GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone acquainted with one of her family members?? (Brainstorming)

Thanks for posting that Marple. Geez her husband is at his wits end. Poor guy is trying so hard to stay positive.

The husband sounds very sincere and scared out of his mind. I found it heartbreaking to read about him out searching for her on his horse.

I am surprised he is out searching. I thought maybe LE would be with him at home in case he gets a phone call or another text. It seems that is the protocol in these situations a lot. I am in no way casting doubt on the husband. Maybe LE doesn't think there will be a call for a ransom.

If this is a targeted attack with sexual assault being the motive, I would guess this person has done something like this before, especially if he is an organized perp...surely there is evidence somewhere of something similar happening? I'm not finding anything yet, though...so maybe the perp is not from this area? Might be worth to check and see if there are any similar crimes in bordering states?

The texts are very odd.

Her husband said he received a text from his wife around 1 a.m. Friday but that it didn't sound like her at all.

"All of a sudden I received three texts in a row. One said 'Yes.'… Then she sent another text that said, 'My phone's low. The battery's down, and I'll call you whenever I get signal.' …And, then, straight back-to-back, I received a text that said 'Oh, I'm out drinking with some friends,'" he recited. "Beverly's not a drinker…

Interesting texts. I don't believe for a minute she wrote those - they are bizarre. My guess is, "whenever" is a huge red flag. People who know that's incorrect don't use it - you can so often tell a fraud by grammatical errors or misspellings.

If my grammar teachers saw my texts, they would have held me back! My texts are typically quick and to get a point across...many times with incorrect grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. In addition, being from the south, I use whoever, whenever, and whatever quite frequently in general discussions.

But I do agree with you...that the abductor is most likely no rocket scientist. Not many are. The thing that stands out to me with the texts is the part where it says that the battery is down...will call whenever there is a signal. That just doesn't make sense. Why not call at that moment before the battery dies? Clearly there was a signal to send a text. So we know the person texting is not the sharpest tool in the shed. And did the husband send a reply or call her phone immediately after getting the messages? If so, did it go to VM?

I still don't understand the motive here. Why take BC? We know it's not for robbery. Why her?

MOO

Beverly lives on Lower Steele Bend, which is about three miles south of Old River Rd. It's really just a few minutes or so to get there. You have to understand that to people who live in Scott, that is "in the neighborhood", just around the corner. Because of that she may have let her guard down a bit.

Interesting texts. I don't believe for a minute she wrote those - they are bizarre. My guess is, "whenever" is a huge red flag. People who know that's incorrect don't use it - you can so often tell a fraud by grammatical errors or misspellings.

I agree. I am glad that she and her husband text enough so that he knows her writing/texting style.

My husband texted me a few weeks ago and I knew within 2 texts that it wasn't him. I also knew it was my daughter by the 3rd text because of the way a certain answer was phrased. After following some of these cases, I am actually very grateful that I can recognize both of their patterns.

BBM:

The texts are very odd.

Her husband said he received a text from his wife around 1 a.m. Friday but that it didn't sound like her at all.

"All of a sudden I received three texts in a row. One said 'Yes.'… Then she sent another text that said, 'My phone's low. The battery's down, and I'll call you whenever I get signal.' …And, then, straight back-to-back, I received a text that said 'Oh, I'm out drinking with some friends,'" he recited. "Beverly's not a drinker…

If my grammar teachers saw my texts, they would have held me back! My texts are typically quick and to get a point across...many times with incorrect grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. In addition, being from the south, I use whoever, whenever, and whatever quite frequently in general discussions.

But I do agree with you...that the abductor is most likely no rocket scientist. Not many are. The thing that stands out to me with the texts is the part where it says that the battery is down...will call whenever there is a signal. That just doesn't make sense. Why not call at that moment before the battery dies? Clearly there was a signal to send a text. So we know the person texting is not the sharpest tool in the shed. And did the husband send a reply or call her phone immediately after getting the messages? If so, did it go to VM?

I still don't understand the motive here. Why take BC? We know it's not for robbery. Why her?

MOO

1:00 am---this could be significant---at this point was he finished with his crime? Or still in the process (en route)?

I agree. I am glad that she and her husband text enough so that he knows her writing/texting style.

My husband texted me a few weeks ago and I knew within 2 texts that it wasn't him. I also knew it was my daughter by the 3rd text because of the way a certain answer was phrased. After following some of these cases, I am actually very grateful that I can recognize both of their patterns.

(O/T, I was texting with what I thought was one of my little student's mom's...it turned out to be my student, lol....I was like, "Is this mom drunk?", lol)

How long has the house been vacant? Has that house had any recent work done on it? When? By whom?

09/26/14
Listing removed
$251,000
Source:
Mason and Company
$/sqft:
$60
09/18/14
Price change
$251,000-5.2%
Source:
Mason and Company
$/sqft:
$60
08/17/14
Listed for sale
$264,900+11.6%
Source:
Mason and Company
$/sqft:
$63
07/15/14
Sold: Foreclosed to lender
$237,289-11.8%
Source:
Public Record
$/sqft:
$57
12/13/13
Listing removed
$269,000
Source:
The Property Group
$/sqft:
$64
09/29/13
Price change
$269,000-3.6%
Source:
The Property Group
$/sqft:
$64
08/15/13
Price change
$279,000-3.5%
Source:
The Property Group
$/sqft:
$67
07/18/13
Price change
$289,000-3.3%
Source:
Charlotte John Company
$/sqft:
$69
06/26/13
Listed for sale
$299,000+19.6%
Source:
Charlotte John Company
$/sqft:
$72
08/30/10
Sold
$250,000-16.4%

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/14202-Old-River-Dr-Scott-AR-72142/267986_zpid/

It was sold in 2010 by Susan Desselle http://www.zillow.com/profile/Susan-Desselle/

Is she being held alive somewhere? Is she deceased? Where are you Beverly, we're trying to help find you!

BBM:

1:00 am---this could be significant---at this point was he finished with his crime? Or still in the process (en route)?

I think he was finished and texting to feel things out and to get a response and to also locate the phone away from the real crime scene...just musings on my part.

I would say she would be more likely to been have abducted by boat. So, where does this body of water lead to?

FWIW, the property (14202) has no dock altho it is LAKEfront. A bayou meanders (somewhat NE towards Scott Bayou) from Old River Lake to Horseshoe Lake.

This just doesn't sound right ( at all) . This sounds like a bunch of kids who got a hold of the cell phone. There is nothing to say it was with her in the first place. You think this is a crime for the cell phone? Was it the newest I-6, I wander?

I think he was finished and texting to feel things out and to get a response and to also locate the phone away from the real crime scene...just musings on my part.
Jumping off your post, so if this is the case, she might be in the opposite direction from where her phone pinged? :thinking:

This would mean the perp would be smart (or experienced) enough to be aware of pings...

This hits so close to home. My parents have a farm about 15 minutes away and we drive passed that neighborhood on the way. This is the COUN-TRY. Surveillance video is non-existent. Assuming a burner phone was used...hopefully the FBI will get involved

"All of a sudden I received three texts in a row. One said 'Yes.'… Then she sent another text that said, 'My phone's low. The battery's down, and I'll call you whenever I get signal.' …And, then, straight back-to-back, I received a text that said 'Oh, I'm out drinking with some friends,'" he recited. "Beverly's not a drinker…"

It seems to me that if the perp was trying to keep the husband from being alerted that she was in danger they would have sent the texts earlier, the fact that they were sent at 1AM is a major red flag.

Apparently the "yes" was a reply to his text asking if everything was alright. That would have been sent by him hours earlier.

Also, which was it...the phone battery was low or they were out of signal range? Why state both? Is the area where the house is within her signal area? Would the texts have been written earlier in the evening but sent from an out of signal area and then auto sent when the phone was back in a signal area? The phone pings should be a major clue to LE, correct?

Another thing I find strange is that it seems to me that a person wanting to abduct someone from an area with other homes around them would have closed the door. Even if their hands were occupied with a struggling victim, it seems they would have known leaving a door open would potentially alert a passerby and closed it with their foot. Especially if going to the trouble of sending out fake texts.

Do realtors typically leave the front door open when showing the house? If I am to try get inside the brain of an abductor, it seems I would leave with my victim through a back door or attached garage, not a front door where I could be easily seen. Although, if it were dark I guess it would not be as much of an issue.

FWIW, the property (14202) has no dock altho it is LAKEfront. A bayou meanders (somewhat NE towards Scott Bayou) from Old River Lake to Horseshoe Lake.
So, it is old.. that is probably where I get the age factor. It was someone that is very familiar with this area. Or, that why I get the "retired feel" here.

But people in the country do have home surveillance. Maybe a home camera caught someone driving by at least.

This just doesn't sound right ( at all) . This sounds like a bunch of kids who got a hold of the cell phone. There is nothing to say it was with her in the first place. You think this is a crime for the cell phone? Was it the newest I-6, I wander?

Huh? Crime for the cell phone? Uh, no, I'm referring to the timeline, trying to possibly establish potential distance/time frame of events...I never said I thought it was her texting...

Re: it being a bunch of kids. I'm always first to speculate that a crime is potentially committed by a younger individual (Gabe Gaeta, etc.). FTR, I'm not getting that vibe on this one, since I would think Beverly would not go out on a serious work call if the potential buyer did not seem legit, old enough, jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm