AR AR - Cassie Compton, 15, Stuttgart, 14 Sept 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
STM indicated that the house was searched. IIRC Twinmom indicated that LE came and got things from the house.

Certainly these items could have been transitional items, but I still cant envision a scenario where it is more likely that the person who had a hand in this crime would drive in an area that was almost guaranteed to draw attention and dump items material to this disappearance rather than burning them or ditching them in a dumpster with no high likely hood of them being found kwim?

I'm still playing "devil's advocate" with you . . . Why would ANYONE go that far out to AVOID a trash bag or dumpster without a reason? Maybe these items were things that BR meant to go into the backyard fire before sirens interrupted? I don't think he realized how aware we are on our road. Who throws away an undamaged teddy bear unless there is bad karma attached? Sidebar: I just remembered we convicted a thief a few years ago who was dumb enough to go throw a stolen rifle off the bridge when he realized he didn't have the clip, too. It was stored separately by a responsible gun owner. He didn't know there wasn't a road back out from where he drove.

With sporadic or nonexistent internet access, my next question would be, "Did Cassie log in from the local library for her assignments?" When was she last seen there?
i get the feeling she was really cut off from things for a reason.

Good question! As there is a teen library group which has at least two homeschool families (5 children I can identify) in attendance. They occasionally have the picture in the paper for special events such as movie nights, but I have never seen Cassie a part of them.

yeah charming, I might have asked about the library thing too, here I think...or at least if she was accessing computers at the library. And I would love to know what exactly it is Cassie did all day long if not at a school. Did she roam around places or what. there has been no mention what so ever what a typical day was like for her or that household.

and FWIW there is Mount Vernon AR about an hour & half to the NW of Stuttgart,and they have a high school. And I know sometimes people will start to write their school name on FB and pay no attention and just click something which is a same named school totally not theirs. SO I theorize he went to school IN Arkansas.

Were the items found left on dry land, or thrown in the water that receded therefore leaving it on dry ground.

If it were the latter, could they have floated from up stream someplace?

Also, did you or your girls go through the items yourself or did LE inform you of what was inside?

Did you look around for any disturbed ground? Or do you feel that anything else could have been tossed into the water?

With sporadic or nonexistent internet access, my next question would be, "Did Cassie log in from the local library for her assignments?" When was she last seen there?
i get the feeling she was really cut off from things for a reason.

There are hundreds of homeschool curricula available, many which require no internet. There are all different price ranges- things can be found at rummage sales, given to the student, etc. So while I don't find the lack of internet concerning, I still doubt this child was being taught. I'm not in AR, so not 100% sure, but I think testing is required each year in AR for homeschoolers. Guessing they might not have been in compliance.

(Unrelated, but I do think many, many children (including my own) are taught very well in the home. Unfortunately, just like in the public schools, some slip through the cracks...Cassie may have been one of them.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the information regarding home schooling that I could find, sleuthers:
http://www.arkansased.org/divisions/learning-services/home-schools

From what I can see, home school students are subjected to standardized testing. If they dont take the mandatory tests, truancy laws apply.

6.00 TESTING REQUIRED – ACHIEVEMENT TESTS
6.01 Test administration of home school students shall be under the direction of the
education service cooperatives and the Pulaski County school districts. Achievement
testing will be held during the testing window identified by the Arkansas
Department of Education.
6.02 The education service cooperatives and Pulaski County school districts will ensure
that all test materials are secure before testing, between and following test
administration and provide the Arkansas Department of Education, for approval by
the Director, with a common set of procedures for test administration of home
school students in the required grade levels. These common set of procedures must
include security measures to ensure that appropriate testing conditions and protocol
have been followed as specified in the test administration materials.
6.03 Each student enrolled in home school who is considered to be in the required grades
or no more than two (2) years beyond the age appropriate grade will be tested by
using the State identified norm-referenced achievement test.
6.04 Parents/guardians or groups of home school parents/guardians requesting alternate
testing procedures, protocols, locations and/or timeframe must be submitted in
writing three (3) weeks prior to the testing window to the education service
cooperatives or the Pulaski County school districts and testing must remain within
the State identified testing dates. If approved, alternate testing procedure costs,
other than the testing materials, shall be the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
6.05 Alternate testing procedures and protocol will be arranged by the education service
cooperatives and Pulaski County school districts.
6.06 Requests from parent/guardian whose child(ren) cannot test on Saturdays due to
religious reasons will be accommodated. Parent/guardians must indicate in the
appropriate section at the time they file their Notice of Intent that their child(ren)
cannot test on Saturdays due to religious reasons.

Were the items found left on dry land, or thrown in the water that receded therefore leaving it on dry ground.

If it were the latter, could they have floated from up stream someplace?

Also, did you or your girls go through the items yourself or did LE inform you of what was inside?

Did you look around for any disturbed ground? Or do you feel that anything else could have been tossed into the water?

Not found on dry land. On the granite rocks used to shore up the bridge woodwork near pylons going into soil below water. Right at the very edge of the water that had had no more than 18 hours to recede. Not something that would float. We called seeing below from top of bridge. LE touched the bags first. Picked up the bear, tossed it aside. Picked up two panels of drapes to look for blood, then he left. We were baffled no paperwork or inventory was done. He didn't see the toiletries or shirts. Obviously, we weren't going to leave "trash" there. So neighbor got two black trash bags from their house, came back. One person delicately picked up things (I held bags open) in ordered layers while another lady took phone pics. Used sticks to lift when we could especially on the plastic bottle. The four panels had been folded individually, two per carry bag covering the other contents. They weren't rolled or wadded up. Neighbors stored the bags in locked building until FBI came back two days later. I did narrative for the FBI about circumstances. We had been stunned and thought it better to protect the evidence than to risk anyone else coming back or finding it later. I didn't want the responsibility of having the pictures on my phone. Neighbor tried to get a picture of the bear and leopard bag to JC through the inner circle of ladies, but we never heard back.

About disturbed ground, I am a genealogist very familiar with what you mean. I even know how to do the metal rod thing. Yes we looked, and also looked for human waste and fire char if someone had built a campfire to burn evidence. I talked about this with Klaas and referenced in the SAR thread that is now closed. KK mentioned most shallow graves are covered with rocks from the area, but we don't have rocks -- just dirt. KK said a perp might already be physically tired from moving a body and would not want to use the time or energy needed to dig a hole in dirt -- if they had a shovel available. So their best suggestion to continue looking for a grave would be to look for the most available heavy objects -- in our terrain, that would be heavy branches. We talked about how it could look like a beaver dam, especially if near water. I definitely paid attention to the wind direction in case we might smell decomposition after the rain. KK also noted to not look for a whole body if we have coyotes -- we do, especially on the freshwater creek.

One small creek is fresh water and has a lot more animal traffic than the bayou itself which has muddy water. So in addition to soil displacement in the woods, we looked for grass displacement and broken brush that was not part of the deer trails for another two weeks. I just did not sense the body was near me because I had not seen blood or drag tracks. For days, I went through thoughts of "how she could still be alive if drugged unconscious" versus "was she suffocated"? Oct. 11 /18? comment at search about how she might be transported from initial crime scene in multiple parts was striking. If she were tossed into the water, it would take the delivery of something heavy to keep her under. We haven't seen anything unusual floating above or on banks since.

bumping got4-is this the area where the bags were located? TIA. :)

Yep, my bridge! And that TupeloMZ horse picture was the Oct. 4 search that STARTED at the airport, but SOME teams proceeded on to Casscoe later in the day.

I feel like I need to reset every few pages, lol.

The things I am thinking about: I cant get a grasp on this poor girl. I know what she looks like, but I dont know who she is. There is a wealth of info we dont have which has to be completely unusual for a MP case. I mean, I have been involved in a fair number and I dont think I have seen such a lack of information. Did she like to sing, swim, dance, ride a bike, ride a scooter, party, watch cartoons...did she like stuffed animals? We dont even know how the scar occurred on her face. No firm last seen other than when she was dropped off, no firm clothing description...not the clothes she was wearing when she was dropped off and nothing solid regarding the clothing that was listed as "missing so she must have been wearing it." Not a clothing size, not a shoe size, not a picture or model number of her phone. No mention of dental records, old breaks, DNA on file...nothing. No real information on what she liked to do and where she liked to be.

Nothing.

I cant decide if I can invest my energy in a timeline that begins with JC's incomplete and inconsistent recollections regarding her daughter's arrival home that evening. I guess I will stick with the time line starting with when HS dropped her off. Which widens her whereabouts considerably. So *if* the Casscoe search was based on triangulated pings, I wish we knew whose phone and what time.

Mom says her overnight bag, purse, charger were in the house and she left with just her phone which may or may not have been operational. The possessions, as described by Mom in the media, would be easily verified and corroborated. TS/HS would have had perhaps a good idea of what she had with her, and presumably SPD left the house with the items described. They should match up.

UGH.

This case reminds me a little bit of Brooke Bennett...remember that one from Vermont? She was murdered by her Uncle. She was found in a shallow grave and pretty close by IIRC. I think in the woods as well.

Thank you so much for letting us pick your brain, got4 and for your candor!!

For our fellow sleuthers and locals, if you find yourself in a similar situation and you are determined to preserve evidence under extreme circumstances without the help of a professional, please first take a photo of the evidence where it lies. Make sure you dont touch, sneeze on or cough on the item(s) and only paper bags should be used to store. Plastic bags trap moisture and create an environment that obliterates DNA or bio fluid evidence. Quickly, in fact. No staples either-roll the top of the bag and tape with the date and time to preserve the chain of custody so that the evidence can be used if needed in the future.

(I double checked with Oriah on this one...I needed a refresher.)

Thank you so much for letting us pick your brain, got4 and for your candor!!

For our fellow sleuthers and locals, if you find yourself in a similar situation and you are determined to preserve evidence under extreme circumstances without the help of a professional, please first take a photo of the evidence where it lies. Make sure you dont touch, sneeze on or cough on the item(s) and only paper bags should be used to store. Plastic bags trap moisture and create an environment that obliterates DNA or bio fluid evidence. Quickly, in fact. No staples either-roll the top of the bag and tape with the date and time to preserve the chain of custody so that the evidence can be used if needed in the future.

(I double checked with Oriah on this one...I needed a refresher.)

I appreciate learning how to help better. (We've only had a body and homicide evidence on our property one other time in my life! And they were in two separate places miles apart.) I would be glad to let LE would ask me and some other people with minimal info this many questions to help think deeper. I am to the point today of being rebellious, to post openly, if it helps anyone else also think of facts. Even since my last little rant, I've remembered another Klaas tip -- that most bodies are found within 5 miles of the last place person was seen alive. That's why the Casscoe search seems extreme without having someone referencing the pings. About Cassie's personality, I know she loves small dogs. Her FB cover photo is a dog. She has lost one or two in her past. There are currently three in the fence, the smallest of which can scale the fence and follow if she were being carried away on foot.

Got4
Did LE do a water search. I know you had said you were in boats looking. Thanks for being you.
I'm flustrated.

Got4
Did LE do a water search. I know you had said you were in boats looking. Thanks for being you.
I'm flustrated.

Boots, not boats :) Rubber boots. I know there was talk of ordering in equipment to dredge at a Casscoe reservoir one Monday, never heard that it actually happened. Thought about getting a relative to bring down their kayak during the holidays to go down King's Bayou, though. Way to much brush and vegetation on a big ditch. Can't walk it. That's near the main cemetery.

I am trying to catch up here so sorry if I missed this already but were the items found confirmed to be related to Cassie?

I am trying to catch up here so sorry if I missed this already but were the items found confirmed to be related to Cassie?

Have had no LE contact since items were taken other than I know Klaas arranged to put their dogs on items to sniff and around the site where found. Opportunity for visual confirmation if the leopard bag or teddy bear were recognized by JC or a friend, but never heard back on those either. It is distressing when LE releases no progress information publicly -- but that is their strategy for this case. Not like what you see on television! Closest thing to a press conference was briefing volunteer searchers early on Oct. 4. to say "recovery" instead of "rescue" mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876