AR - Fully-Armed Sheriffs Remove 7 Homeschool Children from 'Prepper' Family

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the 70-something HS chooses to guzzle Clorox or something similar, that's his right. But if he administers it to children- in whatever way- then it becomes something very different. At this time, we can't know what the state is investigating. We can be pretty sure it's not investigating what HS is doing to himself or his garden water.

If he administers anything to his children, it only becomes problematic if they get sick from it. MMS isn't an illegal substance. It is no different than anything else in a household.

JMO

We do not know what other allegations have been made against them, we only have HS's side that MMS "and other junk" are what the authorities are investigating. And OF COURSE if he has been abusing his kids he isn't likely to come out and say he has... The fact that these parents are christian, or preppies, or that they home school isn't the issue, there were allegations of abuse made, the state has found those allegations probable and serious enough to remove the children from the home. If this was a family with a long criminal history would you defend them? If this were a Muslim family? This is only about the families beliefs because the parents have made it so. Their beliefs are really not as uncommon in arkansas as everyone commenting on all of these sites would like to believe, I most certainly encounter more people with belief systems more similar to the Stanley's than not in my daily life.
If the state isn't allowed to take children from families who identify as christian in the state of arkansas, then pretty much 99% of the population will be immune lol.

Oh my, yes! Texas also has a large Christian population. Christianity is a major religion and not a particular denomination. Classified as Christian are: Catholics, Church of Christ, Latter Day Saints, and multitude of Protestant denominations such as Pentecostals, Episcopalians, Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists, First Christians (the faith which I was brought up in after my mom quit the Baptists), Presbyterians, and Baptists of a multitude of types. I have probably misspelled some and forgotten others. My point is, while I'll bet every single one of them have had members who have been investigated for child abuse, I don't know a single one of these that advocates child abuse. I say, that whatever the reasons for the investigation of the Stanley's parenting methods, being practicing Christians is surely not one of the problems.

By the way--paint and gasoline are both sold legally. That doesn't mean that you can feed them to your children.

Did the Stanley children have access to the MMS? I think authorities usually only get involved when a child becomes sick as a result of ingesting something toxic.

JMO

If he administers anything to his children, it only becomes problematic if they get sick from it. MMS isn't an illegal substance. It is no different than anything else in a household.

JMO

Not sure that is accurate. You got something (law? case?) to back that one up?

it is offensive that some continue to make this a moral argument involving religion when this is a case about alleged child abuse - nothing more - nothing less. The only thing that has made it a matter of religion is the parents and those who blindly believe the alleged abusers that they are being persecuted.

Did the Stanley children have access to the MMS? I think authorities usually only get involved when a child becomes sick as a result of ingesting something toxic.

JMO

I think it depends on what they know and how they found out. If a kid shows up at the ER and is sick from drinking gasoline that his parents gave him, there would very likely be a report and an investigation. If the family is isolated and giving their kids a shot of rum every night to put them to sleep, it is possible that DHS might never find out--hence no investigation (even though giving kids booze outside of specific religious rituals is specifically outlawed)--even if the kid's growth is stunted or other long-term ill health consequences.

I never suggested the state would provide private tutors. I also know that the real estate collapse had nothing to do with lowering property taxes. Per pupil spending continues to go up. In Hot Springs, it is much higher than the state average. I posted the link yesterday.

JMO

Actually, you did. Several times. Here is one quote, "The Stanley's do have every right to be upset the children are in public school. The state does have the resources to provide a tutor for the children. After all, one person has been their teacher and if two children are already in college, she's done something right.

JMO"

Actually, you did. Several times. Here is one quote, "The Stanley's do have every right to be upset the children are in public school. The state does have the resources to provide a tutor for the children. After all, one person has been their teacher and if two children are already in college, she's done something right.

JMO"

No I did not. Nowhere did I say "private tutor." I said "a tutor" and there is a difference.

JMO

I know for a fact that my local schools have no such tutors in public school, if the children are medically unable to actually attend school they are of course excused, and the parents are free to hire a tutor, the schools districts will however provide for speech, physical and occupational therapy for these children. I know of two different kids near me that are battling cancer and have followed their parents stories regarding all of these issues regarding their kids IEPs on Facebook. The focus is on getting the kids healthy enough to return to the classroom asap.

Different school districts handle home tutoring based on budget and statute. If a child has a broken leg and can't attend in our district, they can get home tutoring 2 to 3 times per week in core subject areas. States that have online school programs will assign students to the online school and the learning can be distance based. Some states will allow a child to enroll in another states online school program and pay the out of state tuition. My point is that it seems to be a district or state determination.

On another topic, students who are deemed unable to stay in school based on behaviors may be eligible for online school programs or city/town programs that meet a couple of hours per day. My district will do either if a student is suspended because no child should be exempted from an education.

No I did not. Nowhere did I say "private tutor." I said "a tutor" and there is a difference.

JMO

Really??? My dictionary defines tutor as "a teacher who gives individual instruction to a student; private teacher." You have stated repeatedly that you think the school district should provide a tutor to the children to keep them out of the evil secular schools. How is that not a private tutor?

There is a program in Arkansas that is called "Homebound" where a public school sends a teacher to a home weekly (or whatever schedule is deemed appropropriate) if a student is unable to attend school due to illness, etc. Is this what people are refering to when they say, tutor?

You are right, that was poorly worded and I apologize. I didn't mean it to be offensive I meant to point out the different standard that seems to be being applied by some people and some media who are blindly defending this family when they don't have all the facts, just because they are christian and haven't ever been in trouble with the law. Child abuse happens across socioeconomic, racial, and religious lines... There's not a magic "white christian homeschooling prepper" shield that protects kids from abuse....

Ok

Your own link makes that an idiotic statement. Arkansas prohibits consumption of alcohol by those under 21. No exemptions. So, you might very well find yourself in trouble if you were rubbing whiskey on your infants gums.

Or if you rubbed bleach -even if purchased legally for household purposes- on a baby's gums, or gave a child an enema with bleach. Anyone who believes that the so-called MMA is a wholesome product meant to be ingested in any fashion is either deluded or just refusing to face the truth. We don't know what the Stanleys are believed to have done with the MMA, but if they have forced it on their children, they are criminals. Would you force your child to ingest a cleaning product? Even washing a child's mouth out with soap is probably illegal, and I have known of southern parents/grandparents who did that when a child used bad words.

So even if a child doesn't get ill from being given alcohol- or bleach- it doesn't mean it was a good or legal thing to do. It just means that maybe the parent or caregiver got away with it.

Really??? My dictionary defines tutor as "a teacher who gives individual instruction to a student; private teacher." You have stated repeatedly that you think the school district should provide a tutor to the children to keep them out of the evil secular schools. How is that not a private tutor?

My dictionary also defines "private." The tutor would be paid by the public school district Arkansas does have an alternative educational program. Materials used would be the materials the parents already provide as part of the home schooling. Not sure why you keep twisting my words and it is the last time I will respond. I never used the phrase, "private tutor."

private
adjective pri·vate \ˈprī-vət\
belonging to one person or group : not public

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/private

It is the mission of the Alternative Education team to provide the foundation and support for districts, schools, administrators, and teachers to educate students who need a non-traditional learning environment. Through collaboration, guidance, and assessment of programs, the Alternative Education team works to ensure that students who require a non-traditional educational environment shall have opportunities to learn.

http://www.arkansased.org/divisions/learning-services/alternative-learning-environment

Exactly!!! They even arrested a woman who was drinking (two beers) and breastfeeding in conway arkansas a while back!!
And the sheriff was quoted as saying that MMS was not the only thing being investigated, the adult son who most definitely knows more than anyone commenting here states that he believes they should be investigated, that while their intent may be good that their parenting is questionable (paraphrasing so IMO) we are only getting the parents version of what has happened and there are not many people who when guilty of a crime especially when they would like to be portrayed as good upstanding Christians are going to admit publicly to abusing or endangering their kids IMO.

There is a program in Arkansas that is called "Homebound" where a public school sends a teacher to a home weekly (or whatever schedule is deemed appropropriate) if a student is unable to attend school due to illness, etc. Is this what people are refering to when they say, tutor?

Exactly. Thanks.

I'm not sure of the details, but I know that this isn't offered to every ?child/district? It may be that my local district is unaware of this program or that for some reason the two cancer stricken children I know didn't qualify, but I know that one of their mothers was quite vocal on FB about her son not receiving any home based education. And the other one homeschooled her child when he was unable to attend due to treatments.
The Stanley children do not have any disabilities however so I don't see how this program would apply to them.

ETA- I intended to quote fabvab's post but I'm apparently doing something wrong (only sometimes?)or my phone is too smart for me or something....

Also ETA: in my district we have no ALE, children sent to ALE are bussed to the next district over, ALE is like long term ISS, and is only used for children who have gotten into trouble at school, my nephew is currently In ALE because he was suspended one too many times this school year, it is an alternative to being expelled.

Who would report the parent if it is done in the privacy of the home and the infant isn't harmed by it. Did I say the baby was in possession of the alcohol? No.

JMO
Who would report? The other parent...a neighbor...the mother-in-law... One is not "allowed" to give an infant or child any potentially harmful substance, privacy of the home or not. Laws are in place to protect children, even from their own parents. How sad to think there are those who don't realize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1