GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went and had lunch with my sister today and we walked the path that Jill would have taken Saturday morning. Obviously Sydney Road is busy, very busy. The traffic barely slows there even late at night. There are dozens of bars, cafe's, restaurants and take away food places there. She would have walked past many people and cars. Then Hope Street is a bit industrial for about 100-200 metres. I can imagine at night it is a bit spooky but then you quickly come up to the Lux Foundry and the landscape changes entirely. Very yuppy. Brand new swish apartments, very upmarket, very well cared for and this would be where she lived (as there were many news crews out the front and back). There's certainly little chance of something having happened in Lux without someone there hearing or seeing something. There are lots of lights here too so I imagine it's quite well lit at night.
Hope St would be quite a popular little street for traffic I would think given that here are so many little terrace houses and apartments off it. You would be unlucky (even at that time of night) to be attacked or snatched from the street without a witness.
The walk from the bar to Lux was about 8-9 minutes. Walking at what I call 'Melbourne speed'. Reasonably brisk.
I don't find the area particularly scary. There are a few laneways to stay away from I suppose, but a predator would really have to either be incredibly lucky to find a person walking down the road alone and without cars to witness, or lying in wait down one of the driveways or laneways, knowing a person was coming.
The location where her bag was found wasn't throwing distance from Hope St, you would have to intentionally place the bag there in my opinion.
All MOO of course

Walk of the area.

Sorry for inserting :moo:. Back to lurking and praying Jill's family receives the answers they are looking for. I will leave it to the professionals in this case. :fence:

No no no! don't go! We need your help!

sometimes we get a little slap happy on these threads!

It reminds me of studying for very important finals... We can't get our minds off it... We want to be successful... We get tired and frustrated sometimes... And we get slap happy...

But we always place priority on finding a solution for the victim and their families!

and we know we need to work as a team!

I am so sorry if I offended...

that is truly not my intention at all!

:seeya:

with regards to the phone call...

I've been known to dial someone up when I'm walking somewhere that didn't feel safe at night, it made me feel safer to have someone on the other end of the line. That said, if there was anything/one specific that made me feel unsafe I would have mentioned it to the person I was calling.

With regards to the route home...
I'm from Sydney not Melbourne but I just stepped the whole route home through google earth. It seems like quite a long walk through a lot of areas with the type of shops that would be closed at night. I don't think I'd even feel safe going up Sydney Rd at 2am. The locals said that there is a bit of nightlife around then though so they'd have a better idea.
Do we know if Jill made this walk on her own often?

:welcome: Lionhound!

I wonder if she cut off the call with her brother because she received another call. Here's a scenario:

Talking to brother on the phone, sees another call pop up on the screen (presuming she had a smartphone as I am not sure how call waiting works with more basic phones), says very quickly to brother 'hold on' (or similar) and switches to other call. He presumes she has been cut off as there is 'dead air'. So he hangs up and tries to call her back but she doesn't answer because she is involved in a (heated?) conversation with someone else.

The person calling her (the brother) wouldn't be able to know if she was on another call if she had call waiting - it just rings as normal. This is all based on experience from conversations with my husband when he gets another call.

Anyway, just an option.

If she did cut her brother off, or going one step further, if she already answered a call before her brother called back (phone would still ring but eventually go through to message bank) the police will know that now, they have her records.

he explained in MSM that he felt she was worried, didn't want to wake his sick father, went downstairs to use the phone and the phone rang through to message bank - not straight to message bank.

He and the police have explained there is nothing unusual about the phone call. The girl was concerned about her father's health (he had had a stroke two weeks prior and she returned from Ireland to be with him then)

her brother has had every chance to say it was weird of her to call at that hour but never has.

Sorry, I didn't mean that I thought Jill's call to her brother was strange at all. I'm aware of her fathers ill health etc and totally get why she would phone her brother about this.

What to me is strange is the fact that he felt the need to try to phone her back after the conversation had ended - obviously he was concerned about her for some reason. Sorry if I wasn't clear! :)

The complete news article can be found here at the link below, but this is part of it.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/m...tv-vision-of-jill-meagher-20120924-26gku.html

Police have discovered the presence of a mystery man in CCTV footage of Jill Meagher as she walked home before her disappearance on Saturday morning.

This morning, police confirmed that CCTV footage will be examined frame-by-frame to determine whether the man was following the ABC employee in the minutes before she disappeared.

At present, police are trying to identify the man. A decision will be made later this morning as to whether CCTV footage, which shows Meagher walking north along Sydney Road, Brunswick, just south of Hope Street, at 1.41am, will be released to the public.

How good are the Victorian Police? I am now thinking that they are just following everything, so taking things from the apartment / car shows thoroughness rather than a strong suspicion of TM at this state.

Hats off to them I say. And just quietly .. this case is just so damn unfair, as all such cases are.

I find it really odd that no one has come forward to say they heard something that night- a yell, a screech of tires... Anything. The person in the turkish restaurant who reported a scream- do we know if that has been confirmed? I haven't seen it referenced in the msm articles.

Oh and on the 'walking down Sydney Road' thing. I've walked it laaaaaate at night a few times myself on trips to Melbourne town, and it's busy, so I can well imagine as a local she felt completely safe in walking back home. See nothing sinister in going out without the hubby either - sign of a healthy relationship really that they were happy to do things independent of each other :)

Spot on Timmy, something has been bothering me about the phone call with the brother and this is it - thank you! WHY did the brother feel the need to repeatedly try to phone her back after their conversation? Why would you do that? Obviously something worried him about her, she said something odd or sounded upset and worried - more than just about her ill father. I feel so sorry for the brother :(

Hi all. Agree Timmy and Thinking.

It has been bothering me as well. The husband says in the interview yesterday (sorry ont have the link) that he started ringing and it rang out, and later when the phone the battery went flat (according to him in the interview) it started going to message bank. According to the MSM the brother says he spoke to her and when the call ended abruptly he tried to ring back but it went to message bank.

So either, she must have made or taken another call when her brother was trying to call (to whom or from whom??), or he is not being truthful with saying it rang out when he tried calling 'hundreds of times' before it started going to message bank at 8 am (as he stated in the interview). MOO

:gasp:

:footinmouth:

On the interview I saw with TM, he said something like "...I called her, I don't know, hundreds of times".

I don't think it's necessary to focus on whether it's possible to call her that many times, it seems like it was a figure of speech to me i.e. I called her a lot of times.

Respectfully snipped.

Two things interest me here:

1. Why call her 100 times in four hours? To me that is odd - is that even possible? If you called every ten minutes or so in that timeframe, that would make it 36 times? 100 times rings bells similar to GBC ringing 000 at 7:30am the morning Allison disappeared - a bit of overkill (no pun intended)? How could he have rung her this much if he was out searching?

2. IMO, the main reason someone would plant the handbag is to mislead police into thinking something (eg abduction) occurred at or near the place where the handbag was found. Thus, in my view, if the handbag was in fact planted, then Jill was not likely abducted or attacked at that place. I hope this makes sense.

Regarding the multiple phone calls... Just some thoughts...

could he have said he called that many times because it FELT like it was a great many times... Like...." I told you a thousand times to put your dishes away!".
but you don't really know the exact amount of times you have said it?

and could he have Jill on speed dial? does that create more of a direct channel for calling people, thus making one able to call rapidly in succession?

I am just throwing some ideas out there...

I find it really odd that no one has come forward to say they heard something that night- a yell, a screech of tires... Anything. The person in the turkish restaurant who reported a scream- do we know if that has been confirmed? I haven't seen it referenced in the msm articles.

If you trawl back through the thread, apparently a woman who owns a food shop on Sydney road did hear screams that night. Personally I didn't read that piece of information in MSM but, I definitely read it in this thread.

That handbag has got me going. It amazes me how sure and I mean DEADSET sure TM is that she didn't carry her handbag that night. But we know as the moderator has posted that Jill went straight to a work function at that fadgallery and partied on form there. Ostensibly she was carrying her normal everyday handbag as we haven't heard that she left to change or go home during her night out. Yet TM says she only had her card and and phone in a handbag and had left the other stuff in the flat. How does she do this? This does not make any sense to me.

And I am not interested in re-hashing the handbag semantics just the handbag timeline as it seems to have its own ability to time travel.

That handbag has got me going. It amazes me how sure and I mean DEADSET sure TM is that she didn't carry her handbag that night. But we know as the moderator has posted that Jill went straight to a work function at that fadgallery and partied on form there. Ostensibly she was carrying her normal everyday handbag as we haven't heard that she left to change or go home during her night out. Yet TM says she only had her card and and phone in a handbag and had left the other stuff in the flat. How does she do this? This does not make any sense to me.

And I am not interested in re-hashing the handbag semantics just the handbag timeline as it seems to have its own ability to time travel.

I change my handbag regularly based on what I need to carry or what I am wearing. Perhaps she did that on the Friday morning before she went to work and he just assumed that she didn't take her handbag because he saw the one she had been using had been left at home? If she did it quickly before work, maybe he noticed it laying on a bench or whatever, and just assumed?

And if memory serves correctly, he actually said she left her purse at home. Yeah, yeah - I know. But to him, her purse would be the wallet thing.

I don't think he said she left her handbag at home.

Great article on Daily Life.

I am thinking that if the Turkish food shop was open, those witnesses would be quite key. It may have been a good place to stop and make a phone call as it would be well lit.

I hope those male witnesses in the background do come forward. You'd think if they were at the food shop too they'd possibly be on CCTV or be able to be identified by the staff at the food store. The fact that LE haven't made a public callout for information about this shop or customers there may mean this avenue of enquiry has been expired.

I am glad they are releasing more info. It shook me a bit that they returned twice to Jill's home given I am really confident in his innocence.

I can imagine a scenario whereby she is being followed and the perp waits for her to hang up her call to strike, even the few seconds it would take for her to look down to put her phone into her bag would make her that smidge more vulnerable.

I think it is very possible someone only guilty of intending to keep a discarded handbag would return it to close to where they found it, only out of sight. Any cash and the phone may have already been sold and spent. I hope if this is the case they come forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member