GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The court heard that the fines covered a range of traffic offences, including speeding and parking infringements, and were issues from a number of enforcement agencies.

Mr Bayley lodged an appeal last week against the length of his 35-year sentence.

Read more
http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/adrian-bayley-avoids-12559-in-parking-fines-20130723-2qgu6.html

I wonder if the agencies have a coordinated database.

WHAT AB HAS DONE WHILE DRIVING

The pre-sentence hearing was told that four months after his first rape, Bayley attempted to rape a 16-year-old hitchhiker he picked up in his car. He was sentenced to five years in prison for these first two assaults in 1991, but was released after two years.

In 2002, he pleaded guilty to 16 counts of rape committed between September 2000 and March 2001. Bayley would drive prostitutes to a laneway behind a string of shops in Elwood, where he would park his car close to the wall so they couldn’t open the passenger door to escape.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/11/adrian-bayley-parole-jill-meagher

July 25, 2013

Appeal points to judge's law 'errors'

The rapist and murderer of Jill Meagher will argue for a lesser sentence because a judge was wrong at law to rank the killing ''among the worst kinds conceivable''.

Adrian Ernest Bayley, 41, will also seek leave to appeal his life term with a 35-year minimum because Justice Geoffrey Nettle wrongly relied on ''inferences adverse'' to him.

It is believed the appeal application will be heard in September.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/a...-law-errors-20130724-2qjr6.html#ixzz2a3LmHa7K

July 25, 2013

Adult Parole Board chief makes offer to meet Tom Meagher

THE chair of the Adult Parole Board has offered to meet Tom Meagher to explain its handling of Adrian Bayley, who killed his wife Jill while on parole.
Justice Elizabeth Curtain made the offer in a letter to Mr Meagher yesterday.

The move followed the Herald Sun revealing that the parole board had failed to respond to Mr Meagher's emails for almost a month, blaming a faulty spam filter.

Earlier yesterday, Mr Meagher returned to Facebook to vent his anger over the parole board's statement to the Herald Sun that it lost his emails in a spam filter.

"This is would be laughable if it wasn't so serious. It's the APB's version of 'the dog ate my homework'," Mr Meagher wrote

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...meet-tom-meagher/story-e6frg6n6-1226684612597

Good on you, Tom!!!! Don't let 'em give you any guff!

What a wonderful husband. My heart breaks for him, every time.

Justice for Jill

(NSW law reform only)

Review of the parole system in NSW

The NSW Law Reform Commission has released a Scoping Paper to obtain views on the issues in the NSW parole system that require reform.

http://www.lawreform.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/agdbasev7wr/_assets/lrc/m731654l7/parole_scoping paper_1.pdf

The Commission is seeking submissions on:

any issues not covered in the Scoping Paper that we should consider
any issues covered in the Scoping Paper that we should not consider, and
the priority areas for consideration and reform.
The closing date for submissions is Friday, 23 August 2013

Qld aims to head off Meagher-style crimes

AAP
July 31, 2013, 11:18 am

The Queensland government is looking to tighten rules for the release of prisoners, hoping to avoid any repeat of Jill Meagher style crimes.

Jarrod Bleijie is looking at dumping court-ordered parole and suspended jail sentences in Queensland, due to community concern about crimes committed by offenders on parole.

Currently about 300 offenders are returned to jail each month for parole breaches, and Mr Bleijie says that's clearly a problem.

"To keep a person in prison costs the taxpayer $80,000 a year," Mr Bleijie told ABC radio.

"But what is the cost of that person going to prison, being released and committing some violent crime against a victim? I think that cost far outweighs the other cost ...

"I think offenders are thumbing their nose at the law because they know they're going to be released on a particular date because the court has ordered them to be released on that date."
http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland...to-head-off-meagher-style-crimes/?cmp=twitter

July 25, 2013

Appeal points to judge's law 'errors'

The rapist and murderer of Jill Meagher will argue for a lesser sentence because a judge was wrong at law to rank the killing ''among the worst kinds conceivable''.

Adrian Ernest Bayley, 41, will also seek leave to appeal his life term with a 35-year minimum because Justice Geoffrey Nettle wrongly relied on ''inferences adverse'' to him.

It is believed the appeal application will be heard in September.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/a...-law-errors-20130724-2qjr6.html#ixzz2a3LmHa7K

appealing on wording of why judge handed down sentence, seriously. The ridiculousness of this, along with the lack of remorse about what actually happened (just cop it on the chin and think yourself lucky they didn't throw away the key) I hope means that the next judges will change their wording, and deliver higher sentence for rape at least, given the supposed remorse that was previously taken into account is clearly ********.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of the 'she wasn't meant to be up this far' comment? Some shop-owner said it in relation to their CCTV footage. There are still so many facts not released in this case. That annoys me.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of the 'she wasn't meant to be up this far' comment? Some shop-owner said it in relation to their CCTV footage. There are still so many facts not released in this case. That annoys me.

do you think we will ever know? We still don't know how he negotiated pleading to only 1 rape either. Or what the other rape charges were. or what the 'embarrassing' elements of evidence that were not released. or the unedited version of his interview....so much. and why his mobile was tracked in brunswick with jill's 1-2 hours after the rape, he DID NOT leave her for some time after he strangled her. Is the embarrassing/height of disrespect/degrading events to do with him still being there at that time? i hope not.

when is this <modsnip> appeal heard? is it in an open court, or do judge's consider this privately?

Here is another example of the structural failure of the australian justice system:

"He raped me while wearing the tag [state fitted monitoring device] and at his home before the curfew. If he had been locked up, I wouldn't have been a victim. If they let him out again, they are letting him free to rape or kill another innocent victim. It's as simple as that."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...r-prison-release/story-fni0fee2-1226694858752

Not sure if this is a silly question:facepalm:

It's to do with or election... is each state solely responsible for their own parole board?
We are hearing so much banter about a lot of other policy's ...boat people, gay marriage, carbon tax etc .....
And here in Vic I know 3AW radio talkback has had a great deal of coverage & public outcry especially about Jill & violence towards women.

So I was wondering how come the big guys are not doing something about this on a federal scale?

August 14, 2013

The husband of murdered Brunswick woman Jill Meagher is returning to his native Ireland to "clear his head", according to Moreland mayor Oscar Yildiz, who is in Ireland visiting the families of Tom and Jill Meagher.

&#8220;He's coming back later on this month to clear his head and touch base with his family,&#8221; Mr Yildiz has told Irish news website BreakingNews

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/t...-broken-man-20130814-2rv7f.html#ixzz2cP97Oopk

Review recommends making it harder for violent criminals to get parole

The Callinan review of Victoria's parole system has found that violent criminals have been released into the community without proper consideration of public safety.

The report, by former High Court Justice Ian Callinan, was handed to the State Government today.

"This report draws line in the sand. The culture of parole in Victoria must and will change," Dr Napthine said.

"Today I make this firm declaration.

"The safety of the community will be the highest priority for the Adult Parole Board."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-...t-harder-for-violent-criminals-to-get/4898372

Mr Callinan took a swipe at the information provided to his review on decisions made to release Bayley on parole.

"We asked for and were provided with the Bayley file which did not disclose the names of the members of the panel that granted parole to Bayley," he said in his report.

He described the file as ill-organised and that it had no single document containing straight-forward information about or analytical material relating to his criminal history.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-...t-harder-for-violent-criminals-to-get/4898372

This article is truly staggering:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...ht-other-attacks/story-fni0fee2-1226700959496

This quote speaks directly about a case we have mentioned here in websleuths:

Bayley was not considered a suspect by police following complaints by two women in mid-2012 of being sexually assaulted in the St Kilda area despite police issuing a face-fit image with characteristics similar to Bayley.
A Dutch backpacker, who was raped on July 15 last year, told the media of being driven into a laneway and attacked.
Ms Meagher was raped and killed in a Brunswick laneway two months later on September 22.

There was even speculation right here on websleuths regarding the Meagher case and whether Bayley had used the &#8216;someone is after you, I&#8217;ll give you a lift to safety&#8217; ruse- as he had used on the Dutch backpacker. We now know that was not the case.
1) Another case we speculated about here was the bike-path flasher who was wearing the purple hoodie. He looked suspiciously like bayley and lived in a nearby area. I wonder where that case went
2) also, the 'nunchakas' weirdo in that case with the girl walking late at night with her friends, where the assailant boasted he would choke her with his black gloves. This case is truly worrying because it sounded alarmingly like bayley.

Another quote:

The 41-year-old has been charged with further counts of rape from 2012 and another from 2000, which he is contesting.

We aren&#8217;t told much about those other two rapes, other than the Dutch backpacker story.

Another quote:

Following a major internal review, police have even investigated an information report linking Bayley with the Claremont killings, having lived in Perth, but he was eliminated as a suspect.

In the very early days of the Meagher case, the Claremont killings were expressly mentioned on this forum as possibly having been committed by Bayley. As it states, he lived in Perth at the time. Although his involvement has been discounted apparently, I wouldn&#8217;t be too sure. The police seem to screw things up. If there is any doubt of that, just read one last quote from the article, which attests to this:

At least five sex workers who identified Bayley as their attacker refused to go to court to testify against him the following year (2002) because they did not trust police.

Now, i am not sure what is going on here, though i recall that he was charged with raping 5 sex workers. So, if 5 rejected going ahead with charges, does that mean he potentially raped 10? And he was not on a database of registered sex offenders and had no DNA on file. That's despicable!!!!!

To say I am flabbergasted regarding the contents of that article is an understatement. I am absolutely appalled at how the judicial, legal, policing systems fail our citizens. It&#8217;s just unforgivable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LVTRUCRIME
Back