Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF I was 'pretending' , and holding, pointing and accidentally fired a gun killing someone, but I stated to LE that my friend gave me the gun, and he/she said it was not loaded..and I really believed and trusted in my friend....would that hold water? Would that statement in the real world absolve me of any charges? Or would I be charged with at the least, negligence?
Does your friend also work closely with an armorer who is paid to make sure the gun is not loaded?

Thank you for your reply! Of course, it only brings up more questions for me, LOL. These are not directed at you, just more of my wheels spinning...

So, relying on others, for the safety and well being of mankind is an acceptable excuse in the 'pretend world' of actors? Is there any other group of people that are exempt from safety rules and or laws?
Is there a special clause in an actors contract, that clears this up? Or, is it just kind of 'understood' ?

All JMO, but...

First of all, the difference between a rule and a law seems extremely relevant here. Breaking a law is criminal, and if the result of that law-breaking is someone's death--even if you didn't intend for that to happen-you're likely to be in criminal trouble. Failing to obey a safety regulation is negligent, and would be much less likely to result in criminal charges, I would think, though it can if the negligence is bad enough.

It isn't that actors are exempt from ordinary rules, which is why AB is likely civilly liable. It is that, contextually, it was a ton more reasonable for him to rely on the word and procedures of professionals who had been specifically hired for this purpose than it would be for the average person to accept his buddy's word.

All JMO, but...

First of all, the difference between a rule and a law seems extremely relevant here. Breaking a law is criminal, and if the result of that law-breaking is someone's death--even if you didn't intend for that to happen-you're likely to be in criminal trouble. Failing to obey a safety regulation is negligent, and would be much less likely to result in criminal charges, I would think, though it can if the negligence is bad enough.

It isn't that actors are exempt from ordinary rules, which is why AB is likely civilly liable. It is that, contextually, it was a ton more reasonable for him to rely on the word and procedures of professionals who had been specifically hired for this purpose than it would be for the average person to accept his buddy's word.

BBM
Thank you! That is where/ what I was wondering..I seriously doubt there was an ounce of criminal intent from AB. But, negligence? Yes

"You have to like look at the front of it and determine which one is the blank if it’s dummied up. That’s how I tell at least," she explained. "Every movie I’m learning new and new things — it’s all very quick."

This quote by HGR is troubling to me. If she only looks at the front of a revolver to see if it's loaded with dummy rounds for a close up shot, how does she know if the rounds have live primers in them? Live primers either mean live ammunition or improperly made dummy rounds like the one that killed Brandon Lee.

‘Rust’ film armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed faces eviction from Arizona landlady: ‘I want her out’

All the following is MOO

1. Live bullets showed up on set, where they should not be
2. Because of COVID, the normal protocol of the armorer checking the gun and verifying with the actor was not followed
3. AD hands the gun to the actor, and AD fired it, killing one and wounding another

The armorer is off scot free. She had no chain of custody from the time she put the gun on the cart until AB fired it. UNLESS she was the one using the gun for target practice and the live ammo can be traced to her.

The AD, he's in trouble. He didn't check the gun.

Baldwin is in trouble. He didn't check the gun and killed somebody.

Cops are out to find who was using the guns for target practice and why they did not empty the gun. Whomever this is has a lot of trouble coming their way.[
/]

Later part - Bolded by me

Yes. I want to know who had the bravado to “target practice “ with a gun on a cart for real people to interact with as a COLD gun
(the person in charge had PUT on the cart)

I’m waiting on the armorers statement.
I’m waiting for it to be revealed WHO put(and left )a live round in that gun to be used filming the next day.
Because THIS is the person who is responsible for a horrible chain of events. MOO

This quote by HGR is troubling to me. If she only looks at the front of a revolver to see if it's loaded with dummy rounds for a close up shot, how does she know if the rounds have live primers in them? Live primers either mean live ammunition or improperly made dummy rounds like the one that killed Brandon Lee.

‘Rust’ film armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed faces eviction from Arizona landlady: ‘I want her out’
Wow!
The Press has no mercy describing her home!
Sorry, but it made me giggle.

The gun that killed “Rust” cinematographer Halyna Hutchins last Thursday was used by crew members that morning for live-ammunition target practice,
A number of crew members had taken prop guns from the New Mexico set of the indie Western — including the gun that killed Hutchins — to go “plinking,” a hobby in which people shoot at beer cans with live ammunition to pass the time, the insider said.
Gun in Fatal Rust Shooting Used in Target Practice that Morning

I'm not sure if a sloppy home equals sloppy work habits for everyone but maybe it does in this case. JMO.
Maybe, dunno.
Long time ago when I moved to the US, I was looking for a primary physician. When I was looking at open houses for sale, by chance one belonged to one of the female docs I was considering. The house, especially the bathroom was a mess and filthy. Yikes. Needless to say I did not choose that doc.
Anyway, re: HGR's home, I wonder whether authorities are checking it out, how she stored her own guns, whether she liked to shoot things in that "backyard" etc.

Last edited:
Opinion of Alan Dershowitz, professor emeritus for Harvard Law School:

It is likely, therefore, that the killing of Halyna Hutchins could constitute a homicide — that is, a criminal killing. The remaining questions are who might be criminally responsible for the killing and what degree of homicide fits the evidence?

“At this point in time, everyone must be presumed innocent. But it does not follow from the presumption of innocence that anyone is immune from rigorous investigation. It seems clear that Alec Baldwin was not aware that he was firing a gun capable of expelling a lethal projectile. But his role reportedly was not limited to passively being an actor; he may have had some responsibility as one of several producers of the film. The nature of the role of producers varies from film to film, and it is unlikely that Baldwin’s role included responsibility for set safety. But some may think that it was not simply enough for him to accept the word of an assistant director about the gun’s safety, that he perhaps should have independently inspected the gun before firing it. It is unlikely, however, that such an omission would result in criminal responsibility.

Others on the set almost certainly bore greater responsibility, and their roles should be investigated, their responsibilities pinpointed. Before anyone is charged with a crime, there must be evidence beyond a reasonable doubt of individual criminal culpability. Just because there was a crime, it does not necessarily follow that there is enough evidence to charge any particular individual.”

Is the Alec Baldwin shooting a homicide?

All the following is MOO

2. Because of COVID, the normal protocol of the armorer checking the gun and verifying with the actor was not followed
3. AD hands the gun to the actor, and AD fired it, killing one and wounding another

The armorer is off scot free. She had no chain of custody from the time she put the gun on the cart until AB fired it. UNLESS she was the one using the gun for target practice and the live ammo can be traced to her.

Cops are out to find who was using the guns for target practice and why they did not empty the gun. Whomever this is has a lot of trouble coming their way.

Disagree with the armorer is off scot free due to chain of custody. So.. if she sets up weapons on a cart, then walks away, are the guns then freely accessible to anyone?

I have a hard time believing she is not responsible for firearms on set until they are put away safely at the end of the day.

Disagree with the armorer is off scot free due to chain of custody. So.. if she sets up weapons on a cart, then walks away, are the guns then freely accessible to anyone?

I have a hard time believing she is not responsible for firearms on set until they are put away safely at the end of the day.
Armorer should be responsible for the guns on the set. If guns are not in use, they should be locked up (not used for target practice).

All the following is MOO

Cops are out to find who was using the guns for target practice and why they did not empty the gun. Whomever this is has a lot of trouble coming their way.

Sorry, I completely disagree.

Your point #2---I am rigorous about Covid safety, but that should not interfere with the armorer's protocol of checking the gun. Do it away from anyone, wear your mask, wipe down the gun but CHECK the gun. Being Covid safe doesn't mean a hot gun won't fire.

Your point about the armorer is off scot free--- you mention, "from the time she put the gun on the cart" she didn't have chain of custody. But IMO clearly the gun she put on the cart was a loaded gun. If it's not her job to check it, then why is she the armorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm