Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we've had several quotes on the last thread from other actors who say they check their guns themselves.

Yes, I read those. But, as I said in my post, big name actors. You know the ones... Clint Eastwood, Tom Cruise, Tommy Lee Jones come to mind. Maybe they have always personally checked each and every firearm cleared and handed to them by the set armorer but I haven't seen any of them quoted.

IF I was 'pretending' , and holding, pointing and accidentally fired a gun killing someone, but I stated to LE that my friend gave me the gun, and he/she said it was not loaded..and I really believed and trusted in my friend....would that hold water? Would that statement in the real world absolve me of any charges? Or would I be charged with at the least, negligence?

Yes, I read those. But, as I said in my post, big name actors. You know the ones... Clint Eastwood, Tom Cruise, Tommy Lee Jones come to mind. Maybe they have always personally checked each and every firearm cleared and handed to them by the set armorer but I haven't seen any of them quoted.
Ray Liotta the other day had said that when firearms were used, the armorer or whoever would bring the gun in, and show to the person that would handle the gun and any person it might be point at, that it was indeed unloaded or had blanks. That would seem to be the best idea. That is quick, the armorer stays in control, and it is one last chance to check it.

IF I was 'pretending' , and holding, pointing and accidentally fired a gun killing someone, but I stated to LE that my friend gave me the gun, and he/she said it was not loaded..and I really believed and trusted in my friend....would that hold water? Would that statement in the real world absolve me of any charges? Or would I be charged with at the least, negligence?
I think out in the real world, if that happened, the person would likely be charged with something. I think on a movie set it is a bit different. There are professionals that are supposed to make sure this never happens and I think an actor should be able to reasonably rely on them.

The armorer on the set of Rust where Baldwin killed cinematographer pictured at her home | Daily Mail Online

I know I shouldn't be judging her on the way she looks, but if you were just involved in a very tragic accident, in which you may bear much of the culpability, I can't imagine why she'd wear the shirt she's wearing.

You know the photographers are going to find you, but your choice is to wear a shirt with a drawing of a nude woman in bondage?

I know it’s not my place to judge her clothing, but IMO it speaks to a certain recklessness and lack of judgment.

OMG. Is she out of her mind? moo

I think out in the real world, if that happened, the person would likely be charged with something. I think on a movie set it is a bit different. There are professionals that are supposed to make sure this never happens and I think an actor should be able to reasonably rely on them.

Thank you for your reply! Of course, it only brings up more questions for me, LOL. These are not directed at you, just more of my wheels spinning...

So, relying on others, for the safety and well being of mankind is an acceptable excuse in the 'pretend world' of actors? Is there any other group of people that are exempt from safety rules and or laws?
Is there a special clause in an actors contract, that clears this up? Or, is it just kind of 'understood' ?

Thank you for your reply! Of course, it only brings up more questions for me, LOL. These are not directed at you, just more of my wheels spinning...

So, relying on others, for the safety and well being of mankind is an acceptable excuse in the 'pretend world' of actors? Is there any other group of people that are exempt from safety rules and or laws?
Is there a special clause in an actors contract, that clears this up? Or, is it just kind of 'understood' ?
Criminal statutes require some sort of criminal intent. I think that is missing here. I think would also apply if a person, a novice shooter, went to a gun range, and a professional instructor handed them a gun and something went wrong. The novice's reliance on the professional would be reasonable. It may be the professional that is criminally negligent.
I am just still trying to wrap my head around how this could have happened.

All the following is MOO

1. Live bullets showed up on set, where they should not be
2. Because of COVID, the normal protocol of the armorer checking the gun and verifying with the actor was not followed
3. AD hands the gun to the actor, and AD fired it, killing one and wounding another

The armorer is off scot free. She had no chain of custody from the time she put the gun on the cart until AB fired it. UNLESS she was the one using the gun for target practice and the live ammo can be traced to her.

The AD, he's in trouble. He didn't check the gun.

Baldwin is in trouble. He didn't check the gun and killed somebody.

Cops are out to find who was using the guns for target practice and why they did not empty the gun. Whomever this is has a lot of trouble coming their way.

And in the end the "pretend world" was all too real for Halyna and her family.

Please excuse my analogy, as it appears to me.

This all ended horrifically and tragically with Ms Hutchins being shot and killed...accidentally..by Alec Baldwin. That was the last 'Domino' to fall.

Multiple preceding Dominoes were haphazardly arranged, and somehow resulting in the final outcome.
I visualized All Dominoes in this had the word SAFETY FAIL on them.

Criminal statutes require some sort of criminal intent. I think that is missing here. I think would also apply if a person, a novice shooter, went to a gun range, and a professional instructor handed them a gun and something went wrong. The novice's reliance on the professional would be reasonable. It may be the professional that is criminally negligent.
I am just still trying to wrap my head around how this could have happened.

What if someone claims that AD had ill intent or revenge and wanted to take it out on the crew? That’s hypothetical but how would that play out?

TinEye search shows the bottom photo to be a stock photo of an actual Colt Third Model Dragoon Percussion Revolver, Serial Number 12406. Almost certainly NOT the firearm used in the incident. The "Daily Wail" strikes again.

That is just an example of the type of gun that was used, a vintage colt revolver.

Peer of 'Rust' gun handler expresses shock: 'I'm surprised any of this happened on her watch'

... On set, she said, she was often judged for her age and gender. Many actors would walk into the prop department and look at Crow instead of her, expecting he was the armorer, she said: “I’d be, like, ‘Don’t look at him. Look at me.’”

“I don’t do anything unless I’m the best at it, really,” Reed said on the podcast, adding that she rides a Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster. “I’m pretty competitive. I hope to grow to the point where I’m pretty much just an untouchable person that has all the knowledge of everything.” ...

Maybe she instigated / participated in the target practice?

JMO

my dear God. She knows everything! At age 24! Wow just wow.

Anyone know what type of attorney the victims spouse is? Not sleuthing him.

The armorer on the set of Rust where Baldwin killed cinematographer pictured at her home | Daily Mail Online

I know I shouldn't be judging her on the way she looks, but if you were just involved in a very tragic accident, in which you may bear much of the culpability, I can't imagine why she'd wear the shirt she's wearing.

You know the photographers are going to find you, but your choice is to wear a shirt with a drawing of a nude woman in bondage?

I know it’s not my place to judge her clothing, but IMO it speaks to a certain recklessness and lack of judgment.

And it says ‘I’m tied up at the moment’. She has to know the paparazzi are out there waiting to get a photo of her.

From the Buzzfeed article about AD Halls:

Back in February, crew members also walked off the Georgia set of another low-budget production where Halls worked as assistant director, One Way, because of what they said were unsafe working conditions and lack of pay. Angela Schroeder, a set decorator, told BuzzFeed News that the final straw was the last night, when Halls decided to do a spontaneous shoot at an active train yard because the production company had not properly secured any locations. The assistant director had all of the crew working within 30 feet of at least eight dark train tracks in the middle of the night, without spotters, she said, adding that “nobody knew what they were doing.”

A "spontaneous shoot" at an active train yard at night, presumably without permission? Words fail me.

And that was after a movie set fatality involving a train in Georgia, back in 2015!?

'Midnight Rider' Filmmakers Edited Footage from Horrific Train Accident Shoot

'Rust' actor says filming movie felt 'life-threatening'

“But some of the other actors … were double- and triple-checking our weaponsafter the armorer gave them to us, whether they were cold or hot,” he said.

Still, Hudson defended rookie armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed, insisting the 24-year-old ex-model had been “doing a fantastic job” while “pressed for time as much as she was.”

“I even overheard Joel Souza, the director, praise her a couple of times for being as safe as she was and as consistent — and speedy, too, keeping up with the rushed schedule,” he said of the director, who was also injured in the shooting.

“Ex-model” was pressed for time but was being safe, consistent and speedy. Why didn’t he see what the others observed??

And it says ‘I’m tied up at the moment’. She has to know the paparazzi are out there waiting to get a photo of her.

She knew what she was doing when she deliberately talked outside on her phone and turned her back to let the cameras get a good view. Exhibitionist. Media right there.

She is familiar with cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member