CA - Nicole Lorraine Linton, 37, speeds through intersection kills 6, including pregnant woman in fiery crash, Los Angeles, 4 Aug. '22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Nurse in LA horror crash will remain in jail for another two weeks

• Nicole Linton, 37, will now appear for her bail hearing on September 12, after a judge agreed to postpone Wednesday's proceeding
  • Deputy DA Antonella Nistorescu filed a motion to delay, saying they needed more time to investigate the nurse's 'mental health episodes' and prior incidents
  • Linton is charged with six counts of murder for the fiery August 4 crash in Los Angeles that killed five people and an unborn baby
Their not thinking of letting her out are they? She needs to stay where she is. She's not even had enough time in jail to get her mental health issues under control. I hope nothing happens except bail being denied!

"Los Angeles prosecutors, on Friday submitted a motion opposing bail for a woman accused of killing six people in a fiery wreck last month, arguing against defense claims that she lost consciousness before the crash."

"Los Angeles prosecutors, on Friday submitted a motion opposing bail for a woman accused of killing six people in a fiery wreck last month, arguing against defense claims that she lost consciousness before the crash.
Yup, it would be pretty difficult to reach 130 MPH while unconscious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, it would be pretty difficult to reach 130 MPH while unconscious.
Agreed! I have been pretty vocal on this thread that I believe she may have legit, real mental health issues…..but I do NOT for one single second believe she had a “lapse of consciousness” and I also do NOT believe she should be roaming free in this world!! Empathy does not equal lesser punishment, IMO!

The article states she floored the gas pedal for at least 5 seconds, going from 122 to 130 mph leading into the crash, and further that there is no evidence she was incapacitated or had lost consciousness at the time of the crash. What the DA is basically saying is this was a deliberate action on the part of the nurse. The prosecutor termed her action "a Nascar worthy performance"--- and that she was in control of steering the vehicle at the time of the crash.

A defense motion filed last month said Linton’s family first became aware of her mental health issues in May 2018. A letter from Linton’s sister, Camille Linton, said that Nicole experienced her first mental breakdown while studying to become a nursing anesthetist at the University of Texas in Houston.

"The stress was too much for her and it ‘broke’ her," Camille Linton wrote. "Thus beginning the journey of Nicole’s 4-year struggle with mental illness."

At the time of the crash, Nicole Linton had been working for West Los Angeles Medical Center. She had expressed to her sister that her co-workers were "acting weird" toward her.

Authorities are requesting Linton be held without bail and receive any needed medical attention in jail.

The 37-year-old traveling nurse from Houston, Texas could face 90 years to life in prison if convicted of all charges.

90 to life, no early parole sounds good. She can receive treatment while incarcerated. Jmo

The available medical records paint a picture of violent and aggressive behavior during past mental health episodes, and show that as early as May 2019, Linton “admitted that she refused to take her prescribed medications,” the prosecutors alleged.

Linton’s statements to officers after the crash contradict her claim that she could not remember the events that led up to it, prosecutors alleged.

"[Linton’s] insight into the circumstances of the crash is incredibly accurate and consistent with the evidence of her driving conduct,” according to the filing.

Prosecutors said she shared that she’d been stressed by work and by problems with one of her sisters, and that she hadn’t slept for four days before the crash.

“Defendant opined that the cause of her collision was her fatigue,” according to the filing. “In jail calls with her sister … days after, [Linton] acknowledged that she should not have gone to work on the day of the crash, stating, ‘five people are dead because of me.’”

A defense motion filed last month said Linton’s family first became aware of her mental health issues in May 2018. A letter from Linton’s sister, Camille Linton, said that Nicole experienced her first mental breakdown while studying to become a nursing anesthetist at the University of Texas in Houston.

"The stress was too much for her and it ‘broke’ her," Camille Linton wrote. "Thus beginning the journey of Nicole’s 4-year struggle with mental illness."

At the time of the crash, Nicole Linton had been working for West Los Angeles Medical Center. She had expressed to her sister that her co-workers were "acting weird" toward her.

Authorities are requesting Linton be held without bail and receive any needed medical attention in jail.

The 37-year-old traveling nurse from Houston, Texas could face 90 years to life in prison if convicted of all charges.

90 to life, no early parole sounds good. She can receive treatment while incarcerated. Jmo

When she floored the gas pedal ,causing her car to act as a missile thru that intersection killing and maiming people, it really is as though she took a gun and shot them. There is no difference and she must pay a steep price for what she did. She must get many years in prison.

Yes, like the driver and the car is the bullet. But unlike shooting a gun, the driver can try to profess it as accidental *eyeroll*
It does seem like a phenomena occurring more and more frequently, like a slightly less direct mass shooting, with the same sickening consequences.

How do we force people to take their meds if their disorder compels them to stop? I’ve had 4 loved ones with bipolar disorder, and all at one point got off their meds for no really good reason (instinct?) but the effects of that were not positive, but yet the desire to give up the meds seemed strong. (In comparison, I have an anxiety disorder and not for a second so I desire to stop taking them!)

Yes, like the driver and the car is the bullet. But unlike shooting a gun, the driver can try to profess it as accidental *eyeroll*
It does seem like a phenomena occurring more and more frequently, like a slightly less direct mass shooting, with the same sickening consequences.

How do we force people to take their meds if their disorder compels them to stop? I’ve had 4 loved ones with bipolar disorder, and all at one point got off their meds for no really good reason (instinct?) but the effects of that were not positive, but yet the desire to give up the meds seemed strong. (In comparison, I have an anxiety disorder and not for a second so I desire to stop taking them!)

Very true. And this is occurring more frequently in the United States, there is a thread here about the Waukesha Parade attack. Very similar situation.

RN of 39 years here. Getting time to run down to the cafeteria was a struggle. On night shift, it wasn’t possible d/t staffing. We just ate in the small lounge behind the nurses desk. What NL did when she left the hospital for longer than her lunch, without the prior knowledge and approval of her charge nurse, or manager, is called patient abandonment. That’s a BIG deal.

I imagine it's different from hospital to hospital but what you described would not happen where I worked. Upper management was well aware of their own liability.
If there were RN's leaving for long periods of time, there would be repercussions against that RN. When a person leaves the unit, someone has to take over care of their patients. With fellow RN's most likely carrying a full load I'm sure it was noticed. I'm disappointed in this particular hospital for being so lax about it.
For sure it’s disappointing and shouldn’t have happened. I’m just saying that I’ve been an RN for over 20 years in different hospitals and have seen some wild behaviour.

RN of 39 years here. Getting time to run down to the cafeteria was a struggle. On night shift, it wasn’t possible d/t staffing. We just ate in the small lounge behind the nurses desk. What NL did when she left the hospital for longer than her lunch, without the prior knowledge and approval of her charge nurse, or manager, is called patient abandonment. That’s a BIG deal.
Well, I don’t know much about nursing these days, but if you left the hospital for longer than your lunch period in “days of yore” it was most definitely called patient abandonment and you could lose your license as well as your job.

It’s very scary to think a woman so mentally ill as this (or whatever her problem was) was taking care of patients. A few minutes before.

My mom has bipolar disorder, but thankfully she’s always been diligent about taking her medication. She’s only had a handful of major episodes, but they all came after an unrelated illness introduced a new medication and threw them all out of wack. There was one instance when she wouldn’t take her medicine, but that’s because she was in the midst of a full blown manic episode and was being antagonistic about everything. There are some antipsychotic medications that the hospital can administer via injection and they last for several weeks. It was a godsend for us in that situation because the injection lasted long enough to bring her down and make her realize she needed to take her medication.

The unpleasant side effects of the medication prescribed for bipolar disorder is the primary reason people don’t want to take them. The side effects are different for everyone; the medication that works for one person might not work for another. Finding the perfect combination and dosage — one that will effectively stabilize the patient’s mood and have the fewest side effects possible — is a very delicate balancing act that often requires a great deal of trial and error. Unfortunately, most people don’t have the time or patience (much less the support) to deal with that. It can be scary and frustrating and feel defeating and hopeless, but finding the right balance IS possible. My mom is proof of that (her last major episode was 11 years ago) even though it hasn’t always been easy. Alas, few things in life ever are.

Last edited:
Monday, Sept. 12th:
*Bond Review Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) - CA - 6 killed (Victims: Asherey Ryan (23), her son Alonzo Luchiano Quintero (11 mos.), her unborn baby boy Armani Lester & her boyfriend Reynold Lester (24), Nathesia Lewis (42) & Lynette Noble (38) & 8 injured (the other victims had minor injuries & included a 33-year-old woman & another adult (19 years old) plus six children ranging in age from 1 to 15 years old) as woman speeds (~90mph in a 35mph zone) thru intersection at the La Brea-Slauson in West Los Angeles in a fiery 7-car crash, August 4, 2022, Windsor Hills, Los Angeles) - Nicole Lorraine Linton (37) arrested (8/4/22), charged (8/8/22) with vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence. Re-charged (8/8/22) with 6 counts of murder & 5 counts of gross vehicular manslaughter. $2M bond. Bond changed (8/7/22) to $9M. Judge changed (8/8/22) to no bond. Her car appears to be a 2018 Mercedes-Benz E400 4Matic Coupe per fostercrusader.
Case info from 8/7/22 to 8/30/22 reference post #526 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-woman-in-fiery-crash-4-aug-22.632184/page-27

8/31/22 Update: Linton will now appear for her bail hearing on 9/12/22, after a judge agreed to postpone Wednesday's proceeding. Deputy DA Antonella Nistorescu filed a motion to delay, saying they needed more time to investigate the nurse's 'mental health episodes' & prior incidents. Linton is charged with 6 counts of murder for the fiery August 4 crash in Los Angeles that killed 5 people & an unborn baby. Arraignment hearing on 10/26/22.
9/9/22: Linton accelerated to 130mph just before the crash, according to new court documents filed Friday. The motion, filed by the Los Angeles County district attorney's office in response to claims by the nurse's attorneys that she had lost consciousness before the collision, states that Linton "was conscious & deliberate in her driving." Authorities originally estimated Linton's car was traveling 90mph when it crashed into multiple vehicles at the intersection of La Brea & Slauson avenues shortly after 1:30pm on Aug. 4, 2022. "Further analysis reveals that her speed at impact was in fact 130mph & that she floored the gas pedal for at least the 5 seconds leading into the crash, going from 122mph to 130mph," Friday's court filing said. Prosecutors said analysis of the Mercedes' recorded data & surveillance video indicates that Linton had "complete control over steering, maintaining the tilt of the steering wheel to keep her car traveling directly toward the crowded intersection."

The available medical records paint a picture of violent and aggressive behavior during past mental health episodes, and show that as early as May 2019, Linton “admitted that she refused to take her prescribed medications,” the prosecutors alleged.

Linton’s statements to officers after the crash contradict her claim that she could not remember the events that led up to it, prosecutors alleged.

"[Linton’s] insight into the circumstances of the crash is incredibly accurate and consistent with the evidence of her driving conduct,” according to the filing.

Prosecutors said she shared that she’d been stressed by work and by problems with one of her sisters, and that she hadn’t slept for four days before the crash.

“Defendant opined that the cause of her collision was her fatigue,” according to the filing. “In jail calls with her sister … days after, [Linton] acknowledged that she should not have gone to work on the day of the crash, stating, ‘five people are dead because of me.’”

She hadn't slept in 4 days... I hadn't heard that bit of info.

I didn't see anything on local news this morning about the 8:30 a.m. bond hearing. I will check back later in the day. It's inconceivable to me that she might be released.

Court site still has it scheduled for today...

Upcoming Scheduled Events

Date Time Location Dept/Room Number
September 12, 2022 08:30 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 030 BAIL REVIEW

October 26, 2022 08:30 AM Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center 030 ARRAIGNMENT AND PLEA

link: Criminal Case Summary - Online Services - LA Court

so hope it happens!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes