CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The shooting
Lt. Rodney Moore of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office said deputies from the Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station were called to Malibu Creek State Park last Friday morning after receiving calls about at least one gunshot being heard inside the park.
When deputies arrived on the scene they found the two girls and Beaudette, with a gunshot wound, inside the tent.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Malibu Creek State Park Campground in the 1900 block of Las Virgenes Road was closed for the week while detectives conducted their investigation.
Anthony Hoffman, a state park superintendent, said the hiking trails remained open but the investigation required the campground to remain closed.

Other gunfire
In the wake of the shooting, several people reported via social media that in recent years they, too, have heard gunshots while camping in the park.
Two said they themselves were shot at and that the perpetrator was never caught.
Hoffman said it’s not uncommon to hear gunfire in the mountain areas.
“Rural areas get gunshots. Some people from the city know that they can’t shoot in the city, go, ‘Oh, this doesn’t look like city,’ and they stop on a wide turnout, and shoot or they hike down the trail and shoot,” Hoffman said.
“It’s usually what we call ‘plinkers.’ They’re not really hunting, they’re not trying to kill anything,” he said.
“It’s not uncommon for us to get reports of gunshots that usually end up being plinkers, and even most of the time we show up we don’t find them. Maybe we find a few broken bottles. It’s not uncommon.”
In a statement released June 25, sheriff’s deputies said they are aware of reports of other gunfire near Malibu Creek State Park but there’s no evidence connecting those incidents to the Beaudette shooting.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call the sheriff’s homicide bureau at (323) 890-5500.
Malibu Creek State Park attracts tens of thousands of visitors a year, many drawn to its 15 miles of hiking trails.
It’s best known as the location where the TV series “M.A.S.H.” was filmed."
Malibu Creek killing a mystery | Thousand Oaks Acorn
----------------------
I agree there should be warning signs of recent shootings (at least this year's) posted. But I think they are treating the random shootings as 'plinkers', whatever that means.

What the heck? One vehicle was sprayed with shot. That's not a "plinker". In another case a man was actually shot in the arm, which had been across his head. He needed medical care. A tesla was shot at. A woman was narrowly missed by a slug into her car as she camped. How the heck are they not taking those seriously? Those aren't silly people shooting in the hills.

That's ridiculous. They are seriously trying to downplay that while every park has multiple signs about securing your belongings from theft? Is that where we are in this country that shooting at people and cars with guns is not a big deal while theft of personal property is? What the heck?

And yeah, it certainly sounds from that statement that they aren't treating these things as related to TB's murder.

'Plinking' is when you go out and shoot at beer cans and bottles and the like. IME in California, this was always with pellet/air guns.

Plinking is usually repetitive pellet shots, not loud, certainly wouldn't wake you up from a distance. In other words, nothing like a shotgun firing a slug that can penetrate a vehicle. Or buck/birdshot that sprays a rough camper.

Plinking is not firing randomly at human targets or into vehicles.
Is plinking usually done in the middle of the night, or at least while still dark outside?

Maybe this is like the reports of disgruntled nature lovers who set up traps on trails? Maybe the shooter just got sick of warning shots not getting attention and the park staying open. Maybe even this was supposed to be another warning shot? I can’t imagine him being targeted specifically because of the preparation that would go into it. A hired assasin would have to know his every move. If he announced to the world well in advance (PTO request?) then a hired gun could camp out well in advance.

From an older article linked upstream /catching up:

"Anthony Hoffman, a state park superintendent, said the hiking trails remained open but the investigation required the campground to remain closed."
Malibu Creek killing a mystery | Thousand Oaks Acorn

BBM: "Hiking trails"....

*Have you guys looked at these/mapped these out yet? Trying to keep up here :) Tia.

Is plinking usually done in the middle of the night, or at least while still dark outside?

Well, no. The idea is to shoot at something you can see. I guess if you had a laser sight or night vision or a good lighting system but then this isn't plinking.

Seriously my friends, plinking is sitting outside and shooting at rubbish. If you go to the gun shop and ask for air pistol pellets, they'll ask if it's for plinking and if you say yes, they'll get you the cheap-*advertiser censored* pellets that no one would put in a quality/competition air gun.

There is a very, very cavalier attitude toward gunshots by LE in the LA. I used to live in the now-gentrified beach area. Back then it was very mixed. We had a neighbor who used to get drunk and go out in the street and shoot his assault rifle. On one occasion, when the gunfire seemed especially over-the-top, we called the police - LAPD, not LASD - to report it. LAPD asked 'Is he shooting at you?' To which we said 'No.'

We were told in no uncertain terms that this was not a problem and they weren't coming out.

This was typical of my experience in LA.

But there's public hazard from whatever weirdo is shooting at people and cars.

Seriously!! Just think how it is when you drive those roads every day!
Gitana, you'd be surprised how often this happens (cars shot at)! Like I posted, Forager made a whole spreadsheet about it CO shootings , and who knows how many there's been since he stopped updating it...and its only the ones we knoooow about....of course with the increase of road rage and prevalence of gangs, it's neverending... imo...

This is off topic but I want you guys to see this "window shattering map" of our hotzone here in NOCO. I recommend one be maybe started here, moo: image in progress, get ready for your jaw to drop. I really hope what's happening in Malibu is going to end right here!)

(Eta: here's an image from an early NOCO thread, that might not even have all of the local incidents but it gives you an idea of what some of these nut jobs can be capable of:

(Image credit to WS member @Forager from his map)

Attachments

• downloadfile.png
    downloadfile.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Well, no. The idea is to shoot at something you can see. I guess if you had a laser sight or night vision or a good lighting system but then this isn't plinking.

Seriously my friends, plinking is sitting outside and shooting at rubbish. If you go to the gun shop and ask for air pistol pellets, they'll ask if it's for plinking and if you say yes, they'll get you the cheap-*advertiser censored* pellets that no one would put in a quality/competition air gun.

There is a very, very cavalier attitude toward gunshots by LE in the LA. I used to live in the now-gentrified beach area. Back then it was very mixed. We had a neighbor who used to get drunk and go out in the street and shoot his assault rifle. On one occasion, when the gunfire seemed especially over-the-top, we called the police - LAPD, not LASD - to report it. LAPD asked 'Is he shooting at you?' To which we said 'No.'

We were told in no uncertain terms that this was not a problem and they weren't coming out.

This was typical of my experience in LA.
My point was that these shootings were all done between 2 and 6 am (might be a closer window, but I think that's close enough.) If plinking is normally done during daylight hours, why would they even suggest that was what was going on? We did a lot of shooting bottles, milk cans, etc. out on farms when I was a teen, but we never had a name for it. I shot a muzzle loader 1 time and was proud of myself for hitting the tree holding the target, even though I missed the target by about 5 feet :oops:. I don't remember anyone even suggesting doing it after dark, even if they were fine with drinking while doing it during the day, and we always made sure we were facing an open field when shooting.

For whatever reasons LE has, they obviously do not seem to suspect that this was an accidental death:
Death of Man in Malibu State Park Now Murder Investigation

This just stood out to me:

"Sheriff's homicide detectives said Monday they were aware of the reports, one of which involved a woman who posted video of a bullet hole in her vehicle along with photo of a shotgun slug that she said pierced the tailgate as she slept inside."

BBM: "as she slept inside".
So, IF this incident is related, and IF this is a "random shooter", his possible MO is he gets a kick out of shooting people while they are sleeping.

Hmmm....I wonder if there have been any incidents of people being shot through their bedroom windows...just a thought...or what about RVs...

Seriously!! Just think how it is when you drive those roads every day!
Gitana, you'd be surprised how often this happens (cars shot at)! Like I posted, Forager made a whole spreadsheet about it CO shootings , and who knows how many there's been since he stopped updating it...and its only the ones we knoooow about....of course with the increase of road rage and prevalence of gangs, it's neverending... imo...

This is off topic but I want you guys to see this "window shattering map" of our hotzone here in NOCO. I recommend one be maybe started here, moo: image in progress, get ready for your jaw to drop. I really hope what's happening in Malibu is going to end right here!)

(Eta: here's an image from an early NOCO thread, that might not even have all of the local incidents but it gives you an idea of what some of these nut jobs can be capable of:

(Image credit to WS member @Forager from his map)

Oh my gosh. That's insane.

My point was that these shootings were all done between 2 and 6 am (might be a closer window, but I think that's close enough.) If plinking is normally done during daylight hours, why would they even suggest that was what was going on? We did a lot of shooting bottles, milk cans, etc. out on farms when I was a teen, but we never had a name for it. I shot a muzzle loader 1 time and was proud of myself for hitting the tree holding the target, even though I missed the target by about 5 feet :oops:. I don't remember anyone even suggesting doing it after dark, even if they were fine with drinking while doing it during the day, and we always made sure we were facing an open field when shooting.

I will admit to shooting shotguns into the dark when I was a teen. But like on top of a hill, toward nothing. Never toward cars or homes or people!

Not sure if it's been mentioned, I'm sure LE will be checking in with some local shooting ranges, should they maybe suspect a random shooter...there are some ranges in the area but its not within TOS understandably to link to random businesses...just something to think about, maybe already discussed.

My niece just told me that she saw a bunch of police with metal detectors walking around Malibu Cyn yesterday.

I would assume they were looking for spent shell casings.

I was hoping for and anticipating this. Can we get an exact location on this?
Not only spent shell casings, but maybe also bullets that may have missed drivers.

Last edited:
Around 0:30, Detectives with metal detectors can be seen.
"James Rogers was sleeping nearby"...

So another victim ASLEEP (sorry it's taking a while obviously to process).
So that's 3 incidents so far shot at while asleep, and 2 involving shotguns, one birdhot one large slug.. Brainstorm stream of consciousness post in progress, gah going to probably timeout.

A) Tristan Beaudette (caliber unknown), shot in tent while sleeping, June 22, 2018.

B) James Rogers, Nov. 3, 2016, birdshots, was asleep in hammock.
-"I kinda assume they were aiming for my head to be honest"
-"James Rogers was hiking the Backbone Trail just south of Malibu Creek State Park two years ago when he was hit by bird shot from a shotgun as he slept in a hammock."
-"In one of those shootings, a young man sleeping in his hammock in nearby Tapia Park was shot with a shotgun and wounded."
-"A third incident happened on Nov. 3, 2016, when a man who was hiking the Backbone Trail was hit by a shotgun blast while sleeping overnight in a hammock in Tapia Park about 200 yards from Malibu Canyon Road."
-"I heard a loud bang and then felt a burning sensation in my arm and fell to the ground,” he said. “Before I could look at my wound I did a quick check of the perimeter and I saw nothing.”"
-"Rogers said he was not sleeping in a formal campground."
-"just south of Malibu Creek State Park"

C) Meliss Tatangelo, shotgun, car shot while she was sleeping inside, January 2017.
-"she later found part of an ammunition round in the back of her car where she had been sleeping"
-"Meliss Tatangelo says they were awakened by a "large thump" about 5 a.m., but went back to sleep.
We woke up around 6, left the campsite and went to get coffee. In the parking lot of the coffee shop we hear something rolling around in the back of my car," Tatangelo wrote on Facebook. "I went around the back to open the hatch to see what it was, as I got to the back of my car I saw a huge gapping hole. A bullet hole. Fired at pretty close range. There was a bullet rolling around in the back of my car."
-"She wrote that she believes a shotgun was fired about 20 feet away and if the line of fire had been an inch higher, she would have been struck as she slept."
"camping in her Honda"

D) Tesla driver shot while driving 4 days before Tristan was killed/in progress
June 18, 2018

E)June 6, 2017
F)July 22, 2017
G)July 30, 2017

Re: B/ BBM: "Backbone Trail", "Tapia Park", "about 200 yards from Malibu Canyon Rd", "saw nothing", "not sleeping in a formal campground"
Re: C/ BBM: "pretty close range", "about 20 feet away"

Reference links:
5 Shootings Near Malibu Park Within 2 Years, Are They Connected?
Malibu campground where father fatally shot is closed down as safety precaution
Even more shootings uncovered at Malibu park before father was killed while camping, Sheriff's Department says

Nov. 3, 2016 JR
Nov. 9, 2016
Jan. 7, 2017 MT
July 22, 2017
June 6, 2017
July 30, 2017
June 18, 2018 / Tesla
June 22, 2018 / TB

So asleep vs shooting moving drivers...not sure if these will be connected.

"Charles "Sid" Heal, a retired L.A. County sheriff's commander, said that while geography may be similar, there are some key differences in the shootings. For example, the killing of Beaudette inside a campground feels different from someone taking a potshot on a canyon road."
There were five shootings at and near a Malibu park over two years. Why didn't authorities alert the public until father was killed?
*ftr no vehicle shootings/window shatterings have been linked to any of the NOCO victims, this could be similar.

*note to go back to Gitana's list to crosscheck when I'm finished with this post, about to run out of time.

Last edited:
I was hoping for and anticipating this. Can we get an exact location on this?
Not only spent shell casings, but maybe also bullets that may have missed drivers.

SBM
On the attached map I highlighted Malibu Canyon in red and the road that eventually leads to my niece’s house in blue. I assume she saw them near Piuma Rd.
A5E28B6E-6F59-439E-88C3-B8F1E7014C40.jpeg

Hope LE captures all shooters soon. At least do a better job at warning public about recent shootings. Also hope while I enjoy watching the World Cup tomorrow (Go Mexico! Go Japan!), a breaking news would be announced - several arrests have been made in relation to Malibu shootings.

After seeing the news clip of the tent, the shooter was most likely in the woods when he was shooting. He was guessing that TB was laying with his feet towards the zipper end of the tent, therefore his head at the end facing the woods. The killer took aim, hoping to kill him and was successful. IMO. It was. An easy escape route into the woods.

After the second guy spoke up that he was shot in the arm, with birdseed, while laying in his hammock, it brings up several questions. How far was his hammock from TB?

Knowing nothing about guns, would birdseed kill a person? We haven’t been told what caliber killed TB. Would a gun shooting birdseed kill him? We know LE knows but this time what killed TB.

Are there two snipers out shooting during the night? Is there only one person who doesn’t seem to be too good of a shot? The lady and boyfriend were shot at close range but were missed being killed.

Seems there is a much more serious problem than the sheriff’s department wants to admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214