Anna Christian Waters (Missing 1/16/1973 from Half Moon Bay, CA)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
would it be ok if i used the picture of brody and posted it in like a few message boards dealing with loved ones or like the genological ones and asked anyone if they know who this man is or have you seen him? im thinking someone might recognize him and be able to tell us who he really is. i wont do it unless i get some sort of permission from the family

smile22 said:
would it be ok if i used the picture of brody and posted it in like a few message boards dealing with loved ones or like the genological ones and asked anyone if they know who this man is or have you seen him? im thinking someone might recognize him and be able to tell us who he really is. i wont do it unless i get some sort of permission from the family
I am not a member of Anna's family, but I am the one who originally posted the picture. Go for it - the more we know about Brody, the closer I feel that we will be to finding Anna.

You know when a bank closes out a safe deposit box due to abandonment, they have to turn those items over to the state. I suppose that Brody and Waters names have been run at unclaimed funds?

mysteriew said:
You know when a bank closes out a safe deposit box due to abandonment, they have to turn those items over to the state. I suppose that Brody and Waters names have been run at unclaimed funds?
Yes. One box from Brody was discovered from Oakland. Unfortunately, all personal papers are destroyed when the contents revert to the state. All that is left is approximately $17,000 in cash which can only be claimed by an heir.

No boxes were found for Waters beyond the inital box that Annasmom and Joe Ford discovered shortly after Waters's death. Nothing of value to the investigation was found there.

well the reason I am asking is because you had stated in your previouse post that michelle went missing approx 2 weeks before she was found deceased and that they assumed that she had died from drowning in a puddle on the road, thats sounds odd, I mean if a child is reported missing and 2 weeks later is found dead there should have been an investigation, the second thing is then we have another little six year old, anna, that goes to the same kindergarten class and she dissapears without a trace and again there is not one nieghbor questioned am I the only one that is confused by this? here is what I am saying Example: in 2003 Sacremento county had approx 88,000 children out of those 88,000 children only one child died that year from abuse, neglect or suspiciouse circumstances...in that very rural area where anna and her family and michelle and her family lived I am assuming that there were not 88,000 children and 2 children within the same year came up missing one deceased. and this was back in 1973 and it just bewilders me that the it didn't raise any red flags to the police.
Annasmom said:
Sorry, Mel, I don't know anything about Michelle except what I read in the newspaper and the fact that she was in Anna's kindergarten class.

I agree, Mel... it is more than bewildering. The very fact that no neighbors on Purissima Creek Rd. were questioned by the police leaves my jaw open and my hands pounding on the desk in anger. The incompetency is almost too much to fathom. And I'm not suggesting in any fashion that any of the neighbors were involved... just that someone might have seen something unusual that day, or in the days preceding, and could have offered valued information to the police.

Annasmom, do you have any connections or friends at a local (or San Francisco) TV station? On tonight's 5:00 news, the Ch. 8 (ABC) station ran a piece on a missing child from 35 years ago... Melissa Highsmith (I hope that's the right name). She's featured here on the same forum as Anna. The police showed her picture from around the time she was kidnapped and said they hoped someone might remember her... or might recall seeing a similar picture of Melissa after she was kidnapped. That case is 2 years older than this case, so maybe someone in your local area would be willing to do a piece, too. They showed her picture at 21 mos. (the age at which she was kidnapped), an age progression picture of her, and a composite drawing of what the kidnapper looked like.

mel36 said:
well the reason I am asking is because you had stated in your previouse post that michelle went missing approx 2 weeks before she was found deceased and that they assumed that she had died from drowning in a puddle on the road, thats sounds odd, I mean if a child is reported missing and 2 weeks later is found dead there should have been an investigation, the second thing is then we have another little six year old, anna, that goes to the same kindergarten class and she dissapears without a trace and again there is not one nieghbor questioned am I the only one that is confused by this? here is what I am saying Example: in 2003 Sacremento county had approx 88,000 children out of those 88,000 children only one child died that year from abuse, neglect or suspiciouse circumstances...in that very rural area where anna and her family and michelle and her family lived I am assuming that there were not 88,000 children and 2 children within the same year came up missing one deceased. and this was back in 1973 and it just bewilders me that the it didn't raise any red flags to the police.
This is a very good observation. The odds of two events like this occuring in such a small sampling are pretty slim. If Anna's kindergarten class had thirty children, this means that over 9% of the children went missing during that school year.

One explaination of the lack of LE followup on these cases: The western edge of San Mateo County that borders the Pacific Ocean is known as the Coastside to locals. In the mid-seventies, the area had maybe 20,000 people living in the area (this may be overstated). It has always been the "poor step-child" of San Mateo county - the eastern half of the county has 100,000's of people.

The Coastside at any particular time would have one Sheriff's patrol car with two officers in it to cover the entire area. The Half Moon Bay Police department may have had at most three vehicles in the incorporated city limits operating (where probably half of the local population lived). Crime of a large magnitude was rare - so much so that the local police used Ford Mavericks as patrol cars (certainly not designed for "hot pursuits"). Top off this mix with one California Highway Patrol car that may or may not be in the area at any particular time and you can see that a large area of land was being patrolled by a very small number of LE. And Anna's family lived in perhaps one of the most sparsely populated areas of what is a sparsely populated region.

well I did a little digging and found out that michelle is listed as josephin m gillespie born 11/13/66 and died 11/25/73 anna went missing on 1/16/73 annas mom mentioned that michelle went missing approx 2 weeks before that. these dates are extremely close together and I am curiouse now as to how far apart michelles house was in relation to annas house and the ranch, I would also like to know where michelle was found in relation to all these residences I think it may be very important to finding out what happened to anna. I don't think I would be digging so much in this direction if I knew for certain that michelle was say hit by a car and it was a true accident but we are not really sure and I don't want to leave any stone unturned.

I don't suppose anybody from the Half Moon Bay area knows this man, do they? He's a sex offender living in Half Moon Bay and from his picture he looks like he could have been old enough to be an offender in 1973. The address listed is his current address... no telling if he lived in HMB at the time, or where he lived at that time.

BULOSAN, REYNALDO LUDIVIROSource of Information: CA State Sex Offender Registry Convictions:
288(a) - LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH CHILD UNDER 14 YEARS
Home Address335 CHESTERFIELD AVENUE HALF MOON BAY, CA 94019Distance: 3.03 miles

mel36 said:
well I did a little digging and found out that michelle is listed as josephin m gillespie born 11/13/66 and died 11/25/73 anna went missing on 1/16/73 annas mom mentioned that michelle went missing approx 2 weeks before that. these dates are extremely close together and I am curiouse now as to how far apart michelles house was in relation to annas house and the ranch, I would also like to know where michelle was found in relation to all these residences I think it may be very important to finding out what happened to anna. I don't think I would be digging so much in this direction if I knew for certain that michelle was say hit by a car and it was a true accident but we are not really sure and I don't want to leave any stone unturned.
Ahhhh Anna disappeared before Michelle died. I didn't get that before. I now think its unlikely that someone might have stolen Michelle's identity.

Dr. Doogie said:
I am not a member of Anna's family, but I am the one who originally posted the picture. Go for it - the more we know about Brody, the closer I feel that we will be to finding Anna.
Doogie, I consider you part of our family, and I vote for putting that picture out wherever possible.

mel36 said:
I'm sorry I can't be of more help here. I did get a note from Michelle's parents, which must mean that I wrote them. There was no return address on it, and I don't know whether they live in the area now. I do recall that her mother said she "was on her way home and in sight of the house". It was considered an accidental drowning, I recall, and I'm sure the parents would have pressed for more information had there been any sign of foul play.

I have been thinking about how two young girls from one kindergarten class would have bad things happen to them within a one-year period and am reminded of a completely unrelated series of events that happened in Half Moon Bay 2-3 years later.

During the school year that started September 1975 and ended June 1976, at least four students attending HMB High School either attempted or succeeded in committing suicide. This is in a school that the total student body numbered around 800. One student shot himself next to a pond and his body was not found until the following summer when the waters had receded (it had been assumed that he had ran away until his body was discovered). Another student shot himself dead during class with a handgun that he had snuck into school in his lunch bag. A drama student hung himself on stage hours before opening night for a play that he was involved in (unsuccessful attempt). I do not recall the details of the fourth suicide attempt other than it occured on campus and was by a female student who was unsuccessful. Needless to say, the school district had suicide counselors crawling the campus, actually pulling students into private meetings if they looked the slightest bit "depressed".

I memtion this not because of any direct bearing on Anna's case, but to demonstrate that streaks of bad things can occur among a relatively small sampling that do not indicate larger trends - probably over a ten year period including this one awful year, the suicide rate was comparable to similar demographic samples. However, based on this one year, one would conclude that HMB was the world capital of teenage suicide.

Dr. Doogie said:
I have been thinking about how two young girls from one kindergarten class would have bad things happen to them within a one-year period and am reminded of a completely unrelated series of events that happened in Half Moon Bay 2-3 years later.

During the school year that started September 1975 and ended June 1976, at least four students attending HMB High School either attempted or succeeded in committing suicide. This is in a school that the total student body numbered around 800. One student shot himself next to a pond and his body was not found until the following summer when the waters had receded (it had been assumed that he had ran away until his body was discovered). Another student shot himself dead during class with a handgun that he had snuck into school in his lunch bag. A drama student hung himself on stage hours before opening night for a play that he was involved in (unsuccessful attempt). I do not recall the details of the fourth suicide attempt other than it occured on campus and was by a female student who was unsuccessful. Needless to say, the school district had suicide counselors crawling the campus, actually pulling students into private meetings if they looked the slightest bit "depressed".

I memtion this not because of any direct bearing on Anna's case, but to demonstrate that streaks of bad things can occur among a relatively small sampling that do not indicate larger trends - probably over a ten year period including this one awful year, the suicide rate was comparable to similar demographic samples. However, based on this one year, one would conclude that HMB was the world capital of teenage suicide.
I think the suicide thing is pretty common in numbers like that though. It's a copycat thing. The age group is ripe for depression too.

Annasmom said:
I'm sorry I can't be of more help here. I did get a note from Michelle's parents, which must mean that I wrote them. There was no return address on it, and I don't know whether they live in the area now. I do recall that her mother said she "was on her way home and in sight of the house". It was considered an accidental drowning, I recall, and I'm sure the parents would have pressed for more information had there been any sign of foul play.

The whole thing kind of smells a little to me.
First, the "puddle" was in the road right? As far as we know the child didn't have any medical problems, that might result in her falling and not being able to get up? So how deep was this "puddle"? How could a 6 year old fall into a "puddle" and not be able to pick herself up?
If they had said she fell into a drainage ditch, then I might understand. But a "puddle"?
Also, she was found on a roadway. Where would there be a road that didn't have any traffic on in the two weeks between the time she disappeared and the time she was found. I am assuming of course, that she was actually on the roadway. More info on her death could prove to be interesting. No matter what kind of search the sheriff's dept did, most family and neighbors would have been looking in the area, either actively looking or be being alert while driving. I wonder how far away from her home she was found.

safetydepositkeys.jpg

Annasmom and Joe Ford, I hope you don't mind that I've posted copies of the keys. I notice there is a "Sargent" Somebody from Rochester NY that has signed the picture. Sargent is spelled incorrectly for a title or position so I don't want to assume it's a member of LE instead of a first name. Is GB from NY? Was this pic in evidence in NY?

I was a friend and classmate of Anna's and we shared the same birthdate and were both born in San Francisco. I can remember the day our teacher told us that Anna had "disappeared." I have no memory, sadly, of Michelle Gillespie or the other classmate who perished along with her brother in a house fire. The only one I remember is Anna, her curly hair, her smile and her laughter, she was fun. I have learned more about her disappearance through this forum than I ever knew. My mother was the afternoon kindergarten teacher and Anna and I went to the morning kindergarten with Mrs. Rafello. Both my mom and Mrs. Rafello have ALWAYS believed that Anna was abducted.

There was a comment about a sex offender living at 335 Chesterfield which is so creepy because for 10 years my sister and her husband, a former HMB police sergant lived at 348 Chesterfield. I will have to ask my brother-in-law.

When I think back to kindergarten I recall that I only lived six blocks from the school and I walked home everyday after school by myself. Unbelievable. I don't recall any classmate named Brandy or anyone that we played with named Brandy. I'll ask my Mom.

Hi Annasmom. Thank you for opening your heart. I hope that this forum helps to bring Anna home to your arms. Dr. Doogie, you're amazing.

Annasfriend

smile22 said:
now the old branch is that still around like is the place still open for business or did it close down? and what did they do with the contents of all the boxes did customers have to come in and remove the items and then transfer them to a new box? or did the bank do that? also is their a way to gain access to the deposit boxes by name? or did brody have the boxes listed in some other name and you would need like court orders to get the boxes opened?
I don't know about the branch specifically, as to if it is still around.

When banks move they move the boxes. Rather, they have the company doing the new/or moving the vault move them. They move the frame - or install a new one and the boxes themselves aren't opened. Normally, the actual metal box that the customer takes into a private room/booth, is just moved and put from the spot with their number to the new spot with the same number. Generally, the lock will be removed and put in the new one if need be and the customer would just use the same key in the new location. The bank locks the boxes back in place. This is all done under bank guards or sometimes police (in a small town)

After X period of time, with non payment, the box is considered abandoned and turned over to the state. Otherwise a court order is needed. Sometimes people will pay for the box rent for many years at a time - and they could be dead or gone a long time before the box rent is past due.

Welcome! We have been waiting for you! I am also a childhood friend of a murdered child. It was the summer after 2nd grade. I still remember her vividly too. I think it was the trauma that makes our friends remain in our minds. I recently was able to find out details of my friend's murder, and it was hard. As a child you aren't told everything. I am glad for it. I am so glad you have come here. The more people putting their heads together, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214