Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #6 *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The court heard Victorian homicide detectives had compiled a whopping 773-page brief of evidence against Lynn, whose flight attendant wife Melanie tuned into the video link hearing in her husband's absence.

Interesting that his wife should 'tune in' to the hearing.

Also from that DM article:

Speaking then, [Inspector] Stamper said police believed Mr Hill more than likely met foul play after getting into an argument with another camper in the remote Victorian wilderness.

The camping site Lynn is believed to have been set up at on March 20 last year had been sought after among those who entered the rugged section of bush.

Nestled upon the river, it is a camping site Mr Hill too liked to enjoy while there.

But when police found his gutted tent, it was not in that perfect camping spot, but some 100 metres away.

Mr Stamper said Mr Hill would have bumped into the other camper as he went to the river to retrieve water.

'We believe, that based upon what we know about Russell and how passionate he was and how experienced he was in that area and the camp in general, that it would make sense for him to go to a certain position which has access to the river, a nice little campfire already made-up, but the position that he actually chose ... is not as good,' he said.

'The only reason we can assume Russell didn't camp in the best spot was potentially there was somebody else already there.'

Mr Stamper said if Mr Hill's interaction with that camper became confrontational, he would have been unlikely to have taken a step back.

On Monday, the court heard the crown will be relying on phone records, the transcript of an “ongoing” interview, intercepted phone calls and digital surveillance material to prove their case.

The court heard four witnesses will be called to give evidence during the hearing, including ballistics expert Paul Griffiths and forensics officer Mark Gellatly.

The court heard his [Griffiths] evidence was crucial to the case, particularly in terms of the “bullet trajectory”.

The matter will return to court on January 16 for the four day committal hearing.

Is this the first time they've actually said how they died.

Edited to say I posted before reading the whole of the article.
So it is the first time. Even though it was pointing that way.
Just want to add... it is still alleged due to the involvement of the ballistics expert. Media are implying that is the final cause of death but keep in mind it might not be all there was to it.

Interesting to see how they saw to involve a ballistics expert. Did they find remnants of gunpowder during testing or (and I hate to say) bones with evidence of bullet holes. Or is it just an avenue to find evidence.
I wonder if there were witnesses that may of heard gunshots from the area too

The court heard 11 witnesses will be called to give evidence in the preliminary hearing.

It is understood Lynn had been under surveillance by police for months before his arrest.

The court heard the police brief contained mountains of transcripts of secret recordings of Lynn captured by detectives as part of 'Operation Lexicon'.

Detectives believe the bodies had been dumped in the area the very day they went missing on March 20, 2020.

Mystery remains, for now, over what else police found at the burial site.

The court heard 11 witnesses will be called to give evidence in the preliminary hearing.

It is understood Lynn had been under surveillance by police for months before his arrest.

The court heard the police brief contained mountains of transcripts of secret recordings of Lynn captured by detectives as part of 'Operation Lexicon'.

Detectives believe the bodies had been dumped in the area the very day they went missing on March 20, 2020.

Mystery remains, for now, over what else police found at the burial site.
Wonder what the transcripts reveal and who he spoke to and what about

Or maybe someone after the fact has come forward.
Or at least someone who maybe was part of a recorded call has been spoken to.
Or perhaps he was ringing someone not regarding the murders but his mobile phone location were the interesting details of the phone call. He might’ve been in a location specific to the investigation whilst making a call. Or made calls regarding selling a trailer

Just want to add... it is still alleged due to the involvement of the ballistics expert. Media are implying that is the final cause of death but keep in mind it might not be all there was to it.
I agree. Russell didn't say anything on the CB call to his friend so I think there is more to this than an argument that occurred. I just feel poor RH and CC were at the wrong place at the wrong time and didn't know they were in danger. IMO danger came looking for them. I have my suspicions as to why the campsite was burned, obviously not to leave a trace of the perp, but perhaps RH and CC were kind and friendly so offered the perp hospitality and were perhaps surprised. So sad. I feel so bad for them. MOO.

It crossed my mind that the trailer may have come up in at least one of the recorded calls.

It would have been checked out by police and either nothing came of it, or who knows, there may be news about it at the trial. They may know what happened to it, even if they don't know where it ended up.

A logical reason why he killed Carol would be that she witnessed him shooting RH and had to be eliminated.
I understand what you are saying and am not disparaging your comment in any way, I just wanted to say that I just find logic in this case as non existant. Just ignore my ramblings because I'm just upset that this happened at all and that there are such people getting their jollies out of horror. I mean no ill intent to your comment.

On Monday, the court heard the crown will be relying on phone records, the transcript of an “ongoing” interview, intercepted phone calls and digital surveillance material to prove their case.

The court heard 4 witnesses will be called to give evidence during the hearing, including ballistics expert Paul Griffiths and a forensics officer.

The Crown prosecutor reminded the court that Griffiths was unavailable for the duration of the four day hearing, and suggested the firearms expert could appear on another date.

The court heard his evidence was crucial to the case, particularly in terms of the “bullet trajectory”.

The bullet trajectory is more than interesting. I know this would be a horrific scenario, but perhaps RH was standing and CC was lying down. There would be no defence to shooting an unarmed victim who’s lying down, can’t cause him harm and can’t defend herself.

https://www.news.com.au/national/vi...s/news-story/cae0d4746b916462b98df1f5cd419a36

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader