CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if the body has been released? Maybe it's being held onto due to circumstances of the case?
When I checked at the time it became known that he died from a gunshot to the head, it was noted on the LASD coroner web site that, IIRC, the body had been released. However, maybe that was incorrect. Or, maybe they were going to release and investigators decided not to. They've since pulled the report and a case search yields nothing.

“According to investigators, he was killed in front of his 2 and 4-year-old daughters inside their tent.

Beaudette's stepfather says the girls aren't old enough to understand what happened. He says though they weren't physically harmed, they question why their father hasn't come back from camping.”

Fresno native killed while camping

The individual seems to be a non violent attention seeker with a "Walter Mitty" type spin.

If a similar individual was the shooter, I think they would also be offer to assist the police as a "rugged survival expert / man hunter- ladies take note" type guy so as to receive visible attention.

I like the idea of a seasonal employee. If the shooter is showing intimate knowledge of the park, maybe narrow it further to a seasonal employee whose job is say, trail maintenance. This would give him a lot of knowledge about moving around security gates, using trails to avoid road, not getting lost etc.

As a side note, if the shooter is showing intimate knowledge of the park, USGS survey maps are detailed topographic maps of every part of the U.S. urban and rural. The rural ones show canyons, trails, mountains, steepness of slope, creeks etc etc.

Hikers, hunters, guides, construction companies and natural resource companies tend to order the rural ones. Though not secrets, USGS maps are not widely known or sold (just a few on line companies and a few hiking / outdoor stores). I wonder who has bought the USGS map(s) for the park?

-You can buy the USGS maps from USGS directly.

-We know hardly anything about the personality of the hiker who went missing twice. We do know he’s a scofflaw, thinks highly of himself, is irresponsible, likes attention, and gives no thought to the safety of others.

No sense in dismissing him either individually or others with the same profile from a potential role in this case.

Interesting...makes me wonder whether someone wants to make sure any evidence is destroyed (More bullet casings or fingerprints etc.). Would someone have view of the campsite from that spot on Las Virgenes (opposite side of the Hindu Temple)? Could the shots have come from there?
Upthread, I linked photos of campsites that made it almost certain that someone outside the couldn’t have aimed and shot. Sending a bullet skyward is a whole different possibility.

This is an aside maybe - but I work for a cartographer who sells maps at REI and other outdoor stores. One of the maps is MCSP. The USGS maps are often incorrect. There are trails on those maps that are now completely covered - and covered areas that are now trails. They may show a river but the river dried up, or turned to marsh etc. etc. They're incorrect enough that Search and Rescue doesn't use them. Probably nit-picky but this may be helpful for someone.

Upthread, I linked photos of campsites that made it almost certain that someone outside the couldn’t have aimed and shot. Sending a bullet skyward is a whole different possibility.
Can you explain the shooting skyward comment? Has LE even confirmed whether there were bullet holes in the tent yet? I said this somewhere else - but wouldn't 'they' be able to tell by the wound, or ?? whether the shooter was close or far, and what angle they were shooting from?

Here's a video of the campground. I see abolsutely nothing wrong with a parking space being used by the campers for their babies to ride around on trikes. It's perfect for that if not being used by cars. Safe.

IMO the video you posted does not show children as young as 2-5 riding bikes or playing with toys in an empty MCSP parking spot. As a Mom to two children, I feel it would be a safety hazard if a parent or caretaker let a 2 year olds and or 4 year old ride their bikes or play in #51 vacant parking spot.Google Maps
IMO, I would be concerned about a car coming round the corner or backing out of a parking spot across from #51. "Backover tragedies change the lives of parents, families, and communities forever. The links below will take you to stories of just a few children whose lives were lost, and some near misses, because they could not be seen in the blindzone behind a vehicle..."https://www.kidsandcars.org/how-kids-get-hurt/backovers/
IMO, parking spots are for cars to park in not little ones to use as a play area.
IMO, the camper in video has car parked at camper's assigned parking spot and shows girl years older than age 4 having fun in another campsite's vacant spot. That's one reason if I had #51, I would want my car parked in #51, with my tent so close. That's one reason why I find it strange there was no car at #51 when LE was on scene. IMO, keeping one's assigned parking spot unused could invite other's to play in it or park in it.
IMO, the victim's car may have had daughter's bike and what looks to me like a woman's blue bike still attached to roof that is parked in #49. See the concrete blocks- not safe little ones to play on IMO:

Last edited:
This is an aside maybe - but I work for a cartographer who sells maps at REI and other outdoor stores. One of the maps is MCSP. The USGS maps are often incorrect. There are trails on those maps that are now completely covered - and covered areas that are now trails. They may show a river but the river dried up, or turned to marsh etc. etc. They're incorrect enough that Search and Rescue doesn't use them. Probably nit-picky but this may be helpful for someone.

Many commercial maps are based on USGS maps. Every outdoor store I know has got out of the USGS map business (many as long as 10 years ago), since they could only ever stock the local area, and USGS updates its maps routinely. They are available online. You can see them and print them.

The USGS has coverage for all of the US including the backcountry; commercial companies don’t because they can’t make a buck.

Commercial companies don’t have up-to-date maps either, even for somewhere as egregiously over-populated as the AT, which gets re-routed every season.

IMO the video you posted does not show children as young as 2-5 riding bikes or playing with toys in an empty MCSP parking spot. As a Mom to two children, I feel it would be a safety hazard if a parent or caretaker let a 2 year olds and or 4 year old ride their bikes or play in #51 vacant parking spot.Google Maps
IMO, I would be concerned about a car coming round the corner or backing out of a parking spot across from #51. "Backover tragedies change the lives of parents, families, and communities forever. The links below will take you to stories of just a few children whose lives were lost, and some near misses, because they could not be seen in the blindzone behind a vehicle..."https://www.kidsandcars.org/how-kids-get-hurt/backovers/
IMO, parking spots are for cars to park in not little ones to use as a play area.
IMO, the camper in video has car parked at camper's assigned parking spot and shows girl years older than age 4 having fun in another campsite's vacant spot. That's one reason if I had #51, I would want my car parked in #51, with my tent so close. That's one reason why I find it strange there was no car at #51 when LE was on scene. IMO, keeping one's assigned parking spot unused could invite other's to play in it or park in it.
IMO, the victim's car may have had daughter's bike and what looks to me like a woman's blue bike still attached to roof that is parked in #49. See the concrete blocks- not safe little ones to play on IMO:

This is getting off-topic, however...

Could you maybe cite some car-bicycle campground injuries in the last year?

Like everything else outdoors, there are risks. Risks notwithstanding, campgrounds are busy with kids on bicycles. Car-camping drivers know this.

——

Also, #49 and #51 were both clearly occupied by a variety of things. That may be the point of the way the cars are parked. And, no, campers don’t back into other people’s campsites. They back into the loop road.

I think this probably is just a difference in families/cultures/parenting styles/etc. I've personally camped with groups who intentionally put the cars together like this in one spot and left empty cement parking pads for the kids to ride bikes and play in. I'm going camping again in two weeks and our groups includes kids and we will be doing this same thing.

Because the pull off parking pads at these campgrounds are assigned per site, no one else can park in them. They're reserved for the family who has reserved the site.

-We know hardly anything about the personality of the hiker who went missing twice. We do know he’s a scofflaw, thinks highly of himself, is irresponsible, likes attention, and gives no thought to the safety of others.
True, but there are tens of thousands of people in Los Angles area with those same core personality traits. Granted, he is the only one who is known to have manifested those traits at the Park in a noticeable way. At the same time, simply possessing those traits and being known to frequent the park just does not move him way up on my radar.

Add other known traits like: violent tendencies, tendency to confront others regarding “his” park, confrontational with rangers about regulations / earlier shooting occurred shortly after confrontations etc and that is a different story.
-You can buy the USGS maps from USGS directly.
Thanks.

Counting all sources, my guess is that only a small number of people either order the maps via mail, or buy one "off the shelf" at a hiking / outdoor store. It might be worth checking to see who purchased the maps. Maybe one of the purchasers has other concerns as well.

As a side note, I only knew of one independent store in San Diego county and one in Orange county that stocked USGS maps for SOCAL areas. There were probably a few others in LA. Some of the chain outdoor stores probably do it now. Even still, the number of "off the shelf" sources would be small and map purchases few. Maybe a buyer for the Malibu park area creeped out an employee for some reason.

Last edited:
Can you explain the shooting skyward comment? Has LE even confirmed whether there were bullet holes in the tent yet? I said this somewhere else - but wouldn't 'they' be able to tell by the wound, or ?? whether the shooter was close or far, and what angle they were shooting from?

Clarification needed.... there was a typo in my post. I intended to state that from looking at terrain and vegetation in the park (from campsite photos, linked upthread), it would have been impossible to get a sightline to the victim's tent from outside the park. That meant, the shot is coming from inside the park (and even then the directions are limited) or from outside with a shot fired skywards (i.e. someone was screwing around).

There is an article upthread (Forbes?) about the hazards of shooting skyward.

Many commercial maps are based on USGS maps. Every outdoor store I know has got out of the USGS map business (many as long as 10 years ago), since they could only ever stock the local area, and USGS updates its maps routinely. They are available online. You can see them and print them.

The USGS has coverage for all of the US including the backcountry; commercial companies don’t because they can’t make a buck.

Commercial companies don’t have up-to-date maps either, even for somewhere as egregiously over-populated as the AT, which gets re-routed every season.

“According to investigators, he was killed in front of his 2 and 4-year-old daughters inside their tent.

Beaudette's stepfather says the girls aren't old enough to understand what happened. He says though they weren't physically harmed, they question why their father hasn't come back from camping.”

Fresno native killed while camping

So it looks like both spouses (TB and his wife), were from Fresno. They met in middle school there. They both attended UC Berkeley too, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEnd