Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh My! That looks pretty creepy in its current condition. But if my hubs wanted to do a reno, I would totally be in!!!

This is the house that drew my attention. This is probably nothing but as I have been trying to look around for possible sites that SP could have been kept at I thought I would post it. I think it may have a basement if you zoom right close but am not sure. It looks abandoned but it's hard to say for sure

Google Streetview Link

The houses location in relation to where SP was dropped off, SS from the Case Map

View attachment 105949

This is an interesting thought and could warrant investigating. But several threads back we discussed the clamps and reality is, there probably isn't a homeowner here that doesn't have them. I counted 6 in my laundry room alone (chain is in the garage). No judging, please.

In your laundry room, yes, but probably not in your car!

Oh,absolutely.

Criminals often ARE stupid. If they were intelligent, they wouldn't need to commit crimes; they'd find legitimate ways to make money and support themselves.

I know criminals are stupid, but this would be beyond stupid. I just can't see someone risking everything that he has, planning a case like this, and not expect to be fully investigated.

And I can understand why he won't respond about the Stacy Smart case. With all the criticism this has brought him, he's probably rethinking things.

IMO LE started watching him, the moment he showed up. I wouldn't be surprised if they tapped him. I just think he'd at least be a POI by now if he was involved. But, I could be wrong. I'll admit I'm not perfect.

BBM. The police log you're referring to was a person who wanted to remain anonymous and contacted a family friend to report the tip rather than LE. No where was it stated that a family friend was holding a woman against her will.

Speaking of the police logs, did I read somewhere that KP's call on 11/2 to report Sheri missing was not electronically logged?

Jmo it really just takes one person to release someone. As opposed to kidnapping, at least. Does not necessarily reflect the personailty of the driver the day she reappeared.

Did anyone call the hospitals nearby to check if Sherri was there that evening?

I assume that's part of what LE and families do when a loved one goes missing, but honestly that seems like so long ago I can't remember for sure.
:(

True. But we don't know if she was actually shackled when abducted or knocked out and held at gunpoint till they got to the destination. I know KP said that whenever she was in the vehicle, she was chained to something, but I can't see abducting her and putting her in the front seat. Makes more sense to me that she would've been forced into the backseat with the 2nd perp and made to lie on the floor. JMO

In your laundry room, yes, but probably not in your car!

Oh My! That looks pretty creepy in its current condition. But if my hubs wanted to do a reno, I would totally be in!!!

Super creepy, and looks like an ideal spot to keep a prisoner, but wouldn't LE have done an intense house to house search if SP was only driven for 5 minutes and then released? Of course she could been driven around in circles, but if you're willing to do that, may as well drive farther away for the release.

Perhaps the person who released SP had been tasked with killing her, and couldn't do it. Told to take her to the middle of nowhere, shoot her and dump the body. Now that person is on the run from the people in charge.

I know criminals are stupid, but this would be beyond stupid. I just can't see someone risking everything that he has, planning a case like this, and not expect to be fully investigated.

And I can understand why he won't respond about the Stacy Smart case. With all the criticism this has brought him, he's probably rethinking things.

IMO LE started watching him, the moment he showed up. I wouldn't be surprised if they tapped him. I just think he'd at least be a POI by now if he was involved. But, I could be wrong. I'll admit I'm not perfect.

That it would be beyond
stupid, I agree. Look; the man thinks that he can turn the whole industry of hostage negotiations around by offering criminals ransoms. Many LE experts already frown upon ransom in the traditional sense (person is kidnapped and the perps demand ransom). But to suddenly start the practice of offering money to criminals sets a dangerous precedent and encourages the commission of more crimes in order to extract ransoms.

Sorry, but for a guy who essentially claims he's some kind of a "international star hostage negotiatior" to suggest a "reverse ransom" is beyond stupid.

He was also stupid enough to claim he had a 501(c)(3) charity when he didn't. He was even stupider to admit to collection donations under the auspices of that "charity".

Where exactly was she released? I keep looking for a map site and I can't seem to find it. I know it must have been posted at one time or another. I keep thinking the Thanksgiving morning thing isn't a coincidence. Anyone looked at the surrounding area to see what's around from a google aerial view? Would be interesting to know how long she was in the vehicle before she was dumped out and how far off the road the vehicle was when this happened. 150 miles south of where she was originally abducted...what's between those two areas?

We don't know where she was released. She was recovered on Northbound I-5 just south of Yolo (Exit 542). The witness reported that she was on the gore point between highway and the exit ramp.

Some of the crime scene video shows LEOs searching the southbound exit ramp. Since she was located on the northbound ramp, and they were searching the southbound ramp, I think that could have been the location she was released. Though why she would have walked from the southbound to the northbound ramp, I have no idea. Except maybe she was disoriented.

I agree. I don't think the Thanksgiving release was a coincidence.

As for what is around there? Not much. A church, a drilling company and a couple of trucking companies.

As for the areas. The area around Redding is mountains. The area to the south, where she was found is in the Central Valley. Mostly farm land.

True. But we don't know if she was actually shackled when abducted or knocked out and held at gunpoint till they got to the destination. I know KP said that whenever she was in the vehicle, she was chained to something, but I can't see abducting her and putting her in the front seat. Makes more sense to me that she would've been forced into the backseat with the 2nd perp and made to lie on the floor. JMO

I don't understand the chain around her waist at all in a car...child proof locks are standard in most cars since the Edsel. I guess if they really had it all thought out and had her waist chained to something under a seat...but that would be awkward. Hog tying seems eaier...not that I'd know...jmo

#1 seems unlikely to me in view of the brutal treatment SP endured. These are not nice people. And for the same reason, #2 seems odd. That also involves a change of heart to some degree. There would always be a chance that SP could help identify the perps, so releasing her posed a risk. It would seem easier to makes excuses and cancel any Thanksgiving plans rather than risk being ID'ed as kidnappers. If that was impossible, then I would think they would temporarily stash her elsewhere, or dispose of her (I hate typing that).

I continue to be surprised that anyone capable of such violence didn't end SP's life rather than free a potential witness. Thank God it ended the way it did, but it continues to seem very unusual to me.

People commit different crimes, for different reasons. They don't all commit the same crimes.

Maybe they didn't want to cancel their Thanksgiving plans. What were they going to do, call up their relatives and say, Sorry we have to cancel Thanksgiving. Something came up. That would be pretty suspicious to most people. People would ask why?

Care to elaborate on why her being left handed has any bearing on this case?
Sure. There has been speculation that during the 20/20 interview the interviewer gestured possibly indicating where the brand was and I believe that is the left forearm. The brand is possibly significant in this case for a number of reasons not the least of which is who is the message meant for.

Now we all do something that we never pay attention to or have to think about. Whenever we are doing something with our hands we are almost always using our dominant hand and if we are ever actually looking at what we are doing that is also the hand/arm that we will be looking at. It will also be the hand/arm others will see while we are doing something in front of them.

So, if you want to have someone actually be able to receive this message (read it) you would put it where it most likely would be seen - especially if the message is meant for the victim. Left-handers are uncommon, so why the left arm?

Was the placement of the brand arbitrary? You get one shot at putting it exactly where you want it.

I am also keyed into what KP said about the left arm being the one chained to something in the car and the other to her waist. In order to hook up the left hand, for example, if done from the passenger side of the vehicle it would require one of the perpetrators to reach across someone (that might just decide to fight for their life) in order to do it. Otherwise that would have to be done from the driver's side. So, why chain the left hand to the inside of the vehicle? Why not the right?

Now, it would only be significant to me if every time Sherri was moved in a car it was always the left hand that was chained to the inside of the vehicle.

By the way, all of this is moot if she is not left-handed and the brand is not on the left arm.

As best I can tell, the basement reference started with the Daily Mail article which in itself was a re-hash of the 20/20 interview. Chris Spargo has the byline on that article at one point: at another he shares the byline with Anneta Konstantinides.

Other sites have re-published the Daily Mail article, and creepycrusher posted some of those links. But it started with the Daily Mail.

I have reached out to both of the reporters on social media. I'll report back here if they respond.

Thank you!

Good critical thinking. Several members on the thread now live in CA or have resided there before. I spent a nice long vacation in Napa Valley after flying into Sacramento International. S is like so many other large cities in America where we find blight, barren and crime-ridden demolished areas. Napa, otoh, is totally an escape from the hustle and bustle although I have not returned since the devastating wildfires.

Could the Hispanic captors have been field workers or grape smashers for one of the many vineyards? We really need to narrow down this basement thingy. I read last night, in one of the multiple online news articles, that someone posted a link to, that SP was held in a basement; however, it was not in quotes.

Do the homes in and around Napa have basements? I would say, "O, heck, yeah! Duh." Wine is stored in basements in Napa Valley and, of course, other grape growing areas in CA, too. The best asparagus I've ever eaten was grown fresh in this area.

Hi DeeDee,

My previous career was in the wine industry. I lived and worked in SF, Napa, Sonoma for quite some time. I have never been in a home in Northern California that has a basement. This is due to the constant earth movement that occurs in the region. Although you do find wine caves these very rarely have any structure build atop them. There are exceptions - such as Opus winery...but this is an exception. These caves are dug and shot-crete is blown to create the walls. Not only does this material breath but it also can give and take with the earth's movements.
Regarding the vineyard workers. They are seasonal workers that don't live in the U.S and have a culture all their own. Generations of men and women have worked in our fields. And they are proud of their work and extremely accomplished. Very few live in this country. They earn money and wire it home weekly. Often their families will live the remainder of the year on the proceeds of one season's work. I spent many seasons worked with them ,side by side, in the fields. They won my admiration, my respect and taught me how to take pride in my work - no matter how menial.
These are not the type of people that are involved in gangs or sex trafficking. They might get drunk and get in a little bit of trouble...but that's it. They would have to know people in the US, have a car, have a cell phone..and often they don;t have these things.
Got a little carried away...sorry such a long post. Very nostalgic:)

I assume that's part of what LE and families do when a loved one goes missing, but honestly that seems like so long ago I can't remember for sure.
:(
Because of HIPAA law, ER staff is not permitted to give out that info over the phone to anybody except LE. And even then, it requires a process of verification (even if the ER staff personally knows the LEO on the other end of the phone).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteCamo