AZ AZ - Chelsea Grimm, 32, traveling from San Diego CA to CT, car found Oct 5 on Forest Rd 6 near Williams, she was last seen in Williams, 28 Sep 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree that a woman, or man, crying in a cemetery wouldn't trigger any alarms with most people. What I recall reading in the article about the bodycam video of the officer interacting with her is this - clipped from a CBS article posted above:

"The officer says he was responding to a call about suspicious activity at the Williams Cemetery"

So someone reported her, and why? What was she doing, because as you said, walking barefoot isn't suspicious, nor is crying, in a cemetery. She seemed coherent enough in the bodycam footage, but did he search her car? What if someone carjacked her there and was in the backseat and he didn't even realize it?
I’m starting to wonder if a lot of this unusual behaviour, the disorientation at the motel and change of plans etc could perhaps be explained by substance abuse.

Chelsea Grimm Timeline
(Using US date format)
CCS - Coconino County Sheriff

09/24/2023 CG leaves her home in San Diego to travel to a wedding in Connecticut [12news]

09/27/2023 last known contact with CG in Phoenix Arizona [CCS updates] CG meets friend for lunch in Phoenix [CBS8]

09/27/2023 CG calls her parents from AZ and says she isn’t going to make it in time for the wedding and will stop and camp for a couple of days in Arizona instead. [12news]

“She said 'I think what I'm going to do is just take a couple of days and camp. And I'll get back to you. Please don't expect to hear from me for a couple of days,'" Janet Grimm said. [12news]

09/28/2023 CG cancels lunch plans with the same friend she’d met the day before [CBS8]

09/28/2023 (no time available) CG reported to be disoriented when she tried to book a motel room in Seligman AZ and tried to “exchange Euros as opposed to US currency” [CBS8]

09/28/2023 (no time available) CG speaks to a Williams resident in their driveway [CBS8]

09/28/2023 20:40 time on bodycam video. LE respond to a call about “suspicious activity at the Williams Cemetery” and finds CG in her car with a bearded dragon. She told him she was emotional after taking photos of veterans graves. He smells marijuana and asks if she’s been smoking, and she says she did a few hours before. Officer says he didn’t feel she was disoriented and leaves her there. [CBS8]

“Driscoll says her phone and credit card activity also stopped” - the reports suggest but don’t specifically say this happened on or around 28th. TBC.

09/30/2023 12:00 noon. A woodcutter spots CG’s car on “that dirt road” [Forest Rd 6] and stopped to talk to her “where she was in a nearby field” She said she was fine, didn’t need help and was out taking photographs. [CBS8]

10/04/2023 CG is reported missing to Phoenix Police by her parents. [CCS updates]

10/05/2023 her vehicle, a white Ford Escape is located by hunters on Kaibab National Forest Road 6 northeast of Ashfork [CCS updates]
“On October 5th, hunters northeast of Ash Fork, Arizona in the Kaibab National Forest reported a suspicious white 2019 Ford Escape with two flat tires parked on a forest service road. They had noticed it two days prior on their journey in, and were surprised to see it still sitting there.” [12news]

Refs

thank you so much,

the one thing I DO find weird is that she cancelled going to the wedding
that's not like cancelling dinner plans ... a wedding invitation is pretty important to most people IMO, especially when you're travelling to attend
that makes me think that she was going through something mentally heavy and just couldn't bring herself to continue

I find it more odd to plan to go to a wedding, and travel cross country rather than just get on a plane.
I really wonder what more her folks have to say about that.

I find it more odd to plan to go to a wedding, and travel cross country rather than just get on a plane.
Just throwing this out there since she admittedly smokes marijuana, I have a few relatives who refuse to fly because they’re afraid to take marijuana with them to the airport, and they don’t want to be at their destination without it.

Some prefer to drive because of the scenery. Some have an aversion to being encapsulated in cramped quarters with strangers on an airplane. Some don’t have the funds to fly, then rent transportation at their destination, and don’t want to rely on borrowing someone else’s car, or worse, being stuck in an unpleasant/annoying situation with no way to get away.

Perhaps CG preferred driving over flying with her bearded dragon.

IMO, there are many reasons one might choose to drive rather than fly.

not all people like airplanes, especially after Covid. I get it, as a photographer myself, a road trip gives one opportunity, to explore, connect with nature, see different architecture/landscapes, try different food. I actually drove from California to Texas alone all through Route 66 and camped in Flagstaff in my car, so this case hits me, it could have been me. Flagstaff is beautiful, There is some forest and mountain areas , not like the typical desert and cactus the most people think of Arizona. I would prefer to drive than fly any day, if I have the money and time To do so. I pray for her and her family.

She says she's the Free Spirit type on her FB.

From her FB:

//I'm just a psychologically & artistically based free-spirit, mixed up with pixie-dust & gold flecks... I LOVE music, well most music. I hate all (well, most) people but LOVE my family, friends, and animals... What else u wanna know!?//

Plus, she travels barefoot. And drives (rather than flies) cross country to meet up with family (at a wedding). Mentions she is mixed up with Pixie Dust.

To me, that means "free spirit," especially as she herself uses the term.

IMO>
Pixie dust as in pcp (no judgement) or more like she’s being cute/funny and saying she’s magical? One could perhaps have impacted her disappearance (disoriented & lost, etc).

Pixie dust as in pcp (no judgement) or more like she’s being cute/funny and saying she’s magical? One could perhaps have impacted her disappearance (disoriented & lost, etc).
I would go with the magical, I picked up on that immediately. I could see her on edibles or mushrooms, but never angel dust. MOO

<modsnip - comments on social media aren't allowed>

There’s also an upload on her Instagram stories which shows a planned route on satnav, uploaded on the 25th although (ofc bear in mind it might not be FROM that date but let’s assume it probably is for sake of discussion) which shows part of the screen with the following details visible:

Live Oak
towards
Manzanit
Pkway/ O
Hwy 80

My knowledge of the area, US terminology and satnav aren’t good enough to be certain about what I think I’m reading, but even if I just take the Hwy 80 part, that starts in San Francisco which seems an unusual place to be if you’re going from San Diego to Arizona / on to Connecticut. How sure are we that she left on the 24th?

Actually, we really need a timeline. I’ll start pulling one together.

If it says Highway 80, then it's unlikely to be Interstate 80. Arizona has its own State Highway 80. it's in the far southern part of the state (south of Phoenix). Goes through a place called Miracle Valley and is truly beautiful land, to me. However, I'm thinking that she turned onto the I-8 because she arrives in Phoenix soon enough.

Manzanita Parkway is in California (so is Live Oak) and sure enough, she does seem to be taking the hot southern route to Arizona. Turns out that Manzanita Parkway used to be known as Highway 80 and is called Old Highway 80 on google maps. It turns into I-8 which follows the route of Old Highway 80.

From there, she would have turned north to Phoenix (she would have been traveling near and directly parallel to the Mexican Border until Yuma). I would assume she took the I-80 at that point.

She makes it to Phoenix, decides not to go to the wedding, ghosts her friend and heads north toward Grand Canyon area, but then turns back west to go to Williams and Seligman, so very close to Grand Canyon, but drives back toward California as far as Williams (which is still pretty country) and then turns around and goes east to Ash Fork, and ends up with her car, with two flat tires, on a forest road near Ash Fork.

Where she is last seen by a woodcutter.

I do wonder what was so suspicious at the cemetery that someone called in.

Last edited by a moderator:
@branmuffin she texted her parents about the change in plans
“Several days into the trip, Chelsea texted her parents. She told us she probably wasn’t going to the make it to the wedding, and she was going to stay in Arizona for awhile and do some camping,” said Janet.
Also
“No phone, keys or wallet inside the SUV, but there was a camera. The Grimms say they were led to believe by law enforcement, a selfie in the camera roll was taken after her vehicle broke down. In the photo, she is wearing a purple top.

Another photo shows her with a recent mask. She's traveling with her pet, a bearded dragon.”

Wondering why they have not pinged the phone or have I missed that?
Jmo
Her leaving her camera behind is a bad sign. As a photographer myself I would never leave mine behind as you never know when you might need it.

“Yeah, if it’s okay with you if I hang out here for another like 15 or 20 and then head on the road, that would be my plan I think,” Grimm tells the officer. “Do you have a hotel around here?” asked the officer. “I don’t, I was actually thinking of just camping for the night, but I wasn’t really sure exactly yet. I didn’t plan to be here until sunset,” Grimm says.

“The yellow lights up there, the Loves? It’s the trucker stop. In the gas station area, you can sleep there. Nobody will bother you.” the officer says. “Awesome. Yeah, love that,” Grimm replied.

I’m starting to wonder if a lot of this unusual behaviour, the disorientation at the motel and change of plans etc could perhaps be explained by substance abuse.

IMO this is cop speak. Like how they can't talk to a person, they have to "contact" a person. I don't think this means that the person reporting the activity called it suspicious and I don't think its a judgement call from the responding officer, its moreso just a way to categorize why the officer responded at all. IMO

If it says Highway 80, then it's unlikely to be Interstate 80. Arizona has its own State Highway 80. it's in the far southern part of the state (south of Phoenix). Goes through a place called Miracle Valley and is truly beautiful land, to me. However, I'm thinking that she turned onto the I-8 because she arrives in Phoenix soon enough.

Manzanita Parkway is in California (so is Live Oak) and sure enough, she does seem to be taking the hot southern route to Arizona. Turns out that Manzanita Parkway used to be known as Highway 80 and is called Old Highway 80 on google maps. It turns into I-8 which follows the route of Old Highway 80.

From there, she would have turned north to Phoenix (she would have been traveling near and directly parallel to the Mexican Border until Yuma). I would assume she took the I-80 at that point.

She makes it to Phoenix, decides not to go to the wedding, ghosts her friend and heads north toward Grand Canyon area, but then turns back west to go to Williams and Seligman, so very close to Grand Canyon, but drives back toward California as far as Williams (which is still pretty country) and then turns around and goes east to Ash Fork, and ends up with her car, with two flat tires, on a forest road near Ash Fork.

Where she is last seen by a woodcutter.

I do wonder what was so suspicious at the cemetery that someone called in.
So I guess the last person to see her is the wood cutter. I would love to see an interview with him to get his impressions. JMO

CT abandoned car on Coconino Sheriff's Facebook website.

From Univision Arizona

Last edited:
so the image isn't incredibly clear, but can anyone hazard a guess as to whether Chelsea's car is in the same spot between the time of the "photo with flowers" and the LE body cam video?

387830132_695282455966168_7963394374941904832_n.jpg AZFamily Arizona News - [lB46T7O1gks - 1280x720 - 0m12s].png

Photo of flowers from FB Coconino County post, screenshot from YouTube video news report.

When did she get two flat tires? I am assuming that if she had two flats, she would have to tow it (Generously assuming if she had a spare tire, which is quite rare these days, would still be one tire short.)

If she already had two flat tires by the time of the LE body cam footage, I find it very strange that she didn't mention it.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kzrrz
Back