CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not too hard to understand really. The match they got with GEDmatch is probably not going to be introduced in evidence at all really its just a shortcut they took to identify him. The evidence will be what they took out of his garbage and then the DNA they took after he was arrested.

I bet you’re right — but my bet is that the defense will still try to argue “fruit from a poisoned tree,” so to speak. They’ll try to discredit the legal DNA match by arguing against the legality of using GEDmatch. Just a hunch, knowing how high-profile this case is. The defense will do everything in its power to get the key evidence thrown out.

Unless JJD pleads.

I bet you’re right — but my bet is that the defense will still try to argue “fruit from a poisoned tree,” so to speak. They’ll try to discredit the legal DNA match by arguing against the legality of using GEDmatch. Just a hunch, knowing how high-profile this case is. The defense will do everything in its power to get the key evidence thrown out.

Unless JJD pleads.

Yup......a good attorney will go after the methods of GED match site, etc.....they will go after the detectives & how they got the DNA.

Will the suspect plead guilty thinking he doesn't want to put his daughters thru a long trial, & lets see if they found the souvenirs he took from his victims......the defense will want to see all the evidence they have or will he plead not guilty like he did when he stole the hammer & a can of dog repellent?

I think he will plead not guilty. This guy had gotten away with it for 40 years, I don't see him rolling over easy. Unless he's had a complete nervous breakdown, I think it goes to trial, & that will take forever to get here, & will probably be a long stretched out trial.......I'm thinking 4 to 6 years from now, unless the prosecutor has a slam dunk case with all the evidence & stolen items.

But like mentioned, the attorney will fight how the familial DNA on the suspect was obtained & tracked to him. This could get messy......

Unless JJD pleads.

Any way to identify a suspect is acceptable surely? I think this will be ground breaking and cannot understand why it has never been done before in old cases. Perhaps it has been done but just never publicised ?

I cannot see how it is any different from using CODIS or familial DNA testing.
I.e. you have a database and are inputting data to obtain matches. As long as the data you are inputting was legally obtained then green light applies.

:cow:

And I’d bet $ the shoplifting where he was caught wasn’t his first (especially with his track record of luck); can you imagine being the store employees who busted him (one even pulling the hammer out of his pants) and then finding out you just cost the EAR/VR/GSK his police job?? It’s amazing JJD never went after them later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't know that he didn't. Do we know who they were ?

you actually want the defense atty. to pull every trick in the book and exhaust all avenues.... if he/she doesn't then the guy is appealing his conviction because he had a crappy atty. and in many cases gets a retrial which can take forever because now the defense knows what lost the trial the first time around and will fight tooth and nail to get those things thrown out
There is that prepondonderance of evidence thing though. She might want to focus on that a little harder, and disuade her client from taking it to trial.

From the same Wikipedia article:

Despite physical analysis, and the unusual presence or use of hand lotions, no sign of "masturbation discharge" was detected at crime scenes.

So hand lotion was present at the VR scenes? That was a major signature of later EAR crime scenes. I'm surprised that the hand lotion was evident that early. I'm also surprised that despite that similarity, some detectives still dismissed a linkage between the two series. There are just too many similarities to be ignored.

In his later crimes, he used the hand lotion for lubrication for committing his sexual assaults. The presence of hand lotion in the VR series shows he was at least planning for the possibility of rape should the opportunity arise during his burglaries. Indeed, he was carrying out an abduction when he shot the professor in 1975.
Does this mean no DNA from semen was found at the Visalia Ransaker cases because no semen was found? Or was DNA found/isolated at a later stage, once DNA was into main stream police practices? Weird that evidence of the lotion was found but no semen.

I thought it could be relevant after reading about the young girl who's hymen was undamaged.

Odd that there are witness statements for both under or over endowed. Makes me think he may have digitally raped some of his victims. And maybe used a dildo in others.

Finally caught up - had to skip 1,000 posts on the last thread! All I did was miss one day of posting.... anyway....

molly1255 said:
I am an identical twin and I took the ancestry DNA test years ago. I just purchased a DNA kit for my twin and we are both quite anxious to see the results and how we compare.

My sisters are identical twins. Would like to hear what comes up in your results!

K - here's what I've come up with:

Friday, April 27th:
*Arraignment Hearing - CA - East Area Rapist/Visalia Ransacker/Golden State Killer - Joseph James DeAngelo (72) - responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries between 1974 and 1986, when his crimes appeared to mysteriously end. Arrested (4/24/18) in Sacramento County overnight on two murder charges; warrant was issued by Ventura County. 4/17/18 hearing did not enter plea. Also faces 8 counts of murder (Sacramento County). Relative's DNA from genealogy website (GEDMarch) cracked East Area Rapist case, DA's office says.
His mayhem touched 10 counties, and he was variously called the East Area Rapist, Original Nightstalker, Diamond Knot Killer and Visalia Ransacker before authorities discovered that the various strings of crimes appeared to be the work of a single man. In 2001, DNA evidence linked the East Area Rapist and Original Nightstalker cases.
Next court hearing May 14th @ 8:30am

in the article post #62
In March 1980, a couple was fatally bludgeoned with a piece of firewood in their Ventura County home.

I'm going to guess that this is the 2 murders re warrant issued by Ventura County.

more to read here....

I thought it could be relevant after reading about the young girl who's hymen was undamaged.

A great chance to clear up yet another urban legend or myth. Doctors trained to identify signs of sexual abuse/rape in young girls/adolescents will tell you definitively that each person's hymen is different and some females don't ever have one that is detectable. Where there is a visible hymen, in some individuals it can remain undamaged even after penetration. Bottom Line - the condition of a person's hymen or lack thereof means nothing with regard to whether sexual intercourse or penetration has occurred.

The superior that fired him says he feels embarrassed but acknowledges that a can of dog repellant is something cops would use because dogs would chase them.
http://fox40.com/2018/04/29/former-police-chief-who-fired-joseph-deangelo-says-hes-embarrassed/
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
I really don't think those things would say "he's the rapist" to anyone. I'm not understanding this need to go "that was a red flag!" it's only a red flag because of what we know now.

I agree. Hindsight 20/20. The only thing that would be a red flag is the combo of items shoplifted, his reaction, had to be restrained, threatened to kill his boss when fired and a police sketch that looked like him. But technology is better now.

Yup......a good attorney will go after the methods of GED match site, etc.....they will go after the detectives & how they got the DNA.

Will the suspect plead guilty thinking he doesn't want to put his daughters thru a long trial, & lets see if they found the souvenirs he took from his victims......the defense will want to see all the evidence they have or will he plead not guilty like he did when he stole the hammer & a can of dog repellent?

I think he will plead not guilty. This guy had gotten away with it for 40 years, I don't see him rolling over easy. Unless he's had a complete nervous breakdown, I think it goes to trial, & that will take forever to get here, & will probably be a long stretched out trial.......I'm thinking 4 to 6 years from now, unless the prosecutor has a slam dunk case with all the evidence & stolen items.

But like mentioned, the attorney will fight how the familial DNA on the suspect was obtained & tracked to him. This could get messy......

They can try to fight the DNA, but that's how they got the grim sleeper. And also, Google how they got familial DNA to arrest BTK. if they were able to convict BTK without throwing out those means of matching the two then this one has no legs to stand on. They can try but I think from a judges stand point, do you really want to be the one that lets the worst serial killer in CA history go on a method that's been successfully used before? No.

Does this mean no DNA from semen was found at the Visalia Ransaker cases because no semen was found? Or was DNA found/isolated at a later stage, once DNA was into main stream police practices? Weird that evidence of the lotion was found but no semen.
I believe there was only one attempted rape abduction in the Visalia crimes... that one attempt failed and ended up with the death of the girls father. Visalia for the most part was just burglaries

DNA evidence was not used/collected in the mid 70's it's first use in court was the mid 80's

Oops I should have kept reading before I posted on my notes. Correction in red:

May 14th
*Prelim Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) - CA - East Area Rapist/Visalia Ransacker/Golden State Killer - Joseph James DeAngelo (72) - Arrested (4/24/18) in Sacramento County overnight on two murder charge ; warrant was issued by Ventura County. 4/17/18 hearing charged with 4 counts of murder (1980 deaths of Charlene and Lyman Smith in Ventura & 1978 murders of Brian Maggiore and his wife, Katie in Sacramento); did not enter plea. It's also believed the serial killer also slew Alexandria Manning, Dr. Robert Offerman, Patrice Harrington, Keith Harrington, Manuela Witthuhn, Cheri Domingo, Gregory Sanchez, Janelle Cruz, and possibly Claude Snelling.
Relative's DNA from genealogy website (GEDMarch) cracked East Area Rapist case, DA's office says.
His mayhem touched 10 counties, and he was variously called the East Area Rapist, Original Nightstalker, Diamond Knot Killer and Visalia Ransacker before authorities discovered that the various strings of crimes appeared to be the work of a single man. In 2001, DNA evidence linked the East Area Rapist and Original Nightstalker cases. Responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries between 1974 and 1986, when his crimes appeared to mysteriously end.

They can try to fight the DNA, but that's how they got the grim sleeper. And also, Google how they got familial DNA to arrest BTK. if they were able to convict BTK without throwing out those means of matching the two then this one has no legs to stand on. They can try but I think from a judges stand point, do you really want to be the one that lets the worst serial killer in CA history go on a method that's been successfully used before? No.
Let's say the whole dna thing got GGK off the hook, unlikely, but if it did happen, guessing that he would at that point almost beg to be kept in jail.
Can you imagine what vigilantes would do to him if he was set free?!
speculation, imo.

Odd that there are witness statements for both under or over endowed. Makes me think he may have digitally raped some of his victims. And maybe used a dildo in others.

Similarly he never took a day sick due to one work colleague yet took whole days because of vertigo due to another work colleague - which witness is correct or more credible I guess?

I agree. Hindsight 20/20. The only thing that would be a red flag is the combo of items shoplifted, his reaction, had to be restrained, threatened to kill his boss when fired and a police sketch that looked like him. But technology is better now.

I’m not sure which EAR sketch was being circulated at the time of the shoplifting incident, but the one that looks most like JJD, to me, is the one from the Visalia Ransacker case. The VR case had not been linked to EAR at the time. And chances are pretty good that the Auburn police didn’t even know about the VR cases, since they were not local.

MOO

I have read that no DNA was recovered from the VR cases but they do have fingerprints. That struck me because I would have thought area LEO were fingerprinted upon employment but maybe those records were not retained upon termination.

I have read that no DNA was recovered from the VR cases but they do have fingerprints. That struck me because I would have thought area LEO were fingerprinted upon employment but maybe those records were not retained upon termination.
That would be good because if there is a match and a digit missing on one hand they could clear all those cases (although not prosecute them). He would have been fingerprinted for the shoplifting even if his prints were not retained as an ex LEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper