Australia Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #9 *ARREST

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in the area and I remember a young woman's body being found, suspected homicide, in Dalziell Street, Maddington. The street is not far from Huntingdale - I've often walked from Maddington Station to Huntingdale. It's very quiet after dark, a few flats/apartments but mostly caravan/RV lots and the railway line. This was sometime between 1987 and 1993 - ( I was 11 so not sure of the precise year). I'm not sure this was ever solved. It may not be related, on the otherhand it may be. map.JPG

It's a bit of a leap, but theoretically, if you'd committed crimes with a white Commodore wagon (let's say he used his Telstra car) and a blue Datsun or Gemini, would it make sense to also privately own near-identical cars that you hadn't committed the crimes with? Then, when the police come calling and have forensics check over the car(s) there's nothing to be found. Just a thought.

I wonder why he'd have a worthless Gemini in poor condition sitting in the driveway for years.

attachment.php

I thought the car looked like a 200E Mercedes or similar myself.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 4.21.59 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 4.21.59 pm.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 288
A bit of Gosnells local knowledge... the bridge over the river that huntingdale kids would have to cross in order to get to school was known as "bog bridge" (because the river stunk so much in summer). Maybe he used to hang out here after school so that's how he got the nickname "bogsy".

In saying that, my GSHS year group had a guy nicknamed "bog" too.... but that's because he shat himself in class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean the one near Shipbourne Way/ Todd Place?

For someone with such an uncommon name there would appear I am told by other people who have looked little to no web presence of this individual, though is 1970 birth confirmed by ancestry, I am told maybe odd irish name(but no record of this name in existence aside from the poem) does anyone else not think this is bizarre?

Would be surprised if BE was with a non-anglo as suggested.
Why would it be surprising? Lots of his and his families friends seem to be aboriginal or from different countries.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I grew up in the area and I remember a young woman's body being found, suspected homicide, in Dalziell Street, Maddington. The street is not far from Huntingdale - I've often walked from Maddington Station to Huntingdale. It's very quiet after dark, a few flats/apartments but mostly caravan/RV lots and the railway line. This was sometime between 1987 and 1993 - ( I was 11 so not sure of the precise year). I'm not sure this was ever solved. It may not be related, on the otherhand it may be.
attachment.php

Can you remember anything else about this murder that may aide in digging up articles?

I know a few "odd" or "nerdy/uncool" guys that have foreign wives & girlfriends I think that foreign ladies can't quite pick up all the subtle personality traits of an odd western person as well as someone from our own culture can. Generalising of course on a couple of odd balls I know with foreign partners. Maybe BE couldn't get a girl like his victims.

I know a few "odd" or "nerdy/uncool" guys that have foreign wives & girlfriends I think that foreign ladies can't quite pick up all the subtle personality traits of an odd western person as well as someone from our own culture can. Generalising of course on a couple of odd balls I know with foreign partners. Maybe BE couldn't get a girl like his victims.

Exactly

And tbh,I'd be surprised if he had a girlfriend who looked like his victims did. I think he was attacking those as someone similar looking (probably in HS) rejected him and he couldnt get a girl like that so he took it out on innocent people

Why would it be surprising? Lots of his and his families friends seem to be aboriginal or from different countries.

And looking at his FB page likes, he follows quite a few aboriginal oriented pages.

Pure speculation but I would suspect that EC wasn’t living there when the house was sold. I’m trying to get my head around the timeline but house was purchased in ’91, rape/murders ’95-’97, house sold ’97, WCE membership with CG ’98, Kewdale house purchased ’00. If I were to guess, I’d say the breakdown of the relationship occurred in 1995 and EC moved out around then.

Is it known that they joined WCE collectively in 1998? Or is it possible that's how they met, both joining at the same time?

I’ve found this theory to be useful in explaining things. I call it the fragmented memory theory. https://psychopathyawareness.wordpr...t-forgotten-psychopaths-and-emotional-memory/ My understanding of it is that most of us have our cognitive recall pathways in the brain closely linked to emotional memory pathways. That’s why our strongest memories are of emotional events. With psycho/sociopaths their emotional experience is quite stunted; memories are organised differently and disconnected from emotion. It explains to me, the remorselessness and lack of conscience. For what is our sense of ‘self’ but a complex layer of memories creating a coherent narrative of ‘this is me’, ‘this is me in the world’ and this ‘this is right or wrong according to my idea of myself in the world’. A psycho/sociopath can still acknowledge right and wrong as ideas that are held by the society they live in but that are remote from themselves. It also explains the capacity for rage and violence. When their needs (sexual for example) aren’t met, the emotions come through unfiltered from a very primitive/primordial part of the brain – I’ve heard it referred to as the ‘reptilian brain’. It also explains, to me, how they are able to live with themselves. Firstly, there isn’t as much ‘self’ to live with and secondly their memory connection to the event is not as strong as it’d be in you and me. This might explain the need for trinkets and keepsakes too I suppose. Anyway…I’m an amateur psych only. But the subject makes for interesting reading.

When I studied for a Masters in Criminology it involved the studying of these psychological models that I actually found/find to be very narrow and, to me pretty useless in helping me delve into the criminal psyche.

Perhaps it was cos I didn't come from a psych background!

I find them lacking in depth. They seem hellbent on separating out the 'criminals' from the 'normal people' and I don't find this sort of modelling useful.

Nonetheless I have a shelf of textbooks that have very weird titles (such as Men Who Rape).

Indeed one of my greatest teachers was an SK who told me that when (they) were being interviewed regarding their crimes (they) felt they "knew a lot about the topic" but that the felt they" had not committed such horrible acts".

This thinking fits in with "dissociative modelling - which I do find useful.

Nevertheless some psych concepts are pretty useful - such as dehumanisation - which I think is something just everyone odes - in varying degrees under varying conditions.

I haven't met many violent offending/sexual predators that I would consider were devoid of conscience or remorse. Most of them are very plaqued sorts - and many don't sleep too well at night. Indeed there is a high suicide rate for very violent offenders. I've puddled about in the minds of many of WA's serious offenders and this is the first time "I've come out".

Most public discussions make my eyes just glaze over!! BUT - people do need to be better able to recognise "dangerousness" and behavioural markers etc. I do get really frustrated reading what people say in - like FB forums - but don't "come out" for fear of not being heard over the average persons thick walls of prejudice and at getting rocks thrown at me! Particularly as it's highly likely that I know the perp's inner workings pretty well

And regarding the death penalty; CB said to me, "if they want to punish us - keep us alive in our inner hells. Being dead is easy and the misery is over".

Many serious offenders are seriously relieved to get caught. BE may also be - but I suspect he's got so much he holds together in the outside world that he'll be stressing bout all that!. HAHA - if I found out I'll let ya's know ;-)

Boggs sounds pretty awful but still spelt differently to bog (slang for toilet)Boggsy makes me think it was more a friendly term.
This is where I think he got the name.
There is a famous baseball player from the USA called Wade Boggs-famous just as much for his alcohol drinking skills as his baseball playing it seems.
BE said on his yearbook he'd be in AA in future. More of his humour showing there.

Hasselhoff was also quite famous for one particular drunken vid..

I think very few people in Australia would've heard of Wade Boggs.
There is a tendency in Australia to add 'ie', 'y' or 'o' to nicknames. My money is on it having something to do with the toilets. At primary/ high school in the 80s/90s, there were a number of punishments teachers would mete out for minor offences. One was 'scab duty' - cleaning litter from the schoolyard during break - slightly more serious was 'bog duty' cleaning the toilets during the break. There was a certain amount of shame in having to do the latter. Perhaps Edwards was given 'bog duty' a number of times and the nickname stuck. I don't know if the punishment was handed out at Gosnells Senior High but it was at St Josephs/St Norberts where I went just a few suburbs away so it's not out of the question.

* What if he is genuinely mentally ill? He could well be schizophrenic - the voices told him to do it? And maybe he self-cured himself of it? Is that even possible? Well, according to quick Google search it is.

* What if he isn't mentally ill and pleads that way - he'll get to go off to some cushy psychiatric hospital for the rest of his days while those poor women and their friends and family continue to suffer.

* Genuinely mentally-ill people rarely commit serial rapes or murders as it requires an amount of rationality, pre-planning or connected thinking that is more difficult for them to achieve than it is for people without mental illness.

* The legal test in Australia for someone being mentally competent to stand trial is 'mens rea' as mentioned earlier. This has 2 parts - you must understand the consequences of rape/murder/whatever crime it was, and you must understand that it was wrong. This is a pretty stringent test, and doesn't correlate to many diagnoses, so very few people escape trial by claiming it.

* If you pass the mens rea test and are found guilty, but also have a diagnosed mental illness, it will be taken into account during sentencing. Psychiatric hospitals are not cushy though, since they often run on a shoestring budget with way more patients than they were set up for. They are spartan, with regimented medication schedules. I'm guessing too that the staff probably can't help a bit of bias and allocate more resources to the people who didn't commit crimes before they ended up in hospital.

* But obviously someone who commits crimes like this isn't mentally normal though either! Psychopathy, narcissism, borderline and avoidant issues are classed as "personality disorders". As in, it's not an illness, it's just how you are. So it won't cut much mustard with a judge or jury. The common feature is a lack of empathy for anyone but themselves. If you're interested, I can recommend the book "why-did-they-do-it--cheryl-critchley/prod97817" which uses Australian criminals with personality disorders as examples.

I think very few people in Australia would've heard of Wade Boggs.
There is a tendency in Australia to add 'ie', 'y' or 'o' to nicknames. My money is on it having something to do with the toilets. At primary/ high school in the 80s/90s, there were a number of punishments teachers would mete out for minor offences. One was 'scab duty' - cleaning litter from the schoolyard during break - slightly more serious was 'bog duty' cleaning the toilets during the break. There was a certain amount of shame in having to do the latter. Perhaps Edwards was given 'bog duty' a number of times and the nickname stuck. I don't know if the punishment was handed out at Gosnells Senior High but it was at St Josephs/St Norberts where I went just a few suburbs away so it's not out of the question.
Thanks
You are probably right there. Sounds like the most likely event

Admin Note: If you come across a post which you believe violates TOS, please use the ALERT feature to report the post. Just click the red and white triangle in the lower left corner of the post, explain the problem, then move on. Do not respond. Do not comment.

Contrary to what some believe, mods and admin do not have time to read each and every post, and certainly not in real time.

Bessie
WS Administrator

I thought the car looked like a 200E Mercedes or similar myself.

Plenty of men intend to do a car up one day and have it lying around the house, BE based on evidence is not that sort of guy. He'd much prefer to be at his PC.
The roof has been severely rusted and it doesn't not appear registered.
Why retain it, its worthless, well to us it is worthless but it may have some sentimental value to him.

Men invariably have a type. The type of girl your brother likes is not really relevant, I can attest to that.

I am willing to bet she is anglo-saxon of irish decent based on what I have seen from other people.

Hypothetically there is no web presence because of BRE being a creepy stalker type, or suspicions she may very well have had about him.
I am going to go out on an limb and say if you are in a relationship with this guy for long enough you are going to hear or see stuff that is unsettling.

Yes there is always the chance that he never once let his guard down around her but I doubt it.

Just thinking out loud here...

Given the Kimono at another crime scene, reports of non linked clothing at JR and CG sites, is it possible the CSK took items from the previous victim and left with the next victim. Seems odd, but may explain how the Kimono showed up at an unrelated scene, or do I need a lie down lol ;-)

Just catching up on the last 10 pages....EC is an interesting twist and the Post article wtf. Just hope BRE's lawyer doesn't create enough doubt given the numerous stuff-ups already reported, potentially more non reported. Swiss cheese rings a bell. Given he's guilty of course.

I clearly recall this case.....freaked me out back then.

Easy to see how the two said cars can be mistaken especially as it was eyewitnessed at night.

Many similar circumstances surrounding this case which could link to CSK IMO.

Can you remember anything else about this murder that may aide in digging up articles?

No, unfortunately not at all - just that she was early 20s. When I get back to work, I'll search for it in the newspaper library. I only thought of it today.

No, unfortunately not at all - just that she was early 20s. When I get back to work, I'll search for it in the newspaper library. I only thought of it today.
Thank you mate, I really appreciate it, I tried some search combinations using "murder" "suspected murder" "homocide" along with the full address and just suburb but this amounted to nothing other than recent articles about a stabbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshibee