Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The pilot that Marion was said to be fond of, he worked for Cathay Pacific at the time, is that right? Have been looking at their uniforms from back in the day and they appear to have a dark cap, not white. Qantas appear to have had white caps. Can anyone confirm?
Personally I think many of many names pilot story of collecting boxes is just another ‘story’

View digital copy
"a) in Roulers, in the judiciary of Courtran, between 1 September 1976 and 31 March 1977, a forged die carrying the inscription Ye Old Passy - Australia Tamborine Queensland". I dont understand how this could be a crime....

He was found with a 'Ye Old Passy' forge die that he used to make either fake bank, commercial or personal papers.

The full statement on page 56 of 173 says:

"Also of having forged the seal, stamp or imprint either of an authority, or of a private banking, industrial or commercial establishment, or of a private individual, notably:"

Then it goes on to say, that in France between 1 Sept 1976 and 31 March 1977, he was found with a forged die carrying the inscription 'Ye Old Passy, Australia Tamborine Queensland'.

A forged die is a metal tool made to inscribe stuff. People use these to legitimately inscribe items, but in his case, it's listed on the crimes he admitted to... a very long history of forgery and impersonation.

It is evidence he was making fake bank documents, cheques, letters from businesses, IDs, collectors coins, stamps, number plates and who knows what else.

I also suspect he used the notorious fax machines to doctor documents that led to his multiple ID's.

The weird thing is, that on a 1986 passenger card arriving in Aus as FDdH, he wrote his address was Ye Old Passy, Tamborine QLD. Which as far as I can tell, is not a real place. I guess he either quickly needed fake address (because he was not going to give real Ballina address associated with his 'clean' FDdH alias?) or he had some other fake document on him with the Ye Old address.

Still catching up on all the juicy stuff you all found! :)

If you search the name of his brother (see my gyneology-post) on facebook, there's a friend with 2 accounts with a VERY striking resemblance to the picture someone posted of 'Willy David'...
Not having success at the google search

My father was an immigrant from Italy also circled above his ‘I’s interestingly is a passengers card for wife with obviously different hand writing.. also circles above ‘I’ on her name. So I tend to think it’s a European thing.. however that doesn’t explain 2nd wife’s ‘I’s as she was born here.

Nice! Also, is there evidence DW was born in Aus? I missed it. I wouldn't be surprised if DW isn't really her real name either lol.

I agree with earlier member who mentioned TINDLER SWINDLER on Netflix. It's a must see for anyone interested in how these love cons work. In fact, having watching it, the Marion case seems textbook to me.

The love con creates chaos (ie lots of travel); presents himself as busy businessman in potentially dangerous or volatile field (ie coins); charms vulnerable women; weans them from family and friends via intrigue and danger; leaves no paper (or criminal!) trail since women hand over everything willingly because of the stories set up by the conman. The love con doesn't need blackmail. They groom their victims to believe in love and partnership.

And most shocking, these guys juggle multiple women at once. They can travel first class on one woman's money while seducing another. I believe absolutely Marion came back to Australia to hand over her money, and the con went south, ending in her death.
The TINDER SWINDLER is alive, well, and still preying on women even though a documentary has been made about him.
Is Blum in custody? What does everyone think?

Listening to a true crime podcast yesterday about a con artist, an investigator said "Con artists always believe they can talk their way out of anything. They weave stories out of thin air, and they never stop talking. It's often their downfall." It made me think of this Man of Many Names. It seems pointless to fact check anything he says. It will all be fabrication based on slim bits. He will think he can talk his way out of this. I hope he can't.

I think it makes sense.

here’s a another theory… sells house yes at his suggestion… changes name to FNMR as the plan OS is to ‘marry’ start a new life as Mr & Mrs. Meet up in Japan travel to UK together..
Something happens….a problem of some sort.. So returns home.. he arrives a few days later.. assures everything is fine.. they are starting their life together as planned and convinces $ withdrawals until account is empty..

Passenger return card does suggest by handwriting it is MB… I know it’s a bit left if field.. but maybe married OS??

Money not stolen from account simply withdrawn and handed over with free will to her ‘husband’ …. As for what followed…after that..
Why is the passport number different to the rest of the border entry card details?

If next week, we find DW is a petite blonde woman who speaks French, I am going to lose it.

Edit: yes, I think there is a chance RB might already be in custody and that was what the 'application' might have referenced. If they had something to arrest him for, even if small and irrelevant to Marion's case, then it would make sense to keep him detained due to being a huge flight risk given all the aliases and passports.

Last edited by a moderator:
During some of my searches, I found mention of convicts sent to Australia.

Their crime was being found with a forged die.

But, what is the time frame for this?

My Irish ancestor and two brothers were convicted of "stealing in a dwelling house" in the 1840's, and sentenced "to Transportation, With Family" to Australia.

Not sure how, but 2 landed in Rhode Island and the third in New Orleans.

jmho ymmv lrr

My father was an immigrant from Italy also circled above his ‘I’s interestingly is a passengers card for wife with obviously different hand writing.. also circles above ‘I’ on her name. So I tend to think it’s a European thing.. however that doesn’t explain 2nd wife’s ‘I’s as she was born here.

On his Arrivals card when he first arrived in Australia, his handwriting is different. No circles above the "I"s. Would be interesting to compare the two side by side.

Last edited:
Nice! Also, is there evidence DW was born in Aus? I missed it. I wouldn't be surprised if DW isn't really her real name either lol.

her name and DOB lines up with a birth on Ancestry. born in Sydney in 1951 and an ad in the newspaper at the time for her birth, you can see her parents names on Ancestry. personally I do think she is the real DW and is Australian. Intrigued to see and hear her at the inquest, is she an absolute doormat or complaisant in his crimes. currently finding it hard to have any sympathy for her either way ... that might change of course, we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phenomanon