CA - Chelsea King (17) Rancho Bernardo (north San Diego County) #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SD slaying suspect - LE abduction attempt linked?
11:14 AM PST on Wednesday, March 3, 2010
By SARAH BURGE

Lake Elsinore police are investigating whether the sex offender arrested in the killing of a 17-year-old San Diego County girl might have tried to kidnap a girl in Lake Elsinore in October.

John Albert Gardner III, a resident of the unincorporated Lakeland Village neighborhood near Lake Elsinore, was arrested Sunday in Escondido on suspicion of rape and murder in the disappearance of Chelsea King. San Diego County Sheriff's Department officials said Tuesday that they found a body in a shallow grave near the shoreline of Lake Hodges that they believe is Chelsea.

More at link...
http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/PE_News_Local_W_websuspect.1da2f17.html

ETA: I think the sketch within is strikingly similar! The hair color looks slightly off, but I'm placing my bets.

What's up with the comments under that article?

Okay, I actually went to High School with John and was friends with some of the people he was friends with, and here's what I can tell you

He's a Rim of the World High School grad, class of '97. I've seen a few people leave comments about how they went to High School with him and that he was a "creep" then, but the fact of the matter is, he was seen as nice, charasmatic, and was VERY well liked. No one who knew him could believe the charges against him in 2000. He had people lined up to be character witnesses for him in court, but eventually admitted that he'd done it. We were all SHOCKED when we heard what a monster he truly was. It just goes to show that you don't truly know anyone.

From what I know of his former girlfriends (one of which he has twin boys with) they were both very small and petite-- just like the girls he's been attacking.

As for the twins, this shouldn't be seen as a huge thing, as from what I understand he's had no contact with them for quite some time. And she did know about his past, but this person is pretty much the sweetest, kindest most optimistic person in the world, and if there was anyone who could still see "good" in someone like him, it was her. Please don't judge her. She also knew him before the incident in 2000, and, like I said, if you knew John then, you didn't just know him as the child killer he is now. She just chose to believe in the facade, not his true self.

As for the 'roid rage theory, I doubt it. He seems to have fluxuated in neck size, but I think that has more to do with the pictures than him. He'd always been a beefy guy in the neck area... he's kind of built like a football player. He also doesn't really look like the guy in the Walmart video and it's kind of too young for his M.O. but I guess it's possible.

All I can say is that there is one saving grace in this tragedy, and that is that he left evidence behind and that he'll never be able to do this again. I cried when I heard they found Chelsea's body. Hopefully this case will change the way sexual preditors are processed in the system.

I'm curious if you can give me some idea of his former girlfriends age's?

The people in the neighborhood need to grow up. If Californians would've elected different legislators to represent them, JAG wouldn't have been unleashed back onto society.

If I had a son that was a sex offender, I would NEVER want him to be allowed back into society. If the legal system released him back into society, I would hate it, but if he's a legal adult I would have very limited control over him.

As a legal adult, JAG was free to go out on his own whether his parents liked it or not. Californians need to accept that Chelsea's death was a result of the way the majority of them voted. While I can understand their anger at the parents, they need to understand there's plenty of blame to go around. They need to examine what they could've and should've done differently politically to have prevented Chelsea's untimely death.

I didn't say his parents were capable of, or unable to keep him out of trouble.

Being a parent brings responsiblity (a lot of it too) to you, as the parent.

From what we have heard here from members that went to school with him - his first crime came as quite a shock - so can we "assume" his family situation was or was not dysfunctional? Don't know - don't think so.

Once your child becomes an adult your parental responsibility is lessened - to a degree. You love your children with all your being and that continues.

Years ago, my childhood best friend had a brother. We were well into our teens when we found out this brother had shot and killed a police officer - point blank. We never knew. After hearing the story from my family - how the public rode by their house and threw rotten vegetables and all sorts of nasty things - I didn't know what to think. This had all happened before we were ever born.

Her parents never told her about this awful crime - until we had found out on our own. Her father (mother had died) was asked to vouch for him once his time in prison was up - he said no. He didn't want any contact from him - didn't care to see him - washed his hands of him. I guess that is one way to handle it.

We have followed hundreds of cases here - sometimes the offenders family speaks out - other times they don't. I do fully realize that we have no right to expect them to make a statement. All we can hope is that they do.

By this guy's family coming forward it would certainly help in the investigation and lend some insight as to this guy's "inner workings". He is a POI in Amber's case (Amber's mom even followed him), he is a suspect in the jogger's attack in December. In sleuthing these cases any and all information that can be gleened is helpful.

Now that we know this guy is being looked at for other awful crimes that have happened previously - of course we are very curious as to what the "family dynamic" was under that roof.

I never said that the family should come forward. It is my opinion that they should at least make a statement but that is my opinion. As for rights of privacy - once someone living under your roof commits such a horrendous crime - your privacy is out the window and that is our laws and justice system - search warrants will be issued and your home will be searched. I never demanded that their privacy be disclosed.

What we do here is hard. Its heartbreaking. But we do it for the victims, we do it for justice. We do it for answers and hopefuly in maybe saving another child before a crime happens.

- I did not intend any. I stand by my statement that I don't believe - from what we have learned so far - that his parents have done the right things, and until we hear otherwise I will keep that stance.

As for the graffiti painting on the garage. Horrible? Yes. A crime? Yes. But understandable - yes.

Hope that clears things up.

I'm sorry you took offense to my post?

I did not take any offense to anything you said. I respect all points of view. As for dysfunctional in my use of it in the post I drew no association to JAG having or not having a dysfunctional family situation only stated that often times that is the case with our legal system.

Please pm me in the future if you feel I have been offended by you because I would like the opportunity to respond before you post a comment without clarification from me on whether i feel that way or some other way.

As a legal adult, JAG was free to go out on his own whether his parents liked it or not. Californians need to accept that Chelsea's death was a result of the way the majority of them voted. While I can understand their anger at the parents, they need to understand there's plenty of blame to go around. They need to examine what they could've and should've done differently politically to have prevented Chelsea's untimely death.

Ummm, NO! You are not pinning Chelsea's death on me, no matter how I voted!:snooty::hand: The main culprit is JAG, and that's where the responsibility ends. The case wasn't even in my part of the state, although I lived in San Diego for 10 years...
Beyond that if you want to fault Chelsea or her parents for placing her in harms way by letting her run alone... but then again that's blaming the victim and she was a 17-year-old athlete!
dr dona said:
Sorry, but I feel it is dishonest at the least and very dangerous for parents to house their RSO son who is legally registered at another address but not at theirs. Thats the reason for RSO registries- to try and keep track of these animals. Plus, this guy was a high risk offender. None of their neighbors were aware of the risk to their children and others. I think this is criminal!!! Just like Couey's family who covered for him!!!!!! I'm sorry but I do hold the parents partially responsible. They should have registered him!!!!!!!

I only see one saying the picture is a sketch. Am I missing something?

Wow. it's gone already. The first comment was by user John Gardner and it said "I know where she's at". I should have taken a screen shot.
I'm sure it was someone trying to be funny, but it was NOT cool. KWIM? Atleast they took it down quick!

SD slaying suspect - LE abduction attempt linked?
11:14 AM PST on Wednesday, March 3, 2010
By SARAH BURGE

Lake Elsinore police are investigating whether the sex offender arrested in the killing of a 17-year-old San Diego County girl might have tried to kidnap a girl in Lake Elsinore in October.

John Albert Gardner III, a resident of the unincorporated Lakeland Village neighborhood near Lake Elsinore, was arrested Sunday in Escondido on suspicion of rape and murder in the disappearance of Chelsea King. San Diego County Sheriff's Department officials said Tuesday that they found a body in a shallow grave near the shoreline of Lake Hodges that they believe is Chelsea.

More at link...
http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/PE_News_Local_W_websuspect.1da2f17.html

ETA: I think the sketch within is strikingly similar! The hair color looks slightly off, but I'm placing my bets.

He showed the girl a gun in LE? Uses knives in SD? There is a similarity yet we'll see what develops. Appreciate the link!

Sorry, but I feel it is dishonest at the least and very dangerous for parents to house their RSO son who is legally registered at another address but not at theirs. Thats the reason for RSO registries- to try and keep track of these animals. Plus, this guy was a high risk offender. None of their neighbors were aware of the risk to their children and others. I think this is criminal!!! Just like Couey's family who covered for him!!!!!! I'm sorry but I do hold the parents partially responsible. They should have registered him!!!!!!!

I do offer my sincere condolences to Chelsea's family. This case has made me physically ill!!!! Take comfort that Chelsea is with ou Lord. Also, her death may have saved the lives of other potential victims.

This is exactly the point. You have a very nice community, that was secretly ruined by the unknown presents of a sex offender. In the eyes of the community, the parents were harboring a known Register Sex Offender (i.e. criminal).

I live in a nice community with a higher than average amount of children. I expect my neighbors (soccer moms) to keep our community safe for children, the same as I do. In this case, I'd be pissed too.

It is good to be vigilant, but bear in mind that CA is one of those states whose registry doesn't draw distinctions between RSOs. That exact same offense could be listed for (a) an immature but well-meaning 19 year old who "fell in love" with a 13 year old sweetheart, who poses no risk whatsoever to your family and (b) a monster like JAG who plea bargains.
Excuse me, but a 19-year-old has NO business with a 13-year-old "sweetheart", that's why Statutory Rape charges exist! 13-year-olds cannot legally consent to sex nor marriage. We're not back in the days of Jerry Lee Lewis. That kind of guy is a predator by nature!

Wow. it's gone already. The first comment was by user John Gardner and it said "I know where she's at". I should have taken a screen shot.
I'm sure it was someone trying to be funny, but it was NOT cool. KWIM? Atleast they took it down quick!

Some people are absolutely uncalled for. Why is someone even looking to create a bit of "humor" (in his mind) following such a tragic event? I wish some people would get a life... or at least a better one?!!

Beyond that if you want to fault Chelsea or her parents for placing her in harms way by letting her run alone... but then again that's blaming the victim and she was a 17-year-old athlete!

So what do you believe? Are you a jogger? Do you run alone? Trying to understand your pov.

I do offer my sincere condolences to Chelsea's family. This case has made me physically ill!!!! Take comfort that Chelsea is with ou Lord. Also, her death may have saved the lives of other potential victims.

I agree with this to a point .. but can't help but think that if this were my relative, brother .. I'd want to believe the best about them. (As horrible as that sounds - and I mean from the first offence, not this current one) I agree that it is the law that he have his address known by LE, if he is an RSO, but part of me wonders if he had his parents / grandparents charmed in a way. "I won't do it again .. I didn't know she was 13 .. She's lying .." And there is also the guilt trip that children are so good at laying on a parent .. "I can't believe you don't believe me .. you believe her over me .. or .. I have served my time, I just want a normal life .. just let me use your address .." Etc.

I'm not trying to give this the benefit of the doubt at all .. but give it to the family a little bit. There have been a few reports from people that knew him, that he was a bit of a charmer, and was well liked. I'm sure he had his parents wrapped around his finger .. and maybe even a little scared of him. He was a big, powerful guy with probably an even bigger ego.

That being said, I am so disgusted by him, and was really hoping for a positive outcome for Chelsea and her family. I can't help but think about her father .. being that close to her body and not finding her .. he'll be tortured about the what-ifs for years to come. :(

PS: I'm a lurker-turned-poster just in the last few days .. :book:

If the people of California decided to set a lion free from the San Diego zoo, resulting in a 17 year old girl being killed, would we blame ONLY the lion?

We know what the lion is. We knew what JAG is. Fortunately, the lion is still in his cage. Unfortunately, JAG was set loose.

For those of you in San Diego that want to be part of the court system and perhaps support the King family, you can follow the animal accused of her death. As long as he's being held in jail you can check on where he's being held, his court dates and other information, such as charges, bail etc. http://apps.sdsheriff....net/wij/wij.aspx
Just type in his last name and it'll come up. He's a huge man. 6'2", 230 pounds. No one had a chance against him. His 1st court date is today at 13:30:00. If I could I'd be there just as moral support for the family. I also just got an update from the SD Sheriff's department that shows the charges. He is not eligible for bail. Thank God. ere's the latest news from the Sheriff.

Arrest: 1
Charge#: 1
Bail Flag: N... See More
Bail Amount:$0.00
Description:MURDER:FIRST DEGREE
Code:pC
Statute:187(A) PC

Arrest: 1
Charge#: 2
Bail Flag: I
Bail Amount:$0.00
Description:RAPE BY FORCE/FEAR/ETC
Code:pC
Statute:261(A)(2) PC

Bail Flag Codes:
Y or I - Charge is eligible for bail.
H or N - Inmate may not be bailed out on that given charge.

Mentalist,

While I somewhat agree with you about "blaming" his parents, its not a black or white situation - HUGE gray area here.

His parents (including the grandmother) knew his crimes, knew his propensity for possible recidivism, knew the psychologist's report. With that - they should have monitored him better, especially since he was living with them and listed their address as his.

It would be interesting to hear their account of JAG's December events - ya know, did he have a broken nose? Did they ask him how that happened? etc.

As a parent, I would be horrified if my child had done anything even remotely close to this. I would be on him like "white on rice" everyday, especially if he was living under my roof. I would know where he works, his hours, his friends, EVERYTHING, or he'd be out in the cold and not welcomed back in my house. Plus I would report it all to the local LE so they could be kept in the loop.

With that, its obvious that is not what these people did. And maybe if they had Chelsea might still be with us today. People that harbor these rabid humans and just "turn the other cheek" when it comes to their comings and goings and such need a wake up call. What if he would have killed a relative that had come to visit? What then?

Then there is the question - were they (parents) afraid of him as well? Did he threaten them? And if that is the case - then why didn't they contact LE with their concerns? Why didn't they take some type of legal action to have him removed from their home, or have him charged with the threats?

We simply don't know the answers to these questions as they have not come forward at all. I can't imagine what they must be feeling right about now. But its still a "do the right thing" type of situation and as of now - I don't believe they have and obviously the community doesn't either.

Good post, Swag1959. All kinds of things may have been noticed by his family especially if he was involved in these other crimes that are cropping up. I don't want to rush to put all the blame on his family, but I certainly do have some questions to ask them. They could be a great help in this investigation, particularly in maybe finding where Amber may be. I hope his family will be forthcoming with info and help LE in their further investigation of him.

Like you said, "do the right thing".

I'm surprised we're still not hearing anything about the high school student who was running in Kit Carson Park at the beginning of September and was grabbed, but able to break away. There were 2 suspects, and JAG could easily fit the descriptions. This was within 2 miles of RB Community Park.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/escondido/article_2aeec58d-38bb-5065-9c6e-590ec91b029a.html

I agree - said the same thing yesterday afternoon. We've had a rash of accounts of incidents at Kit Carson - far more than here in RB, yet it's so close - and now knowing he had been in Escondido ( and with the possible tie to Amber) we know that's in his "comfort circle" as well, so I could definitely see him involved in the Kit Carson incidents.

And while I posted of one I'd been told of yesterday at Westwood Club, I'd bet we'll get other local "peeping tom" incidents than that one, too, especially since his family home is very near the sort of 'open' area that is near the edge of the Westwood Club sort of in the middle of it when going back to the pool.

I agree with this to a point .. but can't help but think that if this were my relative, brother .. I'd want to believe the best about them. (As horrible as that sounds - and I mean from the first offence, not this current one) I agree that it is the law that he have his address known by LE, if he is an RSO, but part of me wonders if he had his parents / grandparents charmed in a way. "I won't do it again .. I didn't know she was 13 .. She's lying .." And there is also the guilt trip that children are so good at laying on a parent .. "I can't believe you don't believe me .. you believe her over me .. or .. I have served my time, I just want a normal life .. just let me use your address .." Etc.

I'm not trying to give this the benefit of the doubt at all .. but give it to the family a little bit. There have been a few reports from people that knew him, that he was a bit of a charmer, and was well liked. I'm sure he had his parents wrapped around his finger .. and maybe even a little scared of him. He was a big, powerful guy with probably an even bigger ego.

That being said, I am so disgusted by him, and was really hoping for a positive outcome for Chelsea and her family. I can't help but think about her father .. being that close to her body and not finding her .. he'll be tortured about the what-ifs for years to come. :(

PS: I'm a lurker-turned-poster just in the last few days .. :book:

:Welcome-12-june:

And yes I think we all agree no one is blaming his family, we are all just trying to understand the incomprehensible.

If the people of California decided to set a lion free from the San Diego zoo, resulting in a 17 year old girl being killed, would we blame ONLY the lion?

We know what the lion is. We knew what JAG is. Fortunately, the lion is still in his cage. Unfortunately, JAG was set loose.

What about mountain lions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member