CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hard time believing that Bob left the house under his own steam the day he disappeared/was presumed murdered. After the dust up the previous day, I am trying to envision a Bob who would have been persuaded to get into SIL's car or who would have been able to. I know we have varying theories regarding this here-I hold onto the crime scene possibly being identified as the upstairs bathroom. The bathroom where the toilet was repaired.

Remember, we have the daughters telling LE that Bob didn't drive on the highway and then we have Bob's friends telling police about Bob's long drive to their house, introducing Fontelle to them.

One more observation about the relatives who last saw Bob alive-there seems to be an abundance of ailments and misfortune plaguing them since his case began. Again, you have to spend some time sorting through all of it-after all JuM is a self disclosed sufferer of bipolar disorder and it seems even her peeps on her community forum are questioning her veracity a bit. In any case, it seems to have intensified post her father's presumed murder. I have talked with several sources in LE about similar kinds of situations and by and large they tell me "stress does funny things to people, especially if they have a burden they are carrying."

It is hard to say with this family, but the constant bouts of misfortune are certainly interesting. JMVHO.

Checking in on Bob's case. No new developments I see. I don't know what to think anymore, someone took Bob out of that house and did away with him for his money. He needs to be found and come home, he needs to be laid to rest and his beloved Fontelle needs to have some closure. He would have never left her like this. IMO.

I still believe Bob is findable. There's an uneasiness in the atmosphere around his case that makes me believe whoever disappeared him isn't confident he can't be found. Granted, it's not very scientific. But it's all I have to go on at the moment.

I suspect a little more information may be released relatively soon. If there is movement on finalizing Bob's financial affairs, it might make sense for it to be done then, for maximum publicity?

If we didn't have the words of Bob's friend and neighbour about Bob's life between his wife's death and his reuniting with Fontelle, I honestly would be checking there were no suspicious disappearances in that period, of anyone who might have got close to Bob.

I also wonder if there is any slight possibility that Bob did change his will, but filed it with someone who doesn't know he is missing and is only to be notified upon his death? I'm probably wishful thinking there though.

The Orange County DA has just issued a press release about the prosecution of a 2009 double murder. It has taken a while but they have got there.

I haven't checked if there is a thread for the case here but it seems incomprehensible - on the way to dropping a kid off at school a person just decides to murder two people? I guess all will become known though as opening statements are tomorrow.

http://www.orangecountyda.com/home/index.asp?page=8&recordid=3854&returnurl=index.asp?page=8

Victims in that case were found though, unlike Bob.

I wonder how many no-body prosecutions there have been in OC, without any admission of guilt?

ETA: I wish I'd stop asking questions I have to go and find an answer for.

I don't have any number for just OC yet, but the updated list here is showing a good number of no body trials in CA as a whole. I suppose the more there are, the more precedents there are to follow. The law loves precedents.

http://www.nobodycases.com/no_body2.pdf

I am so glad to see this thread because I had some new thoughts and one forum was closed. I believe that his disappearance and presumed murder was premeditated, as soon as he spoke those words regarding adding Fontelle's name to the house, bank account and estate. Someone mentioned that if Bob were to be found in water, it would probably be a lake. One daughter lives in Diamond Bar, one daughter lives near Bob and the third daughter lives in Running Springs, all these places in California. Running Springs is in the mountains near two lakes, Big Bear Lake and Lake Arrowhead. The POI would need a quick and familiar place, being we are people of habits, we stick close to what we know. I saw a recent photo of Fontelle, boy could I see what this stress has done to her. Stress will also work on those that are guilty, I'm thinking and hoping that as the years pass and build, we will soon start to see cracks appearing. All of this is MOO.

BTW, there was a case in Lakewood, CA, where the husband was convicted of murdering his wife and her body still has not been found. She was the daughter of a well-known politician. There also was no crime scene, she disappeared into thin air from her house. I think her name was Jana or Jenna, something like that. Lakewood is one city over from where I live and I actually know the places they looked for her body, they even used horses. Her husband assumed wrong that he could be convicted without her body. I can find out her exact name and more details if you'd like.

:moo:Man Gets 15 Years to Life in 2000 Slaying

Los Angeles

Judge chides Long Beach man for refusing to disclose location of wife's body. Victim was daughter of late state Sen. Paul Carpenter.

March 27, 2004|Jose Cardenas | Times Staff Writer
Long Beach real estate businessman Bruce Koklich was sentenced Friday to 15 years to life in prison for killing his wife, whose body has not been found.

Norwalk Superior Court Judge Philip H. Hickok chided Koklich, 44, for his lack of remorse and his refusal to disclose where he had hidden the body of Jana Carpenter-Koklich, who disappeared from her Lakewood home more than three years ago.

She was the daughter of the late Democratic state Sen. Paul Carpenter of Cypress.

Before Hickok handed down the sentence, three family members and friends spoke about Carpenter-Koklich, who was 41 when she disappeared.

"There are no words to describe the loneliness I feel without Jana's presence in my life," the victim's mother, Janeth Carpenter, 77, told the judge. "It is especially devastating not to know where her body is, so that we could have the comfort of a final goodbye to her."

Man Gets 15 years for wife's murder

There is an interesting summary of that case here. Retired homicide Captain Ray Peavy was involved in the prosecution of 4 no body cases apparently.

It's amazing that part of the perp's plan was foiled by a lady telling teenagers to stay away from the car he'd left to be stolen, because she guessed it was a set up.

http://www.longbeachcomber.com/story.aspx?artID=3312

I hope Jana is found one day.

HMMMMM
there is a few things that suggest that he was in ether asleep or left in the night in some form of a hurry such as the state of the bed now if he was a prudent man as suggested by many points in the case file. It is unlikely that he would have left it in such a state would not have left his bed unmade, as he knew that his fiancée was coming why did he not leave the key in the mail box?
also do we know what time he made the phone call to the son in law and what was the length of time of the call?
also who had keys to the house?

There is an interesting summary of that case here. Retired homicide Captain Ray Peavy was involved in the prosecution of 4 no body cases apparently.

It's amazing that part of the perp's plan was foiled by a lady telling teenagers to stay away from the car he'd left to be stolen, because she guessed it was a set up.

http://www.longbeachcomber.com/story.aspx?artID=3312

I hope Jana is found one day.

Wouldn't it be great if Captain Peavy came out of retirement to look at Bob's case?

Wouldn't it be even better if Captain Peavy and Ken Brusic, just retired Ed of the OC Register, teamed up together?

Ah well, I can dream.

o/t The OC Reg is torturing me. They are writing about Cornish Pasties (you can get veggie ones too). I'd starve for a week if I got a Cornish Pastie at the end of it. No-one does pies in Germany, let alone pasties.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pasty-599716-pasties-meat.html

HMMMMM
there is a few things that suggest that he was in ether asleep or left in the night in some form of a hurry such as the state of the bed now if he was a prudent man as suggested by many points in the case file. It is unlikely that he would have left it in such a state would not have left his bed unmade, as he knew that his fiancée was coming why did he not leave the key in the mail box?
also do we know what time he made the phone call to the son in law and what was the length of time of the call?
also who had keys to the house?

The key not being in the mail box is such an important point, I think.

Bob's long-term housekeeper said he was a man of habit and that he was nearly always there when she was due to call. But if ever he went out, he always left the key in the mailbox. That's why she was so worried when he didn't answer the door but the key wasn't there either.

It may not be connected of course, but I do find it interesting that when son in law returned to Bob's home he seemed surprised to find the housekeeper there - as though Bob hadn't told him she was coming.

The story posted earlier about the husband who murdered his wife but overlooked the tiny detail about leaving the burglar alarm on (would anyone abducting his wife really have bothered to reset the alarm?) sets my mind racing in relation to Bob's case, and those tiny details.

I can't see any missing people featured on the OC Sheriff's website at all. :(

Very strange. A woman's body has been discovered on a quiet, residential street in low-crime Yorba Linda, (not far from Placentia) on a street lined with multi-million dollar homes. Where residents say you can 'hear a pin drop'.

It's a most unlikely place for a perp to dispose of a body and it is odd. There's been an arrest though so hopefully the victim will be identified and someone brought to justice.

And it is still not as odd as an 81-year-old just vanishing from a similar but less expensive area nearby, with a lower crime rate. I still can't believe there is an 81-year-old newlywed (then) missing in Placentia and nothing much is happening. If it was France, citizens would have taken to the streets in outrage. Still, Placentia's not Paris, France and people there do care I believe. They just don't know how to help and are waiting for guidance from Bob's loved ones on what they can do.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=9419253

There has never been a public search for Bob, to my knowledge. One is long overdue. It can actually be quite easy to find a needle in a haystack if you search in the dark, using a torch. I know that from finding lost contact lenses over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashpandaoutside