CA CA - Lydia "Dia" Abrams, 65, Idyllwild, 6 Jun 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The permit was issued. Concerns about environmental and traffic impact, etc, had already been sufficiently addressed so that the permit could be issued.
Corporations, environmentalists, and crime syndicates would not go after Dia who had no actual involvement in the project.

Wouldn't it free up the $$$$? I got the impression that the probate/ estate isn't settled yet because she is disputing it. I thought permits werent issued yet because of delinquent taxes? Even if permits are issued, there still may be people/ against it. I've heard of environmentalists etc protesting even during construction. My opinion only.

There is ~$800,000 in defaulted property taxes on the 3 parcels that appear to make up the project using '8015 La Jolla Scenic' and '92037':
County of San Diego Treasurer - Tax Collector

There you go CuriousMe, the above is a possible link between property taxes and Dia's disappearance (FINALLY, she says...).

SPECULATION: If the family can't afford to pay the taxes right now and the project is delayed, project stakeholders might get angry over potential income loss.

CANDLELIGHT PROPERTIES LLC, OWNERSHIP MEMBERS (3):
Clem Abrams
Crisara Abrams
Clinton Abrams

https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/pc-18-036_candlelight.pdf

The Candlelight Project seems to have been Clem's final big dream investment and he left the children to carry this project out to fruition and add a huge amount of wealth to their Family Trust. Dia was not an owner.

MOO, money and the court battles and the contention between those involved would be of interest as a possible main motive to LE. The timing of Dia going missing seems somehow connected to Dia transferring that small property parcel and that odd sale after she went missing seems telling, but her reason has yet to be explained. Obviously, she was going to remarry and as far as the children were concerned some new guy was going to be in the pic. Dia was going to keep wanting her fair share, and the threat of her being awarded that additional $6.7 million put into her Martial Trust might have been a threat in some way.

@SoHelpMeGod, you've done such an impressive job of researching all the properties, and shedding light on the huge Candlelight Project. I don't doubt you're on to something, but I have a hard time putting it all together.

I would think the money was already allocated for the Candlelight Project and the taxes were being accrued. You understand this better than I, so I have questions regarding the Candlelight Project, and the taxes you say were owed. It says the default date on Parcel 645-060-35-00 was 6/30/2016. Were the taxes owed all this time? The Candlelight Project is worth a vast fortune. They've been paying out money towards this project for years and have a civil engineering firm involved, etc., I can't see that the Family Trust couldn't pay $800,000 on time. As I said, those taxes should be sitting in an accrual account. How would Dia being missing help pay those taxes? However, it would ease minds if she was gone and wasn't going to try to obtain that additional $6.7 million put into her Martial Trust. Is that what you meant?

Someone other than the fiancé initially mentioned that Dia had been in fear of someone for the last four years. I'm keeping that in mind.

Could her disappearance be voluntary? Or the person/ persons responsible is closer to her?

Anything is possible.

Yes, like you, I often consider other angles. She could be in hiding and voluntarily missing for her own reasons. I followed a case like that once. (People were mad at the missing-on-purpose person after having been very worried and so much money spent on searches.)

She could have been abducted by a stranger and held captive. Or some serial killer could really be preying on people up in the area of Idyllwild. She could have gotten hurt or lost and hasn't been found. A hitman could have been hired to do her in. Someone on the 116 acre property could've harmed and disappeared her. Or someone wanted her out of the way and stood to gain. There's probably more I haven't thought of yet.

@SoHelpMeGod, you've done such an impressive job of researching all the properties, and shedding light on the huge Candlelight Project. I don't doubt you're on to something, but I have a hard time putting it all together.

I would think the money was already allocated for the Candlelight Project and the taxes were being accrued. You understand this better than I, so I have questions regarding the Candlelight Project, and the taxes you say were owed. It says the default date on Parcel 645-060-35-00 was 6/30/2016. Were the taxes owed all this time? The Candlelight Project is worth a vast fortune. They've been paying out money towards this project for years and have a civil engineering firm involved, etc., I can't see that the Family Trust couldn't pay $800,000 on time. As I said, those taxes should be sitting in an accrual account. How would Dia being missing help pay those taxes? However, it would ease minds if she was gone and wasn't going to try to obtain that additional $6.7 million put into her Martial Trust. Is that what you meant?
It looks to me like the defaulted taxes have been owed this whole time but I don't know why. Maybe there is some type of litigation related to those parcels for those years (speculation)? Is the family property rich but cash poor (speculation)? I really don't know.
1) Yes, I was guessing that it would ease minds if Dia was no longer able to obtain the $6.7 million for her Marital Trust.
2) I was also guessing that maybe if Dia was no longer around then someone might think her private properties would go to them for sale towards those taxes.
ALL JUST SPECULATION - her disappearance may NOT have anything to do with the taxes at all. It's just something I noticed and wanted to follow up on.

Anything is possible.
Yes, like you, I often consider other angles. She could be in hiding and voluntarily missing for her own reasons. I followed a case like that once. (People were mad at the missing-on-purpose person after having been very worried and so much money spent on searches.)
She could have been abducted by a stranger and held captive. Or some serial killer could really be preying on people up in the area of Idyllwild. She could have gotten hurt or lost and hasn't been found. A hitman could have been hired to do her in. Someone on the 116 acre property could've harmed and disappeared her. Or someone wanted her out of the way and stood to gain. There's probably more I haven't thought of yet.
Yes, it's good to consider other angles. It's just hard to sleuth other angles without more information. I apologize if I've potentially focused us too much on the financial angle, but I was able to try to sleuth it by public information so I did.

I do think it's possible that she has gone missing on purpose if she feared for her life. I also think she could have gone for a hike, gotten hurt, and not been found. And I think there could be someone who might have wanted to hurt her for an as yet unknown reason.

I wish we knew more about who works on Dia's properties. So far I only know about Diana (Air BnB) and Dia's fiance. But there must be others. Dia is 66 and her fiance 71. It's a lot of work to take care of ranch properties. Behind the scenes I've heard there are some women who help with apple picking. But for those of you who own horses and other animals, isn't there a lot more work that needs to be done?

What about possible regular delivery of feed and other supplies to the properties? Would a delivery person(s) have regular access to Dia's properties?

What about plumbing, electrical, and other types of work that might have needed to be done on Dia's properties? Could a trades professional(s) have easy access to Dia's properties?

We don't know anything about Dia's property at 28893 Bonita Vista Rd. That property appears to be a mobile home on 5 acres. This is not currently listed on the Air BnB site. Has Dia been quietly renting that home (ie not listed on an internet rental site) to anyone? Could someone who works for her stay there (full-time, on occasion)?

Per early news reports the family (? who exactly) said Dia went missing at around 2:00 and was heading toward the Garner Valley area. Dia has a property on Tool Box Spring Rd in the Garner Valley area. How would the family know Dia was heading to that area? Were they referring to Dia's property, or to Garner Valley in general? Did the family maybe expect that Dia would be found at that location (speculation)?

Jash asked a great question about whether Dia's gun might be missing. Unfortunately we don't have an answer. Her fiance indicated that if she had gone for a hike she would have taken her gun. But IF it's missing then maybe Dia, or someone else, took it for another reason??

Her fiance indicated that if she had gone for a hike she would have taken her gun. But IF it's missing then maybe Dia, or someone else, took it for another reason??

The fiancé offered that info within the interview. He was implying the gun wasn't missing, IMO.

He wasn't trying to cover up the fact there's guns on the property or he wouldn't have mentioned it. He probably said the same thing to LE. There's no body found with bullet holes to match to a gun either. LE, if they searched inside, would look to see if there was a struggle. I don't know without a warrant if they do less of a search, but I would think they'd look for weapons.

Dia is gone and if going for a walk didn't have time to grab her gun or take along her dog before leaving. (unless someone put the dog back in the house after a quick nabbing or harming of Dia.)

Please know this is all just my own thoughts and opinions.

There were two issues addressed in Dia's Court filing, as I understand it.

(1) She requested the Invalidation of the Prenup. Ultimately Dia requested that the Court void the terms of the Prenup that eliminated the accrual of community property during the marriage of Clem and Dia. In essence it cut her out of owning half of the community property. The list of properties was extensive and that Prenup was signed 35 yrs. ago under duress.

(2) She was also requesting an additional five to six million dollars that she felt was owed from the Family Trust to the Martial Trust due to an unexpected change coming from the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) signed into law December 2017."
(Please correct me if I'm wrong. In my limited understanding and in simple terms, this meant there was less estate tax owed, and so Dia wanted that taken into consideration and the money $6.7 million put into her Martial Trust.)

BBM and All MOO.

Did I explain it half way correct?

I know all couples have their own ways of making a marriage work, but I can't imagine signing a pre-nup that didn't have some sort of expiration date ... like if we are together for 10,20,30 yrs or if we have children together ... it becomes null and void? It also seems like something she should have worked out with the husband while he was alive so as not to create family strife with the children.

I also find it bizarre that the fiance would leave town for 3 days immediately after she went missing.

It doesn't seem like he has anything to gain financially since they were not legally married. But it is always necessary to rule out the significant other when someone goes missing or has been harmed.

all just my observations and opnion...

I hope there are answers sooner rather than later for all those who care about Dia.

Here's a first-person account of the search for Dia by Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit on June 9th (along with some photos). www.rmru.org/2020/06/09/2020-030/

I thought this was interesting: We were met there by Sheriff’s deputies, search dog team and Swat teams due to the high incidence of marijuana growing nearby in some of the draws that had water.

They searched for two full days. RMRU does great work. They've popped up in a number of cases I've followed.

This case reminded me of a case I followed here on WS a couple years back, due to some similarities: Nancy Woodrum of Paso Robles, CA. She owned a large, beautiful ranch home and rented it out as a short-term rental, while she lived in the smaller home on the grounds—described as either a caretaker house, or a studio residence. Her husband had passed away as well, though about 5 years prior. About the same age as Dia. She had just sold the property.

Anyway, it took something like 7 months to solve her disappearance. She had been raped and murdered. Turns out the killer was a man who had done painting work for her on the house the week prior.

I imagine LE is looking at this possibility. Since these ranches are rented out there must be contractors or handymen (handypersons? lol) around relatively often for the maintenance of these beautiful but older properties.

Here's a first-person account of the search for Dia by Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit on June 9th (along with some photos). www.rmru.org/2020/06/09/2020-030/

I thought this was interesting: We were met there by Sheriff’s deputies, search dog team and Swat teams due to the high incidence of marijuana growing nearby in some of the draws that had water.

They searched for two full days. RMRU does great work. They've popped up in a number of cases I've followed.

2020-030

Wow, thank you! I'm impressed you found that this group searched for Dia. I take it they assisted in the search along with the Sheriff's Dept. They mentioned setting up their search grids the night before, and even that RMRU were able to redo some of the more difficult areas. I believe the Sheriff's Dept. started their search Monday. They called in RMRU to help and they were there Tuesday and Wednesday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. It does sound like a very thorough search was done. It sure is beautiful property. Were those dogs searching for a live Dia? Would they be able to track her by scent?

2020-030
"We were met there by Sheriff’s deputies, search dog team and Swat teams due to the ... "

There must be a high incidence all over the area. I noticed they were allowing Medical Users to take some illegally grown confiscated plants for personal growing on the Anza Crime Watch FB site. There's also some people who knew Dia and comments there.

Dia was noticed missing by Keith, her fiancé by 7:30 p.m. Saturday night. I understand it that he called friends and they came to search for her on Sunday. Then, the Sheriff was there on Monday.

Keith, her fiancé, was gone. He left in his RV on a business trip while Dia was still missing and the Sheriff was searching for her that Monday. I don't remember when he said he returned. Does anyone know? There must be a staff of people to take care of running things on the ranch.

I'm surprised they don't have more cameras at the gates and around the facilities.

Yes, it's good to consider other angles. It's just hard to sleuth other angles without more information. I apologize if I've potentially focused us too much on the financial angle, but I was able to try to sleuth it by public information so I did.

I do think it's possible that she has gone missing on purpose if she feared for her life. I also think she could have gone for a hike, gotten hurt, and not been found. And I think there could be someone who might have wanted to hurt her for an as yet unknown reason.

I wish we knew more about who works on Dia's properties. So far I only know about Diana (Air BnB) and Dia's fiance. But there must be others. Dia is 66 and her fiance 71. It's a lot of work to take care of ranch properties. Behind the scenes I've heard there are some women who help with apple picking. But for those of you who own horses and other animals, isn't there a lot more work that needs to be done?

What about possible regular delivery of feed and other supplies to the properties? Would a delivery person(s) have regular access to Dia's properties?

What about plumbing, electrical, and other types of work that might have needed to be done on Dia's properties? Could a trades professional(s) have easy access to Dia's properties?

We don't know anything about Dia's property at 28893 Bonita Vista Rd. That property appears to be a mobile home on 5 acres. This is not currently listed on the Air BnB site. Has Dia been quietly renting that home (ie not listed on an internet rental site) to anyone? Could someone who works for her stay there (full-time, on occasion)?

Per early news reports the family (? who exactly) said Dia went missing at around 2:00 and was heading toward the Garner Valley area. Dia has a property on Tool Box Spring Rd in the Garner Valley area. How would the family know Dia was heading to that area? Were they referring to Dia's property, or to Garner Valley in general? Did the family maybe expect that Dia would be found at that location (speculation)?

Jash asked a great question about whether Dia's gun might be missing. Unfortunately we don't have an answer. Her fiance indicated that if she had gone for a hike she would have taken her gun. But IF it's missing then maybe Dia, or someone else, took it for another reason??
I agree so many possibilities! My mind is often thinking too hard but... I wonder if she could have hidden in the RV and whisked over the border by the fiancé until things settled down? Quick cash and she could have replaced other things. Is it possible he or someone close could have had a hideaway home in a small Mexican town? See, I think way too much. Lol.

I'm wondering what business trip could be more important than your "Bride to be" missing?
Also...not sure on how many cameras they had.
There are plate readers at the border checkpoints.
Most definitely several avenues on subjects and motives involved here.
Then there's the sheriff dept. with a bulletin for a guy wanted for kidnapping, who did he kidnap?, hopefully not Dia.

I'm wondering what business trip could be more important than your "Bride to be" missing?
Also...not sure on how many cameras they had.
There are plate readers at the border checkpoints.
Most definitely several avenues on subjects and motives involved here.
Then there's the sheriff dept. with a bulletin for a guy wanted for kidnapping, who did he kidnap?, hopefully not Dia.

I was wondering if I had read that right. So he really did leave for a business trip while Dia was missing?

I agree so many possibilities! My mind is often thinking too hard but... I wonder if she could have hidden in the RV and whisked over the border by the fiancé until things settled down? Quick cash and she could have replaced other things. Is it possible he or someone close could have had a hideaway home in a small Mexican town? See, I think way too much. Lol.

I really think this is the answer. I think the trust was set up as a way to funnel money. I think this lady was over it all, and threw her hands up and said I'm done, or at least I hope that is what it is.
Knowing what I know about Trusts, I feel that the Trusts were set up in such a way to prevent the Federal Government from getting any taxation on the estate, hence the amounts, when the TCJA was signed it created a shift in Trusts, Life Insurance and every other vehicle used to avoid paying taxes. My job has unfortunately made me realize taxes are for the poor, the really wealthy don't pay them.

Please be sure to watch the news interviews and read the Court filings if you have the time and interest.

There was an ongoing court battle with her children over the trusts. It seems she wanted an additional six million dollars that they didn't want to give up. I don't think the grown children are doing any news interviews nor are they offering any reward money to find her. They might have been estranged. It's possible they felt financially threatened if they heard she planned to marry.

However, I don't know if Dia talked about her upcoming wedding to others. I don't think she posted anything on her social media or formally announced her engagement to the newspapers. I am waiting to hear what kind of important business trip he went on. Why he didn't cancel it.

Also, I don't know what those property transfers might mean, or the sale of a small parcel that went through after Dia was gone. There's so many things to be investigated and I hope LE is working hard to figure this out because somebody might think they're getting away with disappearing her. In my mind, there's several of interest, but actually it could have been a stranger or past worker on the ranch. It needs further and thorough investigating. If LE drops the ball, then I hope someone hires a PI.

MOO-- This is all my own speculations and my own opinions.

Wouldn't a trust take five years if a person is missing?

I don't want to answer your question without understanding it better. The trusts for Clem Abrams would have become effective at his death immediately, that's kind of the point of the one he had drawn up. Dia's trust was a living trust which become effective at signature. Or am I not understanding what you are asking?

These are quotes from the fiancé from these two articles:

Woman missing near Idyllwild was in court battle over multi-million dollar estate | cbs8.com

I just think it's a sad thing that you have to challenge your own children for the right to live,” Harper said.

Harper said he believes the ongoing court battle could be related to Abrams’ disappearance.

She was changing them [ownership of her ranch properties into a trust]because she felt there was a threat to her life,” he added, without elaborating.

I loved the woman. We were going to get married. There was everything positive about our relationship. We didn't have almost any difficulties whatsoever,” he said.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/former-la-jolla-woman-transferred-property-before-disappearing-near-idyllwild-dia-abrams-lydia-san-diego/509-33764daf-2007-4b95-81a1-0580d7c13f54

We’ve missed all those dates [fiancé’s birthday and their planned wedding date] and I may never have those dates with her again,” he said.

So, reading what the fiancé says makes me think HE believes her kids are responsible for her disappearance, AND that she’s not alive, or that in some way he and she will no longer be a couple.

So, reading what the fiancé says...
This is all MOO. He's pointing the finger at them, but makes you wonder if he was so sure she was in danger then why didn't he stick around to keep searching. It costs money to run these searches, so I hope it isn't some plot for her to escape danger with his help. I'm not quite sure who called the Sheriff Dept. He was gone when the Sheriff Dept. started the search on Monday. The way I understand it, she transferred the property from her name to her trust and changed it to owner occupied. He attempts to explain by giving himself an opportunity to remind us her life was in danger, but that transfer wouldn't protect her life from being taken, IMO. :oops: I'm jaded now, and examine what the key players in any case says and does. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper