Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
June 23: Marion leaves for Australia for the UK via Tokyo. Lesley drives Marion to the bus station in Southport to go to the airport and is the last known person to see her.

The Lady Vanishes: The timeline of Marion Barter's disappearance

On this timeline from Channel 7, it states that Marion flew to the UK via Tokyo. But previously, I have always read here that you all thought she went to Seoul.

This makes more sense to me after we heard that RB flew via Tokyo. Obviously they met up in Tokyo.

22 June 1997, 9.38pm
Marion departs Australia on a Korean Airlines flight to South Korea.

A letter she wrote Sally is on stationary from a hotel in Narita (Japan) but sent from London. We assume she got off in Seoul, flew a different airline to Narita, spent at least one night in a hotel, and then flew from Narita to Heathrow Airport.

Sally only has access to passenger cards that have direct flights in and out of Aus. Police have access to fight manifests and passport and immigration info, and will know exactly where the went and who else was on plane. Same for her previous travel to Europe, and potentially Switzerland.

Last edited by a moderator:
He had the deed to her house, house keys and power of attorney. There's very little he couldn't do. He could have sold the house then disappeared on one of his other names.

i wonder what he could achieve in a matter of 14 days or so before he might expect her back if she had of chosen to deal with his travel agent / Any ideas ?

He had the deed to her house, house keys and power of attorney. There's very little he couldn't do. He could have sold the house then disappeared on one of his other names.

You're very right about questioning where they were staying if both he and Marion returned to Aus! Makes me wonder if she returned at all! I keep flip flopping on the issue.

yes it’s a possibility he could, but selling isn’t something you can do overnight. It takes time to find a buyer, then settlement isn’t immediate, and he wasnt guaranteed a lot of time before JO would have eventually made it home. He knew she was with her cousin, not lost and alone without any means to get home.

There seems to be a big gap between when RB meet MB the 2nd time.. was it 1995 or 1996 and then her asking him to store her belongings. RB said he spent 3 or 4 nights with her when they meet but doesn’t mention any further contact till 1997. That just doesn’t add up.

Why has it been accuring interest only from 2013 and not from when Marion disappeared?

It only came into effect in 2013 for unclaimed money. Prior to 2013 there was no interest accrued. In Australia anyway. I’m not sure about other parts of the world. It appears that the funds from the Barclays account are now being held by the Commonwealth bank here in Australia, but it states the origin which is Barclays.

I don't know much about the property investment business but it's known to be a racket. No doubt he'd have a bunch of alternate names, companies and trusts to transfer it to. She might've even returned to the house and gotten on with life and later got kicked out when the new owners showed up.

If he had PoA, deed and keys, SHE would have a very lengthy process of trying to prove she has a right to it. By the time police get even remotely near the end of the stick, he's long gone on another name and victim.

From google:

"If the title is stolen and you're not aware, you can lose your property. The thief could sell your property or refinance it, not pay the mortgage and allow it to enter foreclosure. The theft of your deed is the result of identity theft. Criminals are using your identity to steal your home. In fact, they may have already done so.""

"Real estate fraud occurs when a thief obtains the title to your property through a fraudulent transfer document. Unfortunately it can be very simple and it is almost always tied into an event of identity theft."

"How common is title fraud? The FBI estimated a couple years back that 9,600 U.S. homeowners were victims of title fraud."

Wow :(

All this reminds me of all the evidence we found linking FNMR to a slew of worldwide dodgy investment property companies and the panama papers. It's just might be that it all belonged to this FNMR not the Luxembourg one. Who knows.

There seems to be a big gap between when RB meet MB the 2nd time.. was it 1995 or 1996 and then her asking him to store her belongings. RB said he spent 3 or 4 nights with her when they meet but doesn’t mention any further contact till 1997. That just doesn’t add up.

Actually it is strange because the other women said they never went to his home. Why would Marion store anything there as it was a long way from where she lived.

I haven’t fully listened to JO’s evidence but she was only asked if she went to Tunbridge Wells. The only places she mentioned were Harwich (ferry port), Colchester in Essex, Dover (ferry port) and her cousin in Manchester.

She was clearly travelling with this guy through Kent & Sussex so exactly where was she visiting, where did she stay, what type of accommodation, was it pre-booked, etc, etc.

No mention of Rye in East Sussex which has a number of antique dealers (and possibly coin dealers). I assume LE will be asking her a lot more with regards to this.

I’m not saying Marion would have stayed at the same accommodation but it would possibly give a pattern of his movements and places he knew and felt comfortable with in the UK (probably as Englishman RW).

I did notice there was a conviction in his CV of using fake UK number plates. Were these vehicles really hired?

Good point. Casselden made a point of questioning JO about the car. She said he sat her at a cafe while he went off to get a car. Did he steal cars in Australia too? I bet he broke into vacant homes as well. JO said he took a real good look at the little empty house with a lease sign in France.

