Found Deceased Australia - Elisa Curry, 43, Aireys Inlet, Melbourne, 30 Sept 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was from the first article on this thread...

A MASSIVE search is underway for a Melbourne woman who went for a late-night run with her dog near the Great Ocean Road after the AFL grand final and hasn’t been seen since.

Police are searching for 42-year-old Elisa Curry, who they believe went for a run with her black labrador at 10.30pm on Saturday night in Aireys Inlet, on the coast south of Geelong.

They seemed pretty confident she went for a run that night. Why? Husband had a text from her saying she was going for one? One of the neighbours said she was going for one?

Then it changed to...

“We’re not actually convinced she did go for a run at this stage, there’s a lot of unknown in this inquiry,” Snr Sgt Wilby said.

http://https://www.3aw.com.au/mother-of-three-missing-on-victorias-surf-coast/

Why no longer convinced? If it was a text...they think it was someone else using her phone? One neighbours story didn't match the other? Sounds like they were initially (or still are?) receiving a lot of mixed information themselves which has led to mixed stories in the media.

Also, couple of questions...
I have zero idea of the area except for that bushy driveway in one of the articles...are the houses far apart?
Do we have an age of the kids? How many does she have?

Also, couple of questions...
I have zero idea of the area except for that bushy driveway in one of the articles...are the houses far apart?
Do we have an age of the kids? How many does she have?

Three kids aged 7 to 12 Grapey. I don't know much about the topography of Aireys, other than that there's a lot of dense scrub.

In the Herald Sun this evening:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/aireys-inlet-woman-elisa-curry-missing-after-run-with-black-labrador/news-story/d536644942a700774ace22805ab90ea6

Not much fresh detail there, is there?

In the same report, Inspector Peter Seel said he believed she disappeared after going for a run. He was saying if a person fell from a cliff they could be either dragged out to sea or become trapped under rocks; it would depend on where they fell. If onto rocks, the body could be caught within rocks under water.

I hope Elisa will be found early-on in the new seach, so that at the very least, her family will have answers.

[h=1]Missing Melbourne mother entered same-sex marriage debate before disappearance[/h]
Missing Melbourne mother Elisa Curry reportedly contacted a Victorian newspaper in the hours before she disappeared to express her views on the same-sex marriage debate.

Mrs Curry, 43, was last seen late on Saturday night after having dinner with a neighbour.
The Herald Sun is reporting Mrs Curry, 43, sent a text message to its Letters to the Editor section on Saturday afternoon.

“You should know what you are voting for before you cast your vote,” she purportedly wrote.

“Thank you John Howard for being forthright and honest in what has been a vicious campaign largely run by extremist.

“I love and respect gay people and they deserve better than this,” she said.
http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...doorknocking-neighbours-in-elisa-curry-search

Again, a more detailed (and coherent?) report from MSM:

Search for missing marathon mum enters its fifth day
SIMONE FOX KOOB
The Australian
12:00AM October 5, 2017

‘Police have been combing neighbouring properties to the Aireys Inlet holiday home of missing Melbourne woman Elisa Curry, searching under houses and in sheds, garages and caravans, as concerns for her welfare rise.

The 43-year-old mother of three was initially thought to have become lost or injured after going for a run late on Saturday or early on Sunday morning, with the search focused on parks, cliffs and the remote coastal trails the keen marathoner was known to frequent.

However, Victoria Police Inspector Peter Seel conceded yesterday that they were uncertain whether she went for a run at all.

“We’re keeping an open mind; it could be various reasons why she went missing,” he said, adding that the family was understandably worried and distressed.

“They don’t know what’s happened and we can’t give them the answers at the moment, and it’s sad.”

Ms Curry is understood to have spent the weekend at the holiday house while her husband, David, and their three children, aged seven to 12, stayed in Melbourne to go to the AFL Grand Final.

When Mr Curry arrived at Aireys Inlet on Sunday morning, his wife was not there and her phone and the family dog were missing. The dog, which has been known to escape the yard and wander, has since been located.

Police say Ms Curry was last seen the night before by a female neighbour who left the Currys’ Aireys Road home about 10pm, saying she appeared about to go to bed.’

‘Neighbour Bob Nelson, a retired lecturer who lives opposite the Currys, said police had searched his home and underneath his house, as well as the caravan and shed in the backyard.

“The police and SES were very thorough,” he said.

“The police yesterday said to me, ‘We don’t have a lead ... no leads’.

“We used to see the dog around a bit. It would get out a bit but come back on its own.”’

‘According to locals, surf conditions had been rough recently.

“If she was walking on the rocks, up comes a wave. Whoosh. Very dangerous,” one said.’

‘Inspector Seel said Mrs Curry was known to travel to Lorne, about 20km away, on her training runs.

“Once you get out of Aireys and into the Otways National Park, there are numerous tracks people use,” he said.

However, Inspector Seel said even searching all of the tracks was difficult.

“You could be 10ms from one of those tracks in thick bush and not see anybody,” he said.’

Read more at:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...y/news-story/9fa57edced5a05060d31c3a77f3096fb

Again, a more detailed (and coherent?) report from MSM:

Search for missing marathon mum enters its fifth day
SIMONE FOX KOOB
The Australian
12:00AM October 5, 2017

‘Police have been combing neighbouring properties to the Aireys Inlet holiday home of missing Melbourne woman Elisa Curry, searching under houses and in sheds, garages and caravans, as concerns for her welfare rise.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...y/news-story/9fa57edced5a05060d31c3a77f3096fb

RSBM

I just saw this article, too. They certainly have been doing very thorough neighbourhood searches.

Could be looking for a suicide victim, could be looking for a murder victim.

It reminds me somewhat of the searches for William Tyrrell. Looking close to home, searching the surrounding bushland, too. And in this case there are also the ocean and rugged coastline to take into consideration.

"Drones were also used."

:drumroll:OR.... her own husband!... ..... :eek:fftobed:

I'm with you Troops but my only hinge is his alibi. Was he in Melbourne watching the football and didn't leave there.
Also the total lack of emotion during the public plea raised my hackles.

Three kids aged 7 to 12 Grapey. I don't know much about the topography of Aireys, other than that there's a lot of dense scrub.

Looking at Google maps shows huge cliffs and at the other is the Great Ocean Road which can be quite busy with tourists. On Airey Street there is a bed & breakfast so possibly there could be a few strangers around.

Just jumping off your post, della .....

I just saw this replayed on morning TV news, where his face is presented on a larger scale. His eyes looked glistening wet and tinged with red. He had been crying. The monotone voice of a man keeping it together, doing something he wished he didn't have to do, but it was necessary. I am not seeing anything hinky with this presser.

In fact it reminded me a bit of Tom Meagher's appeal. And I didn't feel he had involvement either.
Please, feel free to jump off my post! Of course the husband is the obvious first suspect but I too remember being suss of Tom Meagher and feeling terrible when the real perp was identified. I hope in this case also that the husband didn't do it but statistically.... Anyway, let's hope she is found one way or another. The not knowing would be the hardest part.

‘Inspector Seel said Mrs Curry was known to travel to Lorne, about 20km away, on her training runs'.

How long would it take to run 40kms (20kms round trip) and I'm interested to know the time she was reported missing.

Husband arrived Sunday morning so IMO he'd wait the time needed for her to return, plus a bit more, ask neighbours, scout around etc before calling 000.

Not really, only slightly bigger blocks. You can see most houses from the street. There are a lot of trees/shrubs.

There are bigger properties around but not in this area/street

How long would it take to run 40kms (20kms round trip) and I'm interested to know the time she was reported missing.

Google maps says it would take 4 hours to WALK one way...

I'm not a runner so would you halve it if you ran? Or less?

I'm with you Troops but my only hinge is his alibi. Was he in Melbourne watching the football and didn't leave there.
Also the total lack of emotion during the public plea raised my hackles.

Maybe he wasn’t in SH with the kids overnight? Did he get to holiday house really late Saturday night after leaving the kids at home asleep and then back in time to wake them? That’s why I’m curious on the roads you’d use to get to and from. Before I go hunting, does anyone know if there are tolls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snakes. Spring's here, snakes are active. Those bush tracks cut through prime Brown and Tiger Snake habitat.
- bitten while going for a run
- need to get help urgently
- phone dead, no one around
- venom kicks in and makes you disorientated
- wander into bush, or off cliff accidentally.

e31d0f0c91acb0069b64832110c76173.jpg

Snakes
http://angair.org.au/knowledge-bank?id=418
Photo
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_snake

I find it odd that it took so long to find the dog.

He was found in a house known to the family - wouldn't the police have checked all the neighbouring houses that the family was familiar with? Why did they assume straight away something bad had happened?

Phone glitch
I used to turn my phone off overnight during the daylight savings switch. My old phone couldn't deal with it while still on. If you google "daylight savings phone glitch" you'll find plenty of examples.

Situation has improved but habits are embedded. Just a thought. Turn off phone for above reason. Get up and go for run forgetting to turn phone back on.
Snakes.

If only their dog could speak.
I wonder if anyone has taken the dog out walking, and let him/her lead the way.

The dog was found about 6pm on Monday in a neighbour’s backyard, safe but visibly distressed.
https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/missing-womans-dog-found-in-neighbours-backyard-ng-b88617284z

I also wonder why the dog didn't go home, but went to a neighbour's yard instead. Trying to seek help or comfort from someone other than family? Or was there too much action (searching/police) going on at the house, and the dog sought shelter elsewhere. The "visibly distressed" nature of the dog is key, to me.

I also wonder why the dog didn't go home, but went to a neighbour's yard instead. Trying to seek help or comfort from someone other than family? Or was there too much action (searching/police) going on at the house, and the dog sought shelter elsewhere. The "visibly distressed" nature of the dog is key, to me.

Agree.

I find it hard to believe the dog was in the neighbours yard the whole time. But I also don't believe it was wandering the neighbourhood while SES conducted their massive search.

If only their dog could speak.
I wonder if anyone has taken the dog out walking, and let him/her lead the way.

The dog was found about 6pm on Monday in a neighbour’s backyard, safe but visibly distressed.
https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/missing-womans-dog-found-in-neighbours-backyard-ng-b88617284z

I wondered when it was said that Elisa’s dog was found ‘uninjured but visibly distressed’ if they had him/her looked over by a vet. Soft tissue injuries are not that easy to detect by the untrained (bruises aren’t visible under fur) and companion animals are very stoic when it comes to physical pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018