Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand he could have been purchasing Japanese antiques, filling them with stolen goods from his European scams, and transporting them back to Australia where he sold the antiques to a T. Jones, owner of the antiques store in Bangalow.
Edit to add: And he might have been a paid buyer for the store which had an account with JAL
He may also have found victims with Japanese antiques and helped the victim pack the treasures into crates, that the victims pay to transport, supposedly to their new life across the other side of the world. He may also use the luggage/ cases of victims that he encourages them to store at airports and train stations that are never recovered by the victims, to send things around the world. MOO
There are so many reasons as to why he would utilise this situation..... if he found himself a 'new job' as buyer for said business.
IMO there is definitely a link between these men and him. NOT saying the business men are involved in his crimes, just more innocent victims IMO

He found a way to continue his 'business' that he had just a few yrs earlier in the UK, as @Lord Peter Flimsy mentioned.

He spent the same years , between 1992 to 1997 flying JAL, as that shop opened and then closed. RIGHT in his playground.

WHY did it all "come to a screeching halt"

When you look at the timeframe of those round trips via Japan, it's a near perfect fit for buying trips for a small business.

He never flew JAL again - the business closed end of 1997
NO coincidences there

IMO JMO MOO

I REALLY HOPE there are journos and other authorities on here, and are looking into this if they haven't already!

I agree with MrsEmmaPeel who suggested AKA would get other people to pay for his transport etc. while he was working other scams. And so he pulls others into his dirty schemes and soils their lives. It must leave a bitter aftertaste for honest people who have had involvement with this convicted criminal.

It’s all starting to come together.

Four weeks from today the Coroner’s findings will be released.

I agree with MrsEmmaPeel who suggested AKA would get other people to pay for his transport etc. while he was working other scams. And so he pulls others into his dirty schemes and soils their lives. It must leave a bitter aftertaste for honest people who have had involvement with this convicted criminal.

It’s all starting to come together.

Four weeks from today the Coroner’s findings will be released.
I wish an Australian journalist would pick up on this and do an appeal to shop owners who may have worked with AKA. Somewhere he learned that "tea chests" which I'd never heard of are the preferred method of shipping goods overseas. The original shipping containers! -- This also ties in with his furniture sales in the 1980s. Using furniture to hide contraband. He shops for Japanese antiques and then stuffs a suitcase or two inside. Or stolen antiques from his own crimes.

One thing that's different about AKA than other con artists I've read about or seen is that he's always multitasking and running multiple and different scammy things at once. Coins, women, furniture, identities, businesses, poison, benefits scam, plagiarism. Maybe even real estate scams. The list is probably not even complete yet.

Far too many "coincidences" in this one - IMO

That shop opens in 1992 - right in AH stomping ground
Everything aligns to AH goings on during those years - including his new alias of RWL

The deH family return from Tasmania 1992 - around February / March
2 Oct 1992 Fernand Nocolas Remakel QLD License renewed - expires 1997

Now living in Ballina

Travelling on a false passport - Richard Lloyd Westbury - Passport number 6
This is the SAME year - 1992 - he officially changed his name to FdeH

He made 10 trips from 1992 to 1997 under RLW -
Then in 1997 - the same year Marion goes missing - he changes his name to FdeH in the local Northern Rivers Phone Directory – the phone directory was produced in for the following year……...1998

FLYING JAL AIRLINES ROUND TRIP EACH TIME - ALL JAL FLIGHTS FLEW OUT OF AMSTERDAM
1992 - 6 October Leaves Aust - Returns 3 November - from Belgium

1993 May – to Belgium @ 1 month - stayed at Hotel Nikko Narita - right beside airport

1993 Sept - to Belgium for couple months - stayed at Hotel Nikko Narita
(his son is @14 and daughter @12 at this time - was this when they got braces - AH saying he was CdeH godson - as seen on spotlight) -
((DdeH has testified she never flew again after returning from Europe in the 80s, aside from MdeH wedding in Bali))

1994 - MARCH to APRIL 1994 -Belgium - JAL - stayed at Hotel Nikko Narita

1994 - July 1994 to Sept – @2 months in Belgium - JAL
1994 - THE SAME YR he meets ER and tells her he has a briefcase full of cash

4 trips in 1995
1995 - February - to March - JAL - passenger card says from Belgium
1995 - 19 April to 26 April - JAL - from Belgium
1995 - June? -
1995 - 20 Oct to 31 Oct - JAL - from Belgium

June 17 1997 - flys JAL - Belgium - Returns July 31 1997
HIS LAST FLIGHT ON JAL - "came to a screeching holt", AC.

2 yrs later: and a new plan takes place

1999 - 4 November - His fake passport under Richard Lloyd Westbury is cancelled and a new passport is issued under Rich Richard the same day

AH CHANGES AIRLINES:
1999 - 2 December - AH flies out of Australia UNDER this new passport of Rich Richard to Bali and then UK -Travelling with J. Oldenburg - While she was dating him she knew him as Ric West but she saw that he also went by the name Richard Lloyd Westbury and notices a deed poll name change to Rich Richard.

DIANE SAYS AT INQUEST SHE KNEW HIM AS RIC WEST
So she knew him as Ric West but she and children took the De Hedervary name and he’s going by Ric Blum at the inquest. Regardless of anything else, that must be odd to his family?

So she knew him as Ric West but she and children took the De Hedervary name and he’s going by Ric Blum at the inquest. Regardless of anything else, that must be odd to his family?
When you look at whats been diclosed at the inquest, the MBFB Page and then what the neighbours have mentioned, Dianne/ Diane/ Anne / Annie knew him as Willy Wouters, Willy Coppenolle, Willy / Will David Coppenolle ,
Fredi / Fredy David, Ric / Ricky David, Frederic / Ric / Ricky de Hedervary / Hedervay, Ric West , Ric Blum

That alone, given she only disclosed at inquest she knew him as Fredi / Fredy / David / Willy Wouters - " I called him Ric because it reminds me of a frog", then dehedervary at marriage and finally Ric West and Ric Blum

IMO she knew many other names

Then you have all the name changes / letter swaps / letter drops, between her , him and so far, the daughter - this family is more than a travelling circus

If nothing else they have Diane for perjury on multiple occasions

What did you all think of Laura Richards’ opinion that DdH is a shell of a woman totally sucked dry by RB’s coercive control? So beaten down she never questioned anything? I was surprised how vehemently she defended D’s victimhood. She cites the UK neighbor who said D was terrified of RB and other things, including the fact that D is still alive, hence she never stood up to him or questioned anything he did. Another source who said D had no money but a pitiful allowance. All purchases made by RB, including gas in the car. Also the constant moving would have destabilized her life and been another form of control. No roots, no friends, no routine etc. I guess I’m alluding to a source here and not sure how to attribute except Crime Analyst podcast.

What did you all think of Laura Richards’ opinion that DdH is a shell of a woman totally sucked dry by RB’s coercive control? So beaten down she never questioned anything? I was surprised how vehemently she defended D’s victimhood. She cites the UK neighbor who said D was terrified of RB and other things, including the fact that D is still alive, hence she never stood up to him or questioned anything he did. Another source who said D had no money but a pitiful allowance. All purchases made by RB, including gas in the car. Also the constant moving would have destabilized her life and been another form of control. No roots, no friends, no routine etc. I guess I’m alluding to a source here and not sure how to attribute except Crime Analyst podcast.
I think that coercive control is complex. She met him when she was very young, has children with him, and this has been going on for many years. When you think about this much (alleged, IMO) manipulation, it’s complicated.

However, clearly at this stage any information that would help Sally and other women needs to be given.

IMO I was thinking Stockholm syndrome after I listened??
I’m not sure anything fully explains her??
She’s survived and many close to her haven’t

I was actually surprised that LR only talked about one side of DdeH and that was the coercive control side, that LR is really so well known for and rightly so too.

Especially in this case, there is no doubt that coercive control is front and central to this case.
And painting DdeH as a woman who was under control of her husband, would certainly help her should this case go to trial - no charges for her should she spill all.

BUT there have been just as many people come forward painting a VERY different image of DdeH - one who stood up to him, acknowledged happily some of his deceitful ways, never saw her as a diminutive figure in the marriage - in fact the complete opposite - their long time neighbor on the GC who lived right beside them in the unit, would have been at least one that LR could have taken the opinion of and others who also knew them very well in the swimming industry - commenting she was always dripping in gold jewelry and not afraid of him at all.

Their own son even threatened a victim with a law suit !
This family isn't under any control - they are the controllers IMO

They lived in a pigsty as one neighbour commented and DdeH herself said they didn't have much because they were always moving - very handy

The thing that sticks with me is IF she was concerned about herself and her children way back in the early 1980s and then they arrived back into Australia - her own family were here for her - Her sister PR is a multimillionaire +, and they were obviously in contact all those years - Maite worked for her cousin and it was PR the sister who contacted Diane when she saw Ric on television all those yrs later.

In todays world we could say Bonnie of Bonnie and Clyde fame, was under coercive control too
But she was his loyal companion - lived for the chase, loved the chase, was rewarded for it. Just like Diane.
Diane could have left anytime in her life. She chose him.
Its a thin line IMO

IMO I imagine DdH as beginning her relationship with AKA as an innocent perhaps malleable personality, becoming an enabler out of some sense of survival, then graduating to a perpetuator/exploiter of the situation. I see it as a shifting morality. Can’t really see it as starkly black and white, or then and now.

Clearly DdeH isn’t the brains behind the operation as he was a manipulative criminal long before he knew her. I fully respect LR and her podcast but she has cast every woman in this case as a victim almost without question. There are obviously a number of real vulnerable female victims of Aka (some still unknown to us) and there is no question that Aka has proved himself to be a misogynistic sociopath that is a real danger to any woman that becomes trapped in his web of lies and identities.

DdeH his long-term Government funded ‘Carer’ has had more than enough opportunity including at the Inquest to spill the beans. She cannot be blind to what has been going on for nearly 5 decades with some of it right under her nose. This guy is aged 84. Does she still consider him a threat with the Police and media fully aware of him now? Perhaps she is doing it to protect her own adult son/daughter and that’s assuming they weren’t aware previously and a number might question that. Perhaps she still feels some misguided loyalty to him and she might not be the only one. Perhaps there is something much bigger at play here and playing the naive & submissive wife is the best way of saying very little.

JMO IMHO etc.

I love LR and her expertise and work. I just don’t think she was able to get across every single angle on this one.
Re DdH - maybe an inclination to not work, comes into it too?

I think that coercive control is complex. She met him when she was very young, has children with him, and this has been going on for many years. When you think about this much (alleged, IMO) manipulation, it’s complicated.

However, clearly at this stage any information that would help Sally and other women needs to be given.
Yes. It’s complex. Can be true and explain a victim’s behavior but at the same time does not acquit them of their own bad behavior, collusion, or criminal acts. Thanks!

I am now in this camp. I was a "Marion Returned-er" all this time, but now-- due to his methods with the other women-- I'm with you @mishy66. But I also believe He may have had the means to withdraw money with no woman by his side given the documents he had and the erroneous driver's license. This is based on how he swindled the other women and the means he had.
I’m with you & Mishy66! Absolutely changes the direction and dynamics of this case. He is a con man, grifter, and psychopath. She is gone - as a result of crossing his path.
I’m really trying to understand why his Ballina family continues to blithely stand by and allow this travesty to continue.
I suspect out of necessity and dependency, maybe even loyalty. It’s like the Stockholm syndrome. The victims become close with their tormentor and captor, the one or ones who control and manipulate their marks. Devoid of emotion, such cretins are ice cold and guilt-free.

I am more aligned with he left her with NO formal ID at all and threatened her / scared her enough to have her stay in the UK, knowing whatever it was that he threatened her with would be enough for her to stay quiet and remain there.
Then at some time later he killed her - and she had never been identified - a Jane Doe

JMO
I like this line of thinking. Esp. The JANE DOE factor. Very probable.

His mention of the Harwich (Essex) to Hook of Holland NIGHT ferry at the inquest in respect of JO really did prick my ears up. This ferry crosses the North Sea. I wonder if any unidentified women have been washed up on the Essex/Suffolk/Norfolk coast around the late 1990s?

Marion kept mentioning Amsterdam over and over again in correspondence. Would she be persuaded to travel back to Australia without visiting Amsterdam first. It seems unlikely to me.

Another aspect though is that Marion did appear to be travelling West in the UK from her postcards. Her last one I believe is the Surrey/Hampshire one. They were edging closer to Southampton and it’s airport and ferry/ship terminal. As I’ve mentioned before Southampton Airport does quick/cheap flights to Amsterdam.
Phenomenal insight and points. Thanks for the fresh perspective and overlooked details. All relevant probabilities should be pursued and investigated to exhaustion by LE.

Clearly DdeH isn’t the brains behind the operation as he was a manipulative criminal long before he knew her. I fully respect LR and her podcast but she has cast every woman in this case as a victim almost without question. There are obviously a number of real vulnerable female victims of Aka (some still unknown to us) and there is no question that Aka has proved himself to be a misogynistic sociopath that is a real danger to any woman that becomes trapped in his web of lies a
Agree 100%. LR used DdeH's lack of emotion during the inquest as proof that she is a victim of coercive control. While it's very probably true, watching her again I also got the impression she was suppressing anger at having to give evidence at all. Not appearing shocked at some of the revelations was, possibly, because she's known for years her husband is a liar, cheat & thief. New names, dates that don't align, multiple infidelities - she wasn't being told anything that surprised her.

IMO She might have been young when they met and got tangled in his coercive web, but she's tougher than she looks and is, to some extent, a partner in crime. Until anything is proven she's standing by her man. Probably why the relationship lasted.

I imagine she tried very hard not to have to testify and was, perhaps, subpeonaed.
I wonder if they've booked 'a holiday' for when the findings take place...
JMO

Clearly DdeH isn’t the brains behind the operation as he was a manipulative criminal long before he knew her. I fully respect LR and her podcast but she has cast every woman in this case as a victim almost without question. There are obviously a number of real vulnerable female victims of Aka (some still unknown to us) and there is no question that Aka has proved himself to be a misogynistic sociopath that is a real danger to any woman that becomes trapped in his web of lies and identities.

DdeH his long-term Government funded ‘Carer’ has had more than enough opportunity including at the Inquest to spill the beans. She cannot be blind to what has been going on for nearly 5 decades with some of it right under her nose. This guy is aged 84. Does she still consider him a threat with the Police and media fully aware of him now? Perhaps she is doing it to protect her own adult son/daughter and that’s assuming they weren’t aware previously and a number might question that. Perhaps she still feels some misguided loyalty to him and she might not be the only one. Perhaps there is something much bigger at play here and playing the naive & submissive wife is the best way of saying very little.

JMO IMHO etc.
100% agree

She is no victim here, but a willing and knowing player

Imo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors