Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mishy, you are something else. :cool: I wish you were head of QLD police force!
Honestly if a member of the public can follow the rope that would have hung him decades ago then it just goes to show HOW INCOMPETENT THE NSW POLICE were and to some extent still are!!!!

The bottom line is, THEY JUST WEREN'T INTERESTED in women who were of middle age, (as what they considered back then) and this is probably why we have people like Marion who are still unaccounted for!!

There really needs to be a Royal Commission into the Missing Persons Units and NSW police handling of these situations. Probably EVERY STATE needs this.

Agree 100%. LR used DdeH's lack of emotion during the inquest as proof that she is a victim of coercive control.

IMO She might have been young when they met and got tangled in his coercive web, but she's tougher than she looks and is, to some extent, a partner in crime. Until anything is proven she's standing by her man. Probably why the relationship lasted.

I imagine she tried very hard not to have to testify and was, perhaps, subpeonaed.
Totally agree

It was very one eyed, but no doubt they are pushing for her as victim to get her to talk down the track - Once he dies probably
The problem there is far too much evidence pointing in the other direction

Decades of Centrelink deceit, not just by him but her too, she had to have changed her addresses too payments etc etc

All the properties in her name, can't deny that one

I put her in the basket with MC - SO much more to their union. They weren't victims of his. They are both game players, have him at checkmate.

Totally subpoenaed
She couldnt even look at SL. She had her back turned outside to her the whole time. Thats not a victim. Thats a perpetrator IMO

I was actually surprised that LR only talked about one side of DdeH and that was the coercive control side, that LR is really so well known for and rightly so too.

Especially in this case, there is no doubt that coercive control is front and central to this case.
And painting DdeH as a woman who was under control of her husband, would certainly help her should this case go to trial - no charges for her should she spill all.

BUT there have been just as many people come forward painting a VERY different image of DdeH - one who stood up to him, acknowledged happily some of his deceitful ways, never saw her as a diminutive figure in the marriage - in fact the complete opposite - their long time neighbor on the GC who lived right beside them in the unit, would have been at least one that LR could have taken the opinion of and others who also knew them very well in the swimming industry - commenting she was always dripping in gold jewelry and not afraid of him at all.

Their own son even threatened a victim with a law suit !
This family isn't under any control - they are the controllers IMO

They lived in a pigsty as one neighbour commented and DdeH herself said they didn't have much because they were always moving - very handy

The thing that sticks with me is IF she was concerned about herself and her children way back in the early 1980s and then they arrived back into Australia - her own family were here for her - Her sister PR is a multimillionaire +, and they were obviously in contact all those years - Maite worked for her cousin and it was PR the sister who contacted Diane when she saw Ric on television all those yrs later.

In todays world we could say Bonnie of Bonnie and Clyde fame, was under coercive control too
But she was his loyal companion - lived for the chase, loved the chase, was rewarded for it. Just like Diane.
Diane could have left anytime in her life. She chose him.
Its a thin line IMO

Totally agree with this, I like LR but the theme of every woman who turns a blind eye or assists a partner in crime is victim of coercive control annoys me.

Like you say it's a thin line !

I agree @mishy66 D may have been a young girl when they met swept off her feet by this smooth talking accented European.

BUT… she didn’t remain young.

Initially there most likely was coercive control but she knows so much more. I suspect she has perhaps assisted him in some of his dodgy dealings.. over the course of their marriage. She’s not dumb.. she clearly didn’t want to be at the inquest and her ‘yeah’ responses had a bit of attitude in them IMO.

The interesting thing was him saying she had problems with memory and producing his google diagnosis. So Quick to throw her under a bus to control the narrative.

Makes me think he would he would throw her under the bus again if a future trial began.

Turning a blind eye.. I completely understand.. on the odd occaisy..but your entire life turning a blind eye.. nah sorry I don’t believe that.

She is more than aware they have lived their entire lives together from his illegal money, money obtained by scamming others.

She’s his carer! Yet for years he was OS without her yet she still collected her pension every fortnight even though he wasn’t there to care for!

So she is capable of deceit just as much as he is.

IMO
JMO

We’re in February!

Has a date been announced for the legal proceedings to start again?
From Sally Leydon’s website:
New South Wales State Coroner, Her Honour Magistrate Teresa O'Sullivan, will hand down her findings of the Coronial Inquest into the disappearance of Marion Barter on 29th February 2024. These proceedings will happen at the NSW Coroners Court located at 1A Main Avenue, Lidcombe NSW 2141.

Further information regarding live stream and other particulars will be made available closer to the date.

ADMIN NOTE:

The Laura Richards podcast is approved for this case only.

As with any podcast/source, if anything gets too controversial in relation to Websleuths TOS, we can review it at that time.

I agree @mishy66 D may have been a young girl when they met swept off her feet by this smooth talking accented European.

BUT… she didn’t remain young.

Initially there most likely was coercive control but she knows so much more. I suspect she has perhaps assisted him in some of his dodgy dealings.. over the course of their marriage. She’s not dumb.. she clearly didn’t want to be at the inquest and her ‘yeah’ responses had a bit of attitude in them IMO.

The interesting thing was him saying she had problems with memory and producing his google diagnosis. So Quick to throw her under a bus to control the narrative.

Makes me think he would he would throw her under the bus again if a future trial began.

Turning a blind eye.. I completely understand.. on the odd occaisy..but your entire life turning a blind eye.. nah sorry I don’t believe that.

She is more than aware they have lived their entire lives together from his illegal money, money obtained by scamming others.

She’s his carer! Yet for years he was OS without her yet she still collected her pension every fortnight even though he wasn’t there to care for!

So she is capable of deceit just as much as he is.

IMO
JMO
IMO, just maybe she has a letter prepared with her will “in event of my premature death predeceasing RB” as an insurance policy and it details/contains evidence of a crime(s).

When you look at whats been diclosed at the inquest, the MBFB Page and then what the neighbours have mentioned, Dianne/ Diane/ Anne / Annie knew him as Willy Wouters, Willy Coppenolle, Willy / Will David Coppenolle ,
Fredi / Fredy David, Ric / Ricky David, Frederic / Ric / Ricky de Hedervary / Hedervay, Ric West , Ric Blum

That alone, given she only disclosed at inquest she knew him as Fredi / Fredy / David / Willy Wouters - " I called him Ric because it reminds me of a frog", then dehedervary at marriage and finally Ric West and Ric Blum

IMO she knew many other names

Then you have all the name changes / letter swaps / letter drops, between her , him and so far, the daughter - this family is more than a travelling circus

If nothing else they have Diane for perjury on multiple occasions
At the very very least as an adult she should have been aware he was using multiple names and as such that could have been for deceptive reasons.

At the very very least as an adult she should have been aware he was using multiple names and as such that could have been for deceptive reasons.
She was completely aware of his name changes and was front and centre on at least one occasion when he asked their neighbours to sign his application for a new name.
And mail arrived to the neighbours mailbox by mistake , also with one of his other names addressed on the front.

She also did additional name variations to Diane as did Maite.

Wouldn't trust any of them!

She was completely aware of his name changes and was front and centre on at least one occasion when he asked their neighbours to sign his application for a new name.
And mail arrived to the neighbours mailbox by mistake , also with one of his other names addressed on the front.

She also did additional name variations to Diane as did Maite.

Wouldn't trust any of them!
IMO they are his flying monkeys

From Sally Leydon’s website:
New South Wales State Coroner, Her Honour Magistrate Teresa O'Sullivan, will hand down her findings of the Coronial Inquest into the disappearance of Marion Barter on 29th February 2024. These proceedings will happen at the NSW Coroners Court located at 1A Main Avenue, Lidcombe NSW 2141.

Further information regarding live stream and other particulars will be made available closer to the date.
So glad for Sally and all concerned.

Followed this case intently early days but fell off it. All over it again now and hope the inquest provides some positive outcomes.

Recently I have been re-listening to the inquest, in particular, AKA’s days on the stand. This time, at normal speed. I know there has been a lot of commentary about his ‘French’ accent when he speaks in English, but my ears are picking up a Dutch accent, rather than a French one, which I hadn’t noticed in the past when I had it on 1.5x speed. Given that he is from Tornai, which is in the French-speaking area of Belgium, does his accent reveal some undisguisable truth about where he grew up? Would be interested to know everyone’s thoughts.

Recently I have been re-listening to the inquest, in particular, AKA’s days on the stand. This time, at normal speed. I know there has been a lot of commentary about his ‘French’ accent when he speaks in English, but my ears are picking up a Dutch accent, rather than a French one, which I hadn’t noticed in the past when I had it on 1.5x speed. Given that he is from Tornai, which is in the French-speaking area of Belgium, does his accent reveal some undisguisable truth about where he grew up? Would be interested to know everyone’s thoughts.
I’m no expert on Benelux accents but I did notice what I thought was a Dutch twang when he spoke. I’m still intrigued that he can apparently speak fluent Hungarian even allowing for his relationship with IK.

I also listened faster than 1x. Can you give an example date/hour/moment? I want to give it a try. As i’m from Belgium, at the dutch border & an hour away from the french part of Belgium, i’ve heard a LOT of french (belgian) speaking english and Dutch (holland/the netherlands) speaking english. Maybe i can give my 2 cents.

I’m no expert on Benelux accents but I did notice what I thought was a Dutch twang when he spoke. I’m still intrigued that he can apparently speak fluent Hungarian even allowing for his relationship with IK.
IMO, he looks Dutch too, especially in the photos taken of him at his daughter’s wedding in Bali. Maybe it’s his hairstyle, his stance, as well as his facial features. At least he looks like a lot of Dutch people I’ve encountered over the years in Australia.

In terms of his ability to speak Hungarian fluently, I wonder if anyone has actually heard him speaking Hungarian. Given his tendency to bignote himself, the only way I’d be convinced of this is to get confirmation from a native Hungarian speaker and I guess there aren’t too many available to test him, especially in Australia. Isn’t Hungarian a fairly difficult language to master for most European language speakers as it’s one of the few European languages that doesn’t belong in the Info European language family.

I also listened faster than 1x. Can you give an example date/hour/moment? I want to give it a try. As i’m from Belgium, at the dutch border & an hour away from the french part of Belgium, i’ve heard a LOT of french (belgian) speaking english and Dutch (holland/the netherlands) speaking english. Maybe i can give my 2 cents.
That would be great to get someone like you to have a listen and share your thoughts. If you start at Day 7 (16 Feb 2022) of the inquest, around the 10 minute mark that’s where he takes the stand.

It would also be interesting to hear him speaking French and Dutch to find out what kind of accent he speaks with. I don’t think there are any published samples of him speaking anything other than English though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
extremevertigo