CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have considered Joey being 'tied' up to get the password as well. My only issue with that is that we have no indication that Joey actually changed the pswd, and because we know that CM already had the password, he would have no need to 'get' it. I believe that Quickbooks would have had a log of the password change considering they kept logs of when it was accessed, what was done, etc.

If CM was able to access the account on the 2nd, Joey became aware of it the morning of or before the meeting with Chase on the 4th... why wouldn't Joey change his password immediately? That is just not logical to me at all. We know he had access to it on his phone, he had access to it at home... change the password before it happens again! JMO

As I said the other day, Joey only logged in for a few mins after talking to the bank, while on the road.

My guess is that he only logged in to see if a chq had been created for the cashed amount.

Of course he could find no such cheque in the usual QB account. He would have had to go to the other QB account, and try to access the deleted cheques.

I suspect he did not figure this out at the time. Maybe his idea was to get to the bottom of it from his desktop at home.

This actually reveals the whole problem with CMs scam

The QB would no longer reconcile with the bank statements

So the fraud was going to be discovered reasonably quickly - e,g with help from QB support

But anyway - I would not assume he would find the deleted cheques quickly.

So in that case, he would not realise CM had accessed QB

- 11 - PROSECUTOR'S OPENING SPEECH

9.32 PM MERRITT AT MIRA LOMA THEN PHONE OFF GRID UNTIL 7.30 AM

At 9.32 pm he calls Catherine Jarvis and his cell phone connects with a cell tower in Mira Loma which is south of Rancho Cucamonga north of Corona. After that 9.32 pm contact his phone is off the grid until 7.30 the next morning, February 5th.

7.56 PM CHEQUE RAISED

During that 5.48 to 9.32 pm is when the Mitchley video was taken, 7.47 pm.

A look into Joseph’s QuickBooks records showed – you’re going to hear more evidence about that video in particular – during that time period at 7.56 pm someone signed in from the McStay’s home computer, the one there at Joseph’s desk, signed in, added a cheque to charles merritt all lower case, deleted the cheque and signed out. The memo was for paul mitchell all lower case, and the cheque was for $4,000.

At 8.28 pm Joseph’s cell phone record shows a call to the defendant, again during that time period when the defendant’s cell phone is off. The defendant’s cell phone does not register a call during that time period. Could be explained by quickly trying to call someone and hanging up before the connection is made from the closest tower to you to the closest tower to them, before that connection is made you’re calling then hanging up.

FEBRUARY 5TH – BACKDATED CHEQUES

On February 5th four cheques are created, not from the McStay’s home computer, computers – any of them, cheque 4094, 95, 96 and 97 are all created, two of them are to Metro Sheet Metal - their company in Azusa - for relatively small amounts, two of them are to charles merritt all lower case, now what’s interesting about these four cheques on 5th they were backdated to 4th – the last day the family was known to be alive. The sequence of cheques is before the cheques that were found in Joseph’s office out in the open on a chair. That cheque was printed [refers to court screen] 4093 it’s kind of hard to read I apologise the number was deleted it was edited it was to be printed it was printed 4095 it was backdated to February 4th 2010, one cheque 4097 was $6,506 and one cheque 4098 [??] for $2,350 that cheque was deposited. The $6,500 one that was written on that date was not deposited or cashed. They were all created backdated and deleted.

On that date February 5th – this is the day after the last known contact with the family, it’s a Friday – from 3.54 pm to 9.17 pm the defendant’s cell phone again is not connecting to any towers. There’s no activity on his cell phone and then after that 9.18 pm I believe there’s no more contact […court video skips] as well. So that’s Friday the 5th.

Having read all this I think it’s obvious that he’s the killer. Circumstantial yes, but obvious. They just need to prove it!

I guess I should be more clear... it's my opinion that they would log the password changes because of the knowledge that we do know they log other activity such as login in times, creating/deleting checks, backdating, etc. I would be shocked to find out that it wouldn't log in a password change as well.

JMO

I do agree though, trying to figure out how it all happened is hard ... ;-)
Okay, I thought you were certain. This needs to be determined because it would fit well with the prosecutions theory of CM gaining access to JM's home computer, considering that JM had discovered CM's fraud and probably changed the account password and would explain JM being bound and possibly torture as if someone was forcing him to reveal information.

So he could watch while his wife is raped and killed, and his children murdered.
Yes. Exactly, that evil.

Attempting to reconstruct the interplay of events that took place that day is a major challenge and the reason for my wild speculation. I wasn’t aware until you informed me that the online QB’s account logs all password changes, that knowledge pretty much shoots down my theory. However, there must be an explanation as to why JM was bound, which suggests to me there must have been a reason to keep him alive but the big question is why.

I agree, it did seem like Patrick was closer to Joey. From what I've read over the years, this caused jealousy in Mike at a very young age, the fact that his bio father loved his half brother just as much as he loved him. I would imagine growing up and not being able to have his own biological children just added to the jealousy. I realize some people may get offended by me saying that, but I don't care. Yes I know Chase is the one on trial, but I also know Mike has had jealousy + anger issues towards Joey since childhood. However, he has always played it off like he and Joey were as close as two brothers could possibly be.
Can you please cite your source and/or provide a link? If you're not able to your comment has the appearance of being gossipy.

Are you suggesting that JM was subdued at one location and then moved to another?
Maybe gagged and tied up, had his leg smashed in, phone and car keys taken away, locked in a unit somewhere or in his own vehicle's trunk - then he goes back for him after he's killed Summer and the children.

speculation only

Maybe gagged and tied up, had his leg smashed in, phone and car keys taken away, locked in a unit somewhere or in his own vehicle's trunk - then he goes back for him after he's killed Summer and the children.

speculation only
That would certainly fit the theory that the events leading to the murders began at the Rancho Cucamonga warehouse.

Okay, I thought you were certain. This needs to be determined because it would fit well with the prosecutions theory of CM gaining access to JM's home computer, considering that JM had discovered CM's fraud and probably changed the account password and would explain JM being bound and possibly torture as if someone was forcing him to reveal information.

So I was doing some searching online and I came across this video from Quickbooks... it's a quick video and shows exactly how they found the checks that CM created/deleted. They don't show whether a password change would be on there, but it does show a "settings" on the one list of events that are logged. I will continue looking but thought I would share this, helps understand how they saw the checks were created/deleted and when :)

So he could watch while his wife is raped and killed, and his children murdered.
Yes. Exactly, that evil.

It depends on if Summer was raped at the grave site and not the home as if it was the grave site Joey was probably dead by that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro