CA - Sam Haskell, 35, arrested after woman's torso found in a trash bin in Encino LA, Tarzana, wife & two adult family members missing, 8 Nov 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The neighbors children claim they heard screams the night before the arrest NY Post. I feel so sad for the young boys for what they witnessed.

The neighbor also mention Mei is only child and met Sam at school at CSUN.
This is a nightmare.

According to the acticle you linked D Parton is the godmother to the boys.

I wonder what kind of relationship SH has with is parents. (Does anyone know if he has any siblings?)

He had that previous assault incident about 15 years ago (when he would have been in his very early 20s). I also wonder what that case was about.
He has a younger sister named Mary Lane Haskell who is an actress. There seem to be many photos of his parents with Mary but not with SH. Though one article stated the neighbors have seen his parents before and they are always around the kids.

That timing doesn't make sense to me. He was arrested on Nov 8 so the night before would be Nov 7, wouldn't it? But the bags were being dumped during the day on Nov 7.

The remains in the dumpster weren't discovered until Wednesday, Nov 8th at 6:15 am.

According to LE more evidence/body parts were found at the home after SH was arrested. I'm assuming that's what the screams could have been.

11/6/23, Monday -MH, YW, and LG were last seen. SH possibly murdered MH, YW and LG on this date

11/7/23, Tuesday - SH payed workers ($500) to remove "bags of rocks" from garage.

11/7/23, Tuesday, 4:45pm - Sam is caught on video (6 miles from his home) in his white Tesla throwing a bag into a dumpster near Ventura Blvd & Rubio Ave, Encino

11/7/23, 5:30pm Tuesday - Hired workers reported that body parts were in bags outside the home. When LE arrived the bags were gone. (4115 Coldstream Terrace, Tarzana, CA)

11/7/23, Tuesday, 9:00pm - neighbor’s daughter heard a scream from one of the Haskell children Help! Help! Hello?’ And then she heard a car door slam and screeching of tires and a car driving off.”

11/8/23, Wednesday, 6:15am -Homeless man reported women's remains in a dumpster near Ventura Blvd & Rubio Ave, Encino

11/8/23, Wednesday, 11:25am - SH arrested at Topanga mall, held with no bail.

Yep, there is. But I don't usually watch ABC7 (it's a local channel, I have no antenna - no one in my neighborhood has an antenna). We use apps. My TV app presents me with snippets of local news (we rarely watch it). I have 250 students right now - various ages (average around 22 years, up to 45, with an occasional outlier). I poll them on current events a couple of times a semester.

They do not know a volcano is about to erupt in Iceland. They do not know an atmospheric river is approaching Los Angeles (despite me showing flooding videos in most classes, to talk about infrastructure and natural selection). I bet that even on Monday, most will not know of the federally declared disaster in downtown L.A. (which is at the top of the news cycle and at the top of L.A. Times - if they aren't reading big headlines, they're not poring over local crime news).

The story you posted was published on October 11.

Police were looking for a POI and apparently found him on October 8 - at which point, a few small articles have appeared. But if it were not for my interest in true crime and my use of the "What's new" feature on WS, I wouldn't have known about it, even now.

Now that the dismemberment and the arrest are linked, there is more local news coverage - but that is not what helped find this POI. It'll be trickling through various news sources throughout the week, but almost no one just goes to youtube every day to watch all of ABC7's coverage (or any coverage). A few people my age do listen to NPR, but NPR doesn't do a lot of local crime news.

I am not saying there's no local coverage. I'm just saying that virtually no one watches local coverage. I'm sure there are studies of who does watch it. We read newspapers in my household; my students do not read news at all. Most teachers are aware of this and try to give strong incentives for them to read the news, if it fits the course subject, even then, it's like pulling teeth.

I don't know how anyone goes about finding news if they don't already know the subject matter. My DH just told me that he saw a small article on SFGate on the 10th. He didn't read the article, didn't know it was so close to where we live.

Here's Sfgate today

If you didn't know the name of the suspect or that body parts had been found, how would you find the story? Things of this nature roll off the main news pages very quickly.

It's still up top on ABC7 - but note that he does not mention the gruesome nature of the crime, the man's name or anything else that I could search for once it's off the front page. Just says audio provides clues in a murder, etc.

So people who saw any part of this crime or its cover-up are unlikely to connect it to this story unless some other coverage takes place. Indeed, I have no clue as of right now when exactly the crime is alleged to have occurred - but I'll search this thread for it before I would click through any more news stories (most of which contain fewer details

IMO.
I must be old school. I still watch T.V. news daily and read the L.A. Times.

The remains in the dumpster weren't discovered until Wednesday, Nov 8th at 6:15 am.
But the Latino workers were asked to dispose of the garbage bags on the 7th. He was arrested on the 8th. So the screams heard by the neighbors "the night before he was arrested" would have been on the night of the 7th, yet the workers were moving the bags earlier that day.

But the Latino workers were asked to dispose of the garbage bags on the 7th. He was arrested on the 8th. So the screams heard by the neighbors "the night before he was arrested" would have been on the night of the 7th, yet the workers were moving the bags earlier that day.
According to LE more evidence/body parts were found at the home after SH was arrested. I'm assuming that's what the screams could have been.

I'm confused. (and, yes, I confuse easily)
So when do you presume these screams happened? The article mentioned that neighbors heard screams the night PRIOR to his arrest. Are you implying that other family members were killed after the Latino workers were hired to pick up the heavy garbage bags?

I'm confused. (and, yes, I confuse easily)
So when do you presume these screams happened? The article mentioned that neighbors heard screams the night PRIOR to his arrest. Are you implying that other family members were killed after the Latino workers were hired to pick up the heavy garbage bags?
Actually LE has not said body parts were found at the home. A neighbor said that in a news article, but in the Pressor, LE would not comment on what was found other than blood and evidence of a crime.

I’m confused also, what the neighbor reported doesn’t fit the timeline known so far. But I guess it’s possible he murdered them over multiple days. Hopefully more details from LE will be released soon. So far they have only spoke to the media once.

11/6/23, Monday -MH, YW, and LG were last seen. SH possibly murdered MH, YW and LG on this date

11/7/23, Tuesday - SH payed workers ($500) to remove "bags of rocks" from garage.

11/7/23, Tuesday, 4:45pm - Sam is caught on video (6 miles from his home) in his white Tesla throwing a bag into a dumpster near Ventura Blvd & Rubio Ave, Encino

11/7/23, 5:30pm Tuesday - Hired workers reported that body parts were in bags outside the home. When LE arrived the bags were gone. (4115 Coldstream Terrace, Tarzana, CA)

11/7/23, Tuesday, 9:00pm - neighbor’s daughter heard a scream from one of the Haskell children Help! Help! Hello?’ And then she heard a car door slam and screeching of tires and a car driving off.”

11/8/23, Wednesday, 6:15am -Homeless man reported women's remains in a dumpster near Ventura Blvd & Rubio Ave, Encino

11/8/23, Wednesday, 11:25am - SH arrested at Topanga mall, held with no bail.

With this timeline, I wonder if one of the kids stumbled onto/into an area with blood/where the murders may have taken place? Moo.

He has a younger sister named Mary Lane Haskell who is an actress. There seem to be many photos of his parents with Mary but not with SH. Though one article stated the neighbors have seen his parents before and they are always around the kids.
This is a nightmare.

According to the acticle you linked D Parton is the godmother to the boys.
Right after this all happened there was a very beautiful picture of her with Haskells parents + him & his family on Instagram. I can’t find it anymore, but it was also a better & more beautiful picture of Mei than what they use in the newspapers. You could see they were close.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back