shirt she's wearing.

You know the photographers are going to find you, but your choice is to wear a shirt with a drawing of a nude woman in bondage?

I know it’s not my place to judge her clothing, but IMO it speaks to a certain recklessness and lack of judgment.
I wouldn't trust her with a potato gun, much less a vintage colt that had misfired days previously and was being used for target practice afterwards(!!!!). That article, the pictures, the interviews...so frustrating and heartbreaking

o_O What the What?? I agree. Total lack of judgement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's a lot of hindsight bias (if I've picked the right term) going on in this discussion (inc. previous thread). It's very easy to say you would NEVER do what AB did, that you would ALWAYS check, but IMO as an actor who's done many films you're going to rely on the people with skills around you. This was also a production with budget/staffing issues and a grumpy AD, meaning you're going to be under pressure to do stuff quickly. This creates um, groupthink bias (everyone thinking it will all be fine because everyone else says so too). So when you're told a weapon is fine, and you don't personally know much about them, you believe the person in charge. I honestly don't think you'd know what you'd do/how you'd react unless you were there. It's all very well saying actors should check guns but even that isn't easy to do safely.

It's a horrible case and I think a lot of people will be sued re civil liability but from a criminal point of view, I'd be surprised if AB comes under much blame, unless he had explicitly been told on this specific set that he must check the gun every time (and be trained to do so).

I think there's a lot of hindsight bias (if I've picked the right term) going on in this discussion (inc. previous thread). It's very easy to say you would NEVER do what AB did, that you would ALWAYS check, but IMO as an actor who's done many films you're going to rely on the people with skills around you. This was also a production with budget/staffing issues and a grumpy AD, meaning you're going to be under pressure to do stuff quickly. This creates um, groupthink bias (everyone thinking it will all be fine because everyone else says so too). So when you're told a weapon is fine, and you don't personally know much about them, you believe the person in charge. I honestly don't think you'd know what you'd do/how you'd react unless you were there. It's all very well saying actors should check guns but even that isn't easy to do safely.

It's a horrible case and I think a lot of people will be sued re civil liability but from a criminal point of view, I'd be surprised if AB comes under much blame, unless he had explicitly been told on this specific set that he must check the gun every time (and be trained to do so).
I don't see any criminal liability for AB here. And I think we would still need to know more about exactly what happened to see if anyone else might be criminally liable. Was there some criminal negligence? Still need to know more. How did live rounds get into this gun? But on a civil liability side, there is going to be a lot of blame to go around for sure.

You are correct, you shouldn’t be judging her by a tee shirt that she’s wearing.

It’s totally irrelevant to the shooting on set that ended with a tragic death. IMO

So...
This set was, among other things, a shooting range for wannabe cowboys.

Time was tight but, nevertheless, enough to play with guns.

The realism of the surroundings took some back to lawless past.

I hope the Sheriff of the present will restore Law and Order as the famous Rio Bravo one.

It is a Western after all.

But a Victim here was not a "Prop", but a real Woman, Mother, Wife, Daughter.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member