CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 #4 *husband arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is is that after all this time, with all the things that have happened, he now becomes a POI. Why not before, why now? What is the piece that's missing?

Actually, it was not LE that named LM a POI but the City Attorney in explaining why the GVRO was first sealed. Take note that a GVRO is a Civil Order and the matter was heard in Civil Court. I further believe 8 News was successful here under FOIA because this is considered a civil matter.

Clearly, LM is POI in the disappearance of MM but I don't expect LE to formally announce such until he's named a suspect and criminally charged.

Personally, I also do not believe the SW's related to MM disappearance will be made public. MM's disappearance is being investigated as a criminal matter and this is an ongoing investigation -- exempt from FOIA.

MOO

Can someone explain a "gun violence restraining order?" Even as a native Californian and registered gun owner, I've never heard of such a thing.

I also do not know any rational, law abiding gun owners that respect the law who would put all their firearms out on display and take pictures of them like that. Did LM post these pics online or were they just found on his devices?

It's the new red flag law. Basically anyone can go to the courts and ask for the GVRO if you believe the owner is a danger to themselves or others.

Interesting information within this news article. The other case mentioned is certainly quite interesting.

San Diego has 10 sealed gun violence restraining orders, Larry Millete's is just one of them | cbs8.com

"The former prosecutor – identified only as “Matthew T” in the gun violence restraining order filed against him – was accused of threatening a political campaign worker on the street in February 2020..."

Interesting information within this news article. The other case mentioned is certainly quite interesting.

San Diego has 10 sealed gun violence restraining orders, Larry Millete's is just one of them | cbs8.com

"The former prosecutor – identified only as “Matthew T” in the gun violence restraining order filed against him – was accused of threatening a political campaign worker on the street in February 2020..."

From the link:

The San Diego City Attorney emailed News 8 the following statement:

"The vast majority of times our Office petitions to have a GVRO sealed, it is (a) to protect the privacy of a juvenile respondent or (b) to prevent a respondent from learning of the GVRO before they are contacted by the police officers tasked with confiscating firearms. The latter is a safety measure designed to protect lives. By the court’s own order, seals expire once the respondent is served or after the first hearing at which a respondent appears. This language is part of every sealed GVRO sought by our Office. At that point, anyone should be able to get an unsealed copy of a GVRO without petitioning the court. Millete is an extremely unusual case about which we cannot comment further at this time."

Interesting that even though the GVRO orders are intended to expire, News 8 discovered all the above were still sealed.

This reminds me of a new law in Colorado that just became effective May 2021 which amended language in public access laws to add enforceable expiration language for sealed criminal case files.

MOO

From the link:

"The vast majority of times our Office petitions to have a GVRO sealed, it is (a) to protect the privacy of a juvenile respondent or (b) to prevent a respondent from learning of the GVRO before they are contacted by the police officers tasked with confiscating firearms. The latter is a safety measure designed to protect lives. By the court’s own order, seals expire once the respondent is served or after the first hearing at which a respondent appears. This language is part of every sealed GVRO sought by our Office. At that point, anyone should be able to get an unsealed copy of a GVRO without petitioning the court. Millete is an extremely unusual case about which we cannot comment further at this time."

Interesting that even though the GVRO orders are intended to expire, News 8 discovered all the above were still sealed.

This reminds me of a new law in Colorado that just became effective May 2021 which amended language in public access laws to add enforceable expiration language for sealed criminal case files.

MOO
I can understand the need for a judge to actively decide to unseal the GVRO in LM's case, since there is an ongoing criminal investigation that potentially involves him. That's reasonable. However, I don't see why the other GVROs wouldn't simply be automatically unsealed when they expire, if that's what the law requires. Curious.

I can understand the need for a judge to actively decide to unseal the GVRO in LM's case, since there is an ongoing criminal investigation that potentially involves him. That's reasonable. However, I don't see why the other GVROs wouldn't simply be automatically unsealed when they expire, if that's what the law requires. Curious.
It's definitely curious, makes you wonder why and what cases they involve.

From the link:

MOO

I have not looked into this too deeply but based on the Judge's comment at the end of the hearing it sounds like it has been an administrative error to not unseal the GVROs once they are served in other cases. Usually one side has to file a motion for the Court to do anything so it seems like maybe the Court clerk didn't realize they were supposed to unseal the documents. Or the City Attorney never filed proof of service with the Court (to trigger unsealing) in these other routine cases.

yea. interesting. i always thought or assumed the freezer was in the garage.
My knowledge of a freezer as discussed in this case was also where it was located in the garage-- to be collected by others.

I believe the photograph, used as evidence in the petition, most likely copied from LM's social media -- a social media post predating MM's disappearance.

I'm sure the same photo was submitted to CPS with a request for child endangerment investigation.

MOO

My knowledge of a freezer as discussed in this case was also where it was located in the garage-- to be collected by others.

I believe the photograph, used as evidence in the petition, most likely copied from LM's social media -- a social media post predating MM's disappearance.

I'm sure the same photo was submitted to CPS with a request for child endangerment investigation.

MOO
Actually I do remember Billy Little, family attorney, did say he noticed the freezer was missing from the garage. So yea, maybe it was in the garage. I believe the photo of LM's artillery was photographed back in 2020.

I have not looked into this too deeply but based on the Judge's comment at the end of the hearing it sounds like it has been an administrative error to not unseal the GVROs once they are served in other cases. Usually one side has to file a motion for the Court to do anything so it seems like maybe the Court clerk didn't realize they were supposed to unseal the documents. Or the City Attorney never filed proof of service with the Court (to trigger unsealing) in these other routine cases.
Thank you, Alethea. That makes sense.

News8 just got the records. David Gotfredson is going through them on the air. It's called a Criminal Investigation in the documents. There's mention also of the children having access to the guns, that's going to be a big deal I would think. It's probably from the photo of son they deemed the children did have access, but maybe they found not all the guns were locked up away from the children. I'm sure a more complete news report will be posted very soon.

San Diego Local News | San Diego's source for Local News, Sports, Weather | cbs8.com

Investigations | cbs8.com

Watch | CBS8 Live and On-Demand Videos | San Diego, California | cbs8.com

Watch the Video! Lots of details within the documents.
The children knew the combination to the gun safe, so that poses a danger to them and gives them access.
2f503967-73df-4e3b-a32b-5947186aaee0_1140x641.jpg

Unsealed records: Disappearance of Maya Millete a ‘criminal investigation’ | cbs8.com

"The minor children in the home had the combination and access to the safe where the firearms were stored," SDPD Detective Garlow wrote in an unsealed declaration.

Wow. Look at those guns, all lined up perfectly like...idk, soldiers. With that baby boy standing right in the middle. Very scary. Very...organized.

I agree! Looks less like a "collection" and more like a cache to me but that's semantics. I'm wondering why anyone would take a picture like this in the first place. Even if this photo has nothing to do with Maya's disappearance, it's still an odd picture to take. Risk versus reward definitely doesn't balance out but that's just my opinion.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member