CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/marcos-breton/article85174522.html

During the initial investigation, the crimes caused local cops to become suspects themselves. The rapist had to be a cop, some felt, because he seemed to know exactly what the cops were doing.

He was strong, methodical, athletic and elusive. He exhibited military precision in the way he tied victims up quickly and efficiently.

A 1993 Sacramento Bee story detailed how even the lead investigators in the case had to provide saliva samples because the public had begun to believe that a rogue cop was committing these crimes while being protected by his fellow officers.

“Any of us would have turned in our own son, we wanted this guy so bad,” said Richard Shelby in the 1993 Bee article that marked his retirement from the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department.

“We had set up traps on the phones of victims, and he called the one who didn’t have a trap on her phone,” said Carol Daly, who retired as Sacramento County undersheriff in 2001, and was one of the original investigators on the case.

So how did he know that stuff? He wasn’t actually working the case, right?

A great chance to clear up yet another urban legend or myth. Doctors trained to identify signs of sexual abuse/rape in young girls/adolescents will tell you definitively that each person's hymen is different and some females don't ever have one that is detectable. Where there is a visible hymen, in some individuals it can remain undamaged even after penetration. Bottom Line - the condition of a person's hymen or lack thereof means nothing with regard to whether sexual intercourse or penetration has occurred.

Thank you, elainebenice! (I love your username, btw!!)

My parents were both Phone Company back then and it's going to bug me for the rest of the night, but there used to be a way to tell if a phone was tapped. I remember thinking it was cool to know if someone's phone was tapped, even though I never knew anyone who's would have been. Something like one light click 4 seconds later or a double click or something--noticeable if you were looking for it, but generally ignored by everyone else.

But you had to actually dial the number to know that. Maybe from a pay phone somewhere?

Am I reading this correctly? He suffers from vertigo and has a boat? I'll retract my initial suggestion of Mèniére's Disease because we don't do boats well. Not in our 60s at least

I believe there was only one attempted rape abduction in the Visalia crimes... that one attempt failed and ended up with the death of the girls father. Visalia for the most part was just burglaries

DNA evidence was not used/collected in the mid 70's it's first use in court was the mid 80's

But evidence was saved and protected, and blood typing’s been used in forensics since the early 1900s.

So evidence was collected and preserved, and studied with the technology and science available at that time, and some police departments preserved evidence knowing there might be better techniques developed in the nearish future.

To say everything got thrown out because they lacked technology that’s commonplace today is a bit of a misnomer, imho.

Police kept and preserved evidence in sexual assault crimes that couldn’t be prosecuted because the statute of limitations expired. They didn’t throw out the evidence.

They kept it. Even after earlier DNA technology provided inconclusive matches. God bless them, they kept it!! In fact it eventually tied together the EAR/ONS crimes.

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article209794989.html

2001 story:

“And now a criminalist in Contra Costa County, using long-shelved DNA evidence, has connected him to a series of Southern California murders — the killings of four couples and two women in Orange, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties from 1979 to 1986.

“Armed with a DNA profile, authorities in Southern California met recently with Sacramento and Contra Costa county law enforcement to renew their effort to find the rapist-turned-killer. Even if they come up with a suspect, he will never go on trial for the Northern California rapes because the time limit for arresting him has long since expired.”

(snip)

“"It had always been set aside in a special place in our lab,” said Paul Holes, supervising criminalist at the Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Crime Laboratory. Holes contacted Southern California authorities to follow up on earlier theories that the rapist had moved south. The string of murders and sexual assaults there seemed similar to the Northern California attacks.”

God bless Contra Costa County and Criminalist Paul Holes. ❤️

A recent mini-episode of My Favorite Murder discusses a claim by a podcast listener who worked for the phone company that DeAngelo disconnected his landline service in mid-2017 “because his phone was being tapped.”

Unverified, but interesting.

MFM episode 68
https://player.fm/series/my-favorit...and-georgia-hardstark-2084036/mfm-minisode-68

Here’s a previous episode discussing I’ll Be Gone In The Dark with Patton Oswalt, the book’s lead researcher Paul Haynes and contributing investigative journalist Billy Jensen.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/independent-content-provider/my-favorite-murder/e/53981118

I think his Navy picture at the bottom looks spot on for the sketches. I also feel like everyones face changes that much over a lifetime. I mean the middle picture was his 8th grade picture. The Navy pic was probably about 5 years later (after puberty hit) and of course his cop photo is at a weird angle. But the photos are basically a snapshot of very different stages of his life. Even his photo from his Exeter cop days is very different from his photo as an Auburn cop. But I think that was likely intentional on his part by that time.

Attorneys for the Los Angeles Times and several other news outlets are suing for court records related to the arrest of the man suspected of being the Golden State Killer and the search of his Citrus Heights home.

The news outlets have requested that a judge unseal any executed warrants and supporting affidavits, along with lists of property seized during the investigation. The motion was filed in Sacramento County Superior Court.

[...]

Attorneys argued that the unique investigative approach has privacy implications for people who submit their DNA to commercial genealogical websites to trace their family history.

"The importance of public access to the warrant information sought here cannot be overstated," attorneys said in the filing. "The public will benefit from a full understanding of this unique investigatory technique and how police were able to reliably and credibly link DeAngelo to the crimes using open source DNA."

According to the filing, a court spokesperson told a reporter with the Associated Press that he would need to file a motion to unseal the records to access them.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...cords-suit-20180501-story.html?outputType=amp

That would be good because if there is a match and a digit missing on one hand they could clear all those cases (although not prosecute them). He would have been fingerprinted for the shoplifting even if his prints were not retained as an ex LEO.

I thought it was his brother that was missing the finger, not JJD himself.

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/pu...olden_state_killer_suspect_to_goleta_slayings

“The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help in establishing a timeline for the ongoing investigation involving the murders,” said Kelly Hoover, a sheriff’s spokeswoman.

The suspect was believed to be in Santa Barbara County between 1978 and 1986, Hoover said.

“If you believe you saw him anywhere in Santa Barbara County, or personally know him, please contact the Sheriff’s Criminal Investigations Bureau at 805.681.4150, or go to the sheriff’s website at http://www.sbsheriff.org/anonymoustips.html

Am I reading this correctly? He suffers from vertigo and has a boat? I'll retract my initial suggestion of Mèniére's Disease because we don't do boats well. Not in our 60s at least

It's speculation that he suffers from vertigo.
It hasn't been reported in any MSM source as fact.

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/pu...olden_state_killer_suspect_to_goleta_slayings

“The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help in establishing a timeline for the ongoing investigation involving the murders,” said Kelly Hoover, a sheriff’s spokeswoman.

The suspect was believed to be in Santa Barbara County between 1978 and 1986, Hoover said.

“If you believe you saw him anywhere in Santa Barbara County, or personally know him, please contact the Sheriff’s Criminal Investigations Bureau at 805.681.4150, or go to the sheriff’s website at http://www.sbsheriff.org/anonymoustips.html

quoting myself..Have we been able to place him anywhere from 1978-1986 for job or living arrangements?

Michelle McNamara's 'I'll Be Gone in the Dark' greenlit as HBO docu-serieshttp://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-michelle-mcnamara-golden-state-killer-hbo-20180501-story.html

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

quoting myself..Have we been able to place him anywhere from 1978-1986 for job or living arrangements?

Not from what I've seen, at least as of yet. The Auburn Journal (CA) online addition (paid subscription) dated Sept. 26, 1979, states that Joseph DeAngelo was fired from the Auburn Police Department last month.

I would think his wife might have some information about where he was working (if he was working) after he was fired from the police department and she might also have an idea of where he was living during that time-frame as well. But then again, maybe he just disappeared and she has no clue. At this point, nothing about him would surprise me.

Through the Sacramento Co. Assessor's website, I did find there was an ownership transfer on the Canyon Oaks Drive house in Citrus Heights, CA on December 2, 1993, but the site doesn't provide any other information on that.

It's speculation that he suffers from vertigo.
It hasn't been reported in any MSM source as fact.
Just because he used it as an excuse to be absent from work, doesn't mean he actually suffered from it. It is a lot less likely for his supervisor to disprove than the flu or a sore throat, much easier to fake.

The fact that GSK called the victim who did not have a trap on her phone makes me wonder if he knew which phone did not have the phone trap because of his position in LE?

You know I thought the same thing, maybe since he's a cop, he can get that info, but if another police station in another county is doing the investigation, how would he get that info? I've been scratching me head on this.......I'm assuming he committed some crimes in his area, but don't think he did much in his immediate area where they patrolled. Who knows with this guy, he was so prolific as a peeper/voyeur/stalker, nobody knew exactly what he knew.

Makes me wonder if he wasn't ahead of his time as a proficient criminal........also, let's not forget the gas station he supposedly visited to read nude magazines, & the cops were staking it out, he calls up & asks for the cop that's staking out the station, & laughs in the phone at the cop & hangs up.....like how in the world did he know that unless he had inside info?

Not from what I've seen, at least as of yet. The Auburn Journal (CA) online addition (paid subscription) dated Sept. 26, 1979, states that Joseph DeAngelo was fired from the Auburn Police Department last month.

I would think his wife might have some information about where he was working (if he was working) after he was fired from the police department and she might also have an idea of where he was living during that time-frame as well. But then again, maybe he just disappeared and she has no clue. At this point, nothing about him would surprise me.

Through the Sacramento Co. Assessor's website, I did find there was an ownership transfer on the Canyon Oaks Drive house in Citrus Heights, CA on December 2, 1993, but the site doesn't provide any other information on that.
I think it was transferred to a trust. Must have been part of their separation.

Your guess is as good as mine on this part.......very confusing. I'm sure he didn't have a partner in his crimes, so unless he's the luckiest guy in the world, which I think he was the way he evaded police, I don't know how else he got the info.

We know different counties & police forces didn't communicate much back then with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme