CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t agree. If he had them under control in the home then he had the ability to control the blood snd the forensics by using plastic bags on their heads or laying them in a tub or laying firm tarps

Taking them out of the home alive makes it much harder to control everything snd adds all kinds of variables like witnesses and surveillance cams. Etc
Being backed in also indicates he carted them away in his truck and not alive.

Her lab was probably a lot cleaner and more sterile than where most samples are taken from lol Swabs are taken from stationary items all the time AT the crime scene or in a vehicle, also not a sterile environment. I don't see the difference. In the case of the MVAC, the tools (filter, hose, etc) all need to be changed in between. JMO

Herein lies the problem... when dealing with LCN dna or touch dna, the safeguards are even more stringent than when dealing with “regular” dna. Many labs are outfitted with special equipment to deal with small amounts of dna. Things such as a hood vent and other such equipment and measures of caution, so there is less of a risk of contamination. I think it is a big deal her lab was not yet accredited when she ran those samples.

It matters IMO He said he was in the vehicle weeks previous, no DNA found there, so he must have been lying, right? Now it's said it's possibly there and there is 'nothing to see here'.
But it doesn’t matter one way or the other whether he rode in the car to paint balling one day

If he did and he wasn’t lying, fine. But that doesn’t mean he didn’t drive the Trooper to the border

Did McGee forget to ask Sanchez about Susan telling her around Feb. 15-16, 2010 that she didn't believe the family was coming back?

For comparison to what SB testified: 49:00-53:00 of the Day 31 Part 1:

So you think he just asked them to wait there while he got a tarp and covered the bathroom before he killed all 4? or even 3?

I would disagree. JMO
Obviously he didn’t just ask them to wait. But there are many ways to get hostages to comply

A knife to a child’s throat might do it. Or he knocks out mom and then locks the boys down somewhere until he is ready. It takes about 45 seconds to throw down a tarp

Given that it could contain all of the blood evidence it would be well worth the effort

And it would be easily burned in one of his workshops

Apparently it did matter for the PT for some time, or else why did they mention numerous times CM's DNA wasn't found on the passenger side door? Now that it has been found on the passenger side door, it doesn't matter any more?
Did they? I don't recall that. In fact I thought it always had been there until recently some were saying it wasn't. For it to be there doesn't change anything for me because it's still on the steering wheel, radio and air controls and gear shift.

Did McGee forget to ask Sanchez about Susan telling her around Feb. 15-16, 2010 that she didn't believe the family was coming back?

For comparison to what SB testified: 49:00-53:00 of the Day 31 Part 1:

McGee tried ... it was objected to and sustained, later they went to sidebar and it was still sustained.

Is Mr.McGee's intent to indict Ryan Smith? Is he inferring that RS fudged his reporting? IMO, this won't sit well with the jury.

I didn't get that feeling at all. I think he asked her if "this was one of the officers that was interviewing you", I assumed it was Smith that he was pointing out? But I think her testimony is more about Steers using the "missing futon cover" in his probable cause affidavit, when he should have known it wasn't missing after KS told him so. JMO I expect to Steers to be recalled and asked about it. I haven't checked Part 2 yet.

ETA: just started part 2 and hear they have recalled Smith LOL I'm assuming this is what you are talking about?

Last edited:
I didn't get that feeling at all. I think he asked her if "this was one of the officers that was interviewing you", I assumed it was Smith that he was pointing out? But I think her testimony is more about Steers using the "missing futon cover" in his probable cause affidavit, when he should have known it wasn't missing after KS told him so. JMO I expect to Steers to be recalled and asked about it. I haven't checked Part 2 yet.

ETA: just started part 2 and hear they have recalled Smith LOL I'm assuming this is what you are talking about?
Yes! Haven't heard her testimony yet Didn't know it was up. Heading there now.

Common sense tells me that isn't necessarily true. Dennis Rader took out the Otero family all by himself. What makes CM so unable?
Yes, it's really not unheard of for one person to annihilate an entire family. The killer starts by eliminating the biggest threat and works his way down to the most vulnerable. Imo

Yes, it's really not unheard of for one person to annihilate an entire family. The killer starts by eliminating the biggest threat and works his way down to the most vulnerable. Imo
Or the killer uses the most vulnerable as leverage with the not so vulnerable. and in this case it's my opinion that's what Merritt did. I think he started with the children forcing Summer & Joseph to do what he wanted.

Also what exact were his parole violations?
First time was 1988 and it doesn't say what the violation was for.
Then, from this article:
McStay murder mystery: Who is Chase Merritt?

"Merritt's most recent felony conviction was in 2001, court records showed, when he admitted to stealing $32,000 worth of welding and drilling equipment from San Gabriel Valley Ornamental Iron Works in Monrovia, Calif.

He pleaded guilty to burglary and grand theft charges and was sentenced to 180 days in jail.

Merritt violated probation several times in subsequent years and failed to appear in court on numerous occasions, resulting in his probation period being extended and at least seven warrants being issued for his arrest between 2001 and 2010, the records showed.

His probation from the 2001 felony case ended on Sept. 14, 2010."

As for when Chase officially became a "person of interest" in the murders? Well, he admitted to being the last person to see Joey. I would think he was a person of interest from the minute he said that.
Also, with disappearances and murders, it is the immediate family/circle of friends/business associates/enemies that are looked at first. Pretty sure that is textbook, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay