Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always assumed he was surprised to see her, not because she returned home so quickly but that she HAD returned home. But I think the worst of everyone.
Agree! Remember Jo said he’d told her to take only 1000 in cash… so let’s say by the time she got the call she didn’t have much of that left.. how was she going to home without money?

When he wandered down that driveway he was NOT expecting her to be back in OZ IMO.

Jo being there is what ruined whatever plan he had. And I have no doubt he had a plan.

I always assumed he was surprised to see her, not because she returned home so quickly but that she HAD returned home. But I think the worst of everyone.
Agree! Remember Jobsaid he’s told her to take only 1000 in cash… so let’s say by the time she got the call she didn’t have much of that left.. how was she going to home without money?

When he wandered down that driveway he was NOT expecting her to be back in OZ IMO.

Jo being there is what ruined whatever plan he had. And I have no doubt he had a plan.

I don't think cops ever found him in 1999 and only discovered him now.

In 2000, JO reported him to the cops, so he is on their system as RLW (and aliases Ric West and Rich Richard). RLW is a valid name (and passport) he got via deed poll.

Maybe during Marion's inquest investigation police found JO as a witness after they searched their system for complaints about romance scams and home theft. It's a common procedure to search for complaints of a similar crime in the same area.

Police made the link to Ric Blum because he legally changed his name from RLW to RB.

Similarly, they might've found GGB as she reported him as FDdH. There's a link there too as he legally changed FDdH to RLW.

Ok thanks, didn’t realise he was going by a legitimate name. What was he thinking if he ended up selling JO’s house, that he’d get away with it using a legitimate name? Don’t get that part. Same with Marion. If he did swindle her money and Marion had survived, he’s going to get caught out having used ID that can be traced. Don’t understand that part.

Agree! Remember Jo said he’d told her to take only 1000 in cash… so let’s say by the time she got the call she didn’t have much of that left.. how was she going to home without money?

interesting re not expecting her to be back in Oz at all. He gave JO a travel agent to contact and 2 flights she could book. is there an accomplice in the mix here as RB had severed contact?

(part 2 and conclusion of the story)

In the UK, RB is so close to pulling off his complete swindle of Marion, but what to do about the house money in Australia? Marion must go back to withdraw it. RB would never try and fake that. THAT would be absolute theft and it would be on his home turf. He knows there is deed poll evidence of Marion’s changed name linking her to him.

Marion is promised a new life in Luxembourg, once they have her money. They’ll only fly back for a few days— perhaps on different flights, as RB makes his excuses sound plausible. Marion does what she’s told, but finds she is limited in her withdrawals. So she takes the opportunity to go to her optometrist and perhaps see about other medical issues. After all it will be a while before she can see a new doctor. These are the mundane things we do before starting a new life. But once again, she is not following orders from RB.

Here’s where Marion becomes the one with a difference. Did her suspicions suddenly cause her to act out, to challenge RB? Did his rage come when he finds out she saw doctors? Talked to people around the motel? Did her anger trigger his own childhood of female abandonment, so that he loses control and assaults her? Did she threaten to turn him in? To call her family? Did she go through his wallet and find out that he had many different names? Follow him to his home with D?

The one thing I know happened is that back on home turf, in Australia, being separated from RB as he went back and forth to his wife-- Marion feels stronger. Less sure she wants adventure. Happy to be home and near security, she starts to question everything. But it's too late. Whatever happens in Australia, it is outside RB’s standard operating procedure. Marion upsets the plan, and Marion loses. She is murdered either by accident or by intent. RB has the money and all other the other things Marion had, but now there is a murder and he is linked to it. He calls his wife. He tells her everything, completely blaming Marion. Now his wife is an accessory to his crime of murder. They dispose of Marion’s body.

Everything changes for RB, and for a short while— months, years— he lays low. He swears to himself, he’ll be more careful. He’ll change. But as anyone who knows grifters knows, they never change. The tragedy of Marion was just a blip on RB’s radar, and he moves on.
Or perhaps he knew of name change and the hiccup to the plan was the bank account in UK wasn’t under the new name.. a mistake of her not following the instructions so they have to return. So she can withdraw from her ‘Barter’ named account.. IF account had have been in Remakel and he had drivers license as Remakel then he as her husband could access her account in the uK.. But she opened account under the wrong name. Orient express was cancelled due to lack of funds perhaps? She could not withdraw anything in UK due to no longer having barter ID - a Medicare card is not going to cut it with proving she was Marion. Just throwing in another take on a possible error made by MB.

interesting re not expecting her to be back in Oz at all. He gave JO a travel agent to contact and 2 flights she could book. is there an accomplice in the mix here as RB had severed contact?
I think eventually he expected her back but she was quicker than he anticipated hence stuffing up his big plan

The thing that really throws me off is the bag of women's clothing he makes them keep at an airport.
Why does he need his victim's clothes?

Is it simply something to give to his wife like a hunting trophy?
Is he giving the clothes to his multiple wives and kids scattered secretly around the globe?
Is he dressing up as a woman?
If he isn't giving it to an accomplice... all I can think of... is he uses it to fake his victim's death?

Maybe he is going back and killing them. Then planting fake evidence somewhere else, to make it look like an accident? This way, they'll stop looking for the missing person and move on? Nooooo.

Ooooohhh, I think I got it! He can't get caught with women's jewellery, title deeds, IDs and cash in HIS bag amongst HIS clothing, as that would look suspicious and is akin to being caught red handed. It's evidence.

Soooooo, he keeps all the stolen goods in a separate bag with women's clothing. If questioned, he comes up with an excuse – I mistook the bag for my own, sorry! They can't prove *advertiser censored*. They can't arrest him for anything.

Hahaha, damn, ooooh, he is such vile and sneaky man. I bet he's done this a thousand times to transport stolen goods and money internationally. Like AF's coins.

Last edited by a moderator:
"It does seem that he went to greater lengths to cover his tracks with Marion than the other two women we've heard from."

This makes me think that he had to make sure that Marion met her demise. When they go over the places he visited and lived in the UK, it makes me suspect that they think that Marion may have met her demise there. Also Casselden was curious about those two days he thought RB could have remained in England after he put JO on the train. Did he visit where Marion was buried? Or did he go to see the hitman? The reason I say that is because if Marion died in England, RB or his wife could not have done it. He would have to have found a hitman to do it.

However, if Marion met her demise in Australia, RB and DH are my prime suspects especially when I heard when they bought and sold that car. Yes the car could have just been so that they could get around to the bank every day but also to do other things like hide a body then bury it. Then you sell the car and there is no trace to you (you hope).

ALL IMO
Personally I think RB getting a hitman is out of the question. As we have heard so far, no one is above him. Why would he ask someone else to take charge of his Kingdom when he has always been the Master of his own grand plan. He wouldn't trust anyone else slighting against him - for example he looked genuinely shocked that MC would disparage his character.
In my opinion it would seem more plausible that RB and DdeH worked together.

OOps sorry This is my reasoning why i have always thought Marion did disappear herself awhile after she returned out of shame
I just cant see that happening at all. While she may have been embarrassed at her naivety, to just disappear of her own accord after returning home seems very unlikely. She would not have not come forward at her sons death if she was still alive, no matter how embarrassed she may have been. That is my belief anyways.

Not sure if this is allowed but I wonder if we could create a folder on google docs and put the solid timelines, FACTS we know about the case in chronological order on there. So much stuff gets lost in the thread(s) and they are useful to refer back to. I know I can make a personal one just for myself but I think sometimes it's good to have something that others can edit and make corrections. We could also write out outlines of theories on there and others could annotate with aspects that would seem to correct/dispute the theory. Just a thought. :) DELETE IF NOT ALLOWED.

I researched this family quite extensively yesterday as I just knew there was more to the Flamme story. I think this story runs deep, I feel that he knew of Emile Flamme from the early days, he didn’t stumble across Andrée by chance.

Yes I have also researched a lot re this family. There is definitely discrepancies in his account. The whole story about the daughter having an alias is just bs in my opinion. Maybe the daughter connected with him to enquire about the selling of her families coins etc knowing that he knew her father from the past.

That has intrigued me. He is going much further to the west of Kent & Sussex. Never been mentioned in postcards. At first I wondered if AC was confusing it with Winchelsea but that and Jane Austin’s house I believe is relevant. Has someone in the UK who knows of the case come forward with records for that time?

Possibly a guest book at Jane Austins house...?

They went to different branches too.
I wonder if this co insides with marion being questioned about.

Imo she did come back but she got wise and was detained somewhere until they had what they wanted.
They knew everything they had her passport probably all her important documents passwords.
She probably had more than any other victim had.
He only ever got 30k from gb
Stuff from JO. Potentially more but she got here before she was supposed too and was seen by other people.

Marion was going to expose them that's why it's different I think she knew about who the wife was.
I agree. Imo If Marion discovered the real identity (the 1997 identity) and home address, family etc , that would be a problem. As it was, I believe the legal RLW name was used for quite a while afterwards so no fear of exposure...

I'm still returning to the thought I posted in an earlier thread about the weirdness with LL dropping Marion off.

If we are to believe the flight docket (I can't remember where they came from?) that lists RB as leaving Aus a few days before Marion, why the secrecy? Was someone else involved and picking her up? Why would this have been?

LL would have seen the amount of bags she was taking, so it can't have been that. It could have been to do with her travelling from a different terminal, but that seems easy enough to explain as a connecting flight and not too noteworthy. It's just an element of the case that I can't shake.

Sorry, who is LL?

I'm still returning to the thought I posted in an earlier thread about the weirdness with LL dropping Marion off.

If we are to believe the flight docket (I can't remember where they came from?) that lists RB as leaving Aus a few days before Marion, why the secrecy? Was someone else involved and picking her up? Why would this have been?

LL would have seen the amount of bags she was taking, so it can't have been that. It could have been to do with her travelling from a different terminal, but that seems easy enough to explain as a connecting flight and not too noteworthy. It's just an element of the case that I can't shake.

Question for all the sleuths who are knowledgable about all the locations RB visits...

The ones he returns to repeatedly... is it possible he is visiting banks, safety deposit boxes and storage lockers? Where he keeps stolen money and goods from previous scams?

Could he be picking up money and goods and transporting them in a women's suitcase, back to Australia? If he's completed scams overseas, then surely he might not be able to sell all the items, quickly at the same time. And he can't bring all of the cash back to Australia at the same time. So maybe he stores them all in certain locations and brings them to Aus, slowly over time? I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pearl lemon