I cannot believe we had this level of an expert conman living in Australia. Is there anything he cannot or will not do? Where did he learn how to do it all? He claims to have been 30 when he arrived in Australia. He must've led quite the active life beforehand or had an excellent mentor.

Yes I think that too. That they were in the UK, probably together. What was actually written on the postcards was a work of fiction though. Or at least economical with the truth. Because she clearly wasn't going to say "the reason i'm spending all this time mooching round little antique shops is because i have this new European boyfriend who's a coin dealer".

Many conmen get their victims to lie, either by forcing them to lie, or creating a reality the victim thinks is true.

They often use fear tactics to get them to act, such as saying HE is in danger or their VICTIM is in danger.

The Tinder Swindler (Simon Leviev) told his victims he had enemies who were after him and even showed them a video of himself in an ambulance all beaten up after an supposed encounter, so he couldn't use his bank card for fear of being traced, so his victims gave him theirs and lied to banks to get more money for him.

The Puppet Master (Robert Hendy-Freegard) conned a group of uni students into believing their lives were in extreme danger from terrorists and that he was protecting them as an M15 agent. He dragged them around the UK for a decade, giving them aliases and new lives. Even letting them see and speak to their families while they told giant fibs they thought were true and lies he forced them to tell.

Then there's the French con artist (Thierry Tilly) who used fear mongering to cause an aristocratic family to lock themselves away for a decade, fearing their lives were in danger if they stepped outside the house.

We don't know how he coerced Marion. There must have been a good reason she changed her name in secret. Remember that before Marion left, she told a friend 'if something happens to me look after Sally and Owen'. And the fact she was uneasy letting her kids see the man she was meeting up with, and obviously knew for months.

We've only heard from two witnesses. JO seems so sweet and trusting he never had to force her to do anything! But GGB was more reluctant and he took naked photos of her and tried to blackmail her and reported her to her employer! Other witnesses may be able to testify to his fear tactics.

The more relevant question is... did Marion have a history of lying before meeting him?

Has an
I'm not caught up yet but I was thinking about the bank ID. Marion had been banking with a few branches or banks I understand. How long had she been with the one that ID'd her? Is it possible the teller was able to ID 'Marion' on the basis that someone had been impersonating her before her disappearance?

Suitcases being left at airports so someone can copy documents they contain?

I'm not buying that the flight card was written by Marion now that a forger is in question.
Has anyone checked her handwriting against DeH/RB's incoming passenger cards?

start a business like he’d told the other ladies. That’s why she was ok to quit her job. I think

Probably this business:
EP0893089A1 - Telescopic suction tube for vacuum cleaner, locking device for this tube and application of this device in a suction tube - Google Patents

"Fernand Remakel" registered this patent in Luxembourg the week before RB flew back to Australia. Coincidence? I doubt it. This was probably the business idea which Marion was coerced to "invest" in. There could be some corporate paperwork behind the patent and the shell company behind it which might tie some threads together, especially if Marion was a shareholder. I hope the police are checking this.

Has an

Has anyone checked her handwriting against DeH/RB's incoming passenger cards?
His handwriting is quite distinct with ‘I’ as the dot above is a circle.. I’ve checked a lot of passengers cards and all have a circle above the ‘I’ example as attached but I have removed most info so only closing in on some words due to not being cool to display passport numbers on here

Attachments

• FF7D6E35-8AA8-4284-A6E9-F3F839498EEE.jpeg
    FF7D6E35-8AA8-4284-A6E9-F3F839498EEE.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 2C6E0A5C-1BE4-4C50-A1A1-564231115528.jpeg
    2C6E0A5C-1BE4-4C50-A1A1-564231115528.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 41
  • C3975009-CCEB-4D48-B8F6-210CAEBB428D.jpeg
    C3975009-CCEB-4D48-B8F6-210CAEBB428D.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 44
  • 1A0F7259-5AB9-4BDB-AA52-3EB527F02872.jpeg
    1A0F7259-5AB9-4BDB-AA52-3EB527F02872.jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 40
Probably this business:
EP0893089A1 - Telescopic suction tube for vacuum cleaner, locking device for this tube and application of this device in a suction tube - Google Patents

"Fernand Remakel" registered this patent in Luxembourg the week before RB flew back to Australia. Coincidence? I doubt it. This was probably the business idea which Marion was coerced to "invest" in. There could be some corporate paperwork behind the patent and the shell company behind it which might tie some threads together, especially if Marion was a shareholder. I hope the police are checking this.
4 patents are registered under that name.

Probably this business:

I think this is the GENUINE Mr Ramekel. The one doorstepped by the podcast. Who has nothing to do with it in my opinion, apart from being a victim of identity fraud. A "telescopic suction tube for a vacuum cleaner" isn't really fitting hte pattern of property theft and coin dealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdw1990