CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some studies on people who have attempted to jump off the GGB http://seattlefriends.org/files/seiden_study.pdf and what happened. Here is one of them by a professor at UC Berkeley, but it was published quite a while ago.

In the UNC youtube video where Syd West was interviewed, at around the 6:40 mark she discusses struggles with anxiety and OCD. I don't think that the OCD has been brought up before in the thread so far, but if you listen at that section
that starts with the sentences about thoughts swirling and then the part about anxiety and OCD, she clearly states she has struggled with OCD. I don't think that she tried to keep this private, because after all, she spoke about it publicly on a youtube video.

The severity of anxiety and OCD can be completely debilitating so that people cannot function leading to a complete breakdown.
ITA regarding OCD having the potential for causing much anxiety...(as it STEMS FROM anxiety)...
that can lead to breakdowns...

There are some studies on people who have attempted to jump off the GGB http://seattlefriends.org/files/seiden_study.pdf and what happened. Here is one of them by a professor at UC Berkeley, but it was published quite a while ago.

In the UNC youtube video where Syd West was interviewed, at around the 6:40 mark she discusses struggles with anxiety and OCD. I don't think that the OCD has been brought up before in the thread so far, but if you listen at that section
that starts with the sentences about thoughts swirling and then the part about anxiety and OCD, she clearly states she has struggled with OCD. I don't think that she tried to keep this private, because after all, she spoke about it publicly on a youtube video.

The severity of anxiety and OCD can be completely debilitating so that people cannot function leading to a complete breakdown.
ITA regarding OCD having the potential for causing much anxiety...(as it STEMS FROM anxiety)...
that can lead to breakdowns...

Does anybody think it could be a possibility that she wanted people to think she jumped and purposely walked on the bridge to be seen there and ditched her phone after it was last pinged in that location? And then maybe ran away with the supposed tuition money hoping people wouldn't come looking for her? Idk just an idea.

When I listen to Syd in the posted video, she is a well thought out woman. She has taken on board things that many people far older than she do not understand. She has coping mechanisms for her anxiety. She reminds herself that things are not important, to take a deep breath.

I have been trying hard to understand why Syd withdrew from University. In the book I recently read - a 19 year old in a similar situation to Syd - he never once thought about withdrawing. He many times wanted to (and almost did) end his life.
The college people that I have read about, who have ended their lives, did not withdraw prior.

Withdrawing from University is not a prerequisite to ending your life.
Syd waited around until a refund for tuition should have been issued.

And we no longer know that there have been no sightings. Syd's parents recently stated that there have been tips - tips that have been/are being followed up.
I agree that withdrawing is not a prerequisite for suicide, however, it could potentially be a contributing factor if she did jump. If she felt she made a mistake and wanted to go back to school she may have felt it was too late or if her family had a negative reaction to her withdrawing she may have felt as if it was over. That’s all I meant, as someone who has ocd and it is not uncommon to obsess and have intrusive thoughts about something which can lead to feeling hopeless, depressed, or even suicidal. I also think people can act on impulses when upset or going through something like this. I know many suicides/suicide attempts are acted on impulse.

Does anybody think it could be a possibility that she wanted people to think she jumped and purposely walked on the bridge to be seen there and ditched her phone after it was last pinged in that location? And then maybe ran away with the supposed tuition money hoping people wouldn't come looking for her? Idk just an idea.

Welcome to Websleuths @fd123456. Anything is possible and I think we all hope she’s somewhere that didn’t involve jumping from the Bridge. I’m not sure she would try to fool her family that way, but honestly, if she wasn’t thinking straight it might seem like a good way to start over somewhere. Sadly, we may never know what happened and in my experience here, if it looks like it may be suicide, it usually is. :(

I agree that withdrawing is not a prerequisite for suicide, however, it could potentially be a contributing factor if she did jump. If she felt she made a mistake and wanted to go back to school she may have felt it was too late or if her family had a negative reaction to her withdrawing she may have felt as if it was over. That’s all I meant, as someone who has ocd and it is not uncommon to obsess and have intrusive thoughts about something which can lead to feeling hopeless, depressed, or even suicidal. I also think people can act on impulses when upset or going through something like this. I know many suicides/suicide attempts are acted on impulse.

Yes, I completely understood what you meant. :)
I very much understand that there is a strong indication of the reason why Syd was seen in the bridge area.

I really am not trying to push back on that line of thinking. But wouldn't it be good if that wasn't what happened? So I am trying to explore alternatives.

I am more than curious to know what the tips are that Syd's parents have received, as stated in their most recent video. And they are calling for more tips "no matter how small". Perhaps these tips have led Syd's parents to not be as resigned to her fate as they could be?

I think a really good indicator might be if there was any significant return of tuition money and, if so, who it went to. Syd or her parents. Because if it went to her parents, they likely knew that Syd withdrew. And if it went to Syd, where is it?

Also, if the tuition was in the form of a student loan, would Syd's parents have received a notification/verification that the loan was terminated, once Syd withdrew?

Last edited:
Yes, I completely understood what you meant. :)
I very much understand that there is a strong indication of the reason why Syd was seen in the bridge area.

I really am not trying to push back on that line of thinking. But wouldn't it be good if that wasn't what happened? So I am trying to explore alternatives.

I am more than curious to know what the tips are that Syd's parents have received, as stated in their most recent video. And they are calling for more tips "no matter how small". Perhaps these tips have led Syd's parents to not be as resigned to her fate as they could be?

I think a really good indicator might be if there was any significant return of tuition money and, if so, who it went to. Syd or her parents. Because if it went to her parents, they likely knew that Syd withdrew. And if it went to Syd, where is it?

Also, if the tuition was in the form of a student loan, would Syd's parents have received a notification/verification that the loan was terminated, once Syd withdrew?
I agree, I really really hope she is still out there. I just feel as if it would have been mentioned by law enforcement or her parents that she had recently received a significant amount of money, I think that would be a pretty big detail to leave out if the money was returned to her and unaccounted for. I don’t think she has access to it regardless though because I think if her parents/law enforcement thought there was any possibility that she may have the money they would have mentioned it and most likely be pushing the runaway theory more.

is it possible that she was as horrific as it may be, abducted?

I agree, I really really hope she is still out there. I just feel as if it would have been mentioned by law enforcement or her parents that she had recently received a significant amount of money, I think that would be a pretty big detail to leave out if the money was returned to her and unaccounted for. I don’t think she has access to it regardless though because I think if her parents/law enforcement thought there was any possibility that she may have the money they would have mentioned it and most likely be pushing the runaway theory more.

Yes, that is still a scary possibility. Until Syd's whereabouts are known, everything is still on the table. IMO

I would like to know more about her backpack. Did she have it with her, and then was seen without it? If so, what happened to it? Are people supposed to be keeping an eye out for it? Or has it been found?

We really are not getting any details that would not breach Syd's privacy that could be of help.

Last edited:
I'm also curious about her clothing, glasses, and backpack. The lack of clearity regarding what she had on when makes me think there is no detailed video footage from that morning, but I don't want to assume.

If she had a large amount of cash (tuition refund) with her, it would give more hope.

We really are not getting any details that would not breach Syd's privacy that could be of help.

This puzzles me as well. Very basic details about the circumstances in the weeks leading up to Syd’s disappearance might have made all the difference in finding her. Sometimes the potential benefits outweigh the risks.

Some have speculated that the family does not want the public’s assistance in finding Syd. Why, then, would they go to the trouble of organizing vigils, creating pages on social media, and designing “Find Sydney West” t-shirts and face masks?

I don't think LE or the family would announce it if they thought she might have thousands of dollars on her. Wouldn't that make her a target for robbery/abduction, if that's not what already happened?

I wonder if she had a dispute with her parents over who should get the money and told them she was taking it and running. They probably wanted it back if she wasn't attending Berkeley as planned. Maybe she thought she should be able to use it to go to community college or whatever her plans were for this year after withdrawing. That could explain why there wasn't a greater emphasis on searching from the get go.

Another note about the money -- the article posted upthread from the perspective of the GGB painter said people occasionally jump with their life savings. I really hope that's not what happened here, but the possibility that she had the money does make it interesting.

JMO.

I don't think LE or the family would announce it if they thought she might have thousands of dollars on her. Wouldn't that make her a target for robbery/abduction, if that's not what already happened?

I wonder if she had a dispute with her parents over who should get the money and told them she was taking it and running. They probably wanted it back if she wasn't attending Berkeley as planned. Maybe she thought she should be able to use it to go to community college or whatever her plans were for this year after withdrawing. That could explain why there wasn't a greater emphasis on searching from the get go.

Another note about the money -- the article posted upthread from the perspective of the GGB painter said people occasionally jump with their life savings. I really hope that's not what happened here, but the possibility that she had the money does make it interesting.

JMO.
I agree, I just think they would be pushing the runaway theory a lot more or there would be sightings. I also have seen in countless other missing person cases where the person has had a large amount of money or withdrew money and it is almost always mentioned.

I also agree with the painter and know that people jump with their life savings and that finance isn’t an end all be all, but I think if she had the money, that could potentially be a game changer.

Investigation update: Please share this new, short video on your social channels and - especially for people who commute or exercise on or near San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge on Wednesday mornings - Syd was last seen at approx 6:45am on Wednesday, September 30 at the Golden Gate Bridge. If you or anybody you know saw anything that morning or have seen Sydney since that morning, please contact SF Police 415-575-4444 and our private investigator at 925-705-8328. Leads continue to come in and all are being investigated. Thank you for your help and support to #FindSydneyWest #sanfrancisco
Investigation update on Sydney West

This puzzles me as well. Very basic details about the circumstances in the weeks leading up to Syd’s disappearance might have made all the difference in finding her. Sometimes the potential benefits outweigh the risks.

Some have speculated that the family does not want the public’s assistance in finding Syd. Why, then, would they go to the trouble of organizing vigils, creating pages on social media, and designing “Find Sydney West” t-shirts and face masks?
I think the family strongly suspects that she jumped but cannot accept it (I don’t blame them) and are therefore not sharing any info - there’s no other explanation for the refusal to release basic details that could’ve helped early on, or let her roommates talk.

If she ran away, I humbly think that they could have and should have released more details early on.

edit: abduction seems like a total non-starter. No reports of the police using dogs to track her (standard procedure), no volunteers asked to register and join search efforts, no BOLO for a car with #### license plate if she was taken from the bridge, no reward, and absolutely no language from parents or police to suggest abduction. If she was last seen on the bridge between 6:45-7, someone would’ve seen or heard something if she was taken against her will. It’s not a ghost town.

Last edited:
I like to think that there is as good of a chance of that as any other.

This is a well travelled girl. She has been to a few places. Worked with the under-privileged overseas. Done some really good things in her life. She is not a sheltered homebody. She knows how to get from place to place.

Why would she stay in San Fran/CA where she might be found? If being found is not on her agenda.
Why would she turn to known friends if hiding out is her aim? Why would she stick around to perhaps be judged when she chose to withdraw from her studies, be compared to others who are still studying, be 'encouraged' to resume 'normal' life? A life she seems to have no longer wanted.

She didn't have to withdraw from studies, if she wanted to end her life. There is a reason for her withdrawal. Perhaps it was to get a chunk of money?

I did this twice, I let people know where I was going and I didn't withdrawal from college but the second time I wasn't so sure I was coming back to college. I eventually did and people knew where I was the entire time but I 100% get this line of thinking and can see some of myself in this young lady.

1) Is it too early for someone to start a wiki page on “The Disappearance of Sydney West” and 2) would it help raise awareness and ensure that credible info (the tiny amount that there is) is in one place?

After the election tomorrow, Trump/Biden will be the main focus and I worry that Syd’s story will be forgotten.

Investigation update: Please share this new, short video on your social channels and - especially for people who commute or exercise on or near San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge on Wednesday mornings - Syd was last seen at approx 6:45am on Wednesday, September 30 at the Golden Gate Bridge. If you or anybody you know saw anything that morning or have seen Sydney since that morning, please contact SF Police 415-575-4444 and our private investigator at 925-705-8328. Leads continue to come in and all are being investigated. Thank you for your help and support to #FindSydneyWest #sanfrancisco
Investigation update on Sydney West

After coming here to catch up on this case, the fact that she was actually seen on the Golden Gate bridge is extremely concerning. I already was very strongly in the self harm camp but now, for me, this seals it. I truly hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not, I pray that her body is recovered and her family can get closure.

1) Is it too early for someone to start a wiki page on “The Disappearance of Sydney West” and 2) would it help raise awareness and ensure that credible info (the tiny amount that there is) is in one place?

After the election tomorrow, Trump/Biden will be the main focus and I worry that Syd’s story will be forgotten.

RBBM

Syd's story will not be forgotten. We'll keep posting on her thread, and checking to see if there are updates.

Hoping and praying Syd is found soon.

JMVHO.

blueHopeReturnKey.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads