Bosma Murder Trial 02.10.16 - Day 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but it wont much matter about seals now that the doors have flown open and 'broken' them anyway. !! The padlock was obviously not locked on the 403 IMHO

You're right. LE messed up. Seems that the padlock was locked, but wasn't actually securing the back door. If you look at previous pics of trailers you can see how this could happen. It was unsecured for approx 2 minutes on a busy highway and the officer took her eyes off the back for some seconds because she was trying to get the towtruck driver's attention. So, possibly, during those few seconds, a man or woman with super powers could have planted a bunch of evidence against DM.

Just to clear up some confusion about the operation of the trailer door. Trailers designed to haul vehicles typically have a single ramp door. In my experience they would have 2 bar latches to secure them. Here is a short video to show how the latches work. You can see that the door will not open unless the little catch is flipped up. That would be impossible with the lock secured through the hole that is there for the purpose of locking the latch (you can see in the police picture showing the seal that the latch is properly secured).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UEKB9wPXw68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My theory is that there must have been something wrong with the door for it to open while the latch was locked. Perhaps that is why the police found loading ramps in the trailer even though they wouldn't be necessary because the door could be used to load and unload.

By the way - the driver is completely responsible for securing the trailer and its cargo. If the door was broken, a thorough pre-trip circle check should have revealed the problem. If the cargo shifted (and we know the jeep moved in the trailer on the way back from Baja due to it not being secured properly - can't find the picture currently but it was discussed earlier in another thread) that technically is also the driver's responsibility. Although it would have been difficult in this case to verify that the cargo inside was secured since the trailer was sealed.

BBM. Thank you for adding the clarity. With regards to the driver being responsible for the load...this is 100% true. But I am wondering if there is something in play here whereby he/she is told to not touch anything! It was a tow truck driver, not LE (unless I missed something here to say otherwise.) Typically you would see the person towing walk around the vehicle, pull on doors etc. to ensure it is secure. They may have been advised to not touch a thing? MOO

Spiritualists and ghost hunters would have a field day with that.
No hill that big between Kleinburg and Hamilton. ;) The hill they are talking about on the 403 near Ancaster is a long steep incline, plus some relatively sharp curves in that area too. Think the bouncing and pressure going uphill must have released a possibly defective latch?

You're right. LE messed up. Seems that the padlock was locked, but wasn't actually securing the back door. If you look at previous pics of trailers you can see how this could happen. It was unsecured for approx 2 minutes on a busy highway and the officer took her eyes off the back for some seconds because she was trying to get the towtruck driver's attention. So, possibly, during those few seconds, a man or woman with super powers could have planted a bunch of evidence against DM.
Keebler Elves with DM finger print stamps? Now the truck is at forensics- and TB is still just missing. I guess this is the time for some good forensic evidence- GSR, blood etc. MOO

Why are they doing these fingerprints one at a time? So far it appears to be due to (at least) two different techs. But c'mon! The time it takes to explain fingerprints each time to the jury? "There's GOTTA be a better way!" lol

No hill that big between Kleinburg and Hamilton. ;) The hill they are talking about on the 403 near Ancaster is a long steep incline, plus some relatively sharp curves in that area too. Think the bouncing and pressure going uphill must have released a possibly defective latch?

100%. She said they drove about 2km before she could get the driver's attention. 2km back from Golf Links Road (where she said they pulled over) is right near the top of the 403 as you start to curve toward the left and onto the escarpment. And that is pot hole season....early May. They usually don't get those filled til around September. ;)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2198873,-79.9507823,14z

Susan Clairmont &#8207;@susanclairmont 52m52 minutes ago
More subdued than last week.

Jason Davis @jasondavis2679
@susanclairmont Can you please tell us the demeanor of Millard? Last week he was cocky and waving to the HPS detective. Thnx & great work

Why are they doing these fingerprints one at a time? So far it appears to be due to (at least) two different techs. But c'mon! The time it takes to explain fingerprints each time to the jury? "There's GOTTA be a better way!" lol

I was going to ask the same thing. Is this simply a scheduling thing with LE? If not it makes no sense to me at this point. I am trying to figure out why the print on the mirror and the print on the door are being discussed by different LE people in a completely different week.

Just to clear up some confusion about the operation of the trailer door. Trailers designed to haul vehicles typically have a single ramp door. In my experience they would have 2 bar latches to secure them. Here is a short video to show how the latches work. You can see that the door will not open unless the little catch is flipped up. That would be impossible with the lock secured through the hole that is there for the purpose of locking the latch (you can see in the police picture showing the seal that the latch is properly secured).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UEKB9wPXw68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My theory is that there must have been something wrong with the door for it to open while the latch was locked. Perhaps that is why the police found loading ramps in the trailer even though they wouldn't be necessary because the door could be used to load and unload.

By the way - the driver is completely responsible for securing the trailer and its cargo. If the door was broken, a thorough pre-trip circle check should have revealed the problem. If the cargo shifted (and we know the jeep moved in the trailer on the way back from Baja due to it not being secured properly - can't find the picture currently but it was discussed earlier in another thread) that technically is also the driver's responsibility. Although it would have been difficult in this case to verify that the cargo inside was secured since the trailer was sealed.

The trailer was only comprised between Hamilton and Tillsonburg. The locking system seemed to hold well prior to that. Thank you for the info on the latching.

The trailer was in Hamilton overnight and all day Monday.

LE should have sent another officer with her. That person could have used the cell to contact the tow truck driver.

<rsbm>

Illegal to use a cell phone while driving, so LE certainly can't break those rules!

I look forward to the day that he is sentenced (yes, yes innocent till proven guilty and all of that bull crap inserted here) and they hopefully smile at him, before shedding tears for the loss of their loved one and our friend.

I sure can't speak for everyone but I think I speak for many when I say, I think we're all looking forward to that day.

I thought we werer getting closer to exciting testimony from MB, CN, AM, SS and others but instead...well today has been brutal.

So LE who had the trailer in a secured facility tampered with the trailer latch sometime overnight and through Monday before it left for Tillsonburg?

again.....agreed.....with respect, what's your point? There have been no allegations or inferences by anyone other than you (defense lawyers included) that the trailer was compromised before the magic box came flying out.....

Do we know if this trailer was equipped with a single fold down door (in which case, there would be 2 handles to latch into the cam) or duel doors which meet in the center requiring only one locking system? If duel doors, then the ramps would be necessary for loading of the truck.

Do we know if this trailer was equipped with a single fold down door (in which case, there would be 2 handles to latch into the cam) or duel doors which meet in the center requiring only one locking system? If duel doors, then the ramps would be necessary for loading of the truck.

LE found ramps in the back of TBs truck, when they got the go-ahead to search the contents of the trailer

Keebler Elves with DM finger print stamps? Now the truck is at forensics- and TB is still just missing. I guess this is the time for some good forensic evidence- GSR, blood etc. MOO

:silly: thank you. After shoveling the wretched driveway *again*, I kind of needed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966