GUILTY CA - Debbie Hawk, 46, Hanford, 13 June 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
ABC30.com: Debbie Hawk's Friends Hopeful

Hanford police told Action News today that they could get more evidence back from crime labs within the next few days. Once the District Attorney looks over the evidence, police say Dave Hawk could face murder charges.

Meantime, Debbie's friends have pulled together once again to look for answers in Debbie's disappearance.

Debbie Hawk's friends say Halloween was one of her favorite holidays. Hawk's friend Mike Ray said, "She had been on all of our minds all week long because of the time of season and how much she actually enjoyed it she was always doing social occasions during this time..."

... they say it's been hard for the Hawk children...

Hanford police say they've been meeting with the District Attorney's office every day. Dave Hawk denies having anything to do with his ex-wife's disappearance. He says he has hired an attorney...

Bobbisangel said:
Why announce that they are taking the case to the Pros to see if they have enough evidence? Why not just say that he is now the prime suspect?

Heck, just slap those cuffs on that creep for the final time and lock him up.
Bobbisangel,
I hear ya...I'm afraid this guy will try to run.

JerseyGirl said:
That makes it a federal case? Or is it because of potential IRS involvement?

From my post #39 -

Husband Accused of Stealing from Children's Trust Fund

Court records show Debbie Hawk was scheduled to go to court next month in Kings County for a custody hearing.

She was also about to publicly blame her ex-husband from taking money from their children's trust funds.

In 2004, she said the accounts had over $51,000 in them. A year later, the funds dropped to $23,000. And in 2006, she claimed there's now just over $11,000 in them.

To this day, Dave Hawk has refused to provide those financial records to the court.

Investigators say allegations of him stealing money from his children's trust funds is concerning. They say if Hawk took the money, they do not know what he did with it. Bank accounts show he had little or no income over the last four years.

:) From your own post #97 (makes it obvious that Dave was under-reporting his income and stealing from the trust, resulting in IRS involement - Federal because of that, and also maybe because it's murder for hire?):

People from the DA's office, the police department, the FBI and the IRS were involved in Monday's search; Lt. Smith would not say why the IRS was there.

Documents show that Debbie accused him of stealing from the kids' trust funds and underreporting his income.

FBI took items from Debbie's house for forensic testing but didn't say what the items were.

(also, to update anyone new to the thread- Debbie's attorney was shot the day before their June court date (that court date for custody & child support was then rescheduled for July), Dave has not taken a polygraph, blood was found in Debbie's home & her van, the house was vandalized, Dave dropped the kids off at Debbie's home when she did not pick them up from his visitation (he did not even bother to walk the kids to the door, so they found the bloody mess), Dave has expressed surprise that Debbie's case is classified as a murder, stated it wasn't likely that the police would ever find Debbie, and he's complained that LE are idiot's who won't even let him have his shoes back. Poor foolish baby, all Dave worries about is himself and he can't keep his arrogant mouth shut.)

philamena said:
Bobbisangel,
I hear ya...I'm afraid this guy will try to run.
I think LE has been very smart and careful with this case. They know exactly what they're doing and how to get Dave's goat; they've been playing him every step of the way. He's an arrogant *advertiser censored* who'll hang himself because he thinks he's so smart- much too arogant and confident to try to run.

JerseyGirl said:
FresnoBee.com: California: News in brief from the San Joaquin Valley

... Detectives found physical evidence, computer information and financial records that pointed to Dave Hawk, police said...
A bit more from this article -

- Hanford police did not arrest him because they want to make sure they had an "airtight" case before turning it over to Kings County prosecutors, said Police Chief Carlos Mestas.

Also on Monday, a reward from the governor's office for information leading to Debbie Hawk's killer was increased from $30,000 to $85,000, Mestas said.

Thanks Marie. Since post #97 is from over 3 months ago, and I follow dozens and dozens of cases here at WS, I hope you can understand that I'm not always able to recall details of each situation - especially when one goes quite for a while as this one sadly had.

ETA: I just read my post #97 and while I see that I summarized the fact that the FBI took items from the house, there is still no explanation as to why the FBI is involved. I'm asking if anyone knows for sure what it is that about this case that has the feds involved. Sure, I know that he was allegedly stealing from his kids' trust funds but I have no idea if that's a federal crime. That's what I'm asking.

Debbie's site doesn't seem to have been updated in a while. It still shows the reward at $30,000.

JerseyGirl said:
Thanks Marie. Since post #97 is from over 3 months ago, and I follow dozens and dozens of cases here at WS, I hope you can understand that I'm not always able to recall details of each situation - especially when one goes quite for a while as this one sadly had.

ETA: I just read my post #97 and while I see that I summarized the fact that the FBI took items from the house, there is still no explanation as to why the FBI is involved. I'm asking if anyone knows for sure what it is that about this case that has the feds involved. Sure, I know that he was allegedly stealing from his kids' trust funds but I have no idea if that's a federal crime. That's what I'm asking.
Of course I understand :) My own memory is pretty poor now a days. No, there hasn't been an official explanation of why the Feds are involved - though it surely can be inferred that they're investigating his income. Why else is anyone's guess, but I'm sure part of it involves keeping heavy pressure and stress on Dave.

I think the feds are involved because it is considered a kidnapping - I believe physical evidence indicates that she was forcibly removed from her home.

cbcrime said:
I think the feds are involved because it is considered a kidnapping - I believe physical evidence indicates that she was forcibly removed from her home.
She may have been kidnapped (assuming she wasn't already dead), but generally the FBI is only involved in kidnapings across state lines.

Perhaps they're involved because of Money Laundering - "The process by which income of illegal origin is transformed into money which appears to have been legitimately earned or obtained." And they're probably involved with the forensic analysis of the evidence

I guess that the important thing is that the more agencies that are involved, the more likely that the perpetrator will get what he deserves.

JerseyGirl said:
I guess that the important thing is that the more agencies that are involved, the more likely that the perpetrator will get what he deserves.
Amen to that! I understand why the public isn't told everything, but I still am and will be very interested in what LE is doing with this case. I can't wait till he goes to trial and realizes his goose is cooked for what he did to Debbie and her kids.

Hawk's ex now a prime suspect
Hanford police plan to give case of slain mother to Kings Co. prosecutors in near future.

Investigators refused to detail evidence they have in the case against Dave Hawk, 48, who was named a person of interest early in the investigation. Mestas did say they have physical evidence, computer information and financial records. <snip> FBI personnel are awaiting the results of more forensic tests being conducted on evidence recovered from Debbie Hawk's van and home, Mestas said.

Mestas said Hawk no longer is talking to police, adding: "We hope he will talk to us."

He [Hawk to media] reiterated previous criticisms of the police's handling of the case, saying investigators are targeting him because they have no evidence pointing to the real suspects. He called the investigation a "witch hunt."

Hawk's children still are living with him, he said.

Mestas said police don't consider Dave Hawk a flight risk and if he leaves the area, he said police were confident they could track him down.

Mestas said investigators believe other people have information about Debbie Hawk's disappearance, but he declined to say who those people were, what their possible relationship was to the case, or whether they were persons of interest or suspects.

He didn't rule out others being named as suspects.

A lot more at the link.

I wonder if Hawk really believes that he will walk out of the courtroom a free man? Is he so arrogant that he isn't sweating up a storm just waiting to see what is going to happen next?

Debbie's children must realize that LE believe that their dad murdered their mom. I wonder what they believe or if they even know what to believe. I thought the boy went to live with one of his teachers quite a while ago. Maybe Hawk just doesn't want to admit that his son refuses to live with him.

I'm glad that LE is waiting until they have an air tight case because they will only get one chance to try him. There is no way that this creep is going to get away with murdering Debbie. I just wish they could find her body. At least for the sake of the children. It's been so long now that LE might not be able to get any evidence from it even if they did find it.

Woman's body found buried in Visalia. I live in the area and just heard it on the news. Her family has been notified. RIP.

Boyzmomee said:
Woman's body found buried in Visalia. I live in the area and just heard it on the news. Her family has been notified. RIP.
"buried" :( I always hate to say this, but at least she's been found (apparently).

Thanks, Boyzmomee.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow